Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

Terenty

Liturgist
Read a russian review, his summary:

1)The game is very easy, that renders a lot of the skills, perks, etc obsolete

2)There's a lot of ways to solve a problem which is cool, but he complains that it means any build can solve any quest

3)The world is filled with boxes full of junk

4) Enemies drop random loot, even if you kill some tough baddie they can drop a pack of sigs.

5)There are no epic quests that thread the game i.e. quests are rather small

6)No day night cycle, npcs glued to their places forever

7)Obvious indie production

He concluded by saying he enjoyed the game overall, but it needed someone like Sawyer to make it perfect, so take from it what you want.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
He concluded by saying he enjoyed the game overall, but it needed someone like Sawyer to make it perfect, so take from it what you want.

11603523.jpg

Sykar

Arcane

Did he say what difficulty setting he was playing on?
He played on the hardest and said it was piss easy and the combat is brain dead

Link to the review
https://www.goha.ru/obzor-encased-otechestvennaya-rpg-ot-kotoroj-tyazhelo-otorvatsya-dQrKrA

Not very useful for people without knowledge of the Russian language. As to difficulty, that is a rather vague statement. Was it easy because of enconter design or did he utilize cheese to exploit the AI a little too much?

Jinn

Arcane

Terrible news. Guess I'll wait and get the codex opinion on combat before I play my first two hours...

So the same as Fallout basically, harder at the beginning, cakewalk at the end.

From the sounds of that review (ran it through the translator) it's that way from beginning to end. Remember they did some major balancing changes in the past few months.

Terenty

Liturgist

Link to the review
https://www.goha.ru/obzor-encased-otechestvennaya-rpg-ot-kotoroj-tyazhelo-otorvatsya-dQrKrA

Not very useful for people without knowledge of the Russian language. As to difficulty, that is a rather vague statement. Was it easy because of enconter design or did he utilize cheese to exploit the AI a little too much?
I quote:

"The combat is boring. First of all it's very simple just move and shoot, there's no cover, no stances, not a lot of buffs/debuffs. Just eat some chems beforehand and you are good to go. There's no balance in the game and the combat suffers from it the most, even playing on the hardest difficulty was a cakewalk with no need for any special attacks. Chances of stunning or slowing down the enemy are very low so simply shooting is the preferable strategy most of the time. If they gather in one spot throw a grenade, that's it."

Sykar

Arcane

Terrible news. Guess I'll wait and get the codex opinion on combat before I play my first two hours...

So the same as Fallout basically, harder at the beginning, cakewalk at the end.

From the sounds of that review (ran it through the translator) it's that way from beginning to end. Remember they did some major balancing changes in the past few months.

Strictly speaking the combat in Fallout was never hard. The beginning is tough only due to low hit chances unless you start with tagged melee weapons, unarmed or small guns. Its only saving grace are the death animations though they do start to get repetive halfway through when you have seen most for your chosen weapon type. Combat was always Fallouts weakest point and it is among the worst of the top RPGs in history. Worse than Planescape Torment in fact which also garnered a lot of criticism for its combat.

Link to the review

I quote:

"The combat is boring. First of all it's very simple just move and shoot, there's no cover, no stances, not a lot of buffs/debuffs. Just eat some chems beforehand and you are good to go. There's no balance in the game and the combat suffers from it the most, even playing on the hardest difficulty was a cakewalk with no need for any special attacks. Chances of stunning or slowing down the enemy are very low so simply shooting is the preferable strategy most of the time. If they gather in one spot throw a grenade, that's it."

Again just very vague. No mention of the build he was using and is that build strong or weak relatively speaking, how was the encounter design, etc. Not particularly useful comment all in all but then again 99% of people reviewing games cannot give actually useful information so it is whatever.

Last edited:

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Back in December 17 2019 I received a code to unlock the Run and Gun Kit DLC because I'm a kickstarter backer. However today I received an email with an attached file to extract into the DLC folder with the kickstarter backer exclusive artefact. Are they different things?

e: You can choose Neanderthal as a trait and one of the portraits available looks like Swen Vincke.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Some of the perk/trait descriptions like Amplifier are a little unclear. It first says 5 psionic damage, then specifies companions get +5 psionic damage. Same with the trait Dark Lord which I just checked out, where it first says -20% learnability, then that you get 20% extra damage per companion, then -20% learnability for companions. The first -20% learnability did not appear after starting in the elevator so it seems like that first instance of a number does not mean that you get it. I am just wondering why they put it there at all without any specification.

There seems to be an interesting combo of Vampire trait and the perk that increases damage after being stunned though maybe not for the faint of heart and probably needs a good defensive setup.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Again, I told you 1000000 times, broes. Steam babies (and SJWs) are reason #1 for decline. Numerous highly promising, interesting and hardcore RPGs in past few years have been HEAVILY NERFED by Devs, because of cries of Steam babies. Encased is such example, First Prologue was MAGNIFICIENT, on par with Arcanum, then Steam babies CWIED and Devs completely changed it. And by completely I mean it"s unrecognisable

Most modern games have:
>reddit/zoomer zany "tumor-humour"
>Fortnite inspired estetics
>SJW (AT LEAST friendly) narrative
>easy as fuck gameplay, only death:harakiri

Let's face it, modern society is crumbling. Why would games be good?

Sykar

Arcane
You are aware that none of those people are here and you are just yelling into an echo chamber, right?

Back to the game, I just consulted the Fallout 1 experience table since from what I remember they use that experience formula for their levels. Try as I might I cannot find a justification for the "Prodigy" trait outside of roleplaying, at best. While there is a minor advantage early levels it quickly spirals out of control in favor of the "non Prodigy" character. To put it succintly, endgame when the "normal" character sits at 210k experience and rached level 21 the "Prodigy" sits at 105k experience and level 15. You can slice it and dice it however you want but you are worse at everything except maybe getting that level 15 perk for 100% crit chance in the first round. Otherwise you have far less HP, skill points and lost 3 perks. All for what 4 brains and access to a great talent which you won't see until endgame.

Sykar

Arcane
Now I see why this game is easy. The Classic difficulty STILL gives you hidden bonuses like increasing your and your companions hit chance by 20% each time they miss, enemies dealing 25% less damage and have 10% less accuracy and you and your companions also have 25% more health.
Only the Tactics difficulty removes all hidden bonuses and mali. In other words Tactics is normal difficulty, the rest are variants of easy to piss easy difficulty.
This would not be so grating if the Classic one did not proclaim that it is a "Challenging mode" for those who have being playing RPGs for a long time and love challenges.
At least you can check the details what each difficulty entails so they are transparent.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet

Link to the review

Probably went in full stealth and cheesed it.

Then again, combat was never a main focus for me in Encased.

vibehunter

Learned
Again, I told you 1000000 times, broes. Steam babies (and SJWs) are reason #1 for decline. Numerous highly promising, interesting and hardcore RPGs in past few years have been HEAVILY NERFED by Devs, because of cries of Steam babies. Encased is such example, First Prologue was MAGNIFICIENT, on par with Arcanum, then Steam babies CWIED and Devs completely changed it. And by completely I mean it"s unrecognisable

Most modern games have:
>reddit/zoomer zany "tumor-humour"
>Fortnite inspired estetics
>SJW (AT LEAST friendly) narrative
>easy as fuck gameplay, only death:harakiri

Let's face it, modern society is crumbling. Why would games be good?

Well, real Fortnite faggots and zoomers suffer an anuerysm when they see an isometric viewpoint in a game.

But yeah, can't say I disagree about RPGs being nerfed.

Sykar

Arcane
I have little to no knowledge about Fortnite apart of it being some kind of co-op shooter game? What is so bad about it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom