Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Fixed some problems with my PS2 emulator, I think I've finally got it in working order and can really crank up the settings now. I took some pictures of Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song tonight and it's unbelievable how good this game looks with x4 resolution. These pictures aren't even at particularly high graphical settings, just a higher resolution.

700Nm42.jpg

a4rxCFa.jpg

mxnD20y.jpg

WQLZfGD.png

IbUChgO.png

F7xTkVb.jpg

HeBgi4T.jpg

Dude, how's the framerate on the game emulated? I loved the game itself, but playing it on my PS3 gives me massive frame rate drops especially in Estrana (Or whatever Jamil's town is)

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Dude, how's the framerate on the game emulated? I loved the game itself, but playing it on my PS3 gives me massive frame rate drops especially in Estrana (Or whatever Jamil's town is)
I'm getting 60 FPS. The only time it ever goes under 60 FPS is when I'm entering a new area and it has this overlay with the area's name on it, which only happens the first time you enter that area.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Has anyone bothered tinkering with the audio settings of PCSX2? I'm just curious if anyone's bothered to really tweak them and got any noticeable gains in audio quality and stability from it.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Fucking Google Play, man, why people won't release their free software as separate apks too.
:x

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Has anyone bothered tinkering with the audio settings of PCSX2? I'm just curious if anyone's bothered to really tweak them and got any noticeable gains in audio quality and stability from it.
The defaults are fine for me, the only change I made to it is to change the mixing mode to asynchronous.
I don't like what time stretch does to audio if the emulator goes too fast (turbo mode!) or too slow.

It has its own caveats though, it does produce some weirdness, but nothing game breaking I've encountered thus far.
Some games use the audio backend for their timers, so async mixing occasionally doubles as a functional frameskip.
Others like SMT use frame timers to start up segments of music, so a low/extreme framerate can mean you'll have either silence or potentially doubled up pieces playing.
And others like FFX-2, Dark Could, or Jak 2 which compose their music on the fly through a midi synthesizer will have a change of tempo to match.

And some games like FFX uses a combination of frame and audio timers. So the audio can get out of sync with what is shown, but I've only observed that in cutscenes.
It's a great idea for a playthrough, just to see what sort of hilarious shit goes wrong during cutscenes.
Nk5dlHV.jpg

amdus

Arbiter
Fucking Google Play, man, why people won't release their free software as separate apks too.
If you want i can upload the apks to mega.co.nz or somethig.
I'll be grateful to you, since accurate PSX emulation is something I'd like to see on my tablet.
Here you go:
XEBRA https://www.sendspace.com/file/9cg0ju sha1 checksum f8c977089dc938583c22957047d3d306578b8147
ARBEX https://www.sendspace.com/file/r81yv9 sha1 checksum d6808de4137f535849ae696ea6605de7efbc004b
Don't know how's the emulation speed, i've only tested the bios in XEBRA for now.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

If you want i can upload the apks to mega.co.nz or somethig.
I'll be grateful to you, since accurate PSX emulation is something I'd like to see on my tablet.
Here you go:
XEBRA https://www.sendspace.com/file/9cg0ju sha1 checksum f8c977089dc938583c22957047d3d306578b8147
ARBEX https://www.sendspace.com/file/r81yv9 sha1 checksum d6808de4137f535849ae696ea6605de7efbc004b
Don't know how's the emulation speed, i've only tested the bios in XEBRA for now.
Get two more brofists and all the tough love I can give to you, bro. :salute:

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The defaults are fine for me, the only change I made to it is to change the mixing mode to asynchronous.
I don't like what time stretch does to audio if the emulator goes too fast (turbo mode!) or too slow.

Always always async. You get weird speedups and slowdowns otherwise, which is usually fine for music but wrecks speech. I guess timestretch would work if you ran at a constant frame rate, but in that case you wouldn't need timestretch anyway.
You don't get those if you can maintain a constant 50/60 FPS and don't use the turbo mode feature.
I just infinitely prefer the weirdness of async mixing to that of time stretching (loopy effects and/or fast tempo vs a single sample stretched out really long and/or very discernible pitch changes), since it still sounds normal.

As I mentioned, some games use the audio to time things. Timestretch is useful for those as it keeps the timers accurate relative to the framerate, unless the timers were done because of framerate dips, in which case its counter productive.
Async could make those inaccurate and give you an advantage or really hurt you.
But most games just shove music in a buffer or give a midi synthesizer module instructions and don't give a fuck, and the buffer's big enough to not cause any popping if the framerate should fall below half.

amdus

Arbiter
I've found a new PlayStation emulator named "hpsx64" a.k.a. "Highly-Experimental Playstation Simulator for x64 based systems". Project is Open Source GPLv3 and focused on emulation accuracy http://sourceforge.net/projects/hpsx64/.
Anyone feels brave enough to test it? :roll: Compiled binaries are included in source code archive.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Any tips on Resident Evil 0. Once zombies show up the frame rate drops to like 20

RE ZERO report :

So it runs OK with the stable 4.0 version (x64) of Dolphin. Performance wise I needed to enable both the "Vbeam speed hack" and the "skip EFB access from CPU" to get those sweet 30fps during heavy gfx game instances (like the spider fight). With native internal res it might not need hacks at all, but I'm running it with 3xIntRes and 8xAF. D3D11 provides the best graphics and that's the one I'm using. D3D9 may be a bit faster and OpenGL a bit more accurate but their texture scaling sucks.

I've tried the newer builds (the 3-4 latest) and they all have better performance, but very bad stability with the game. They also have a RE related bug concerning the save states. When you load a savestate, the game's FPS drop down to half. People have reported that this is a recurring bug from older Dolphin versions and ever since some old 3.something version, only the 4.0 (x64) doesn't have it.

So far I'm liking it. Story/presentation is hilarious, I feel like I'm watching Darth Marenghi's Darkplace. Most of the comedy is unintentional, but whatever. The partner mechanic is interesting.

Ivan

Arcane
Fuck it man. If it's not the frame rate, it's the sound, the long ass loading after passing a door (hyperbole). Thanks for the tips anyway and I'm glad you're enjoying it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is there a good controller based front end for either or both of PCSX2 and Dolphin?

I gave mGalaxy a try, but it lacks a button to pause emulation and return the frontend as far as I can tell.

Libretro has spoiled me, using Steam big picture with it means I can do anything from the comfort of sitting down 10' away.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS FUCKED AROUNASDF AND GOT NAOMI ARCADE EMULATIJON GOING

WITH MY SHIT COMPUTER DEMUL RAN LIKE ASS ASD COULDNT GET NULLDC WORKING

MAKARON WORKS FUINE AND COOPERATES WITH MY FRONTEND

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It still needs work to lower CPU and GPU usage - it needs at least open gl 3.3. When it's ready probably project64 will bundle it as the main plugin, along with azimer's audio plugin, which was open sourced recently.

Unfortunately p64 is still windows only so mupen64 is still the goto n64 emulator here.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom