Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

So is it good?
It's fine. Could be a lot better, could be a lot worse. Unfortunately FROM will never improve as a developer because the entire gaming landscape is filled with the sort of morons that post endlessly in this thread about how every flaw of the game is actually a positive.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For every game with a lot of options there's this one retard who complains about "broken" balance. Somehow it doesn't clue them in that no game has ever had the kind of balance they're after that isn't stripped down to the bare essentials and hardly lets the player choose anything at all.

Odoryuk

Educated
So is it good?
It's fine. Could be a lot better, could be a lot worse. Unfortunately FROM will never improve as a developer because the entire gaming landscape is filled with the sort of morons that post endlessly in this thread about how every flaw of the game is actually a positive.
Never change, FromSoftware-chan, I love you just the way you are

Hell Swarm

Learned
But the reality is, Dark Souls (and elden ring) already have a difficulty selector. Instead of being a menu option, you instead have to find the correct series of items or spells that will immediately trivialise the game, usually through degenerate cheese like standing in a doorway and killing a boss with magic while they try to attack you but can't due to their size. Every game in the series can be made significantly easier, but not in a compelling or fun way, usually it just boils down to doing the right thing or knowing when a specific ambush is coming and avoiding it or finding ways to completely break the AI. That's not strategic or fun gameplay, it's just breaking the game as a cheap way of "beating the difficulty". FROM should instead focus on fixing all these loopholes, provide balanced weapon choices, and then if they want to let people choose difficulty, add some modifiers or mutators or whatever that players can enable on a new playthrough to restrict themselves in some way. Then, everyone is happy and nobody has a compromised playthrough.
I disagree on the difficulty slider and mutators. While I understand where you're coming from, it would not fit a From style game.

You're right on them needing to fix all the loopholes and bullshit though. From are very lazy and can use "well you can leash them!" as an excuse for completely broken enemies.
So is it good?
Vic doesn't play Elden Ring. He's just here to try and argue with me because he likes starfield and there's nothing to do in that game. He's a bethestard.
For every game with a lot of options there's this one retard who complains about "broken" balance. Somehow it doesn't clue them in that no game has ever had the kind of balance they're after that isn't stripped down to the bare essentials and hardly lets the player choose anything at all.
Perfect balance is impossible but there is a lot of room for From to improve their balance in some serious ways.

I think one of the discussions to be had is when is "being broken" the intended way to play the game? Elden ring has always had complaints about unfair difficulty with it's bosses. Bosses intended to screw the player not to be a fun experience because the current skill ceiling dominates anything From have put out last time. It starts to become "If I'm not broken I stand no chance of beating this boss". And many will argue that's exactly what bleed is in Elden ring. As From continue to push the gotchas and phase changes with AOE spam the player can't keep up through movement (it's never improved) so the only option is to get a bigger weapon (numbers not size) so you can match the bosses bullshit with brute strength rather than pure skill since pure skill is now being punished as an intended development goal.

Hey Lyric you dumb faggot. Learn to reply to threads in 1 post instead of 6. You won't get more views because you spam the thread.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
The best bit of Lyric's post is when he posts a video and it has 30 views in 3 weeks. My JOKE video had 100 views in an hour and it was on bitchute not youtube lol.
Damn, you must be one of the most annoying faggots I've ever seen on here. I'm guessing it's the mix of hypocrisy, sense of superiority, glaring stupidity and worst of all, not being funny. Quite the cocktail you've got going there :hero:

Hell Swarm

Learned
Vic doesn't play Elden Ring. He's just here to try and argue with me because he likes starfield and there's nothing to do in that game. He's a bethestard.

I didn't even think it was possible for someone to be this retarded.
Vic manages it. He quit the forum because he was given the bethestard tag. They wouldn't delete his account when he freaked out and decided to change his password to garbage. Then he recovered it and crawled back in like a bitch because no where else will tolerate him.
sense of superiority
I am a sigma male. I am superior to people like yourself, Lyric, the horse guy and the guy who always cries for attention and I ignore. But that's not difficult because you all belong in a care home for the clinically retarded with all the other fat autistic man children.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
:philosoraptor:

I gave up playing it for now, the size of this game spooked me a bit.
My impressions overall are mostly positive. I'm just not entirely sure how I feel about the "horse".
I like the vibe of it. But the horse sometimes feels like "make the game easier and less interesting" cheat option.

I guess the solution would be making horse combat more complex. Or maybe making more no-horse areas.
No, I'm not limiting horse on my own, you gave me a powerful tool so I'm going to use it.

Odoryuk

Educated
I like the vibe of it. But the horse sometimes feels like "make the game easier and less interesting" cheat option.
It's more like "I don't want to engage with some content" option and it's honestly pretty valid. I skipped a lot of stuff on my first playthrough thanks to Torrent, thinking I will return back later.
Only returned to those places in next playthroughs, lmao. You can't skip actual meaty parts of the game with Torrent, only some enemy camps and other shit (which can also be fun to clear if you're in no hurry)
Horse combat is pitiful and should not be encouraged at all

Hell Swarm

Learned
Only returned to those places in next playthroughs, lmao. You can't skip actual meaty parts of the game with Torrent, only some enemy camps and other shit (which can also be fun to clear if you're in no hurry)
You can skip stormveil with torrent. You can skip the academy. There's plenty of places you can run past and never know had worth while content.

Odoryuk

Educated
You can skip stormveil with torrent. You can skip the academy. There's plenty of places you can run past and never know had worth while content.
I guess technically you can, but there should be an intention to do so. Stormveil's passage is pretty well hidden, I found it only after I finished it, and the Academy is just there, you don't need Torrent to skip it. And if you skip both, for some reason, you can't progress past Leindell. While the open world camps and ambushes for both Stormveil and Academy can be easily skipped (plus you can just use a teleporter in Raya Lucaria to get directly to the gates of the Academy, skipping academy town, which itself is a glorified enemy soldier camp)

Hell Swarm

Learned
I guess technically you can, but there should be an intention to do so. Stormveil's passage is pretty well hidden, I found it only after I finished it, and the Academy is just there, you don't need Torrent to skip it. And if you skip both, for some reason, you can't progress past Leindell. While the open world camps and ambushes for both Stormveil and Academy can be easily skipped (plus you can just use a teleporter in Raya Lucaria to get directly to the gates of the Academy, skipping academy town, which itself is a glorified enemy soldier camp)
I've known people who missed stormveil on their first place through. It's not that hidden.

You can still progress without doing the academy or stormveil. Radahn and Rykard are both open for unlocking the capital.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So is it good?

More like the other way around.

When you are absolutely committed in trying to find flaws in everything they do legitimate criticisms tend to fall by the wayside.

:philosoraptor:

I gave up playing it for now, the size of this game spooked me a bit.
My impressions overall are mostly positive. I'm just not entirely sure how I feel about the "horse".

I guess the solution would be making horse combat more complex. Or maybe making more no-horse areas.
No, I'm not limiting horse on my own, you gave me a powerful tool so I'm going to use it.
Every dungeon is a no horse area.

But generally horse combat sucks. You only have access to a limited subset of attacks, and generally are very limited in what you can do. The only advantage is speed, which you lose if your horse gets hit and you get knocked on your back.

Personally I hate the horse combat and avoid it wherever possible because it's borderline useless.

Odoryuk

Educated
There's not a single bossfight that is better on a horse. I don't even use Torrent to get closer to Fire Giant.
Torrent is strictly my buddy for serene watching at gorgeous Elden Ring vistas

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom