Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

JDR13

Arcane
And yet Edan and Abessa combined are still much bigger than Carakis and Ateris, while nu-Ignadon is slightly shrunk compared to the old.

Cool, but Carakis and Ateris don't make up the entirety of Elex 2. PB said it's their biggest game to date, and I doubt they were lying for the sake of it. It might only be slightly larger than the map in Elex 1, but it's definitely not smaller.

Back then it was called the Alb invasion. You know, that thing with the yuge converters sucking the life out of everything everywhere.

:retarded:

Codex Year of the Donut
Elex 2's map is smaller, this isn't even debatable. You'd have to include the out of bounds areas containing nothing for it to come close.

Actually, it's not. It's slightly larger.

https://game-maps.com/ELEX2/ELEX1vsELEX2-maps-comparision.asp

So much for not being debatable huh?
goodjob admitting you haven't played the game
This is the actually traversable terrain in the game, spoilered because it's a map of teleporters as I couldn't find an unmarked map
Untitled.jpg

I've put off finishing the game for over a month, because I thought it would be a better experience with a performance patch.

Hurry the F up, Piranha "Lazy" Bytes. I want to zoom across the map with an unlimited jet pack in absolute glory.

:fight:

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Speaking about performance, I had to tweak the ini file and reduce the resolution scale to 80% to gain an acceptable performance.
This of course after lowering everything on low.
Now the game's appearance matches the gameplay, they are both terrible.
But I'm still playing.
I love it when the early game quests send me to kill end game monsters.
The virtues of open world design.

Codex Year of the Donut
The only setting I found to affect performance whatsoever was reducing the resolution. Everything else just had minor benefits.

JDR13

Arcane
Speaking about performance, I had to tweak the ini file and reduce the resolution scale to 80% to gain an acceptable performance.
But I'm still playing.

What kind of potato are you playing it on? I'm running it on max settings @1920x1200 and getting acceptable performance on my aging i7-4790K and GTX 1080.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
But I'm still playing.

What kind of potato are you playing it on? I'm running it on max settings @1920x1200 and getting acceptable performance on my aging i7-4790K and GTX 1080.
Friendly Funfacts no. 42: It seems Elex 2 usually works the better the worse one's computer is <insert smirkface towards rich boiis here>.

JDR13

Arcane

DEFINE ACCEPTABLE

I HAVE A 3080

Completely smooth everywhere except larger settlements like the Fort and the Grotto. I can tell the framerate is lower in those places, but it's not to the point where it actually impacts gameplay.

soulburner

Cipher
Completely smooth everywhere except larger settlements like the Fort and the Grotto. I can tell the framerate is lower in those places, but it's not to the point where it actually impacts gameplay.
That's exactly the problem. Imagine upgrading to an i9-12900K and something like an RTX 3080 and get pretty much the same performance, with huge framerate drops in settlements. If you were still able to call 40 fps "smooth" then I envy you ;)

JDR13

Arcane
That's exactly the problem. Imagine upgrading to an i9-12900K and something like an RTX 3080 and get pretty much the same performance, with huge framerate drops in settlements. If you were still able to call 40 fps "smooth" then I envy you ;)

I'd be fine with it because I'm fine with the way it is now.

soulburner

Cipher
Good for you then :)

Generally, there are three kinds of people. Those who refuse to play anything without adaptive sync high refresh rate. Then there are people who are fine with vsynced and rock stable 60 fps. And the ones who accept any framerate as long as the game remains responsive. There is nothing wrong with being in either camp.

However, the fact remains - Elex 2 has terrible and unjustified performance.

JDR13

Arcane
I definitely don't accept just any framerate.

As far as Elex 2 is concerned, no one is claiming it's well optimized.

However, it's still odd that some people are reporting much worse performance than others. I have a feeling it's more than just the game in those cases.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
^
AMD-GPUs got shafted. Their driver doesn't support deferred_renderer and can't run the game properly at all.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
It's weird because Elex 2 is a multiplatform game and as we know consoles run on amd's hardware.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
AMD-GPUs got shafted. Their driver doesn't support deferred_renderer and can't run the game properly at all.
That's not true.
Of course AMD GPUs support deferred rendering. I have an AMD GPU and play plenty of games that use deferred rendering.
That's a rendering technique that is decades old by now and has always been supported across the board because it doesn't require anything specific to a GPU. You can do it on mobile, too.

deama

Prophet
So what's the consensus for the game so far? Any better than 1st one overall?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom