Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

J1M

Arcane
With apologies in advance for the stupid question, what does the Steam LGBTQ themed sale has to do with the discussion?
He's pointing out that blatant homophobes would rather use Steam with an LGBTQ themed sale than use Epic's featureless tencent store.
Powerful.

Seems like a plus on Steam's part. They provided a list of homo games for you to put on ignore.
Pretty embarrassing if you log in to the sale page and don't see most of those on ignore already...

Maybe I should make a rainbow game. The bar seems pretty low.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
With apologies in advance for the stupid question, what does the Steam LGBTQ themed sale has to do with the discussion?
He's pointing out that blatant homophobes would rather use Steam with an LGBTQ themed sale than use Epic's featureless tencent store.
Powerful.

Still trying to make it about "muh features" after you clearly admitted that people would rather pirate than buy on anything that's not Steam.

Hard to let go of Gaben's dick from your mouth.

Reinhardt

Arcane
biteapede.png
I heard Kindred Spirits is ok vn. Everything else in this list is just low effort gaijin garbage i woldn't touch even for free. Epic store material.

Perkel

Arcane
"While you bear all the costs."

Today I learned from Tim Sweeney that retailers and storefronts have no operating costs.

Explain why everyone despite having ridiculously different models of operation have the same cut.
The answer: You can't.

30% cut made sense when physical stores asked for ~50%.
Since they are going way of dodo now 30% if new standard and competition looks for upseting that standard.

Perkel

Arcane
operating on tencent/fortnite bux, payouts for exclusives, operating at a loss, leaking and selling userdata and not having a shopping cart?

I know capitalism thing is awesome. Company reinvests profits from one thing into another hoping they will succeed. Good goy fight for multibilion $ companies for their right to get 30% instead of less.

Also it is kind of hilarious that physical stores run now 30% cut despite hiring shitload of people, care for distribution, marketing and 1000 other things while digital stores have none of that and yet cut 30% too.

And the shopping cart argument is the best. In era of digital goods and 1click purchases you apparently need shopping cart.

Reinhardt

Arcane
And the shopping cart argument is the best. In era of digital goods and 1click purchases you apparently need shopping cart.
You mean in era of billion cheap pajeet coders multibillion corporation doesn't care to even implement simple qol feature?

You can hire million pajeets to add purchases to cart by hand and still get profits, but epic is too cheap for it.

Perkel

Arcane
You mean in era of billion cheap pajeet coders multibillion corporation doesn't care to even implement simple qol feature ? You can hire million pajeets to add purchases to cart by hand and still get profits, but epic is too cheap for it.

1click buy is QOL feature. Adding another screen to my purchase is anti-thesis of QOL.

Considering people like you they should also make queues for digital world. Or even better pay 1€ for privileged os using shopping cart and those shopping carts should be finite for full immershiun.

Oh wait there were some idiots like that in the world. I found right company for you to hang with:

9BoXDXxPaN6DqsgRn5d6uM-1024-80.jpg

Reinhardt

Arcane
Nigga, i was born in USSR and saw this shit in my childhood. You go to shop in one of the rare days they sell meat(in the middle of the night, because there is already lots of people waiting for opening), stand in line for few hours, get your 1,5kg meat allowed for one person and go to the end of the line to stand again for a chance to buy another 1,5 kg. And all your family in same line for more chances.

So fuck off with your propaganda.

Perkel

Arcane
Nigga, i was born in USSR and saw this shit in my childhood. You go to shop in one of the rare days they sell meat(in the middle of the night, because there is already lots of people waiting for opening), stand in line for few hours, get your 1,5kg meat allowed for one person and go to the end of the line to stand again for a chance to buy another 1,5 kg. And all your family in same line for more chances.

So fuck off with your propaganda.

Was born in communism but didn't really "live" in it.

My father loves though to joke how he was going to buy toilet paper and had to bring plums to change for meat which then was changed to chocholate which then gave you ability to buy toilet paper from your neighbours since they were working in factory that stocked toilet paper non stop.

Like fallout but in real life but without bottlecaps.

racofer

Thread Incliner

Teenage Fortnite player continued to cheat, even after being sued by Epic Games

3cJqJA3.png

In late September, Fortnite developer Epic Games settled a lawsuit against a minor accused of cheating (and teaching people to cheat) in Fortnite. But another case against another teenager, Caleb “Sky Orbit” Rogers, remains in North Carolina courts with a similar charge — breach of contract and copyright infringement.

Last week, Epic filed court documents urging the judge to appoint the boy’s mother as a legal guardian for the case, a step necessary in moving the process along. “Defendant has ignored the appropriate orders of this Court,” Epic alleged in the documents, as spotted by Torrent Freak. “It is now appropriate for his mother or another adult to be appointed to officially represent him so that his interests can be protected and this matter can move forward.”

Epic also said that Rogers “mocked the power of this Court” by continuing to cheat on Fortnite — and post videos of himself cheating. (Cheating isn’t necessarily the problem in this case, though Epic surely doesn’t like it. It’s that Rogers posted videos of himself cheating and showing others how to do it, too. Epic is arguing copyright infringement.) The developer referenced a video from Dec. 13 titled “You guys can eat my ass once again,” in which he “taunted Epic.”

In November 2017, Rogers’ mother sent a letter to the court to ask the judge to dismiss the case against her son, citing that Epic did not “legally bind underage users” to its EULA, since Fortnite is a free game.

Epic said in its new court documents that Rogers reportedly discussed his mother’s letter in a different video — now unavailable — saying that she “knew it all” regarding the case, so the family didn’t have to spend money on a lawyer. Epic said these comments are proof that they are deliberately ignoring the courts’ requests.

“His continued cheating, the foregoing and other public statements, and his open taunting of Epic all demonstrate that he thinks he is beyond the reach of this Court and is free to continue his unlawful conduct without consequence,” Epic wrote.

Polygon has reached out to Epic Games for more information.

Epic gaming, epic consequences!

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The developer referenced a video from Dec. 13 titled “You guys can eat my ass once again,”
Haha. I wonder how many times the court reporter ended up typing that.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Gaming is such a serious business that we have to drag cheaters in court!

Dafuq is this shit?

If you think someone isn't playing fair just don't invite him to play FFS. Even kids know this.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yes because the others in the match with him totally have a choice in an automated matchmaking system, amirite
I meant Epic, don't be daft.

They can ban someone, temporarily or permanently, instead of going to fucking court. But maybe they didn't develop the feature yet?

Sentinel

Arcane
Yes because the others in the match with him totally have a choice in an automated matchmaking system, amirite

They can ban someone, temporarily or permanently, instead of going to fucking court. But maybe they didn't develop the feature yet?
Yes, they can ban a player in a free to play game. Very effective. I see you're an expert.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

Yes, they can ban a player in a free to play game. Very effective. I see you're an expert.
If your 12 year old son downloads an aimbot there are grounds to sue him in a civil court case.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron

It's tied to an Epic account. They can ban it. They can IP ban. And if he uses a VPN and creates many accounts, they'll just have to hunt him down again, learn to identify him. Eventually he'll tire out. Whatever.

But you don't go trying to fix a very minor offense by making a bigger one yourself, in this case dragging a kid to court.

Sentinel

Arcane

It's tied to an Epic account. They can ban it. They can IP ban. And if he uses a VPN and creates many accounts, they'll just have to hunt him down again, learn to identify him. Eventually he'll tire out. Whatever.

But you don't go trying to fix a very minor offense by making a bigger one yourself, in this case dragging a kid to court.
You're very naive if you think hackers will "eventually tire out", especially in free to play games. These are, 80% of the times, mentally ill people with about 10 smurfs on average. Even linking your account to your phone number isn't a very effective way, because these people go to the lengths of getting different burner phones just to keep hacking.
If these people are hurting your customers and by extension your business, you should have every right to legally pursue the matter. If they're "just a kid", then don't worry, no court will throw them in jail for it. Every civilized country has legislation for minor offenders.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom