Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Risen was garbage, this will be garbage.

bat_boro

Arcane
Though it really saddens me to say it, as Gothic was my favourite and most intense gaming experience ever (I even liked Gothic 3, despite all) PB is just dead guys. And where I come from we have a saying - either speak well of the dead or don't speak at all. So I guess there's no point discussing anything PB related anymore.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hm, screenshots look plasticky and a littlebit dated.

More than anything, they look like a source of boredom. For the lack of a better term.

I can't even explain it. They just ooze something very yawn-inducing.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More than anything, they look like a source of boredom. For the lack of a better term.
Yeah. To me PB has always had lackluster environments, like, you're in some dirty old woods, now what? All the fun of standing around outside looking at trees and dirt. But good gameplay made those dull environments worth exploring anyway.

Taking the dirty old woods and adding run-down post-apocalypse ruins doesn't exactly "jazz up" my excitement. It's still possible that the design will make it fun to run around on, but these first impressions are not spectacular.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Yeah. To me PB has always had lackluster environments, like, you're in some dirty old woods, now what? All the fun of standing around outside looking at trees and dirt. But good gameplay made those dull environments worth exploring anyway.

I don't know how much that really applies with the last two Risen games (at least as far as I'm concerned - I didn't find them on par with Risen 1 or Gothics, not even nearly), but otherwise yeah. The gameplay has been a sort of saving grace.

I'm not holding any vain hopes for this one, but it is possible that PB has done some homework and steps up a notch with a new setting. Is it probable, though? Can't tell.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Dunno man, between G1 to R2 ze Germans produced some of the better looking games out there. Gothic 3 was absolutely bitching, ate Oblivion for breakfast. Played it two years ago and it still looked beautiful. The northern and desert vistas were especially enchanting. Risen 1 looked great too and even Risen 2 had its moments but the engine started to show its age by then. Anyway I'd never say the environments were "dull".

Risen #1 was the bomb!

It was better than Gothic 3 at least!!

I rate Gothic 3 as one of the best non-TB RPGs ever made. Certainly the best open world one, by a long shot. The only reason people shit on it is because most of them played it on release when it was completely broken and unplayable. With all the patches and mods tho....it's a fucking treat.

And Risen 1 is undoubtedly a great RPG as well.

Taking the dirty old woods and adding run-down post-apocalypse ruins doesn't exactly "jazz up" my excitement. It's still possible that the design will make it fun to run around on, but these first impressions are not spectacular.

"PB has luckluster environments..." Actually, PB had excellent environments compared to Bethesda games... I mean loot, easter eggs, and even the atmosphere all seemed to be hand-placed instead of being designed by a fullfledged team working together as a department in some big high rise somewhere.

I mean, I just deleted Fallout 4 from my HD because I thought the entire game was lackluster.

Same deal with Skyrim, I straight up deleted it after reaping no enjoyment from it whatsoever.

I don't have an interest in anymore post-apocalyptic games though... There's way too fucking many lately.

Zombies, Post-Apocalyptic, and Fantasy... Developers keep on shoveling out uninspired games.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
PB has luckluster environments... Actually, PB had excellent environments compared to Bethesda games... I mean loot, easter eggs, and even the atmosphere all seemed to be hand-placed instead of being designed by a fullfledged team working together as a department in some big high rise somewhere.

Yeah, that's kind of the point. The gameplay related stuff brought the thing more alive. It always felt (to me) that there was this odd and charming connection with the sort of relatively difficult and rudimentary gameplay and the somewhat crummy visual design.

This didn't carry over as well with Risen 2 and 3, though.

PB has luckluster environments... Actually, PB had excellent environments compared to Bethesda games... I mean loot, easter eggs, and even the atmosphere all seemed to be hand-placed instead of being designed by a fullfledged team working together as a department in some big high rise somewhere.

Yeah, that's kind of the point. The gameplay related stuff brought the thing more alive. It always felt (to me) that there was this odd and charming connection with the sort of relatively difficult and rudimentary gameplay and the somewhat crummy visual design.

This didn't carry over as well with Risen 2 and 3, though.

I never bothered with Risen 2 or 3.

I liked Risen 1 though for reminding me of Gothic, the varied landscapes/architecture, its difficulty, the clunky combat, and because your character looked exactly like Michael Scofield from Prison Break.

I noticed a trend with European games in general that they all pay extreme attention to detail in relation to their Western counterparts.

sullynathan

Arcane
I rate Gothic 3 as one of the best non-TB RPGs ever made. Certainly the best open world one, by a long shot. The only reason people shit on it is because most of them played it on release when it was completely broken and unplayable. With all the patches and mods tho....it's a fucking treat.

We could say this for any game

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dunno man, between G1 to R2 ze Germans produced some of the better looking games out there. Gothic 3 was absolutely bitching, ate Oblivion for breakfast. Played it two years ago and it still looked beautiful. The northern and desert vistas were especially enchanting. Risen 1 looked great too and even Risen 2 had its moments but the engine started to show its age by then. Anyway I'd never say the environments were "dull".
Full disclosure, I only played G1, some of G2, and R1. I don't have a problem with graphic quality, I just found the environments depressing. Nothing but dark green and brown, lots of mud, primitive huts, farmers digging in the dirt, very "low fantasy" all around. Certainly evocative of a style and well done, but that style doesn't make me feel perky. Seeing empty screenshots of dark muddy woods doesn't thrill me. I'd much rather see some monsters or guys flying around with jetpacks or something, just anything to interest me in seeking adventure in the miserable world they're showing.

"PB has luckluster environments..." Actually, PB had excellent environments compared to Bethesda games... I mean loot, easter eggs, and even the atmosphere all seemed to be hand-placed instead of being designed by a fullfledged team working together as a department in some big high rise somewhere.
undecaf already covered it, but yeah, the area designs were very good; the gameplay kept me engaged. I guess what I meant to say is that the settings of PB games are visually depressing. And these "new" screenshots only magnify that sense of negativity. It's like if you took the island prison of Gothic and then looked at it 20 years after the prisoners all died of old age, leaving nothing and no one of interest on the island. Not jazzy.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Piranha Bytes:love:for me it is all i have to know about the game, also this:
I rate Gothic 3 as one of the best non-TB RPGs ever made. Certainly the best open world one, by a long shot. The only reason people shit on it is because most of them played it on release when it was completely broken and unplayable. With all the patches and mods tho....it's a fucking treat

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

We could say this for any game

No we couldn't.

Full disclosure, I only played G1, some of G2, and R1. I don't have a problem with graphic quality, I just found the environments depressing.

Oh no doubt, definitely in case of G1. We're talking about a 2001 game tho. ALL 3d games back then looked vomit inducing.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I wonder what engine they're using, I hope it's not their ancient homemade shit they've been peddling since Risen 1.

They've never made any effort to hide that fact. The CEO told me at Gamescom that they've been using the same toolset since 2008.

Maybe PB can reunite with JoWood and shit out a Gothic-based MMORPG... The bugs alone would be Guinness Book of World Records.

ALL 3d games back [in G1's time] looked vomit inducing.
Maybe, but Gothic 2 looked the same to me, and Risen looked the same to me again, and now ELEX looks the same yet again. Depressing, dull, depressing.

Except for maybe hundreds of added polygons!

What do you think of Bethesda releases?

Are THEY the mark of quality from your perspective?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Holy shit, not for another year? PB works at glacial speeds. Especially for a game that looks to be on the Risen 3 engine.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's like if you took the island prison of Gothic and then looked at it 20 years after the prisoners all died of old age, leaving nothing and no one of interest on the island. Not jazzy.

Actually, I always appreciated the "normality" and "un-jazzyness" of the maps from Gothic and Risen 1 and 2. They're just "down-to-Earth" and "believable", rather than "showing off" and "exotic", and I think this actually adds to the atmosphere and mood-setting of those games.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
^^My fault: didnt read the context, no butthurt anymore :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom