Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Anyway, what did you think of the expansion, @NJClaw?
I have ambivalent feelings towards it.

The world is undeniably beautiful and the atmosphere is spot on. The side dungeons are so much better than those in the base game it almost feels unfair to compare them. The various areas are connected in interesting ways and it's a pleasure to explore the world and find your way around the map. The new weapons and ashes of war are amazing (I started listing all the ones I like, but it's basically all of them). Bosses are spectacular as you'd expect, but...

...a general feeling of unfinishedness permeates the whole game. The first area overwhelms you with content, but after that 60% of the map is a barren wasteland with nothing to do in it. Cerulean Coast, Charo's Hidden Grave, Abyssal Woods, Jagged Peak, and the Finger Ruins would all be literally empty if not for the bosses. The new enemies are great, but there isn't nearly enough of them to fill the huge map we got. I can't justify Rellana and Metyr not having a cutscene, and Radahn's ones feel like an afterthought put together in a hurry. Worst of all, the legacy dungeons are underwhelming compared to what we got in the base game. Belurat and the Shadow Keep are great, Enir-Ilim is ok if a bit short, Rauh Base has some good moments... but there's no Leyndell, no Crumbling Farum Azula, no Stormveil Castle. Just thinking about Midra's Manse makes me sad.

I played it twice and will definitely go through it again multiple times in the future, but I don't think the expansion lived up to the hype reserved for FS DLCs.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I hope they give up on this open world experiment as it is obvious their resources can't cope with it.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I hope they give up on this open world experiment as it is obvious their resources can't cope with it.
I'm pretty sure their next game will be open world as well but by then they should've learned their lessons from ER and make the open world actually interesting and rewarding to explore. If they can do that, I'm excited to play it. Not touching ER again though.

Odoryuk

Educated
I'm pretty sure their next game will be open world as well but by then they should've learned their lessons from ER and make the open world actually interesting and rewarding to explore. If they can do that, I'm excited to play it. Not touching ER again though.
There's no way they're making an open world game on a current gen hardware without 10 years of asset and pipeline evolution prior, the way they made Elden Ring. Unless they won't be drastically changing the fidelity of their assets and just continue with their current tech, which I'm actually kinda all for. Then they might be working on an open world game right now, but it won't be ER2

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
There's no way they're making an open world game on a current gen hardware without 10 years of asset and pipeline evolution prior, the way they made Elden Ring. Unless they won't be drastically changing the fidelity of their assets and just continue with their current tech, which I'm actually kinda all for. Then they might be working on an open world game right now, but it won't be ER2
10 years of assets? They released 5 souls games in the last 10 years. Anyway, I don't mind if they reuse a lot from ER to make an ER2 with a greatly improved open world. That shit would sell like hotcakes.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
How large a team did they have for this? Because prior to ER they were still a smallsish company, right? Maybe with all the sales they got from this they could increase their developing team which might help.

Because both the base game and the DLC have this distinct "we were going to do something cool but then we ran out of time so we half-assed it" feel to it.

Odoryuk

Educated
10 years of assets? They released 5 souls games in the last 10 years. Anyway, I don't mind if they reuse a lot from ER to make an ER2 with a greatly improved open world. That shit would sell like hotcakes.
They might as well release like 3-4 action RPGs and spinoffs akin to a Sekiro or Deracine in the same span of time on a current hardware and only then they will be ready to go into current gen open world (which by that time will be pastgen, just like with ER)
How large a team did they have for this? Because prior to ER they were still a smallsish company, right? Maybe with all the sales they got from this they could increase their developing team which might help.
Increasing their team won't do any good, because you lose control when your staff is so large, but using ER money to outsorce even more assets could help them a lot

Hell Swarm

Learned
Player stats and equipment don't change the game enough to consider it something different.

As a greataxe main I find this offensive.
Oh.. oh dear. You're one of THOSE? Friendship OVER.

Weapon differences aren't big enough to change the fundamentals of the gameplay. It's still the same core gameplay with less options but it's still the same gameplay. Bloodborne has less options than Dark souls 3 but it's not massively different. Dark souls 3 is Elden Ring and Elden ring has the Sekiro parry now so Dark souls is Sekiro with more weapon options. Especially since Elden ring tries to use Sekiro's non-functional stealth system.
. Belurat
Is that a legacy dungeon? That stretches the definition a big much for me. I would consider it an area. It's the best bit of the DLC outside of the side dungeons but it's not really a legacy dungeon the same as the academy.

Your honour, I would like to present the following evidence for this thread having the stupidest nigger brained posters on Codex.

They expect From to fix a single fucking thing in these broken and shitty games instead of doubling down on the open world and more spammy bosses put after empty fields.

Max Damage

Savant
ykiuJh4.png

Pretty underwhelming for final boss, some swimming dinosaur with no buildup.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Player stats and equipment don't change the game enough to consider it something different.

As a greataxe main I find this offensive.
Oh.. oh dear. You're one of THOSE? Friendship OVER.

Weapon differences aren't big enough to change the fundamentals of the gameplay. It's still the same core gameplay with less options but it's still the same gameplay. Bloodborne has less options than Dark souls 3 but it's not massively different. Dark souls 3 is Elden Ring and Elden ring has the Sekiro parry now so Dark souls is Sekiro with more weapon options. Especially since Elden ring tries to use Sekiro's non-functional stealth system.

No stamina is a pretty big difference that impacts everything. Anyway, you're either more retarded than I'd previously believed or trolling or both. Honestly, all of these possibilities are plausible.

Your honour, I would like to present the following evidence for this thread having the stupidest nigger brained posters on Codex.

32290.jpg

Huh. I guess you do get things right now and again. Crazy.

cruel

Cipher
I've finally reached the final boss of the DLC, after 70+ hours spent playing it and checking every corner while at it. This is the point I need to admit: this is hard. I had fun listening to all the crybabies complaining about the difficulty of the Dancing Lion (first try for me), Gaius (10 tries), Bayle (12), Messmer (13), but this looks like a different story. It's actually so hard I'm not sure I will be able to go through it solo :| 26 attempts and I'm not even getting close, unless I'm missing something obvious here. The second phase is just WTF.

Ghost Goat

Literate
I've finally reached the final boss of the DLC, after 70+ hours spent playing it and checking every corner while at it. This is the point I need to admit: this is hard. I had fun listening to all the crybabies complaining about the difficulty of the Dancing Lion (first try for me), Gaius (10 tries), Bayle (12), Messmer (13), but this looks like a different story. It's actually so hard I'm not sure I will be able to go through it solo :| 26 attempts and I'm not even getting close, unless I'm missing something obvious here. The second phase is just WTF.

Prayerful Strike helps if you haven't learned how to handle his moves. I still summoned the Mimic in the end.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
There are ways to make it easier, but they're mostly build-dependent. What character are you playing?

Whatever thing you might decide try, keep in mind he's EXTREMELY weak to being parried. Like horrendously weak. His most common attacks can all be parried and after each parry he has like a 90% chance of using his basic attack, which has a very lenient timing. With something like a Brass Shield with Carian Retaliation and max endurance, you need to dodge a couple of attacks at best.

cruel

Cipher
There are ways to make it easier, but they're mostly build-dependent. What character are you playing?

Pure tank build basically with some minor Faith investment. Level 227, 96 Str, 15 Dex, 60 Vigor, 62 Endurance, 40 Faith (could probably drop it to 32). Had no issues so far, but he is kicking my ass so hard it's not even funny. He is a little bit too fast to fight him with dual Colossal swords, so I was forced to switch to regular Greatsword (Sword of Solitude) and a shield. Thanks for the note about parrying, I might try that. It would be nice to actually see what's happening in phase 2.

Odoryuk

Educated
You're slaying an actual, real god in its prime, of course it will be hard. It's easy enough to learn and beat the first phase, but phase two is the only time Tarnished encounters a god (the final boss in the base game doesn't count, even if the game titles it as a god, that amoeba is a weakling)

Hell Swarm

Learned
You're slaying an actual, real god in its prime, of course it will be hard. It's easy enough to learn and beat the first phase, but phase two is the only time Tarnished encounters a god (the final boss in the base game doesn't count, even if the game titles it as a god, that amoeba is a weakling)
Could you stop being retarded?

You're fighting Radahn not Micky boy. Who is in someone else's body so likely not in his prime.
Micky boy is missing an arm so he isn't "in his prime" either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom