Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Game keeps awfully (un)balanced. Just found another game breaking shit: Black Knife Ticha ash of war. I kid you not, this bitch trounces bosses alone. I play the support when I summon her.
Banished Knight Oleg and Latenna the Autistic are also OP.

Me, personally, I love this movie I try not to summon any phantoms unless it's a trash boss that's copy-pasted throughout the game 10 times, like the endless asylum demons erdtree avatards.

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane
Latenna was my favorite ash but she was pretty situational. I.e: Spawn her on some safe platform and let her snipe enemies while you aggro them. Used her with great success on some dragons for instance.

On many boss fights she simply doesn't manage to do much and is killed quickly, being that she is not mobile.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
There's actually quite a few really good ashes out there, but it's very random which are awesome and which suck balls, since it often comes down to things that aren't apparent from just looking at their equipment or description. The shield bros are apparently quite good because they're tanky and stunlock things, the perfumer chick can be powerful support, and the crystallian is basically invincible. While some enemies that seem like they'd be awesome like those fucking barbarian railgunners do barely any damage or stun, and a bunch of the cool looking knights aren't aggressive enough to be useful.

Caim

Arcane
There's actually quite a few really good ashes out there, but it's very random which are awesome and which suck balls, since it often comes down to things that aren't apparent from just looking at their equipment or description. The shield bros are apparently quite good because they're tanky and stunlock things, the perfumer chick can be powerful support, and the crystallian is basically invincible. While some enemies that seem like they'd be awesome like those fucking barbarian railgunners do barely any damage or stun, and a bunch of the cool looking knights aren't aggressive enough to be useful.
The shield squad is very good at tanking things hitting them from the front, but the moment the target goes around their shields in some way they fold like wet cardboard. So don't put them up against a troll or a godskin or something similar and they'll serve you well.

Silva

Arcane
I could swear Gurrang discovered I'm using night-eyes queen stuff (blackflame) because the second time I visited him he said something like "Hmm.. there's something else here..." and the third time he outright attacked me. Now each time I visit him he attacks me.

Does the game have this level C&C or I'm mistaken and the cause for him attacking me is something else?

Edit: for those who don't know, the night-eyes queen is the former owner of the death rune, who Gurrang/Maliketh took it from in some distant past.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I could swear Gurrang discovered I'm using night-eyes queen stuff (blackflame) because the second time I visited him he said something like "Hmm.. there's something else here..." and the third time he outright attacked me. Now each time I visit him he attacks me.
After a certain number of deathroots given to him, he will begin to attack you; something like 3 or 4. Like Patches, when you get him down to a lower HP he will be calm once more and you can "reset" the area

Efe

Erudite
Empyrean, you pleb!

Also, no, it doesn't say anywhere that empyreans have to be born of "a single god".
Miquella and Malenia are both the children of a single god. As such they are both Empyreans, but suffered afflictions from birth.
"All parrots are birds" =/= "all birds are parrots".
It literally says being children of a single god makes you empyrean. what do you think "as such" means in that context?
maybe you can argue child of god = empyrean and single god is the for the affliction part.
still, its not "It doesn't say anywhere"

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
It literally says being children of a single god makes you empyrean
It doesn't say that you have to be a child of a single god to be empyrean. Again, "all golden retrievers are dogs" is not the same as "all dogs are golden retrievers". If you're not getting this, then I cannot teach you basic logical fallacies. Consider getting a brain transplant.

Silva

Arcane
I keep struggling to reconcile the mythic and cosmic sides in the setting. Love the small details, hate the big picture. Probably because I expected more of the mythic when I saw Limgrave and the Arthuriana and Golden Order prophets and shit, but then that's just veneer for the Lovecraftian cosmicism. A pattern that worked great in Bloodborne, not so much here.

Oh well. I must suppress the storyfag in me.
:dealwithit:

Efe

Erudite
putting aside your retard attitude. you seem to be using logic in wrong order/direction.

All pugs are dogs. As such they are all good boys.
Pugs are good boys because they are dogs and dogs are good boys.

Miquella and Malenia are both the children of a single god. As such they are both Empyreans, but suffered afflictions from birth.
M&M are children of a single god. As such they are both empyreans.
M&M are both empyreans because they are children of a single god.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/as_such
4. Being as previously mentioned or described.
I'm a mother of four young children; as such, I'm always rushed off my feet.

Nathir

Liturgist
Iirc that description is the only one in the game which even attempts to explain how an Empyrean is made. And there are no vague words being used like "It is believed that" or things like that. Also, again, the rune of the unborn is similar to Malenia's rune. Not to Radahns and Rykards.

Silva

Arcane
Skinwalker my faggot friend, why did you delete the post? Here, I'm answering it anyway..

Skinwalker said:
I think Elden Ring setting actually blends those elements rather well, when it presents the mythic elements coming from the cosmic ones
I see how this makes sense from a diegetical point of view, that is, from a person living inside the setting, and in this ER is well done indeed.

My issue is more about the flavor and feeling the setting evokes on the player/real person consuming it as a work of fiction. See, the good "mythical" works in my experience manage to submerge the reader/player in those fictional people's superstitious mindset, suspending disbelief in some key moments.
For example, Bernard Cornwell's Arthurian books enact that vibe on me when it makes Merlin's mists summoning this uncertain mix of psychology, natural knowledge and supernatural that could very well be atributed to the later even for the reader. This last it is important, it makes the reader uncertain if that shit is magic or not. Same for Glorantha's King of Dragon Pass videogame which forces the player to drop real 21st century world logic and immerse in that fictional culture beliefs in order to succeed (I suspect Tolkien stories also enact this kind of feeling in ther reader but I could never get past it's writting so I'm not sure). THAT's what I'm talking here.

Maybe I'm talking more about the ephemeral, abstract vibes a work of fiction evoke more than concrete elements in settings. I just know that Bloodborne made me feel a little of the despair of HPL cosmicism, in trying to make sense of the murky Yharnam "reality", and Dragon Pass made me feel the superstitious thought that real world bronze age cultures must have felt. Here? I feel neither. For all the great world building (and amazing lore pieces!) Elden Ring presents, it feels vapid in feelings, in élan.

Don't know if I'm expressing well here. My stiff English may be showing. And I'm droping this topic as my nobody is caring anyway.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Also, again, the rune of the unborn is similar to Malenia's rune.
Iirc it is an asset that was originally designed to be Miquella's rune (which is why it's also golden). They cut a lot of stuff related to Miquella and Malenia from the game.

They've likely also changed a lot of other stuff in development, and left references to previous designs that no longer make sense.

E.g. the "Three Sisters" is a completely meaningless location name in the final version. Yes, I get that it's a fanciful reference to the three towers of the area, but it's obviously meant to refer to something more meaningful than that.

And yet, the three towers are named after Renna, Ranni, and... Seluvis. Seluvis is the third sister? And Renna ends up being some witch that mentored Ranni a long time ago, and is long dead or something. Why would Ranni introduce herself as Renna, it's almost the exact same name.

Unless... Renna was originally supposed to be a character in the game, a distinct person from Ranni... her sister. And who would be the third sister, then?

Why, none other than Melina. The parallels between Melina and Ranni are numerous (they are mirror images of one another, one representing fire/sun/faith, the other frost/moon/magic), but no real connection exists between them. Leaves a strong feeling of something rewritten/rearranged from its original design.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
4. Being as previously mentioned or described.
I'm a mother of four young children; as such, I'm always rushed off my feet.
Right, so this does not mean that if someone is "always rushed off their feet" then they can only be a mother of four young children. A mother of three (or five) young children could also be someone who is "always rushed off their feet". Or a whole bunch of other people.

Your logical fallacy is assuming that if all X are Y then all Y are also X. This is not (necessarily) true. All "children of a single god" are empyreans, but this does not mean that all empyreans must be "children of a single god".

All pugs are dogs. As such they are all good boys.
Pugs are good boys because they are dogs and dogs are good boys.
Right. And you're the moron who repeatedly insists that therefore, only pugs can be good boys. This does not logically follow. Or that only dogs can be good boys. Which also does not follow.

For example, I have a cat who is neither a dog nor a pug, and he is nevertheless a good boy. Your tortured "logic" just got BTFO.

Efe

Erudite
What you say would be true if I said "All empyreans are born of single god"
I said "M&M are both empyreans because they are children of a single god."

And it is the only clearly stated requirement for being empyrean. whatever else you think besides "I don't know" is your headcanon

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
What you say would be true if I said "All empyreans are born of single god"
That's what Nathir originally said, and I've been arguing against this whole time. Then you jumped in.
Considering Ranni is an Emyprean, who are explicitly stated to be beings born of a single god, It's true that Renalla can't be her mother.
Maybe next time you join an argument, actually check what people are claiming, genius?

And it is the only clearly stated requirement for being empyrean.
It is not a requirement. Not a necessary requirement, at any rate. Ranni is the daughter of Renalla and Radagon, and she is an empyrean. The idea that she's secretly Marika's daughter is your and/or Nathir's headcanon, and "Miquella and Malenia are empyreans born of a single god, therefore all empyreans must be born of a single god" is a logical fallacy.

Nathir

Liturgist
Yeah, it isn't literally a 100% confirmed fact that that is the only condition for an empyrean. I might have worded that poorly. But I still stand behind everything I said.

As for the bit about cut content, cut content doesn't matter it got cut for a reason. All that matters is what's in the game. And I doubt they would make such a huge oversight. And again, all the demigods get a great rune after the shattering. Ranni doesn't. It is said because she slew her flesh, but who gets the great rune? The amber egg. Rennalla herself does not hold a great rune, the egg does.

You can disagree with everything I've said, personally I think it's undisputable that Ranni came from the amber egg. And yeah, Melina is definitely Rannis sister. Or more accurately, was probably born from Marika only via some kind of magic and is probably an Empyrean too.

Efe

Erudite
It is not a requirement. Not a necessary requirement, at any rate. Ranni is the daughter of Renalla and Radagon, and she is an empyrean.
It is a direct cause of it. that makes it a requirement.
Considering all that we don't know and is vague, maybe not the only path to that state but nevertheless it is at least one of requirements.
There is no other piece of text in game that tells you what makes someone empyrean.
you know ranni is an empyrean but you don't know whether she was born of a single god or not.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
you know ranni is an empyrean but you don't know whether she was born of a single god or not.
You know she wasn't because she was born of Renalla. Anything else is your headcanon.

You can disagree with everything I've said, personally I think it's undisputable that Ranni came from the amber egg. And yeah, Melina is definitely Rannis sister. Or more accurately, was probably born from Marika only via some kind of magic and is probably an Empyrean too.
Your headcanon.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
it's over
GFuLaiTWQAAXAjJ

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
To be honest i never gave much of a shit about this lore crap. I just like the aesthetic and tone of those games. The lore itself is not something i ever felt was "key" for me. Not to say it can't be enjoyable to try to figure it out but for me it doesn't really matter one way or another.

There's just something to be said about games that just let you soak into their world without forcing you to follow an explicit narrative. I think the latter tendency is what led to games becoming "cinematic", or wanting to be like movies etc. I mean what was the plot in Doom? Right, there wasn't any, but the enviorments just oozed atmosphere and it was easy to become totally immersed in them, and the experience was far more meaningful than nu-Doom with its extensive "lore" and metric ton of text the game dumbs at you, all of which is poorly written drivel (the sequel more so than the 2016 version, which had a somewhat coherent sci-fi plot at least).

Video game writing is not particularly great even in the best case scenario so there's some merit to the idea the less is said the better. Half Life 2 decided to "expand" on the story of the first game and in my opinon they ended up with something that was not as good. The original said less but said it better. Nowadays most modern games seem to favor the opposite approach. There's constant talking and text in all of them and it's all trite. Maybe FromSoft takes it to an extreme (at least in the Souls games Sekiro had a much more explicit narrative and it wasn't a bad one either, so it's not like they can't do it) but hey, as long as they nail the aesthetic aspect of the game i can live without knowing whether Ranni is an empyrean or any crap like that.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Video game writing is not particularly great even in the best case scenario so there's some merit to the idea the less is said the better.
I was listening to FFT music while reading your post and it made mw consider it's story, which I consider to be one of it's good points and possibly my favourite of any video game. It feels like a long, detailed story, but it's actually very cut down and succinct. There's a ton of extra flavour text in the background; various dossiers on characters related to the plot, many of whom are theoretically important but not actually featured in the game, such as the king and his relatives. And there's some snippets of news once in a while or descriptions of places or treasures to help establish the setting, again, optional. But the actual plot itself is told in very few words all things considered, and most of that direct dialogue at very key moments with parts in between crucial battles and meetings glossed over with a time skip and very brief explanation. I could summarize the entire plot in about a paragraph:

Delita (a commoner) and Ramza (a noble) are a pair of young knights fresh out of the academy and close friends. Ramza's home is raided by bandits, who mistake Delita's sister for a noble they can ransom. Upon tracking down the bandits, the sister is shot by order of Ramza's brother, and Delita swears vengeance on the nobility as a whole while Ramza effectively disowns his family and becomes a mercenary. Delita manages to infilitrate both sides of a succession war as a double agent, killing key figures, kidnapping a princess, and eventually claims the throne, becoming a central figure in history . Ramza, meanwhile, discovers an entirely unrelated plot by the church to conceal the history of some demon summoning artifacts, is branded a heretic, and eventualy puts a stop to the demons and fades into obscurity despite having likely saved the world. Delita and Ramza cross paths several times during the story after separating early on, but are never in direct conflict or return to being close friends or allies.

That is, essentially, the entire plot for a 30+ hour game, aside from some particular details about which people get knifed for what exact reasons. I can remember the whole damned thing because it's relatively simple, logical, and has a consistent theme of power and greed leading to evil. I've played many RPGs with far more convoluted plots, even for shorter games, and they're much less memorable and satisfying than this one, which doesn't even have a proper resolution to one of it's central conflicts! More game authors should take note of the story in that game instead of trying to fit the god damned bootleg silmarillion in between snippets of gameplay.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
To be honest i never gave much of a shit about this lore crap. I just like the aesthetic and tone of those games. The lore itself is not something i ever felt was "key" for me.
It's not key for me either, but it is amusing to muse on the various details that do or don't add up. Especially when you're left with a weird feeling of a narrative that went through multiple last-minute rewrites.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom