Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Max Damage

Savant
After all, Quake 1 was perfect why change it?
They didn't "change" it, it's literally not a sequel in any shape besides being FPS from same devs. Your example is like extreme outlier, it also was different time and different standards.

Max Damage

Savant
This is same as Quake changing Doom 2 by not being a sequel, or Doom changing Wolf3D. Please stop, this is beyond retarded.

Hell Swarm

Learned
I could label everything he does with the shit rating, but that doesn't really say "we getcha bro, you hate the game. Don't have to say it 100 times" as much as I want it to.
I like Elden ring. I wouldn't have spent so much time playing it if I didn't. Don't have to be a fanboy to enjoy a game.
But that's just how Japanese developers operate. They have a "if it's not broken, don't fix it" mentality, which is different from the western mindsent of having to reinvent the wheel or discover fire again with each new game.
It's very much broken and it looks stupid. Even Pokemon players, the lowest manchildren in the pedophile swamp are upset Game freak don't properly animate items being handed to you.
They do a hand gesture. The real animation laziness is how 90% of the weapons have identical movesets to Dark Souls (and possibly Demons Souls even). They have literally imported the same models with minor touch ups for 10 years.
Nigga that's small fry compared to how much RGG studios(Yakuza games) reuse assets and animations. Hell their flagship games have been taking place in the same city block forever.
Sets are expected to be reused in a movie. We're talking about games not Korean soap operas.
This is same as Quake changing Doom 2 by not being a sequel, or Doom changing Wolf3D. Please stop, this is beyond retarded.
Demon's souls - Dark souls - Bloodborne - Elden ring all reuse assets. I bet Sekiro does too but that games activision garbage so I haven't played much of it. You're correct that they should be unique but they aren't.

Arguing a 90's DOS game has the same expectations as a modern 3D adventure game is just retarded. Doom 2 is an expansion on Doom 1, it's expected to use much of the same foundation and build upon it. That's why it's Doom 2 and not Quake, which doesn't build off of Doom the same way.

Hell Swarm

Learned

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Frankly. if we look at FromSoft's entire output, we can see that they did try their best to remain "fresh".

After Demon Souls and Dark Souls, FromSoft gaves us Bloodborne. It's clear to me that Miyazaki had no intention of making a sequel to Dark Souls, but was likely made an offer he couldn't refuse. Since he was busy with Bloodborne, he decided to hand Dark Souls 2 over to a fresh team he assembled likely in a rush. The result may have been a mixed bag but Dark Souls 2 has the virtue of being very different from Dark Souls 1.

After Bloodborne, there was likely a push to release another Dark Souls to clear up the backlash caused by Dark Souls 2. But anybody who has played Dark Souls 3 can see that his heart wasn't in this project. He obliged to whatever pressure was put on him by Bandai, and this time he produced a product that at the very least was up to his usual standards in terms of production values but felt a little bit tired.

He then makes a deal with Activision to try to innovate again with Sekiro, and with Elden Ring he decided to try something knew with this open world approach, which was clearly an attempt to set Elden Ring apart from Dark Souls in some form. And then out of the blue they decided to resurrect an incredibly niche series, one they likely didn't expect to return as much profit as their flashship franchises, just so they could have some sort of added variety to their output.

Compared to most companies out there who have no qualms doing the exact same thing over and over, there's a remarkable degree of variety here, and despite some up and downs the level of quality we got from this company would have been notable even in the pre-decline days.

Are their games all perfect? No, but then, which company is perfect exactly? Perfection in art usually can only be achieved in forms that don't require anything more than one creative individual. A writer can create the perfect book. A composer can create the perfect symphony. But when you have something that requires large teams of people and a shit ton of money to make, something is likely to go wrong somewhere. Too many variables to control. This is why in the entire history of this medium there has never been a "perfect" game, unless it's something so basic a single person could do (like Tetris for instance).

Hell Swarm

Learned
"It's innovation to remove all your options and change how parry works and other wise the game remains near identical"

Genius post.

Yeah, but consistently making better games than any other studio is no excuse for reusing a short sword.
Since Dark souls 3 the discussion has been "From are making BAD action games instead of GOOD adventure games" and Elden ring cements that into place.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
This is what in the entire history of this medium there has never been a "perfect" game, unless it's something so basic a single person could do (like Tetris for instance).
That's not true. There are "perfect" games in the same sense as there are "perfect" books. Games are mostly about the gameplay. So if you get that right, it's not too important if the art is a little shit, or the music is a little shit.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just can't decide which one is dumber between "Boo-hoo, FS reuses animations for weapons' movesets!!!" and "They are lazy because the game doesn't play an animation when an NPC gives you an item".

Elden Ring does indeed have flaws, but these two examples are just pointless complaints nobody cares about. One of the highest achievements of this series is getting rid of superfluous shit that doesn't actively improve the core gameplay and you want them to... add out-of-combat animations?

Since Dark souls 3 the discussion has been "From are making BAD action games instead of GOOD adventure games" and Elden ring cements that into place.
I utterly and wholeheartedly despise the action games you're referring to, while I love and cherish DS3, Sekiro, and ER. If they're making "bad" action games, then that's a genre that actually resonates with an audience.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's very much broken and it looks stupid.

Never noticed it and never saw it as a problem.

This is just an hold over style they inherited from King's Field where every NPC interaction is intended to create this feeling of loneliness and desolation. The NPC moving realistically would be besides the point. The fact they are even reticent to give them lip movement (some have them, some don't) shows they are just trying to remain within the King's Field style (in the original game NPCs didn't even have faces at all, which made them even more mysterious).

This kind of minimalism is of course one of the major running themes of those games, most glaringly in the narrative style.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Neither Souls 3 nor Elden Ring is on the level of their peak, so I might have accepted the idea that From are on a declining trajectory if it hadn't been for Sekiro, which is their second-latest game and some of their best work.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Elden Ring does indeed have flaws, but these two examples are just pointless complaints nobody cares about. One of the highest achievements of this series is getting rid of superfluous shit that doesn't actively improve the core gameplay and you want them to... add out-of-combat animations?
I care about it so clearly it's not "nobody" now is it? I'm tired of From being lazy and half arsing basic elements.
I utterly and wholeheartedly despise the action games you're referring to, while I love and cherish DS3, Sekiro, and ER. If they're making "bad" action games, then that's a genre that actually resonates with an audience.
You mean the original audience who have been complaining and all rally around "The lost art of demons souls" video? Arguably The audience has been ditched for goyslop lovers like yourself.
Neither Souls 3 nor Elden Ring is on the level of their peak, so I might have accepted the idea that From are on a declining trajectory if it hadn't been for Sekiro, which is their second-latest game and some of their best work.
Sekiro is unplayable. It has Dark souls 2 hit boxes and couldn't even do a grappling hook properly. Wasn't even worth playing for more than an hour to confirm From are lazy and can't make stealth games.

Vic doesn't even know what perfect means.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Complaining about hitboxes in Sekiro tells me you never bothered to learn how to actually play it. All edge aside, if you really do like From games, and you think it's possible for you to lay your prejudices aside, you should give it a proper go sometime.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Complaining about hitboxes in Sekiro tells me you never bothered to learn how to actually play it. All edge aside, if you really do like From games, and you think it's possible for you to lay your prejudices aside, you should give it a proper go sometime.

This video sums up my Sekiro experience perfectly. If you think this hit box is acceptable and you need to "learn how to actually play it" then I don't know what you're smoking but it's strong stuff. Why would I want to play yet another game full of broken hit boxes and high damage when I could play a good game instead?

Max Damage

Savant
But anybody who has played Dark Souls 3 can see that his heart wasn't in this project.
As someone who replayed 3 the most out of DaS trilogy, I never got that feeling. Previous 2 games at points feel like they either ran out of budget or just didn't give a shit.

Anyway, I reached parts past Morgott, and at this point I'm never buying anything by From ever again. The amount of same repeated shit is ridiculous at this point, except now with even less stuff to find because apparently this is small inexperienced indie company that couldn't bother to place anything original in snow lands. They even gave up copypasting dungeons, there's like 2 tiny caves, was the level development at gunpoint? This garbage makes SotFS look like masterpiece, the decline is getting worse by the hour.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron

This video sums up my Sekiro experience perfectly. If you think this hit box is acceptable and you need to "learn how to actually play it" then I don't know what you're smoking but it's strong stuff. Why would I want to play yet another game full of broken hit boxes and high damage when I could play a good game instead?

I was never sure about the placement of the ogre as one of the earliest minibosses you're likely to encounter. Not only does he play less to the strengths of the combat system than most other enemies, especially without prosthetics, he also introduces a mechanic that is almost never seen again later. Apart from oggerman I can honestly only think of two other grab attacks in the entire game that have to be dodged to be avoided, regular enemies notwithstanding.* So if that's what you're worried about, there's no problem.

As for why you should play it, it's one of the best From games. If you have so many better games to play than the best From games, then don't bother I guess.

*Drunkard and shamisen player, for the record. If anyone can think of more you're welcome to correct me.

abija

Prophet
Use . and , to play it frame by frame, he dodged late and was under ogre left hand when the animation swaped to confirm grab. Maybe next time link a proper video not some cut up crap reencoded too many times.

Saying that was your sekiro experience falls in the same category with all your other lies.

Apart from oggerman I can honestly only think of two other grab attacks in the entire game that have to be dodged to be avoided, regular enemies notwithstanding.*

*Drunkard and shamisen player, for the record. If anyone can think of more you're welcome to correct me.

There are more of course. like the ape, but I never found that to be the issue in Sekiro. Or hitboxes. But then even Dark Souls II hitboxes don't bother me so what do I know.. Still, I would say Sekiro is the most polished FS game when it comes to combat and if that game is "unplayable" then better just stay away from all their games.

Max Damage

Savant
Sekiro has the worst combat flow when it comes to fighting crowds, you either kite or die because From didn't bother fleshing that part out. Which is just lazy considering how this is their release with least amount of combat options, I don't get the hype around Sekiro at all.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
There are more of course. like the ape
You don't dodge the ape ones, you jump them. I specifically said grabs that you dodge because those are the ones that are susceptible to mismatches between the animation and the hitboxes like in the video Hell Swarm posted. They do annoy me, because they look wrong. Grab hitboxes should be much smaller, so that they're required to hit centre mass to connect, or else the start of the animation should be smoother. These are action games built on precise movement - if it looks wrong, it is wrong. I hate grab attacks in From games very much.

Sekiro has the worst combat flow when it comes to fighting crowds, you either kite or die because From didn't bother fleshing that part out. Which is just lazy considering how this is their release with least amount of combat options, I don't get the hype around Sekiro at all.
I found that crowd control became much more manageable with wider use of prosthetics, combat arts and ninjutsu. Hell, with the bloodsmoke ninjutsu alone you can take out an entire crowd without anyone even swinging at you once. Sekiro is a game where you're clearly not meant to take on crowds - you're a ninja, you're meant to sneak around and pick people off one by one, or else bypass the regular mooks altogether. But if you build for it, fighting crowds is very possible. It's taking on two or more strong enemies at once that's the real limit.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Sekiro has the worst combat flow when it comes to fighting crowds,
This doesn't happen a lot though, there's most always a way to thin the herd. Combat simply isn't (shouldn't be) the draw for FS games, it's the adventure.

"It's innovation to remove all your options and change how parry works and other wise the game remains near identical"
So how exactly is Sekiro like DS?

Crowd combat always kinda sucked to me in FS games though, compared to full combatfag games. Compare fighting crowds in Nioh 2 with any Souls game or Sekiro. FS games don't really seem made for it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom