Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Silva

Arcane
Loaded an old game while considering to get the DLC but 5 minutes in my will evaporated. When a sale comes up I give it a try.

Silva

Arcane
Loaded an old game while considering to get the DLC but 5 minutes in my will evaporated. When a sale comes up I give it a try.
The DLC is so much better than the base game. Better overworld and dungeon design, no redundant content, it's frabjous.
Oh I believe that. It's just I'm still feeling burned out from the last playthrough. I'm sure I'll come back to it later and appreciate it. All sources say they hit it in the exploration and (legacy) level design, which is ER raison d'etre anyway.

MasPingon

Arcane
I wonder how those people were even able to begin DLC, not being filtered by Mogh. I didn't believe that you need to be at 120-150 lvl, so I tried to beat him with my STR character at lvl 87 and with +14 greatsword. I've quickly learned that's not going to work for me, so I went for Morgoth and Fire Giant. Returned with lvl 115, +22 weapon and purification tear like a boss and owned that bastard. Now, after about 3 hours in Shadowland, DLC difficulty seems perfectly fine. First encounter with an enemy made me laugh tho, those who are playing probably know why :)

I like how it is integrated into the game, you can easly travel between Shadowlands and Lands Between. I still got a lot to do in base game - Subterranean Shunning-Grounds, whole Ranni's quest(Deeproot Depths) Crumbling Farum Azula and lot of smaller locations to expolore, so if I'm getting tired I can just switch. This game is ridiculously big now.

Last edited:

MasPingon

Arcane
I got a feeling this is an ultimate tribute to Kentaro Miura. Prepering for a DLC I decided to do Guts playthrough and first thing I found after starting an add on was basically Berserk armor:

FE3CEBC7E20C5BFB770C5E2310EE2DCD1C07993A

9F156F88464C7A5F5A62D923277F467A12E825B8

44020DEE28E4646A041151383B97B91D06063C5A

D0308FFBAC31653AC7C6ADC85E0212843BAD3544

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
been playing for 2 hours running across a boring ass world with copy pasted enemies from the main game, the main areas better be worth it otherwise I got scammed

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I can't figure out the point of the Cerulean Coast and Ruins of Rhia. At least Ruins kinda has that Alien planet feel. There's a couple things sure, but for such huge spaces I thought I was losing it when I was picking them apart and finding little to no dungeons, bosses, npcs, items of worth or weapons etc.. Maybe I didn't trigger certain things to happen. I saw some notes in one spot about an npc but they weren't there for me. Scadu Altus has been much more rewarding to explore.

randir14

Augur
I can't figure out the point of the Cerulean Coast and Ruins of Rhia. At least Ruins kinda has that Alien planet feel. There's a couple things sure, but for such huge spaces I thought I was losing it when I was picking them apart and finding little to no dungeons, bosses, npcs, items of worth or weapons etc.. Maybe I didn't trigger certain things to happen. I saw some notes in one spot about an npc but they weren't there for me. Scadu Altus has been much more rewarding to explore.
Ruins is part of a quest where you get an amulet that raises how much your potions heal. But yeah the area is too big for no reason, I kept running around thinking I was missing something else.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
Revisiting the Horned Warrior outside the Belurat Altar grace earlier really showed how the scaling on upgrades work. He could 2-tap KO me before but now he just takes ~15% of my hp per hit instead of ~50% now that I’m at blessing level 5 or 6 (I can’t remember atm). I like that it’s encouraging exploration but not much a fan of this system at all really..

I did respec from 40 to 60 vigor at the second boss but I don’t think it makes much a difference; I don’t remember well from the base game but damage especially element/status damage seems somewhat dependent on percentages instead of hard numbers.

Edit: Has anyone found Larval Tears in the DLC yet? I only have two left from the base game so slightly hesistant to respec again unless it’s a major one..

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Had great fun exploring the Shadow Keep. When it comes to the boss fights in this DLC, it's pretty much: how i stopped worrying and learned to love the spirit ashes. Didn't make any use of them in the OC, but here I'm using them and breezing through the fights so far.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
The new spirit ash with a giant hammer has been helping me quite a lot, he’s no Tiche but..

I feel weird asking for story but the lack of cutscenes seems a little strange considering it feels more plot-focused than the base game did. At least major bosses should have a little fanfare before you spend an hour fighting them.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Game runs smooth for me, High settings, I have a ~5 year old video card and 10 year old machine. Dunno what the issue is. Maybe people are getting Ray Tracing turned on by default?

Its exactly the same issue as with Malenia but dialed up to 11. If she chooses to spam the dance you lose, if not you win.
:roll: Turn off lock on and run away. That's it, that's how you avoid it.

Lion was easy with the standard cheese of 'letting the NPC summon tank it.' I have 52 Vigor and moderately defensive setup (I use the Physical resist talisman all the time and the elemental one for this fight). Beat him second try by switching to Blackflame as Holy damage didn't seem that good.

I tried joining co op fights and yep, 95% of people suck. Just stop trying to fight it head on. If it's targeting you, go defensive and circle around it until it loses interest. It's one of those classic Fromsoft bosses that just likes to thrash around constantly and half the time you can't even tell it's supposed to be attacking. But again the game gives you tools for this, use them. I had more issue with the Tree spirit in the poison water. Also, yeah, 100% not needed to be fought right away. I had 4 Scabra-douche blessings and the damage seemed manageable. The grab is a 1-hit kill for everyone I saw which I agree is pretty aggravating. Just don't get hit, bro.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Game runs smooth for me, High settings, I have a ~5 year old video card and 10 year old machine. Dunno what the issue is. Maybe people are getting Ray Tracing turned on by default?

Its exactly the same issue as with Malenia but dialed up to 11. If she chooses to spam the dance you lose, if not you win.
:roll: Turn off lock on and run away. That's it, that's how you avoid it.

Lion was easy with the standard cheese of 'letting the NPC summon tank it.' I have 52 Vigor and moderately defensive setup (I use the Physical resist talisman all the time and the elemental one for this fight). Beat him second try by switching to Blackflame as Holy damage didn't seem that good.

I tried joining co op fights and yep, 95% of people suck. Just stop trying to fight it head on. If it's targeting you, go defensive and circle around it until it loses interest. It's one of those classic Fromsoft bosses that just likes to thrash around constantly and half the time you can't even tell it's supposed to be attacking. But again the game gives you tools for this, use them. I had more issue with the Tree spirit in the poison water. Also, yeah, 100% not needed to be fought right away. I had 4 Scabra-douche blessings and the damage seemed manageable. The grab is a 1-hit kill for everyone I saw which I agree is pretty aggravating. Just don't get hit, bro.
How dare you act like a man and think outside the box! The DLC is brilliant because it forces all the fake fans out of their comfort zone and shows them that they ain't as good as they thought they was. These are the same brainless fucktards who shit on Dark Souls 2 because the hive told them so. If this game is demoralizing you then you deserve it. Log off and play something else and spare the rest of us your whining. I am better.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Make sure you try out the new weapons, guys. Sure, you have to upgrade them to near max before you can truly test them out for damage (which you should easily have the resources to do without it being an issue), but they are an absolute blast. The Beast Claws are so fun to use.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I explored some more.
I have to say: Jesus Christ. The overall map/world is beautiful. But what absolutely murders, kills, obliterates other open world maps is the VERTICALITY of it all. I haven't seen this vertical design of an open world before, snywhere. On top of that, the sense of scale. You feel like an ant going and seeing places you shouldn't, you couldn't. It's terrifying by itself. But what kept me going and made me go woah is constant sense of wonder at the areas and how diverse they area, at least visually. And the overall atmosphere of mystery.
I went from going down and finding those ruins of Rhua to some temple ruins covered in mist down on some crevice you can barely see, then further down by dropping on some of those sticking stones platforms out of a wall, then followed the river to some underground river passage that lead to one of those walking artillery units then climbing a hill and being smashed in the face with the blue light from the Cerulean Coast, then finding the alien looking huge stone fingers in a greyish, dead environment, like exploring an alien planet, then leaving and somehow finding a way to get lower on some poisonous area, leading to an elder's shack with some ghost there talking about the dragon in the mountain/volcano/whatever that structure is. And apparently you can go there.... somehow. I looked with the monocle and saw traversable paths. I don't know yet how to reach that but I'm looking. Then I found the suppressing pillar apparently the center of the lands between. Then finally going down into an underground huge stone coffin area where you can get to the putrescent knight, the guy from the trailer on that diseased horse, that throws his weapon like a boomerang. I haven't killed him yet but apparently he doesn't like the ancient death rancor spell. Too bad for him.
Btw, the fingerprint shield carries. No need to roll. Just block. The real MVP. You still need to roll when in second phases bosses get elemental attacks but even then the shield can cut off a large portion of the damage and if you equip elemental protection talismans it's even better. Funny watching all these retard bosses flailing around, seething and screeching at a gigachad fingerprinting them to death.
Still not using any of the fragments though thinking I should. The damage they do is way too high, even with bull goat, which I ditched for more mobility.
But yeah, overall the map/world is incredible.
Verticality, sense of scale, sense of wonder and mystery are off the charts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom