Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Elminage Gothic (former Japan only dungeon crawler)

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes, and its just the beginning :D

Well, to be honest, captured Gaia floor boss mostly carried me trough the first half of Ibag's Tower.

Cyanide

Novice
My ninja is really helping me out thought, most enemies in the first five floors have little behead resistance and my ninja has a 37% behead rate.
As for a summoner, maybe I should create one, but grinding from Lv 1 again takes time.
Is there a way to grind more exp besides the church demons or the Greater Demons in the sanctum? I really want to speed things up....I still have 15 floors left to explore :(

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't think I had a better source then church demons. Then again, I did not grind much.

Cyanide

Novice
only requirement for the golden Axe is an "innocent" Fighter who has never class changed.

It's a two-handed axe weapon which means it can reach a maximum of 13 attacks-per-swing under Orath, while 1-handed weapons have a cap of 10 attacks-per-swing.

EDIT: L-range weapons are all capped to 10 attacks-per-swing, regardless of them being 2-handed. For balance reasons, obviously.

Each consecutive point of an Attribute adds an exponential increase to the output or modifier (such as raw damage for STR), so choose the race accordingly if that's what you want. Increasing attribute points skew non-linearly which means that 17 points in STR will give a higher boost from 16 points than 16 gave from 15; it's not a flat increase but rather exponential.

This means that an 18 INT alchemist is MUCH better than a 17 INT alchemist for success probability of landing spells like Rarood and stuff, it's not a flat increase. Each additional point builds upon the previous one; and a 19 INT alchemist will have even higher modifiers.

Anyway the reason I mention this is because there is no "best race", there is what you want to accomplish and the attribute ranges for each race. Personally I think Fighter should maximize HP growth so that means going with a race with good VITality, but that doesn't mean you should neglect the STR either. It also doesn't mean it's the "Correct" choice as some players might find they prefer bigger damage output from their Fighter because it can end the fight faster and kill the enemy before they act.
Where can I find that Golden Axe? sounds like a good weapon and I happen to have an innocent fighter

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Where can I find that Golden Axe? sounds like a good weapon and I happen to have an innocent fighter

Honestly can't remember right now the exact place/moment but it's definitely in the middle floors of Ibag's Tower. Check out the wiki if you want the exact floor/encounter: https://spoiler2-sakura-ne-jp.trans..._tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_sch=http#d00f27ed

Hmm, looking it up now seems they never completed the item drop tables for Ibag's Tower. I can guarantee you, tho, it's in the middle floors of that final dungeon. I remember getting it without looking for it, just can't remember if it was a specific "event" or if it was an encounter drop (trapped treasure chest).

Cyanide

Novice

Honestly can't remember right now the exact place/moment but it's definitely in the middle floors of Ibag's Tower. Check out the wiki if you want the exact floor/encounter: https://spoiler2-sakura-ne-jp.trans..._tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_sch=http#d00f27ed

Hmm, looking it up now seems they never completed the item drop tables for Ibag's Tower. I can guarantee you, tho, it's in the middle floors of that final dungeon. I remember getting it without looking for it, just can't remember if it was a specific "event" or if it was an encounter drop (trapped treasure chest).
I can't even make it through floor 8 will all those floor master walls that cancel my healing spells *sigh*, I guess this will take a while. Thanks, anyways ;)

Gunnar

Arbiter
Im playing this game again, here’s the blueprint-

i started most characters off as fighters to stack up some early hp.

Fighter - innocent, I'm going to change him into a Ninja with the medal for the post game. I made him werebeast to hopefully get some procs on pursuit with the hunter, but if i were to do it over id either make him dragonnewt for strength or make more werebeasts to proc pursuit more often.

Cleric/mage - gnome to piety max. i wanted a pure cleric so that heal spells and resurrections would be effective. His high AC and decent HP make him able to hang in the front row until i can replace him with a better damager. Important to have teleport spell on 2 characters in case one gets ashed.

Brawler - dragonnewt for strength.

Hunter/alchemist - hobbit. I rolled without a thief at first until i could grab all the alchemy spells. Important to have escape spell on 2 characters, but when i drop my pure alchemist this will be my only alchemist.

Mage/cleric - elf, i wanted a pure mage for the lower xp requirements, so he would have lots of levels to use with miracle spell that drains a level later on.

Alchemist/cleric - elf, strictly for forging and disassemble. Once i got mastery he goes on the bench, and i can make a new martial character to replace my cleric in the front row.

At this point the question is, samurai or valkyrie? I decided to go with samurai strictly for swallow return, so all 3 front liners could tank in post game: ninja and brawler with natural low ac and the samurai to swallow return attacks. I made him dragonnewt for strength.

For ex skills, pretty standard fare, brace on the brawler to help him survive his higher ac beginnings, stronghold, tackle and mysterious bag for convenience. I took level drain but i never use it (hopefully more useful in post game). Divination on the alchemist. Swallow killer for the samurai.

party has been pretty strong so far, 2 casters of each magic school. Fighter with double weapons does high single target damage, brawler is always good, i use high accuracy weapons on the cleric to max procs, and hunter with bows and pursuit for moderate damage. Samurai is behind in xp but i can farm greater demons at the time he shows up so its not a big deal.

i wasn’t aware that fighters cannot equip hermits knife, so i farmed the royal tomb for it and was disappointed i had to wait for the medal to get my ninja.

gman42

Scholar
Finally having a run at this game and really digging it so far. Couple of game mechanics questions just to help with some long-term class change planning:

--For an alchemist-->hunter class change, I know up to 9 spell casts/level will transfer over, but if I have fewer than 9 will they continue to rise as the hunter gains levels? Or will it be frozen after the class change?

--When using the hermit's knife to go thief-->ninja, does the character keep their exact same level upon transformation? Or is like they become a ninja with a level commensurate with the EP the thief had (meaning they'd lose a bunch of levels)? Just trying to weigh the pros and cons of waiting until late-ish in the game for this item to drop vs. a regular class change and paying $$$$ to train her up.

--I understand there's one opportunity to convert a character to devilish race, how does this affect their attributes? Like is there a fixed spread for that race, and do the character's current #s adjust up/down to reflect it? Or does everything stay the same and you just get the benefits of longer lifespan and wearing cursed stuff?

gman42

Scholar
I'm still in early game, on 2nd floor of Guatella Grotto right now. General question--I know it's a marathon not a sprint, but I'm a little surprised that so far I haven't even managed to find a single item that's any kind of upgrade over the starter weapons and leather armor that most of my party is rocking right now.

I'm not expecting anything earth-shattering, but at what point in the game should I expect to start finding stuff that's at least a tiny upgrade? I feel like even back in the Wiz1 days, by the time you were a couple of floors in, every expedition would turn up *something* that was an extra -1 AC or a better damage spread for one character, it really helped with the feeling of progress.

I even wound up taking the Find Treasure ex skill for one of my characters on a whim, so I'm maxing out the # of chests I can find, and at least giving the RNG as many chances as possible to throw cool stuff at me. So far hasn't helped.

Max Damage

Savant
The first few dungeons are like Wiz 1 1st and 2nd floors in terms of loot, in part because of how strong crafting is.

gman42

Scholar
The first few dungeons are like Wiz 1 1st and 2nd floors in terms of loot, in part because of how strong crafting is.
Good to know. I mean to this point I haven't even really fucked with crafting because while I haven't found anything amazing yet, the game also isn't exactly hard yet either, it's actually scaling pretty nicely to my level.

gman42

Scholar
Exploring the tree now. If I had one bone to pick with this game so far, it's that out of the 6 hidden doors I know of to this point, my thief (who's a luck-maxed Hotlet that's amazing at disarming traps, can't complain there) is literally 1-for-6 in "feeling tingly" or whatever to detect em, and the game isn't exactly putting them in intuitive spots, either. It's one thing if it's like hey, here's a long hallway leading to the middle of nowhere, hmm maybe I should search at the end of it. But so far they've all been like random side walls in the middle of nondescript areas. I don't feel bad that I've consulted the maps from the wiki to find em, because I wasn't about to start walking around and hitting F on every single square of a dungeon I've already mapped.

Is the controlling attribute for detecting secrets INT or something? If it is, that might be the problem because my Thief is dumb as hell right now.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
As far as I remember, characters with thief-related skills perform a check for switches and doors every square you map, so maybe do a few spins when you move occasionally, Illumination helps with this also

Clerics lvl 1/3 spells have a high detection but it is not 100%

gman42

Scholar
Yeah it's weird, I've also had Eroma running 24/7 since I got it, doesn't seem to help unless I'm just insanely unlucky so far. Manual only says that it helps find hidden traps, does it definitely do doors too? You'd think so, since that was half the point of Lomilwa or whatever in original Wiz.

Last edited:

gman42

Scholar
Still really enjoying this game, wish I had more time to sink into it. There's such a unique monkey-brain satisfaction getting back from a long expedition, leveling up, identifying gear and upgrading everybody, really makes me feel like I'm playing Wiz1 for the first time again. Just finished pretty much everything (minus floor bosses) in the first four dungeons and just unlocked the underground church and the ice caves (which I guess I should be doing first since it's two-skull difficulty and the church is three).

Another game mechanics question, as I'm getting close to doing some class shifting with my casters. Does this go by old Wiz mechanics where as soon as a character learns one lvl 7 spell, they can change class and will still go on to learn the rest? (And if so, will that happen right away with the first few new levels in the new class, or not until they get to 13+)?

Jason Liang

Arcane
Another game mechanics question, as I'm getting close to doing some class shifting with my casters. Does this go by old Wiz mechanics where as soon as a character learns one lvl 7 spell, they can change class and will still go on to learn the rest? (And if so, will that happen right away with the first few new levels in the new class, or not until they get to 13+)?
Yes.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
What is the better аnime blobber? Elminage Gothic or Grimoire?

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
I will not. Anyway Elminage Gothic sounds great if combat is good since that's what I want. I beat Grimoire multiple times and I'm looking for other newer blobbers.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
you should start with elminage original its not good as gothic but it is little bit easier and still great game

gman42

Scholar
How much does pure level affect trap disarming skills? Class changed my Hotlet thief to a ninja a little while back, and man am I missing that near-automatic disarming, she's setting off a ton right now (currently in Underground Church dungeon).

I did pay a relative shit ton at class change to get her EP up near everybody else's levels (she's lvl 15 while the rest of the party is 16-17), and did some modest savescumming to make sure her AGI and LUC got maxed out along the way, but it's still kinda painful. Can I expect steady improvement as she levels up? Or will traps keep scaling up at the same time so I'm screwed?

Dorarnae

Arbiter
thief have +thief skill and ninja is only thief skill, so they're not as good to disarm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom