Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite Dangerous - Yay or Nay?

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Most of those are positives.

Back to Minecraft you purple haired lemme decorate my virtual spaceship bedroom fag.

DraQ

Arcane
The best trick David Braben, Chris Roberts, and whoever's in charge of Egosoft ever pulled was convincing people that the games they're making these days have anything to with space.
They don't. In fact, everything about these games is specifically setup to make you hate space, and the entire romance of being a spaceship pilot. Those games are selling you the fantasy of being a FedEx employee.

That people actually, unironically argue about them and compare them to five star restaurants is just sad. It's hole-in-the-wall that sells you terrible, greasy food that doesn't even taste great, but you still eat it because it reminds you of childhood and better times.

Fuck Roberts, fuck Braben, but most importantly, fuck space game nerds who treat their """products""" as anything other than the slop it is.
I know a game about space.
:smug:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The best game about space was Hellion. It had serious vibes of 2010 - The Year We Make Contact. They just couldnt make it work because they had missed during crucial lessons on floating point variables.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
https://imgur.com/gallery/wY9Mzbl

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/nh72c5/odyssey_horizons_comparison_thread/

They even had to downgrade the shitty lifeless rocks. :lol:

e: It's not just planets oh my god what is happening

Before: https://i.imgur.com/8lCivFF.jpg
Now: https://i.imgur.com/DninBaZ.jpg

upload_2021-5-21_1-44-8.png

N3hNX7f.gif

m7zHMG4UoaplI4R3VQK_XPTsY41nIvyGgnWSXFzHVAp-YXeIiaGUqzxXX4SrAZHA2-kzmsc

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
wew lad. I knew this would probably end up bad, but I didn't expect them to destroy the basegame like that.
paradox vs frontier. who sucks more and why? discuss.
pdox may be leftist swedes and they may break their games with every new expansion/patch, but they don't charge you $40 for it.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Oh so it isn't even just the graphics, it's the terrain generation itself. Wow. They completely destroyed Horizons in order to turn the game into Mass Effect 1 without the story.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Okay, so I have a buddy that *insists* on me playing this game. Optionally with him.

Rate below if I should give in to peer pressure, and play this, after I am done with Solasta.
Don't listen to the haters. Even if you get bored eventually (and you will), you can have a few dozen hours of fun with it.

SoupNazi

Yeah, especially if you can play with said friend. It's worth the investment. Steam has me clocked in at just under 100 hours, which is a lot more than most games I bought at around 12€.

.Pixote.

Augur
It's the grind that kills the joy of this game. Grind this, grind that, all just to boost your ships capabilities, so you can grind more efficiently. The developers could fix this, but they want to squeeze your balls and crush your spirit, if they reduced the grind Elite Dangerous would amazing. It's worth playing for about 100 hours, any longer you will enter the world of mental disease.

giphy.gif

Mortmal

Arcane
It's the grind that kills the joy of this game. Grind this, grind that, all just to boost your ships capabilities, so you can grind more efficiently. The developers could fix this, but they want to squeeze your balls and crush your spirit, if they reduced the grind Elite Dangerous would amazing. It's worth playing for about 100 hours, any longer you will enter the world of mental disease.

giphy.gif
As far i can see the new expansion is ton of grinding too , a bit similar to the engineer update, loot every containers for rare materials following youtube coordinates, log off , loot rince and repeat and upgrades for every single modules... Now i read on steam reviews its on on every piece of ground equipment now.
What else to say , they cant design fun stuff , they cant design fun stuff ...They still frown upon emerging gameplay as well. I own the expansion i think on my lifetime pass, and so excited i have not tried yet.

downwardspiral

Learned
I felt this game would be better if it is a single player game with multiplayer server function.
So I can cheat and skip all the grinds and just see what ships and weapons they have to offer. And maybe play it for 5 hours then never play it again.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Works on Braben's machine
Dn2IzwV.png
At this point I'm 90% sure the entire industry just has this post templated and whips it out whenever something goes wrong. Its such an empty PR response.
"Yes we know we sold you a box of garbage but if you give us 2-3 years we promise the smell will eventually go away and you can enjoy your garbage in peace"
The icing on the cake is "it works for me I didn't see any bugs".

it's a very old excuse. i've seen it being used by journos two decades ago already. and as any excuse, it's a lie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom