Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Nathir

Liturgist
In the case of Ranni followers they could just be using magic though. As they are all Carians and sitting in their home turf anyway.
Or Elden Rings retarded and you can be in multiple places at once. As we see from many characters. You don't need special magic to have a phantom or even a flesh and blood clone of you be some where else.

Which characters?

Wait, what do you mean by flesh and bone clones?
The omens both have actual solid versions of themselves in 2 places. Even if the 'real' ones already dead. Mogh is in the sewer and in the palace at the same time. and Margott is at Stormveil/the capital and outside the capital gates disguised as a soldier. They're the exact same look as the real ones so they're not astral projections or fakes like the gold guy in the capital or Ranni's cast's projections. There's also the wizard woman but I don't recall how her double works.

Mohg in Sewers is not the actual Mohg. There are exactly 3 enemies which dissapear in a golden dust instead of the regular one. Sewer Mohg, Godfrey illusion and Margitt. They are all the same type of magic being used. Probably Morgotts magic, considering he protects all 3 places. The disguised soldier is also another Morgott trick. Sure it's probably jsut a way to reuse assets, but in-world it's Morgotts magic.

Barbarian

Arcane
Would you admit that despite the effort with documentation and worldbuilding on the part of Bethesda's devs, Elden Ring has better world building and is the better game?

No. Elder Scrolls worldbuilding isn't anything too special for medieval fantasy settings, but it's consistent, easy to follow, filled with tons of dialogue and books that flesh things out and, weirdly for Bethesda, isn't quite as prone to "wait, what happened?" moments. The From style of being vague and leaving things open to interpretation is fine for shorter, more linear experiences like Demon's Souls or Bloodborne, but sucks the life out of a fifty hour open world exploration game.

So far as which is the better game? Of course, that's subject to taste, but it's pretty telling that From tried to adopt elements of Bethesda's style, not the other way around.

But it is boring and lame. I would rather have a vague and inconsistent setting that picks my attention and stimulates my imagination than some overbuilt and well documented setting that I won't bother to read about or explore.

Morrowind was the last TES game that didn't bore me to death btw. That setting was actually ok. All the lore and material in subsequent games was ignored even by TES fans(who are mostly illiterate wankers these days).

Silva

Arcane
Why are these "Godskin apostle" dudes guarding the rune-activating towers? There's a fatso in Liurnia one, and now I stumbled into a skinny one in Caelid (who hits like a truck btw).

Nathir

Liturgist
I think you are just overthinking things for no reason. The game is pretty clear on which events happened before and after the Shattering.
Yeah, you're right, I shouldn't apply real life thinking to a game that had its "story" or more correctly random string of characters that hopefully produces legible text that's supposed to pass as "lore", 5 minutes before the game launches.
Why do these specifics even matter?
IRL, they would. In-game, they don't.
If the lore was very detailed every bit of information (no matter how obscure) would have been another piece in the puzzle but then again this is From we're talking about here.

BTW, just for lulz, here you go, an absurd example of...dedication or maybe mental illness. Of course I don't expect anyone to actually watch these. 35.75 hours of fever.

You're just trying too hard to hate on the game for no reason at this point.

Silva

Arcane
You're just trying too hard to hate on the game for no reason at this point.
"Not too to much the Sky, not too much the Earth."

From's world-building is far from the mythopoeia masterpiece fans advocate, but they DO have some very cohesive and evocative works in DS1 and Bloodborne. Even Sekiro is nice, if a bit mundane.

Elden Ring feels bloated and more disjointed in comparison, as if they lost their hand or made it on purpose.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Nathir Huh? I just agreed with you that going too deep into it isn't worth it. I hate the way From does lore in their games.
As for ER in particular I hate the bosses as everything else is the same as in their previous games.

Silva

Arcane
As for ER in particular I hate the bosses as everything else is the same as in their previous games.
It's not?

Their previous, "legacy" gameplay had me 100% focused on careful exploration of tightly designed levels while minding scarce resources in a tense, survival affair. But here I'm 50% of the time IIIEEEEEE HAAA! superfast on my horse on empty maps ignoring monsters for collectibles, while the other 50% I'm on a mild version of "legacy" experience where I can insta-teleport back to farm until next level instad, so the tension of losing precious runes/souls/runes is gone?

Child of Malkav

Erudite
It's not?

Their previous, "legacy" gameplay had me 100% focused on careful exploration of tightly designed levels while minding scarce resources in a tense, survival affair. But here I'm 50% of the time IIIEEEEEE HAAAA!!! superfast on my horse through empty maps ignoring monsters for collectibles, while the other 50% of the time I'm on a mild version of that "legacy" experience where I can insta-teleport back to farm for next level instad, and so losing precious runes/souls/runes is never an issue?
ER is the easiest From game, or at least it can be as easy as you make it.
When I said it's the same I referred to the mechanics, gameplay, options, tools etc. I didn't mention the new additions: vast open world, horse, crafting, guard counter.
Literally the only new features of the title. The game is also made easier by the sheer amount of bonfires/graces available and being able to teleport to any of them with the the only restriction that you're not in combat.
The same elements from the previous games are: UI, weapons and weapon arts/ashes of war, spirit summoning, same inventory, same layout and ways of selecting and equipping gear, spells, consumables, weapons, NPCs and the way you interact with them and do their quests, how they teleport from one place to another, how you have to reload an area to get them to move after exhausting their dialogue, same overall story/lore concepts, same menus, same stats, same status effects maybe old ones reworked a bit and renamed, same structure with areas and area bosses, minibosses, bonfires, shortcuts, secondary locations, resting at a bonfire respawns the enemies, heals you, access a storage box, select NG+ and on and on and on. These are not all negative things, just the sameness I was referring to.

9ted6

Educated
Still Elden Ring's setting and characters are more interesting and original than 99% of what is out there.
Who could forget such memorable characters as evil retard man who wants power, or evil retard woman who wants power, or evil retard man who wants power and is gay, or evil retard man who's insane, or of course the evil retard man who wants to eat shit.

Snake girl's a little interesting but she's still cheap waifu bait.

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Their previous, "legacy" gameplay had me 100% focused on careful exploration of tightly designed levels while minding scarce resources in a tense, survival affair.
Scarce resource management? You have infinite healing refills and nothing else matters. There's no resources to manage in a souls game, just optional items you may want to use but are barely worth it outside of elemental resins.
spirit summoning,
Kind of new. You couldn't summon monsters before.
Which one is gay?? And I don't recall any evil retard women who want power.
Ranni would be an evil retarded woman wanting power.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Oh. Ranni isn't particularly retarded.
She posesses a miniature version of her exact body and doesn't expect the guy who found out she's a puppet to expect it to be her. She's fucking retarded.
Well... murdering Godwyn just to free herself from the Two Fingers was fairly evil.
Which leads to a whole host of problems because she's so selfish.
Which one is gay?? And I don't recall any evil retard women who want power.
Mohg is gay

Wishing to raise Miquella to full godhood, Mohg wished to become his consort, taking the role of monarch.
Miquella mind fucks any one near him. He forces them to do his bidding with the world's highest charisma stat. Mohg being mind fucked doesn't imply he's a fag despite the consort line. It's more like being hypnotised rather than a faggot. Would be interesting is Miquella is the actual lord of blood and was using Mogh all along.
Kind of new. You couldn't summon monsters before.
You could summon NPCs to boss fights.
Totally different to summoning monsters IMO.

Barbarian

Arcane
I'm very butthurt about jrpg writing.

With special participation of that fat perv from GoT who is on the sexual offender registry.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom