Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Hell Swarm

Learned
You don't dodge the ape ones, you jump them. I specifically said grabs that you dodge because those are the ones that are susceptible to mismatches between the animation and the hitboxes like in the video Hell Swarm posted. They do annoy me, because they look wrong. Grab hitboxes should be much smaller, so that they're required to hit centre mass to connect, or else the start of the animation should be smoother. These are action games built on precise movement - if it looks wrong, it is wrong. I hate grab attacks in From games very much.
Jumping or rolling isn't relevant. The problem is the player clear dodges, he's half way to the monster's flank and he's still grabbed. It looks shit, it's frustrating and it's broken. What's the appeal of playing yet another From game when they won't fix this issue we've had since Demon's souls? If they can't improve their games why shouldn't I spit on them for being lazy slant eyed faggot with a brain dead fanbase willing to swallow anything with a dodge roll?
So how exactly is Sekiro like DS?
Are we back at "Bloodborne and Sekiro play nothing like a Souls game" again? Because that's not true and it's a boring argument by smooth brained fanboys.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jumping or rolling isn't relevant.
It is actually, because the window for jumping to avoid attacks is very generous. You would know this if you had played far enough to see them.
What's the appeal of playing yet another From game when they won't fix this issue we've had since Demon's souls? If they can't improve their games why shouldn't I spit on them for being lazy slant eyed faggot with a brain dead fanbase willing to swallow anything with a dodge roll?
I'm not trying to trick you, and this isn't a setup to some elaborate gotcha. If you could like the old From games despite the grab attacks, I'm sure you could do that with Sekiro as well, especially considering that as I said there are only four of them in the entire game. You're complaining that bosses in ER have become too fast and aggressive and the player's options havent been updated to compensate, and that's what Sekiro does. It gives you the tools to deal with the new style of enemies while still being undeniably a From game. It also has a comprehensible story told in a traditional way, and it's free of bloat. It's excellent.

Odoryuk

Educated
This video sums up my Sekiro experience perfectly. If you think this hit box is acceptable and you need to "learn how to actually play it" then I don't know what you're smoking but it's strong stuff. Why would I want to play yet another game full of broken hit boxes and high damage when I could play a good game instead?
If a game has a couple of broken hitboxes (most of which I never enctountered in my hundreds hours of play, even in Dark Souls 2), it doesn't mean it's full of broken hitboxes. There's a difference in a problem that hinders your enjoyment and using some fringe hitboxes as an excuse of your poor play (people always go with bad hitboxes firtst, poor camera second and bad controls third when they're too buttmad). Not that I'm saying there's no bad hitboxes in their games, you can look at all hitboxes in DSAnimStudio, but they are not as frequent as people want to believe

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hitmontop is easily the worst of the trio. Hell, it might even be one of the worst gen 2 pokemon.

What's the appeal of playing yet another From game when they won't fix this issue we've had since Demon's souls?
I like Elden ring.

head-spinning-384-x-384-gif-fg2tw3s2ub89mj49.gif

Hell Swarm

Learned
I'm not trying to trick you, and this isn't a setup to some elaborate gotcha. If you could like the old From games despite the grab attacks, I'm sure you could do that with Sekiro as well, especially considering that as I said there are only four of them in the entire game. You're complaining that bosses in ER have become too fast and aggressive and the player's options havent been updated to compensate, and that's what Sekiro does. It gives you the tools to deal with the new style of enemies while still being undeniably a From game. It also has a comprehensible story told in a traditional way, and it's free of bloat. It's excellent.
I can tolerate old bad hit boxes because it's not 15 years of them. I'm willing to give From a chance to improve their games and accept the old ones are flawed. I'm not willing to accept it again and again and again. From didn't change anything. I played a good hour of Sekiro and parrying doesn't change the game any more than bloodborne's change in parries changed the game. I went in hoping it would be like Tenchu and it was activision goyslop.

people always go with bad hitboxes firtst, poor camera second and bad controls third when they're too buttmad
Bad hitboxes are bad hitboxes and if I run into the infamous From grab with the first large enemy I meet I'm expecting every other one to be plagued by the same damn thing.

Poor camera is undeniable. No one needs to be looking at a dragon's ballsack the entire fight.

I'd say clunky not bad but I've got years of experience with them. Bad input buffering is my only real complaint and that's a common one.

7 years old and never rang truer.

Odoryuk

Educated
Bad hitboxes are bad hitboxes and if I run into the infamous From grab with the first large enemy I meet I'm expecting every other one to be plagued by the same damn thing.
Hitboxes are being setup in their engine's animation event editor, and most of them are correct and work in favor of the player, but some are rushed and untested, which is a minority of all hitboxes
7 years old and never rang truer.
Is that the "oh I actually want all bosses to be puzzle boses" video of his? It's been years since I have seen his opinionated videos on games he doesn't enjoy anymore

Hell Swarm

Learned
Hitboxes are being setup in their engine's animation event editor, and most of them are correct and work in favor of the player, but some are rushed and untested, which is a minority of all hitboxes
Has it been fixed in a patch? No it hasn't. So From think it's not broken.
Is that the "oh I actually want all bosses to be puzzle boses" video of his? It's been years since I have seen his opinionated videos on games he doesn't enjoy anymore
He never said he wanted all the bosses to be puzzle bosses. He said he wanted some variety and that's value in bosses that aren't hard combat encounters. I've always liked the Demon of song. It's an easy boss but it's a cool boss. The build up to it is one of the hardest areas in the game and then the boss turned out to be a mimic from and isn't that difficult. It's a reverse of Elden ring where the area is easy but the boss is hard. This kind of twist can be refreshing. Similarly I like Smelter demon because it forces a clock on you and you have to be way more careful about health management. I didn't enjoy Dancer at all because it's identical to every other boss in the game. Having 1 or 2 bosses punish the player for rolling instinctively with a delayed attack is fine, but it shouldn't be the default. And if you do want delayed attacks they should be like Mogh where he's slow because of his weapon choice and feels fair.

There's more to From games than circle and R1 and it would be nice if they remembered that.

Odoryuk

Educated
Has it been fixed in a patch? No it hasn't. So From think it's not broken.
They're probably weren't aware of these broken hitboxes when they were working on the games, and then the updates stopped.
With Elden Ring they had more players and more reports, and we already seen some hitboxes being fixed.

He said he wanted some variety and that's value in bosses that aren't hard combat encounters. I've always liked the Demon of song. It's an easy boss but it's a cool boss.
Deacons of the Deep is an easy boss, but it's a cool boss. Folding Screen Monkey is an easy boss, but it's a cool boss. Rykard, Lord of Blasphemy is an easy boss, but it's a cool boss. Lamenter is an easy boss, oh fuck I just got oneshotted

The variety was never compromised

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Deacons of the Deep is an easy boss, but it's a cool boss. Folding Screen Monkey is an easy boss, but it's a cool boss. Rykard, Lord of Blasphemy is an easy boss, but it's a cool boss. Lamenter is an easy boss, oh fuck I just got oneshotted
Wolnir, Curse-Rotted Greatwood, the Divine Dragon, the Mist Noble...

Gimmick/easy bosses only count when they're in the games Mr. "Micolash is my favorite Bloodborne boss" likes.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hitmontop is easily the worst of the trio. Hell, it might even be one of the worst gen 2 pokemon.

It's a pokemon? I just thought it was a penis wearing a vest, making his avatar a rare moment of self awareness. Oh well, what the hell is it supposed to be if not a dick with a face?

Anyway, what did you think of the expansion, NJClaw?

Silverfish

Arbiter
Are you deliberately arguing in bad faith (as in the perfect example above) and then complaining like a litttle bitch when accused of it?
Or are you like Silverfish and don't understand basic logic?

"You can kill the bosses in one hit, therefore the game is super easy" is pretty sound logic, actually.

abija

Prophet
That would open the 3rd option: he is an insane person arguing against himself.
But that wasn't the point he was trying to make and you are way too dumb to pull off a "drive-by smartypants" routine.

abija

Prophet
You are doubling down on retard when he obviously used sarcasm and it's not the first time he linked to a buff stacking video as argument. So unless he suddenly fliped and insanely argues against his own points, I was right.

Why do you try to look smart when you can't even read?

Hell Swarm

Learned
Explain how changing the parry system, which is now also implemented in Elden ring makes it a different game (it doesn't). Doom 2 is not a different game to Doom 1 because the super shotgun is added.

Odoryuk

Educated
Explain how changing the parry system, which is now also implemented in Elden ring makes it a different game (it doesn't). Doom 2 is not a different game to Doom 1 because the super shotgun is added.
Removing player stats, equipment such as different weaponry and armour that change the way you play the game and multiplayer system that seamlessly connects you with friends and foes alike makes it a different game. Bloodborne follows Demon's Souls to a tee while Sekiro does not

Hell Swarm

Learned
Removing player stats, equipment such as different weaponry and armour that change the way you play the game and multiplayer system that seamlessly connects you with friends and foes alike makes it a different game. Bloodborne follows Demon's Souls to a tee while Sekiro does not
Player stats and equipment don't change the game enough to consider it something different. Multiplayer connecting differently doesn't change enough.

The core gameplay is still identical.

Elden ring
Did you not understand the very simple question? Here's a little tip, Elden Ring has nothing to do with it.
So again, how is Sekiro like DS?
How is Elden Ring not Dark souls in an open world? I'll be waiting when you have an argument (you don't because there isn't one)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
This thread keeps being retarded with those two going on and on attacking every single aspect of FromSoft. Now apparently we are onto claiming Bloodborne and Sekiro are basically the same shit as Souls so really there's no innovation. Nothing FromSoft does is ever good for those guys.

Let's post something good for a change, like me bitch slapping Bayle around:

Now this is content with some real chest hair, instead of this incessant pussy faggot whining.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
How is Elden Ring not Dark souls in an open world? I'll be waiting when you have an argument (you don't because there isn't one)
There is indeed no argument. I'm asking you how Sekiro is like DS and you somehow reply "Bloodborne is like DS" and "Elden Ring is DS open world". They sure are buddy, very good.
So again, how is Sekiro like DS?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom