Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

hackncrazy

Savant
Well, I think I'm done with ER, at least for now.

I finished the game last night and started to clearing some bosses that I left behind. I was still enjoying the experience, because I was going from boss to boss, so it's like having the best part of a dessert.

And then I clicked on "Start Journey 2". The moment I got out and the LIMGRAVE letters appeared on my screen with that huge world in my face, I realized I was done. I simply don't have the energy enough to go through this journey again. In previous souls games, I instantly started NG+ (I'm pretty sure I already finished Bloodborne like 50 or 60 times, including speedruns, challenge runs etc) and on and I was always enjoying new runs. For my tastes, the overextended endgame killed a lot of the enjoyment I was having with ER. The sad part is that I really want to play against some bosses again, mainly Margit, Morgott, Godfrey, Rennala, Mohg and some more. But the single thought of having to ride for like 30 minutes just to get to them instantly kills that. Even the speedruns that I watched today are extremely boring and consists of seeing the guy riding a horse for 80% of the time.

That's not to say that ER is a bad game. I enjoyed most of my time with it and even in the endgame I was having fun with some boss fights. The problem against replaying it is the colossal hugeness of the world.

If someone makes a boss rush mod at some point (or even a mod that allows you to travel to any site of grace from the start), I'd be very happily to keep playing. Hell, with any of these features, it'll probably be my most played FS game. But as it stands now, I'll stop playing.

Jackpot

Learned
I like that From decided to add Hero's Graves as a sick practical joke to punish players wanting to play their game.
A very fresh idea.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Alright boyos, I just upgraded my Elden Ring from the """alternative demo""" version to the Steam Standard version. Will try to import my character over, but whether it fails or succeeds, I'm thinking of trying this:

KAMEHAMEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :lol:

And then I clicked on "Start Journey 2". The moment I got out and the LIMGRAVE letters appeared on my screen with that huge world in my face, I realized I was done. I simply don't have the energy enough to go through this journey again. In previous souls games, I instantly started NG+ (I'm pretty sure I already finished Bloodborne like 50 or 60 times, including speedruns, challenge runs etc) and on and I was always enjoying new runs. For my tastes, the overextended endgame killed a lot of the enjoyment I was having with ER. The sad part is that I really want to play against some bosses again, mainly Margit, Morgott, Godfrey, Rennala, Mohg and some more. But the single thought of having to ride for like 30 minutes just to get to them instantly kills that. Even the speedruns that I watched today are extremely boring and consists of seeing the guy riding a horse for 80% of the time.

And that's where I point out Dark Souls 2 bonfire ascetics were THE best system ever implemented in a DS game. I NEVER started NG+ in any of these games.

Silva

Arcane
Wait, how Ranni

stole the "rune of death" before the Shattering even hapenned? Don't all runes come from the Elden Ring itself?

Or did she sneaked in the ring chamber and nicked only the part relative to the death rune with a pick or something?

(Lutte ?)

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Wait, how Ranni

stole the "rune of death" before the Shattering even hapenned? Don't all runes come from the Elden Ring itself?

Or did she sneaked in the ring chamber and nicked only the death rune with a pick or something?

(Lutte ?)
Marika didn't put the rune in the elden ring in the first place (remember what I said about runes being something that define reality's order and that none were essential per se to construct the ring?). She gave it to her half brother, Maliketh. Ranni stole it from him.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Also on a side note about the shattering
despite the name of the event, it's not about the destruction of the ring. The "shattering" means the shattering of the world's order and the loss of grace, it happened when the demi gods started waging war on each other over the pieces of the elden ring! The people still had the grace of the Great Will before the shattering and after Marika destroyed the ring.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm thinking of trying this:

Depends on where you're at currently.
I've checked out the details, you need 60 Int for that build, which means you must be reasonably lvl 120, which means it's really an NG endgame build.

Magic can be super powerful if you have all the reqs and you stack all the items you've found but I'm late-midgame now, with Int 30, still lacking some important items and honestly, pure caster build sucks balls.

Plus I've always enjoyed melee much more in Souls. So far I'm having a blast with Moonveil, thinking about respeccing into MLGS.

Silva

Arcane
Wait, how Ranni

Or did she sneaked in the ring chamber and nicked only the death rune with a pick or something?

(Lutte ?)
Marika didn't put the rune in the elden ring in the first place (remember what I said about runes being something that define reality's order and that none were essential per se to construct the ring?). She gave it to her half brother, Maliketh. Ranni stole it from him.
Thanks, makes sense. Is there a logic for what runes went in the ring and what didn't? The reality-defining ones (gravity, life, death, etc) all stayed out, is that it?

And what do you think of this lore in regard to DS? I love DS1 mythology (and the way it's presented in that intro), but I'm finding the intrincate relationship between the gods more developed and interesting here.

Joyvankek

Learned
Post your chars fags.
Here you go:
gIqlM7N.jpg

498Gxqy.jpg

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Thanks, makes sense. Is there a logic for what runes went in the ring or when didn't? The reality-defining ones all stayed out, is that it?

The "god" who has been awarded with the control of the Elden Ring by the Great Will pretty much decides what runes goes in and goes out (as long as it doesn't rebel against the Great Will, probably). Marika didn't want Destined Death - another name for the Rune of Death, to exist in the lands between, so she kept it out of the ring.
Before Marika, there was another unnamed God, most likely a Dragon, in charge of the Elden Ring. We know it because Dragonlord Placidusax was the Elden Lord of ancient times and I doubt a Dragon would be a consort to a human but we've seen some weird shit out there.

vmar

Savant
It may be the open world, it also may be the sheer size. People nolife this game for a week straight with zero toilet breaks and then complain about a burnout.

I'd agree that the open world isn't necessarily the problem, the game is just too big for it's own good. I'm not a huge fan of open world in general, but I will say that this is the one of the better ones. As others have said, when I play souls, I have to explore every nook and cranny, because I can't stand the thought of missing out on a weapon or upgrade mats or something. The first 40-50 hours or so I was thoroughly combing the map, taking in the sights and just enjoying the game, but it doesn't take long at all to notice all the repetition. I actually groaned and got a horrible feeling in my gut when I walked into my first underground tomb (I think its the tomb tileset idk) because it looked just like a Bloodborne chalice dungeon. From that point on I knew I was gonna see a lot of repeats. Running through a cave or whatever just to see what's at the end starts to feel like a chore after awhile.

Still I really do like the game, the legacy dungeons are well done, I love the entire underground section and there's so many weapons to play around with. I just wish it was a little smaller.

As a side note, another thing that pisses me off about this game is seeing all my retard steam friends who play CoD and shit all day posting reviews about how this is the best rpg in a decade while they have like 5 hours played. Fuck off retards.

Are we in for a decade of cheap ER knockoffs now?

yes

From will never make a 'traditional' souls game ever again

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
As for what I think about the lore.. it's interesting to look into it to get more of the game but I think it's a weird mix of elements that don't work well with each other. There's a little lovecraftian here, a little satanic alchemy there (read a little about The Great Work in alchemy, you'll understand what I mean after that), on the surface level looks a little like greek epics, has all the common souls tropes still, but the deeper you go, the weirder it becomes, and it's mostly item description because few NPCs really talk about the meat, even Ranni is a little evasive compared to what you learn from item description -
Ranni herself serves another Outer God, the Dark Moon. It was the outer god of the Eternal City and they waged war against Marika and the Great Will

Mortmal

Arcane
As stated a page or two ago, I've now 100%'d the game after about 80 hours and I wanted to note down all of my thoughts on it. Be warned, this won't really be in any coherent or logical order and there will be SPOILERS AHEAD.

We'll start with the good aspects of the game. The environmental design is gorgeous and the legacy dungeons are some of the best in the series. There are so many "wow!" moments when you look down a precipice at all of the explorable content below, or you cross the crest of a hill and see a sprawling vista in the distance - a brand new part of the world to go adventuring in. The first 20 hours or so really feels like an adventure as you get to grips with the world and its geography, the setting, the brand new mechanics and all of the little NPC quests going on. A lot of people were comparing it to Dragon's Dogma and I absolutely got that vibe as I trawled through Limgrave, finding exciting little side dungeons and gearing up to take on Stormveil Castle or mentally preparing to fight the Dragon in the lake. The feeling of exploration and adventure continues in the legacy dungeons, with Stormveil Castle and Raya Lucaria starting you at the foot and slowly ascending, while Leyndell and Crumbling Farum Azula give you the view from up top and have an immediate, and immense, sense of scale as you take in the fact that you'll be exploring this entire, massive environment. Leyndell becomes even more ludicrously massive when you find out that it has a sewer system, which on its own could be a legacy dungeon. I'm comfortable saying that if the legacy dungeons were connected by flimsy cutscenes, or even a set of teleporters ala the Nexus from Demon's Souls, that I would have been quite happy to play a game which was just those dungeons and nothing else.

For the first time ever, I get the sense that all builds are viable. I played through as a Faith/Strength character, and was pleasantly surprised to see that split damage weapons were actually viable for the first time since the original Dark Souls, and that split damage weapons with scaling were actually viable (and indeed, optimal) for the first time since Demon's Souls. The one thing I'll say is that the length and breadth of the game probably encouraged even pure melee builds to invest in some magic, with the proliferation of Memory Stones available from side dungeons, and many useful sorceries and incantations requiring very little stat investment to be cast. Rotten Breath jumps to mind immediately as something that even "pure" melee builds would probably be using. Maybe this doesn't make them "pure" as such, and the traditional Dark Souls method of rolling+melee attacks only is now outdated, but it seems like an intentional decision by the devs to make players experiment with the wide range of options available to them. The ease of access to re-speccing also makes me think that FromSoft wanted players to experiment with different builds and ideas if they got stuck or felt they had made a mistake. Options for all builds are available to the player very early on, and while Sorcery-based builds sort of get shafted in the early game, the ability for players to skip straight to Liurniua of the Lakes and the continuing updating of wikis will probably ease some of the frustration felt by the community in this regard as optimal routes through the game become more common knowledge.

So, the gameplay balance is relatively good and the dungeons are a lot of fun. Sounds great, but what are the problems with the game?

Well, there are actually a lot. I said that the first 20 hours feel like an adventure, but that feeling eventually disappears as you see how formulaic the world design actually is. Once you've left Limgrave, you'll be comfortable with all of the new mechanics, the different types of side dungeons and the re-used bosses. Asset re-use has always been a part of FromSoft games, with different enemy types appearing across different zones and the occasional boss being palette-swapped, but Elden Ring features the most egregious and frustrating examples of it in any Souls game so far. For basic enemies, I guess I'll just use Rats as an example. In the original Dark Souls, you'll find a solitary Rat in the aqueduct above Firelink Shrine, a few in the Undead Parish, and then they are the most common enemy type in The Depths. Across these three zones, the Rats never really "scale" to the player and they maintain a consistent and logical level of strength. They start at 80 HP and eventually get up to 112, but in a game where base damage for a Longsword is 80, players will always be killing them in one or two hits, regardless of how strong or weak they are. In Elden Ring, Rats are an enemy type in every single zone and their HP scales to the recommended level of those zones. This means that Rats found in Limgrave will have low amounts of HP (around 200) while Rats found in endgame zones like the Consecrated Snowfields will have over 1,000. My god-slaying Level 160 character was not able to kill these Rats in one hit with a +10 Magma Wyrm Scalesword even with 45 STR and 45 FAI. This is level scaling and it is an obscene example of it, even worse than the kind found in Oblivion. Why FromSoft thought that certain kinds of enemy needed to be a consistent level of threat to the player is beyond me, because it makes the world feel extremely artificial.

Re-used common enemies are not the only example of asset re-use. Some bosses are copy+pasted into side dungeons or on the overworld. In some cases, this is logical and consistent while in others it is not. Erdtree Avatars are an example of this which don't annoy me, since they are skippable overworld encounters found at the exact type of location on the map every time. The player need only fight them if they want extra Tears to mix into their Wondrous Physick, otherwise they can be safely ignored. It doesn't even bother me that they're clearly just re-skinned Asylum Demons from Dark Souls 1 and 3, either. I think that in a game this large, some asset re-use is to be expected and even if it's an enemy type that long-time players are well acquainted with, it may as well be thrown in there. Mounted Knight bosses such as the Tree Sentinels and Night's Cavalry are also good examples of this, as they are spread out through the game enough and sometimes only accessed under certain conditions, which means in an 80 hours playthrough you end up fighting maybe one every 10 hours. I don't mind that (Draconic) Tree Sentinels, Night's Cavalry and the Royal Knight bosses are simply palette swaps of the same enemy type wielding Lightning, Holy, Bleed and Magic damage respectively, since that at least gives me some basic variation and something to prepare for an counter through the use of different armours, shield and spells. It's a bit like the Demon Firesage in the original Dark Souls. It's just the Stray Demon with fire damage and that's fine, because by the time I fight it, it's been hours since I fought the Stray Demon and I'm used to the attack patterns, so I can happily breeze through it and gobble up all of the Souls and gear. Thank you very much.

The big problem is that some bosses aren't even palette swaps. Anyone who has fought Astel, Naturalborn of the Void at the end of Ranni's questline will know what a cool and sort of spooky moment it is when you first confront that boss. It's totally unlike anything else you've fought - an eldritch abomination from outer space, born from a shooting star that destroyed one of the Eternal Cities and the same sort of shooting star that just tore half of East Limgrave apart. And you're expected to fight it all by yourself. Unfortunately, this moment is cheapened when you encounter a boss named Astel, Stars of Darkness at the bottom of a random Mine side dungeon in the Consecrated Snowfields endgame zone. To rub salt in the wound, it also has twice as much HP as that original abomination from beyond the stars that you fought in a big story moment with lots of lore implications. This isn't the only instance of this happening, although it is the most egregious - the first major story boss, Godrick the Grafted, has a clone in a random Evrgaol. Mohg, Lord of Blood, one of the endgame Demigod bonus bosses that you don't need to defeat to finish the game, has his first form sitting in the sewers guarding access to an ending which the character himself has no relation to. Why? What's going on here?

The game is simply too big and stretched too thin. A common sentiment I've found among friends is that they start to lose steam at the Mountaintop of the Giants, having expected to finish the game after reaching the Erdtree for the first time. Instead they find out that there's one more mandatory zone to journey through, another Legacy Dungeon, and an entire bonus zone and two bonus Legacy Dungeons which aren't necessary for completing the game. It's supposed to be the end and then they find out that they're maybe only 3/4 of the way through - there's another 20-25 hours left if they're actually good at the game, far more if they're having trouble with the difficulty of bosses or dungeons. Speaking of the difficulty, this game is full of bullshit encounters and some of the most degenerate boss design seen in a video game. I'd describe it as a mix between the worst aspects of Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3. You have the random duo bosses and bosses with adds that Dark Souls 2 was so fond of, combined with the screen-consuming, 12-hit combo, spastic, gigantic, leaping bosses of Dark Souls 3. When I had to fight two Crucible Knights at the bottom of a random catacomb dungeon, I just rolled my eyes. I felt the same way when I had to fight the big Misbegotten and a Crucible Knight at Redmane Castle - what relation do these two enemy types share? The Godskin Duo boss is notorious for just being a total shitfight, made even better by the fact that the boss healthbar is more than the combined HP of the singular enemies, meaning that one or both will actually respawn. Not a single duo encounter features enemies specifically designed to be fought as a pair, like Ornstein and Smough or the Bell Gargoyles from the original Dark Souls. Instead, these are always clumsy encounters featuring two enemies flailing into and amongst one another as they stunlock you to death. The enormous, spastic bosses in the style of Dark Souls 3 are even better. The Unalcerated Tree Spirit enemy is routinely placed in rooms which are two small for its animations to play out properly, often having half of its body clipping through wall and with tells that are basically non-existent. The extent of strategy for dealing with it is just rolling if it looks like it's going to attack, and hoping that you have enough HP to tank the hit if you messed up. This also applies to the multitude of bosses with long mix-up combos, weaving through fast, slow, delayed and sometimes instantaneous attacks specifically design to catch the player off guard and punish them for mistiming rolls or thinking that they can get a quick hit in on the boss. The developers either expect players to engage in a perverse form of Simon Says, or they simply want players to stumble through all encounters by pumping VIG and just accepting that they'll need to routinely trade hits. I've used the word "spastic" several times after seeing it used to describe the combat earlier in this thread, because it's just so fitting. It's a spastic, clumsy experience of basically tripping through boss encounters and it doesn't feel satisfying.

There are two exceptions to this in my experience, and one of those is the copy-pasted bosses. You fight enough Horseback Knights, Dragons, Erdtree Avatars and Crucible Knights that one on one fights with those enemies are relatively painless and even sometimes fun, since you'll basically have the attack patterns engrained into your muscle memory by the end of the game. Lichdragon Fortissex was a fun fight, simply for being an Ancient Dragon with an extra gimmick of spreading the Death status. Despite being my first proper encounter with the Ancient Dragon subtype, I knew broadly what I needed to do to deal with him, and I knew which resistances I needed to stack on my gear and with Incantations in order to make the fight as easy as possible. This is one of those fun RPG moments where the breadth of possibilities available to the player finally enhances the experiences. Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon was another fight that I really enjoyed for the same reason. She has a simple first phase (basically Deacons of the Deep 2.0) and then the second phase is much more challenging, a fight against the setting's master Sorcerer on a moonlit lake set to an understated string score accompanied by chanting which reminded me of Kenji Kawai's soundtrack to Ghost in the Shell. It's great, and I wish more bosses followed her example. A simple setup with an obvious way of countering her (stack magic resistance!) and the composer having the courage to step away from the usual bombastic, orchestral score that underpins the rest of the game's soundtrack. Some bosses nearly get there. Malenia, the game's secret superboss, would be fantastic were it not for a single move in her repertoire which can easily kill players immediately with very little warning. The aforementioned Astel would be a lot more fun if not for his teleporting grab attack which would always one-shot me even with hugely pumped VIG for that stage in the game. The Regal Ancestor Spirit is very cool, has nice music which again is totally different from the rest of the soundtrack and it's unfortunate that it was just a piece of side content and not something with important to the overall setting or narrative. Then again, maybe it's a good thing that it was just side content. If it were important to the main story, FromSoft would have decided that it needed to have a 19 hit combo and be able to do backflips around the arena.

I haven't even talked about shit like the Fallingstar Beast in the Sellia Crystal Tunnel that attacks you before you finish walking through the fog gate, or the fact that bosses are nearly all susceptible to Bleed and Rot, not because it makes sense for them to be, but because I think FromSoft needed them to be in order for players to realistically beat them. Rot in particular as a status is invaluable because of its damage over time effect, which is so helpful and keeping boss HP ticking down since the players has so few openings to actually deal damage. You'll often have dealt 25-50% of the bosses HP pool while having only been able to get 2 or 3 hits in, due to how insanely aggressive the bosses can be and how few genuine openings they leave. Spirit Summons also trivialize the game's difficulty, the Mimic Tear in particular. This feels like another case of FromSoft making a mechanic intentionally overpowered in order to compensate for the absolute bullshit that they make the player deal with. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are games that I would describe as tough but fair. They didn't rely on too much mechanical mastery or amazing reflexes, they just wanted the player to observe their surroundings, pay attention and most importantly, be patient. Looking back of Dark Souls and particularly Demon's Souls, you'll find that bosses which relied on memorizing attack patterns and executing with mechanical precision were the exception rather than the rule. Demon's Souls really only has Flameluker and False King Allant, while Dark Souls has the Bell Garogyles, Quelaaq, Sif, Ornstein and Smough, Four Kings and Gwyn if the player doesn't parry. The focus didn't really shift until the Artorias of the Abyss DLC, where the Sanctuary Guardian is probably more difficult than every vanilla fight bar OnS, and the other three bosses (Artorias, Kalameet, Manus) really set the tone for what the rest of the series would be focusing on. A big guy with a sword who does anime flips and powers up throughout the fight, a Dragon fight with breath attacks that consume the arena, and a camera-blocking monstrosity with a 10 hit combo attack designed to one shot players who mistime a single roll.

I wish I could love this game, but it's left me feeling somewhat bitter. There was so much about it that was great, but it's just drowned in a tide of copy-pasted, formulaic content and cancerous design decisions. You could remix and cut this game down to a satisfying, 30 hour experience that people would love to replay once or twice every year. Instead, FromSoft have created an unwieldy behemoth that I really don't think I will ever play again. There's just too much to dislike, and unfortunately a lot of it is tied to the game's primary progression path. Maybe I'll warm up to it with time, but I just don't see it happening. Did I enjoy myself? I'll say that I did enjoy the game more often than not, but there was a significant amount of time where I wasn't having fun, and from about Caelid onwards I was starting to feel like the game was more of a grind that I had an obligation to finish, rather than an experience that was so much fun that I couldn't put it down. More good than bad, but a lot of bad to balance out all of the good. I'll finish with a music analogy:

Physical Graffiti, at 82 minutes and 59 seconds, is nearly twice as long as Led Zeppelin IV. That doesn't make it the better album.

Again the complaint about game being too long is absurd , it was released last week and you finished an over 100+ hours game, explain the burn out of an already jaded gamer who dont enjoy them so much anymore , you are maybe not supposed to play such amount of time immediately. I like strawberries, but eating a full bathbub of them i may get sick, its true for everything. Too long eh ? Then what are you going to play next now ? There's maybe starfield coming this year and wont be nearly as good. Sure it is formulaic and there's some copy paste , but it's way better than any of the ubisoft or bethesda games, or even that lately released dying light 2 , now that's really boring copy and past encounters.
Worth pointing too they are not charging 80 euros like the "nextgen" games. Everyone has right to his opinion,and wont deny there's some point to improves , but thats an unfair review of the game the good points vastly outweight the design issues . Or if you review any other game with the same lenses they are all utter garbage. 80 hours to finish it you said, thats double the amount of hours of any job week , they certainly must be doing something right....

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Again the complaint about game being too long is absurd

By From standards it certainly is a long game, I've never taken more than 30 hours to finish a single run of a souls game. Heck even Sekiro, with which I struggled for a decent while, steam says I clocked 49 hours on it and that's counting replaying the whole game again to get to the other ending path with the other bosses and some hours spent after patch when they allowed you to replay against bosses you've done.

Some of us prefer our games to be more content dense, like, less dicking around with a horse, more doing real levels and interesting encounters. It's not unfair criticism if we think more time spent looking at grass isn't time we find fun in a video game.

Curratum

My character atm:

AB02A85252C9DEC397C6039AC11974BD5C05E07E

Never used the greataxe in other From games, but love how it looks in ER.

I need to know the name of that piece with the chain! I have radahn's things and the mask, just missing the other piece.

By From standards it certainly is a long game, I've never taken more than 30 hours to finish a single run of a souls game. Heck even Sekiro, with which I struggled for a decent while, steam says I clocked 49 hours on it and that's counting replaying the whole game again to get to the other ending path with the other bosses and some hours spent after patch when they allowed you to replay against bosses you've done.

Some of us prefer our games to be more content dense, like, less dicking around with a horse, more doing real levels and interesting encounters. It's not unfair criticism if we think more time spent looking at grass isn't time we find fun in a video game.
I do think anon it is longer game anon with many cute Elden Ring DLC anon! I do! I do think anon it is cute anon with Based Old Hunters Tier Elden Ring DLC anon! I do!

Nathir

Liturgist
My character atm:

AB02A85252C9DEC397C6039AC11974BD5C05E07E

Never used the greataxe in other From games, but love how it looks in ER.

I need to know the name of that piece with the chain! I have radahn's things and the mask, just missing the other piece.

It's the starting armor of the hero class. I have it since start. Iirc I saw a nomad merchant that sells it but I couldn't say where.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom