Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elex 2 VS Elden Ring

Which one will likely be better?

• Elex 2

Votes: 105 49.8%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 106 50.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul_cz

Arcane
Why, because they refuse to be fucking delusional?
Because they are annoying as fuck, with their "soulsborne games are god's gift to mankind, made for the Intelligent People(tm) who do not need to be spoonfed their narrative via cuscenes and dialogue" while actually learning anything about the those game's stories from youtube videos.

As for Elex I largely agree. Still prefer it.

covr

Prophet
Patron
I'll probably wait some time until they fix Xbox version of Elex2, so I might have time to try that Elden Ring thing. Never player any souls game as they stink anime for a mile. Does if have fixed loot or randomly generated? Is it open world from the start or the player is restricted to some hubs or limited areas? How are the quests - are they combat-oriented? Are enemies level scalled to the player?

Never player any souls game as they stink anime for a mile.
No, they really don't. The fuck are you even talking about?
These games are basically from the only japanese developer who doesn't use anime art style, anime narrative tropes or JRPG-ish gameplay loops, with a lead designer who went out of his way to explicitly admit in an interview that he wasn't really that much into Japanese RPGs.
Even their only game in a Japan setting (Sekiro) is markedly "NOT ANIME" in style and vibe (though it's incidentally their only game with a Japanese voice over, all the other Souls-something only had English voice over even in Japan).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Dark Souls not being animu was how i was convinced to try it.

Not to say there aren't tell tale signs it was made by Japanese people but it's still more Diablo than Diablo 3 ever was, just as a way of comparison.

curds

Magister
I'm guessing you've never even seen a Souls game. Closest they get to anime is having a couple of oversized swords. Aside from that they do the Western European fantasy aesthetic much better than most Western devs.

Does if have fixed loot or randomly generated?
Fixed loot.

Is it open world from the start
Yes.

How are the quests - are they combat-oriented?
Traditional CRPG-style quests are not really a thing in Elden Ring or the Souls games.

Are enemies level scalled to the player?
No.

covr

Prophet
Patron
I'm guessing you've never even seen a Souls game. Closest they get to anime is having a couple of oversized swords. Aside from that they do the Western European fantasy aesthetic much better than most Western devs.

I can't put my finger on it, but I can sense Jap crap all over DS games. I saw a couple of videos on YT of the first and third part of the game. Thanks for the answers!

curds

Magister
I can't put my finger on it, but I can sense Jap crap all over DS games. I saw a couple of videos on YT of the first and third part of the game. Thanks for the answers!
I have a theory that a lot more codexians would try/enjoy these games if they were made in Poland or Germany and not Japan.

Btw, if you are thinking of trying these games, don't start with Elden Ring. Play DS1 instead. While enjoyable, Elden Ring is basically just a declined, popamole version of Dark Souls.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Why though?

I can see only 2 aspects: decline console controls and some oversized and sometimes also wacky weapons.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I wouldve said Elden Ring, but it runs like complete dogshit. Frankly, Japan deserves to be nuked or invaded by China for from's carelessness. Maybe if I was a consoletard I'd feel differently, but I'm not, so I don't.

Literally using the money refunded from Elden Ring to buy ELEX 2 lol.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
God I despise FromSoft fanboys

For letting Japs sell them one game over and over again with changed setting and enemies- Wait, am I writing about PB or FromSoft? :positive:

I find hardcore fanboys of both places to be hilariously over the top of their head when it comes to the faults of their games and masturbation of their good aspect and I say that as a Pole. I still say that old PB ended with Risen 1, which was their best game to be released. FromSoft is slowly getting into their position of reselling one idea over and over again, albeit with good and fresh formula - one day, it will get obnoxious to everyone with a brain, but for now, it is on the top. Still doesn't change that huge part of the community is made of a faggots who swallow Japanese semen in big amounts.

In the meanwhile, I will play both games and have fun from them... maybe finish Sekiro. Hope that you, too, my dear Codexbros will have their fun with these. :salute:

Last edited:

CodexTotalWar

Learned

You aren't completely off - apparently some of the aesthetics of the Dark Soul series may be inspired by the popular manga series Berserk. The series creator apparently is a pretty big fan:
https://gamerant.com/berserk-dark-souls-bloodborne-sekiro-inspiration-influence/
https://www.knowll.com/e/123/complete-list-of-berserk-influences-on-dark-souls

The Dark Souls: Design Works book also confirm the similarities in design:
darksouls_berserk1.jpg
While Berserk isn't the most mainstream / typical manga, it is still a pretty big series within the Fantasy niche, and ultimately still has a Japanese feel to it. Personally, DS's style reminds me a darker version of the old Final Fantasy concept arts from the early, pre-3D games.

These games are basically from the only japanese developer who doesn't use anime art style, anime narrative tropes or JRPG-ish gameplay loops.

You're apparently not familiar with Capcom.
AH, yes, the creators of Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry and Street Fighter are clearly not into anime tropes.

JDR13

Arcane
These games are basically from the only japanese developer who doesn't use anime art style, anime narrative tropes or JRPG-ish gameplay loops.

You're apparently not familiar with Capcom.
AH, yes, the creators of Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry and Street Fighter are clearly not into anime tropes.

I didn't say *all* of their game were Jap-free. Where are you seeing anime in Resident Evil? Also, Dragon's Dogma is non-Jap style.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I changed my vote as I saw this:

"Requires agreement to a 3rd-party EULA
ELDEN RING EULA
ELDEN RING EULA (JP)"

Also, no GOG support as far as I know. Goes to the shit dumpster. Fuck off namco/bandai!

Codex Year of the Donut
all soulsborne games make my weebalarm fire off immediately, if you can't see it then it's because you watch too much anime
the art style itself may generally feel western, but the aesthetic screams eastern. Western artists tend to design things in a much more naturalistic way(even things that are decidedly not natural,) especially anything regarding architecture which will tend to be as grounded as you can get.

Easiest way to see this is to look at the recent Demon's Souls remake by a western developer and why the art caused so much butthurt amongst the weeb crowd, because they could innately tell what is "souls" and what isn't.
05-art-eater-demon-s-souls-vanguard-demon-original-vs-remake.jpg

the left created something fantastical without much thought to it actually existing, the right has a much heavier focus on creating a believable creature and all that implies

Momock

Augur
I didn't say *all* of their game were Jap-free. Where are you seeing anime in Resident Evil? Also, Dragon's Dogma is non-Jap style.
Well, yeah. The chicks are hot and are straight, that's a tell tale that the games aren't western.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, after the "enthusiastic" initial reviews of Elex 2 and kinda mixed reviews of Elden Ring - which is supposed to be a kinda decent soulsborne product needlessly stretched into an open world formula, I'm beginning to lean towards picking the latter first. Plus I'm longing for some Dragonslayer Greatsword heavy impact combat.
As I understand weapon impact isn't one of Elex's strong points.

Codex Year of the Donut
So, after the "enthusiastic" initial reviews of Elex 2 and kinda mixed reviews of Elden Ring - which is supposed to be a kinda decent soulsborne product needlessly stretched into an open world formula, I'm beginning to lean towards picking the latter first. Plus I'm longing for some Dragonslayer Greatsword heavy impact combat.
As I understand weapon impact isn't one of Elex's strong points.
if you like souls games:
pick up ER
otherwise:
find something else to play, maybe check out elex 2 if ti gets some patches

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Actually your average Fromsoft fan, genuinely thinks that Dark Souls pretty much invented things like dungeon crawling, metroid like progression and high difficulty Brawler combat
They are the modern equivalent of the "Halo iinvented FPS" crowd, but even worse since they say this without any shred of irony and awareness

Demon's Souls remake by a western developer and why the art caused so much butthurt amongst the weeb crowd, because they could innately tell what is "souls" and what isn't.

Agree with your point on the differences between East and West aesthetic sensibilities, but you're being disingenuous here just for the sake of edge
People that enjoyed DeS, don't like the remake's presentation (music very much included) because it's generic and mostly destroys its remarkable atmosphere - which was the key quality that made DeS unique, even compared to other From games

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Like i said, there's some obvious signs it was made by Japanese people but there's a fine line between being annoyed by animu shit and being annoyed by Japanesness as such, which i think is going too far.

The game has a better atmosphere than a lot of western games and a lot of western shit have their own retarded quirks as well (like the WoW style that has ruined plenty of medieval or fantasy western games).

There is ONE actual animu thing in the game and that's the big tittied goddess but as the story goes the artist showed up with the model after spending all day making it and even though Myazaki expressively asked not to have that stuff in the game, he let that one slide because he didn't have the heart to tell the modeler to redo it.

That ought to at least tell you some of the mindset that went behind the making of the game. I mean, to wit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom