Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Silverfish

Arbiter
You can't argue with someone who fails at basic logic.

I don't know about that. I argued with you for a bit, actually.

Hell Swarm

Learned
I would like to discuss Elden ring instead of having 2 autistic spergs try to copy and paste reddit at you every time you point out a flaw.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

You can't still be bitter that you posted a video that like two people weren't impressed by.

You still can't get over the fact i'm beating all the bosses normally, much like i did in the original game without the slighest change of pace, which debunks the notion this DLC somehow crossed a "threshold" the basic game never did.

As far as i'm concerned, so far the DLC is basically the exact same shit as the base game. There are some changes but it's not drammatically different.

Furthermore, if my fights are not "impressive", that proves my point even more, doesn't it? There are thousands of people who are far better at this game than i am. There are some in this very forum who are also more skilled than me, like NJClaw. So if i can beat those bosses without even getting hit, how can this DLC be so hard?

Maybe all the people who were screetching at this DLC, like Asmongold who did a lot to propagate this idea the DLC went overboard with the difficutly, just sucked at the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, i just learned somebody sued FromSoft because the game is too teh hard lmao. Was that you Hell Warm?

Hell Swarm

Learned
You still can't get over the fact i'm beating all the bosses normally,
Do we need to repeat this argument again retard boy? It's not 'normal' to stack buffs so high you completely skip boss phases. That is by definition abnormal. Are we going back to 'From intended you to skip entire phases, they worked on them so players wouldn't see them'?

abija

Prophet
Do we need to repeat this argument again retard boy? It's not 'normal' to stack buffs so high you completely skip boss phases. That is by definition abnormal. Are we going back to 'From intended you to skip entire phases, they worked on them so players wouldn't see them'?
The arguments about bosses needing phase skips or whatever items are all imaginary constructs produced by you without any proof.

Nevermind the hypocrisy of blaming devs for artificial difficulty while using self imposed restrictions.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Artificial difficutly is when you suck so you blame the game for your own shortcomings, or start arguing people who are better than you can only win because of "buffs".

Like, guys, guys, the bosses are impossible, all the pros are just cheesing them with buffs, and who could be expected to learn to use buffs? Totally unfair!

Meanwhile the pros:

Do you see buffs? All i see is the guy just dancing around the boss as if it was nothing. Where's the threshold this DLC is supposed to have crossed?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The arguments about bosses needing phase skips or whatever items are all imaginary constructs produced by you without any proof.

Nevermind the hypocrisy of blaming devs for artificial difficulty while using self imposed restrictions.

He is just going off an uncharitable interpretation of a suggestion i made that sometimes FromSoft leaves certain openings for players to exploit in case they find themselves struggling too much with a particular boss.

I brought up Artorias as an example, since you can basically "skip" his powerup phases by knocking him out of his charging animation. You can also find that pendant that can block some of Manus attacks.

Many times it feels bosses in this game have written "counters" or intended weaknesses, many of which can often just be logically deduced (it's not shocking that the Scadutree Avatar is weak to fire. Aftrer all, he is a tree!).

Many times i also brought up parry as a counter. Parry isn't exactly easy to use mind you, but several times i've felt it was just the more viable option. I then noticed that whenever this was the case, the enemy just happened to have attacks that almost seemed to beg for a parry. Attacks with long wind ups, attacks like the double hilt slam the Godskin Noble does, or the double delayed swing by Commander Nial, which almost feel designed to make parry easier on them (if you weren't ready for the first attack, you have the next one you can parry).

So in lieu of this line of thinking, i also made the suggestion that it's possible some bosses are designed in a way where struggling players are invited to end the fight as fast as possible. It's certainly a good strategy to suggest to struggling players to do as much damage as they possibly can while the boss is still in his "easy" phase. That's basically why they give bosses easy phases to begin with, and notice how most buffs usually only last long enough to be useful for the first phase.

None of this of course prevents anyone from doing it the "hard" way, but the argument wasn't dealing with veterans or skilled players, we were talking about struggling players. I haven't gotten to Radahn yet, but it seems his "counter" appears to be shields. Why shouldn't a struggling player use this strategy, i don't know. None of this has anything to do with whether the boss is possible to beat or master without relying on this tactic. I'm sure there's an Ongbal video out there where he already dances around all his moves as if it was nothing.

If the argument is that "pros" don't count, what are we suggesting here exactly? That the difficutly is artificial because the normal player can't beat a boss without getting wrecked a few times? Was the normal player EVER expected to be able to do perfect no-hit runs before?

In the Dancing Lion fight i pointed out you get an eternity to heal every time he switches elemental phases. So what that those phases are "too difficult" for the "normal" player to get through without getting knocked on his ass a few times? When did the normal player NOT get knocked on his ass? That's why healing exists in the first place. When did this expectation that the average player should be able to master every attack a boss does from the get go? When has that EVER been the case in a FromSoft game?

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You still can't get over the fact i'm beating all the bosses normally,

It's not the "buffs" that allowed me to end those fights early. You can try it yourself if you want to test this. Everybody uses the same "buffs" i used (and you are also conveniently forgetting i'm doing a run with zero Scadutree blessings). I didn't do anything special or beyond the understanding of the regular player. It's just a cope you invented because you don't want to admit what my videos demonstrate: that the bosses aren't unreasonably hard. Compared to the base game it's basically more of the same with maybe Radahn going beyond even Malenia, but then that's expected from a DLC.

But in reguards to your last point, how do you think summons fit it in with this? They worked so hard on those intricate boss moves, surely, they couldn't possibly leave an opening for players to just skip all that, right? Oh wait, that's what summons do. They allow you to bypass the boss entirely. All that work to design Malenia, and then they give you the option to summon that Let Me Solo Her guy so he can do it for you. How can that be?

abija

Prophet
He is just going off an uncharitable interpretation of a suggestion i made that sometimes FromSoft leaves certain openings for players to exploit in case they find themselves struggling too much with a particular boss.
He did it multiple times and everytime he interprets "you can do it like this" to "you need to do it like this" to fit his initial narrative that the boss is bullshit and needs to be cheesed.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Oh hey, it's the exact same argument proven wrong again and again and Lyric not even engaging with anything presented to him. The day must end in a Y.

Arti doesn't have a phase 2, he has a buff move you can interrupt. He does it multiple times through the fight and it's an intended mechanic of shutting down his buffing by breaking his poise. That is fighting him as intended.

Beating a boss before they transition into a different move set and a different look is clearly not the intended gameplay. Games expect you to see and fight every phase of a boss. They're set threshholds of when the phases change you will always trigger with the right damage. When you stack multiple buffs and kill a boss before the phase changes it is not intended. That is cheesing the game to the point where you literally break it. There isn't a single argument you can make which can defend this point. From will let you break their games but that is clearly not the intended way to play.

This thread is now more retarded than /v/. Which is very impressive considering how bad 4chan is. Two complete idiots who can't argue using bad faith arguments to shit up the thread because they can't accept Elden Ring is a pile of shit with the occasional good bit.

abija

Prophet
Beating a boss before they transition into a different move set and a different look is clearly not the intended gameplay.
1. It's not the only way the bosses have been beaten.
2. If designers use phases where the enemy is a lot more dangerous they know very well shortening those phases is one of the primary methods of beating it. If they don't implement some protection then it's one of the intended ways to do it, not an oversight. Sure there can be mistakes, but without a patch or devs explicitly mentioning it, you can't claim otherwise.

Odoryuk

Educated
Returning to the base game after countless hours in the DLC areas alone feels so fucked up, like it's a complete different game and world. Not sure if I could muster some free time for a total new playthrough, but the DLC recontextualised the base game for me. The snowy areas in the final of the base game seems so distant, I kinda wish to explore them a lot more now

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Returning to the base game after countless hours in the DLC areas alone feels so fucked up, like it's a complete different game and world. Not sure if I could muster some free time for a total new playthrough, but the DLC recontextualised the base game for me. The snowy areas in the final of the base game seems so distant, I kinda wish to explore them a lot more now
In ER base game it was big open areas filled with shitty copypasta content, in DLC it's big open areas filled with no content. I'd say it's still an improvement, at least you can skip to main content faster.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Beating a boss before they transition into a different move set and a different look is clearly not the intended gameplay.
"The intended gameplay" in the context of Elden Ring is a very funny concept. The game gives you 200 different tools that trivialize fights on their own and then allows you to combine them. Once you know the mechanics, you basically have to constantly limit yourself not to break everything.

Odoryuk

Educated
In ER base game it was big open areas filled with shitty copypasta content, in DLC it's big open areas filled with no content.
The DLC is more compact and is full of content, but I understand why they went with a very large world in the base game, and I wouldn't call that content a shitty copypasta content.
So you need to eat slightly less bad shit to realize you've been eating shit all along?
Base Elden Ring is very good, but the DLC is even better.
"The intended gameplay" in the context of Elden Ring is a very funny concept. The game gives you 200 different tools that trivialize fights on their own and then allows you to combine them. Once you know the mechanics, you basically have to constantly limit yourself not to break everything.
If the developers didn't want players to skip boss phases, they'd added these phases with separate health bars, which was already done before. If it's a single health bar and the behaviour of the boss just changes, then everything goes.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I bought the game yesterday.

20240807140139-1.jpg

Great adventure ahead!

20240807140215-1.jpg

Wha... how... Fuck you. It's called volcel.

20240807141512-1.jpg

We call them lesbians where I come from.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

It is if the boss doesn't resets his health bar after each phase. It's a perfectly valid strategy to stomp the boss as hard as you can and exploit the posture damage system to delay the trigger to the next phase as much as possible. If they didn't want the player to do this, the solution is right there: just have the boss reset his health bar after each phase.

As for the "buffs" argument, this would only be valid if i was literally one shotting bosses as soon as i step into the arena. But that's not how it works. I still have to learn the boss and master their moves, and the fact it is possible to master them shows the idea they crossed a threshold with them is nonsensical.

And for the record, i was easily able to beat the Dancing Lion across all his phases (multiple times in fact), i just couldn't do it without getting hit a couple of times, not with the time i alloted myself for this DLC (no more than an afternoon for each boss is the rule i set for myself, since i was afraid to drag this lest i got burned out again and quit without finishing it, like i did with my SL1 run). Since i'm aiming for a clean no-hit streak with all the bosses, i cut some corners by going all out in damage not to make it too burdersome on myself. Only exception of course is i'm not using any Scadutree blessings.

Now, when people say the bosses are impossible to beat "legit", they aren't saying they are inpossible to no-hit them, since most people aren't trying to do that. What they mean is that the bosses are literally impossible to beat no matter what, unless one relies on summons and so forth. I didn't have to "burst" the Dancing Lion to actually beat him. I just did it because i wanted a no-hit video and basicaslly did it the easy way to get it done and move on. If i had a few days i'd definitely no-hit him through all his elemental phases. There's nothing impossible about him (maybe just the lighting static being somewhat RNG, but it's not like the damage is huge if you get hit by that).

Hell Swarm

Learned
From gives you lots of tools then expects you to be smart enough not to completely destroy your game with them. You're right, you do need to nerf yourself to not break everything which is part of From's game philosophy. Freedom VS quality is always a debate worth having. I like From's freedom but they are terrible at making a balanced game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom