Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

vibehunter

Learned
I have little to no knowledge about Fortnite apart of it being some kind of co-op shooter game? What is so bad about it?

It's just an extremely popular battle royale game. I don't actually hate it; it's just the game people use to symbolize the modern-day "casual" or "normie" player.

Sykar

Arcane
Classic difficulty is even easier in the release version:
At Deaths door status has no countdown (so cannot die basically)
Enemies deal 30% less damage
Your group has 25% more health
Each miss increases your and your companions next attack by 30%

Seriously? And this is for "hardcore RPG players"? :lol:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Veteran is even easier in the release version:
At Deaths door status has no countdown, so cannot die

Is this a translation good up? Sounds like the antithesis of a veteran player.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Classic difficulty is even easier in the release version:
At Deaths door status has no countdown (so cannot die basically)

Well, for your average Steam user, being owned by a pack of 3 rats in the Picnic basement, they can say at least i played on veteran, thats why

Sykar

Arcane

They actually wrote "Classic" but the description basically boils down to "for hardcore veteran RPG players with lots of experience". I am not even going to bother to mention the huge chunks of bonuses you get on the other two difficulties, it is bananas. The easiest one fills up an entire A4 sheet. :lol:

I made a screencap of the lowest diffuclty details:

I mean how can you even consider playing this... "difficulty". Can you even describe this as "difficulty"?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

They actually wrote "Classic" but the description basically boils down to "for hardcore veteran RPG players with lots of experience". I am not even going to bother to mention the huge chunks of bonuses you get on the other two difficulties, it is bananas. The easiest one fills up an entire A4 sheet. :lol:

I mean how can you even consider playing this... "difficulty". Can you even describe this as "difficulty"?
Any journos that complain this still being too hard yet?

Sykar

Arcane
Slacker is a decent trait. You can start with 2 perks right off the bat though you suffer a -3 penalty to skill points per level which you can compensate for via "Observant" perk at level 3. Not too bad of a trait off, skill points for 2 perks at level 1.
They changed the bossy trait, now you suffer a loss of -25 encumberance and -5 precision instead of maximumAP/AP/starting AP. The +2 Influence, renamed Charm into that, is one of the few stat boosts you can get.
Prodigy remains shit, avoid like the plague. Well maybe there is a stat/perk combination that can make good use of it but if there is one I could not think of one as of yet.
Can you even describe this as "difficulty"?
Well yes. The difficulty is in claiming to posses any dignity after playing in this mode.

They should have named it "Brain dead" instead of story mode. Even reading a novel is more taxing than this... "difficulty". :lol:

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Then again, combat was never a main focus for me in Encased.

I certainly don't need the combat to be the focus, but it would be nice if it at least provided some tension and resource management. The fact that they've nerfed it to the point where whole skill subsets are rendered completely unnecessary and obsolete is where I take most of my issue. Then you're not just fucking with minute-to-minute in-combat gameplay, but overarching character progession and its subsequent satisfaction as a whole.

Just too bad they went this route, particularly when they have four whole difficulty setting. Why make the highest difficulty so easy? Casual buffer I suppose.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
The perk "Roaring good health" is now available at level 1 and gives +50 HP. This makes the "Slacker" trait even more powerful. 50 HP right of the bat? Very good choice and a decent trait off for the reduced skill points per level.
You can also get "Loner" from the get go and enjoy a 75% experience increase at the expense of having a party, also a good trait off.

Edit: Ha, you can become the Fist of the Northstar with Hand to Hand skills, the top ability at 150 is labeled "You are already dead" and deals 500 pure damage after 3 rounds. :lol:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Then again, combat was never a main focus for me in Encased.

I certainly don't need the combat to be the focus, but it would be nice if it at least provided some tension and resource management. The fact that they've nerfed it to the point where whole skill subsets are rendered completely unnecessary and obsolete is where I take most of my issue. Then you're not just fucking with minute-to-minute in-combat gameplay, but overarching character profession and its subsequent satisfaction as a whole.

Just too bad they went this route, particularly when they have four whole difficulty setting. Why make the highest difficulty so easy? Casual buffer I suppose.

Combat not being a focus should ideally mean it's usually avoidable and there's few encounters, but the ones that exist are a challenge so it's worth getting into them.

Making shit easy is just boring.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Edit: Ha, you can become the Fist of the Northstar with Hand to Hand skills, the top ability at 150 is labeled "You are already dead" and deals 500 pure damage after 3 rounds. :lol:
It's like they WANT you to break the game and break it ruthlessly.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, sadly unless there is a big secret difficulty overhaul released at the last minute, it'll have to be a refund for me. So much potential here, but you can't just throw gameplay out the window and turn the whole game into storymode to appease a few early access whiners.

Also makes me wonder how much of this mark was left by the old Pope Amole. Would he really go this far with it?

Sykar

Arcane
Here is a nice basic build idea, get your main stat to 10, leave the rest at 5, take "Slacker", get "Renessaince Man" perk at level 1 and boom, 11 in your main stat and 6 in the rest, and also +1 attribute from your wing which can potentially lead to 12 in a stat if you started with the boosted wing stat at 10, leaving loads of build paths.

It is, probably, not as OP as a super duper min maxed build but it sure is flexible.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet

This is journo/average steamtard "i am a long time hard core rpg player since ye olde amiga days BUT i dont have time to learn/adapt any more, but still want to pwn" review difficulty.

Sykar

Arcane
Oh my, a lot of dialogue is narrated fully voiced. The narrator seems fine so far though as a non-native speaker I am not sure I can properly gauge whether he is good or not. Still at least he is not annoying.
Oh women get a female voice once the narration is over and the actual dialogue comes up.

Last edited:

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Here is a nice basic build idea, get your main stat to 10, leave the rest at 5, take "Slacker", get "Renessaince Man" perk at level 1 and boom, 11 in your main stat and 6 in the rest, and also +1 attribute from your wing which can potentially lead to 12 in a stat if you started with the boosted wing stat at 10, leaving loads of build paths.

It is, probably, not as OP as a super duper min maxed build but it sure is flexible.

Take Silver Wing (+2 skill points at start, +1 cha)
Bossy trait (it used to give +2 cha / - 1 AP, dunno now)
Adjust all skills to 6
Perks at start are observant/renaissance man/loner and on lvl 15 intensive training. That puts you with 8 in all stats, lots of skill points, and with chems/items you can boost your stats as needed for stat/skill checks

Sykar

Arcane
The perk "High Tech Enthusiast" does NOT grant yourself 30 skill points to high tech weapons. Just in case some people are wondering. Testing out some stuff via Slacker trait atm.

Take Silver Wing (+2 skill points at start, +1 cha)
Bossy trait (it used to give +2 cha / - 1 AP, dunno now)
Adjust all skills to 6
Perks at start are observant/renaissance man/loner and on lvl 15 intensive training. That puts you with 8 in all stats, lots of skill points, and with chems/items you can boost your stats as needed for stat/skill checks

I want a party so no Loner for me. Yeah I thought of Silver Wing but Orange just entices me more, as does White and Blue. Silver is second last only Black is less interesting to me.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
How is the game bros ? I want to play it but i think of finishing pissfinder first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom