Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They're all locked down. It's not that it's impossible, or even just the relative speed of emulated processors making any functional emulator slower (doesn't help) just very difficult to test out code exploring the hardware behavior because the new consoles simply won't run non-signed code and certainly not at the low level required. Experienced console hardware makers lock down their consoles like a chastity belt and are very quick to abandon them if compromised (see PSP vs PSPVita which was probably rushed to market by the private key being deduced).

The end plan that they all want is something like PSNetwork for all games, where you play old games in new consoles, always locked down so the hardware itself can't be emulated so people can't not use their networking service.

It wouldn't surprise me if the ouya idea is the end result, it's obviously what they want and they're only going the route of crypto signing because of latency. It's essentially a workaround, their end plan dream is renting you the game frames, literally.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Considering the fact that console exclusives are slowly dieing, it also makes emulation less important.Look at how the'original Xbox is still not emulated and nobody cares.

deuxhero

Arcane

The 1.0 milemark is nothing really special. It's made steady advancement though the SVNs (I think), but the version number is purely arbitrary.

The only broken game I know of that has been truly fixed since .9 was adding a hack that makes Phantasy Star Portable (+2 and 2 Infinity) visible (hardly a perfect hack, very weird in the players room which works perfectly with it off, but definitily playable) though admitedly I don't test that many PSP games. Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble is STILL broken.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
how the'original Xbox is still not emulated and nobody cares.
IIRC it was not the low expectations (due small amount of games on it) but lost documentations and technical details. And just another proof that XboX is not PC bis to be easy to emulate.

Considering the fact that console exclusives are slowly dieing, it also makes emulation less important.Look at how the'original Xbox is still not emulated and nobody cares.

Yeah... but still PS3/X360 have more of valuable exclusives then post-2004 PC, there's much bigger demand for these games than for 1st Xbox ones.

Shittiest thing is that these consoles are still too pricey, at their age used & modded PS2/Xboxez were to be bought for like 20-30 bucks (at least here in Poland).

Gozma

Arcane
I haven't messed with PSX emulation in a really long time but has anyone ever managed to make an emulator/plugin that corrects the warping that happens with PSX polygons, especially when a camera is panning?

Edit - I started doing Googlin' before I hit post on this and got distracted by it until I accidentally found stuff like this:

So it's out there if you feel like playing a game without aneurysm vision (keyword: GTE accuracy hack)

now Vagrant Story just needs a gameplay hack and it can enter the Good Game pantheon

Last edited:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Wow, there seems to be way less polygon trembling, i didn't think it was possible...

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
If it don't work on Java - then I'm not worried.

PS.
Still didin't managed to run PoP Warrior Within on PCSX2. Found that there's PSP port with few locations more and luckly - it work. Also found that there's PPSSPP 1.0.1 already but not much changes.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
ALREIGHT BROS ANOTHER MILESTONER IN MY MAME MACHINE

FgL4rU8.jpg

Gozma

Arcane
If those joysticks break (they're Suzo Happs according to the website, and those have a bad reputation) replace them with IL sticks. They're still American-style parts but people say they're a lot better, and they have the same general size and shape so it will just be an unscrew-dropin-rescrew swap.

(Happ was the original company that made basically all american arcade parts, but they've been bought and sold a bunch and whoever has them now tries to cut costs too hard).

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
THANLS GOZMA BRO BECAUSE OF YOUR COMERENT I SPENT AN ADDERAL FUELED NIGHT RASEARCHING JOYSTICKS LEARNED ALOT AGAIN THAK YOU GOOD TO KNOW

WANT SOMETHING TPO SHOW CONTROLS BUT THE IN GAME CONTROL PANEL VINEWERS ARE UGLY AS FUCK AND SLOW AS FUCK

USING THE CONTEROL PANEL VIEWER TO SAVE IMAGES TO VIEW IN MALA SO MOSTLY THE CONTROLS ARE MAPPED RIGHT AUTOMATIICLALY IN A PNG FILE I JUST NEED TO CUSTOMIZE A FEW

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE FOR TYPICAL GAMES OBVIOUSLY TWIN STICK SHIT OR TRACKBALL STUFF IS DIFFERENT
ALSO CREDIT ONE AND TWO PLAYER START ETC IS ALREADY LABELLED ON THE CONTROLS SO NO NEED TO PUT IN AGAIN
ALSO JUST DOING A ONE PLAYER VIEW SO THE SHIT IS VERY READABLE BECAUSE I COULDNT MAKE THE MALA WINDOW AS BIG AS I WANTED
zEdTdvG.jpg

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Blobert if you use retroarch for emulation you should be able to to use the overlay feature to show the controls for each system.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Fixed some problems with my PS2 emulator, I think I've finally got it in working order and can really crank up the settings now. I took some pictures of Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song tonight and it's unbelievable how good this game looks with x4 resolution. These pictures aren't even at particularly high graphical settings, just a higher resolution.

700Nm42.jpg

a4rxCFa.jpg

mxnD20y.jpg

WQLZfGD.png

IbUChgO.png

F7xTkVb.jpg

HeBgi4T.jpg

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THANKS BUT THINK I CAN DO THAT WITH MALA RIGHT NOW

GETTING THE CONTROLS FOR EACH SYSTEM ISNT HARD

WHAT IS GOING TO TAKE TIME IS GETTING AN IMAGE FILE FOR EVERY MAME ROMS CONTROLS

BRO IF I AM MISSING SOMETHING LET ME KNOW

amdus

Arbiter
eric_s, to get rid of those grid lines you can try to set custom internal resolution to 1260x(any number). You can subtract any multiple of 60 from 1260 (eg, 1200, 1140, 1080, etc) as needed for performance, but no horizontal resolution greater than 1260 works. Vertical resolution has no effect on the black bars, so you can set this to any value you desire. In older GSdx versions, 1270 rather than 1260 works in the same manner. Don't use HW AA, as it might cause the problem even in "Native" resolution.
If above won't work then try to enable "Sprite" hack in GSdx.

Last edited:

amdus

Arbiter
Sorry for double posting, can't edit previous post.
Tested it right now and the only way to get rid of those grid lines in this game is by setting Texture Filternig to half state, so the filtering is only done on 3d objects. Looks like it's a standard bug in hardware rendering mode for games that use 2D overlays.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Sorry for double posting, can't edit previous post.
Tested it right now and the only way to get rid of those grid lines in this game is by setting Texture Filternig to half state, so the filtering is only done on 3d objects. Looks like it's a standard bug in hardware rendering mode for games that use 2D overlays.
Hey, this worked, thanks a lot dude.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom