Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Modron

Arcane
Don't think archive actually backed up any of those files, still having the actual names of them is handy for searching.

Edit: I got an error message and didn't wait long enough for the redirect to go through, they work.

Vorark

Erudite
The files themselves were cached too, at least Windows and Linux appimage.

Suicidal

Arcane
So why did Citra also get nuked? Same devs? Good thing I still have it on my PC and the updates they were making for it I found mostly worthless so I stopped downloading them ages ago.

Perkel

Arcane
So why did Citra also get nuked? Same devs?

Yes. They signed agreement to stop any developement of any nintendo emulator take down repos and so on.

Also from what I read they were idiots. Nintendo got to know that they were releasing patches for Yuzu before release of new games and they were hiding those patches behind paywall.

Basically 100% proof they were ripping games which is illegal in US (unlike EU)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Not sure Nintendo did themself any favor here, others will continue development a bit less openly and less easy to contact, so harder to control

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Not sure Nintendo did themself any favor here, others will continue development a bit less openly and less easy to contact, so harder to control

But without large monetary motive, how much are people gonna put effort on this?

And this will be a deterrent for any future emulation development for Nintendo console

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
here's some of the links I managed to get so far
this was most likely the last version of Yuzu released in their official page yesterday right before the site shut down
https://files.catbox.moe/j970o5.zip

if you guys don't trust catbox.moe for whatever reason, then here's some github links of a build a couple of days older (or you can pm me and I'll send last build)
https://github.com/pineappleEA/pineapple-src/releases/tag/EA-4176
https://github.com/Crimson-Hawk/suyu
https://github.com/Nikilites/nuzu

Citra Canary: https://web.archive.org/web/20240304191843/https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-canary/releases
Citra Nightly: https://web.archive.org/web/20240304191743/https://github.com/citra-emu/citra-nightly/releases
Citra online multiplayer: https://github.com/PabloMK7/citra/releases/tag/v2.1

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
But without large monetary motive, how much are people gonna put effort on this?

And this will be a deterrent for any future emulation development for Nintendo console

The same effort people put in to emulate the last 3 decades of Nintendo consoles, which is a lot. Also, no it won't be a deterrent for future Nintendo console emulation, most just won't be as brazen as opening a Patreon and talking about pirating games on the official Yuzu discord, the team behind the emu was just a bit too careless for their own good

Perkel

Arcane
At this rate there won't be any need to emulate anything as every game becomes multiplatform pretty much. Sony just recently gave and only Nintedo is last holdout.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
At this rate there won't be any need to emulate anything as every game becomes multiplatform pretty much. Sony just recently gave and only Nintedo is last holdout.

Nintendo gets a premium for their own games as long as they control the hardware, so they will try to hold as long as possible. Not sure how long they can though, consoles are pretty much dead.

Perkel

Arcane

Nintendo gets a premium for their own games as long as they control the hardware, so they will try to hold as long as possible. Not sure how long they can though, consoles are pretty much dead.

Nintendo has shareholders just like any other company. Those shareholders don't give a shit if company has hardware or not. If they will see that multiplatform titles make more money they will make them abandon hardware.

At least 20 years ago there was actual reason behind owning hardware as they would design and manufacture it along with chips but these days they are either way using either AMD or NVIDIA chip which means the premium on hardware is small.
The only argument is 30% cut from their digital store.

The point is that delta between 1000hardwaresales + 1000softwaresales = X and 100000softwaresales = Y starts to wash out and there will be a point where selling 150mil copies of new mario game will completely dwarf hardware + software sales. Moreover Nintendo problem doesn't lie with hardcore games but with phone games. Phones are the biggest competition to casual Nintendo games.

This is the reason why Nintendo started to develop or partner with phone companies. And just like that Pokemon Go became literally one of the most $$$ vernture for nintendo ever.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
At least 20 years ago there was actual reason behind owning hardware as they would design and manufacture it along with chips but these days they are either way using either AMD or NVIDIA chip which means the premium on hardware is small.
Ah, you misunderstood me, Nintendo hardcore fans will pay a premium for Nintendo games as long as they perceive them to be something special, which can only be done as a closed-gardem-system aka consoles with their exclusivity. Once Nintendo starts publishing their games on digital storefront for PC like the rest, their fans will realize these are just games like any others and then the market will erode their prices

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The point is that delta between 1000hardwaresales + 1000softwaresales = X and 100000softwaresales = Y starts to wash out and there will be a point where selling 150mil copies of new mario game will completely dwarf hardware + software sales.
Back when I was buying consoles they were being sold at a loss anyways. Nintendo usually has some cheaper hardware, and I'm sure the peripherals make a nice chunk of change, but i still doubt it's a significant incentive. Pretty sure Nintendo is staying afloat on brand recognition at this point; brainlet parents that can't be assed to research what they're spending hundreds of dollars on for their children still default to buying 'a nintendo' and probably don't even know other consoles exist. That coupled with all the DLC shit and stuff like Amibos and it's probably still a good deal for nintendo to keep their user base ignorant of PC gaming as a concept. The second that kid realizes steam has hundreds of games, and cheaper and better ones at that, they've basiclaly lost a customer. They need people that buy every nintendo developed game to go on the market.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, added mega.nz links in the OP list for following things (last builds available):

1) Citra (from archive.org - see above for links)
  • Windows nigthly-2104
  • Linux nigthly-2104
  • Windows canary-2798
  • Linux canary-2798
Skipped macOS and Android due to glorious PC master race.

2) Yuzu (from yuzu-mirror and pineappleEA)
  • Windows mainline-537296095
  • Linux mainline-537296095
  • Windows EA-4176
  • Linux EA-4176
That is all. :obviously:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Thinking a bit...
The point is that delta between 1000hardwaresales + 1000softwaresales = X and 100000softwaresales = Y starts to wash out and there will be a point where selling 150mil copies of new mario game will completely dwarf hardware + software sales.
Back when I was buying consoles they were being sold at a loss anyways. Nintendo usually has some cheaper hardware, and I'm sure the peripherals make a nice chunk of change, but i still doubt it's a significant incentive. Pretty sure Nintendo is staying afloat on brand recognition at this point; brainlet parents that can't be assed to research what they're spending hundreds of dollars on for their children still default to buying 'a nintendo' and probably don't even know other consoles exist. That coupled with all the DLC shit and stuff like Amibos and it's probably still a good deal for nintendo to keep their user base ignorant of PC gaming as a concept. The second that kid realizes steam has hundreds of games, and cheaper and better ones at that, they've basiclaly lost a customer. They need people that buy every nintendo developed game to go on the market.
Yeah thinking a bit, even if in this moment Nintendo looks like the winner, in the long term, if somenthing radically new won't appear on the horizon, its future is less rose-tinted that the emulation one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom