Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Old One

Arcane
I just pre-order Elex II as well. Elex was and is the first open world 3D game I ever played as I mainly play RPG and XCOM 2. Was really struggling at first and gave up. Then I started looking up guides and where to find weapons and things started to go up from there.

Have you played any others since then?

Billi205

Novice
I just pre-order Elex II as well. Elex was and is the first open world 3D game I ever played as I mainly play RPG and XCOM 2. Was really struggling at first and gave up. Then I started looking up guides and where to find weapons and things started to go up from there.

Nope! I've only been playing XCOM 2 and two other roguelike game like Nova Drift in small doses.

I bought Horizontal Dawn 2 Xmas ago after I finished ELEX. But haven't bothered to play it :oops:

Billi205

Novice
I just pre-order Elex II as well. Elex was and is the first open world 3D game I ever played...

Nope!

Piranha Bytes has some really good old games in a similar style, most notably Gothic and Gothic 2. You might enjoy those.

Yeah, I did look them up but I'm a sucker for eye candies so these old Gothic1/2 are not for me :(

On that note, if ELEX 2 indeed looks worse like others already mentioned in this thread or the other, I'm going for a refund! Or most likely just not gonna play it on first day until some patches are in :argh:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think the controls in Gothic 1 might be a bigger obstacle than the graphics. It almost feels like the controls were designed with the SNES gamepad in mind.

Though after you get used to them they feel good and you want to setup the sequel to use the Gothic 1 controls too.

Billi205

Novice
Yeah, I did look them up but I'm a sucker for eye candies so these old Gothic1/2 are not for me
Suck it up and play. Graphics ain't everything, art style is.

I will suck up all the decline ratings for sure as I can't cope with the old graphics. I tried. However I do agree that a game with a cohesive and consistent art style can go a long way, for years to come.

And where is the game!? I feel slightly jaded. This is my 2nd pre-order games ( the 1st being Guild Wars 2 many years ago!) and it doesn't even show up in my Steam library :killit:

I know they didn't say 1st of March on Earth and not in Magaland Elex but still...

Peachcurl

Cipher
And where is the game!? I feel slightly jaded. This is my 2nd pre-order games ( the 1st being Guild Wars 2 many years ago!) and it doesn't even show up in my Steam library :killit:

I know they didn't say 1st of March on Earth and not in Magaland Elex but still...

Game's not live on GOG either :negative:

And I just went home a bit early, to start the download. :argh:

I played Elex The First far longer than some other unnamed open world game which sort of witcher senses itself (when it's not playing another goddamn bloody cutscene).

But, at some point, I stopped playing. I think this vintage post goes a bit into it all, as that was the tipping point by which the game gradually degressed for me. Once the challenge was gone, and the late-game sent me to places I'd already seen many times over, I stopped playing. Thus, I never actually finished Elex I. I still may one day get back to it.

It also occured to me that what I liked about Elex I was pretty much a given in open world games some twenty years ago: that you're not being guided and baby-sitted this much that the thing blatantly plays itself.

-I was never particularly hugely fond of the game's world though.
-Nor the narrative, for that matter.
In those regards, aforementioned unnamed open world game which sort of witcher senses itself (when it's not playing another goddamn cutscene) fares a tad better.

In particular the first realization is intriguing, and I think it's where PB went wrong, considering that exploration in the original Gothics was/is such a joy. Whatever was iffy about the Risens (never played any of them except some demos), with Elex they're doing what even blockbuster studios on occasion appear to struggle with (hence lots of filler stuff even in Bioware/Bethsoft games, let alone Ubi et all): Building huge ass worlds and then trying to fill them with content.

Gothic (1) was basically Ultima 9, a 3D simulation of a world, except arguably more successful. It also wasn't a huge ass world. It was adequate in size. What set it apart wasn't so much the size, but the detail. Detailed NPC schedules, each NPC being more or less unique, a landscape you could actually travel and map by its unique landmarks. Had PB gone down this route and really nailed their expertise -- maybe by now they would have blown Warren Spector's dream project out of the water and carved their own niche truly. But then Hoge et all have also long left the building already, so the company and its design ethos may be very different from back then from the ground-up.

Somebody please forward this to Pankratz, or volles Pfund aufs Maul.

A Love Letter to GOTHIC's Open World Design - YouTube

Fatberg Slim

Educated
Patron
Can anyone vouch for the accuracy of this Steam guide regarding the ELEX skill mechanics, or is there another one out there that's verifiably useful in terms of understanding exactly what each skill does? When the game came out I remember many comments (and this prestigious magazine's own review) saying that the mechanics were opaque which is one reason I held off on playing, but I thought they might have been figured out by now.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you don't have much time then you are better off skipping Elex 2 all together dude.

I'll have time eventually and liked the first one. I haven't followed the discussion for ELEX 2 (due to trying to avoid spoilers), do people who liked the first game dislike the second?

GloomFrost

Arcane
If you don't have much time then you are better off skipping Elex 2 all together dude.

I'll have time eventually and liked the first one. I haven't followed the discussion for ELEX 2 (due to trying to avoid spoilers), do people who liked the first game dislike the second?
Its not even about "disliking" it. Elex 2 is still a massive open world RPG with SOME interesting quests, its just it feels less like a Pirahnia Bytes game and more like a Ubisoft sandbox game. It only my opinion btw, that's an impression I got after about 25 hours and then i just dropped it and doubt I will get back to it ever again. Its also was very glitchy on start (no idea if they fixed all the bugs) and horrendous optimisation (couldn't get stable 60 fps on 3080).

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Very funny. That bit where he's trying to do a controlled experiment re. what impact Strength has on no. of hits (to demonstrate how the Abilities descriptions lie), and other creatures keep barging in, and the controller doesn't work - sooooo typical of the game :)

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Finally decided to play ELEX after all this time. While I'm immensely enjoying the experience, just because I have only played modern garbage rpgs for the past 5 fucking years.. sad..
I really don't like that this game relies so heavily on quest markers! WTF I thought Piranha Bytes were above this shit! I was here for the Euro Jank puritan experience, instead I'm getting garbage from the Witcher 3. AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
It's not even playable without the markers, like for the murder quest the guy just told me "They are out there" WHERE MOTHERFUCKER? TELL ME WHERE????? AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
Nobody tells you anything, fucking Jax is psychic cause he seems to always know!!!! Fuck! Fuck! What happened, I just skipped one game and they became this quest marker shit. It's all cause of Witcher 3 isn't it!

Anyway, rest of the game seems good.

Last edited:

razvedchiki

Erudite
you get a piece of paper with the murder suspects and their general vicinity, if you explore you may stumble on a couple on your own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom