Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

JBro

Arbiter
The thing I take away from that article is that now that game dev/publishers finally have a stable (but monopolized) platform to release PC games from, they've gotten greedier than ever and want moar.

Of course. Everyone thought publishers were the big bad guy, but it turns out developers aren't better. In many ways they're worse, because how many times have you seen some subhuman like Rami Ismail try to convince people that Steam is the bad guy? Meanwhile, he wears his contempt for all of us on his sleeve. Fuck developers. I hope they never get unions.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The thing I take away from that article is that now that game dev/publishers finally have a stable (but monopolized) platform to release PC games from, they've gotten greedier than ever and want moar.

Of course. Everyone thought publishers were the big bad guy, but it turns out developers aren't better. In many ways they're worse, because how many times have you seen some subhuman like Rami Ismail try to convince people that Steam is the bad guy? Meanwhile, he wears his contempt for all of us on his sleeve. Fuck developers. I hope they never get unions.

Sadly, it's rare for people to keep their principles intact when money is on offer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/surviving-the-aftermath/valve-epic

Paradox won’t pick sides between Valve and Epic, and considers both to be great partners
Surviving_the_Aftermath-meteor-580x334.jpg

Paradox Interactive’s grand strategy games have been mainstays on Valve’s Steam storefront for many years. But the company has formed a partnership with the new kid on the block, the Epic Games store, offering Surviving the Aftermath‘s early access version exclusively through Epic’s storefront. From Paradox’s perspective, it’s a matter of the more, the merrier.

Speaking to us at PDXCon, Paradox CEO Ebba Ljungerud said Epic has been great to work with.

“[Epic is] really good to work with,” she said. “They’re very open and attentive. They’re a partner – as is Steam. So it’s been great so far working with them.”

Both Ljungerud and Paradox chief business development officers Shams Jorjani agreed that having more options in the gaming space means better options for both players and developers.

“Probably the best thing to happen to PC gaming in the past 15 years is Valve, hands down,” Jorjani said. “They’re our most important partner and we have a great working relationship with them, but that doesn’t change the fact that, the more things that happen in the industry, the better.”

“Having an ecosystem that is alive and well and moving about is great for everyone,” Jorjani continued. “There’s more technology and engines and platforms to build stuff on and get it out, but that equally makes it incredibly hard to succeed. And if you have only one storefront on one platform, that makes it really hard for a bunch of developers.”

As Jorjani sees it, massive hits like PUBG, Fortnite, and Pokemon Go are all great news, even for a company whose specialty has been relatively niche historical strategy games.

“More people in this space is a force of good,” he said. “It just brings in a ton of more people into gaming, and that’s good for everyone.”

Surviving the Aftermath will be available in early access later today on the Epic Games store.

Squid

Arbiter
Paradox won’t pick sides between Valve and Epic, and considers both to be great partners
But the company has formed a partnership with the new kid on the block, the Epic Games store, offering Surviving the Aftermath‘s early access version exclusively through Epic’s storefront. From Paradox’s perspective, it’s a matter of the more, the merrier.
BETRAYAL!!!! :argh::argh::argh: RAGE!!! :argh::argh::argh: I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT SURVIVING THE AFTERMATH IS!!! :argh::argh::argh:

ZVERMIX

Learned
Patron
Insert Title Here My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
But the company has formed a partnership with the new kid on the block, the Epic Games store, offering Surviving the Aftermath‘s early access version exclusively through Epic’s storefront. From Paradox’s perspective, it’s a matter of the more, the merrier.
BETRAYAL!!!! :argh::argh::argh: RAGE!!! :argh::argh::argh: I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT SURVIVING THE AFTERMATH IS!!! :argh::argh::argh:
:betrayed:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/satisfactory/epic

Satisfactory dev says Epic is “trying to make it better” for indie studios
Satisfactory-580x334.jpg

Earlier this year, Coffee Stain Studio announced that open-world factory-building game Satisfactory would be an Epic Games store exclusive. Like many studios that have made a similar decision, the team came under some fire for the choice. Believing the nay-sayers to be only a small part of the player-base, Coffee Stain Studio explain some of the benefits of taking the deal.

On becoming an Epic exclusive, Nathalie Verwei, UI/ UX designer at Coffee Stain Studios, says that doing so took a lot of financial worry off the developer’s shoulders. “I think as an indie studio it’s nice to have that security that you know that your game is going to get out there and you don’t need to worry about making certain financial deadlines,” she told us. “You can just focus on making a good game. Of course, we had some backlash but I think it’s a loud minority.”

She goes on to say that what Epic is offering is something that allows more studios to make better games. “I think it’s a good thing that Epic is trying to do,” explains Verwei. “Of course, the users will only see the end of, ‘oh, it’s another launcher, it’s another store’ but Epic is trying to do something for game developers to make it better for them so we can deliver better quality of products, basically.”

Since launching in December 2018, the Epic Games store has been the target of ire from a subset of players that believe the marketplace is somehow hurting their consumer rights. Announcements of exclusivity have been met with hostility, developers often getting harassed as a result.

Many developers before Coffee Stain have been vocal about the value of the investment Epic offers. Games can be delivered sooner, and of better quality, giving the studios more breathing room around launch to make the titles the best they can be. Being on the Epic store hasn’t slowed Satisfactory’s sales down any, at the very least.

Satisfactory is available in early access on the Epic Games store now.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/wolfenstein-youngblood/epic-store

Wolfenstein devs believe Epic and Steam competition is “good for the industry”
wolfenstein-2-the-new-colossus_rs5w-580x334.jpg

The digital storefront war continues to rage, with multiple clients now probably installed on most people’s PCs. These digital storefronts include heavy-hitters such as GOG Galaxy, EA’s Origin, and Ubisoft’s Uplay all the way to publisher-only stuff like Bethesda.net and Rockstar Game Launcher – however, of course the biggest deal is the current rivalry between Steam and the Epic Games Store.

Now MachineGames – the developer of the Wolfenstein series for Bethesda since Wolfenstein: The New Order – has weighed in on the abundance of digital stores and the competition between Epic and Steam. We spoke to Kristoffer Kindh, senior level designer at MachineGames, who told us “competition is good for the industry. It’s good for everybody, because competition just makes us be better.”

Kindh added that “certain people don’t really appreciate it,” having this competition and these multiple storefronts. “They just want to have Steam because that’s what they’re used to. For myself it doesn’t really bother me that much at all, it’s just another store for me. I just have to remember all the passwords!”

The designer believes that this isn’t a new thing, and that it’s normal based on how many games there are these days. “The game market gets bigger, with more games getting released every day. My personal opinion is that it’s a natural growth, compared to how much game development is actually happening. ”

At the moment there are no Wolfenstein games on Epic Games Store – although that may happen in the future. Bethesda has its own storefront, where games such as Rage 2 and Fallout 76 were supposed to be exclusive on PC – but eventually went to Steam, and now Bethesda has seemingly given up on storefront exclusivity, at least towards its own client.

As for the Wolfenstein series itself, the series’ first co-op title Wolfenstein: Youngblood released earlier this year – and Wolfenstein 3 is “absolutely” is development, according to Bethesda’s Pete Hines.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Speaking of epic,it seems that fortnight hype is dying out. Most of their games are filled with bots. My nephew and his friend are constantly annoyed that it is filled with mindless bots,and think of dropping the game.

I am curious at how much more money they could burn on exclusive flops before they burn out.

Fishy

Savant
My nephew and his friend are constantly annoyed that it is filled with mindless bots,and think of dropping the game.

I'd take this one with caution. See World of Warcraft for how "I can quit when I want!" tends to work out with single-game gamers. All Epic have to do is launch some equivalent of a wow expansion and they'll all be back.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
My nephew and his friend are constantly annoyed that it is filled with mindless bots,and think of dropping the game.

I'd take this one with caution. See World of Warcraft for how "I can quit when I want!" tends to work out with single-game gamers. All Epic have to do is launch some equivalent of a wow expansion and they'll all be back.
Nah,he is a bulgar like me. They mostly get hammered after world and play a match or two. Also they made some money selling off skins and shit.

ultimanecat

Arcane
For some reason we keep getting articles about how Epic are helping out indies with their store written as if it’s the store and its features they are benefiting from when they clearly mean it’s the free money Epic gave them for exclusivity. Even the retarded devs seem to think Epic will be handing out paychecks to indies forever.

Epic is not running an indie developer welfare program, and if one of either 1)Fortnight slowing down or 2)EGS hitting some sort of critical mass where enough people use it and prefer it or 3)Epic decides to fuck off happens, then the handouts are going to stop. The feasibility of any of those three outcomes is up for debate but one of them will happen within the next few years.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
For some reason we keep getting articles about how Epic are helping out indies with their store written as if it’s the store and its features they are benefiting from when they clearly mean it’s the free money Epic gave them for exclusivity. Even the retarded devs seem to think Epic will be handing out paychecks to indies forever.

Good post, but I kind of see indies as the equivalent of retail workers living paycheck to paycheck. If Epic cuts a check that keeps them in business another couple years while they work on a potential breakout hit, maybe that's all they care about at the moment. Release on Steam without any hype or success and boom you're done.

Jezal_k23

Yes. "Here's 2 million dollars" is objectively quite helpful for indie developers.

passerby

Arcane
Then the handouts are going to stop.

These are not handouts, but a very safe loans, Epic are industry veterans, they may not be able to predict a true hit, but advance payments they give are going in 99% of cases pay for themselves.

It's easily sustainable, the only things that could stop it, would be customers bouncing from Epic, or Valve stepping up their game with smaller cut and payout program of their own.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Posting complete and utter bs pulled out of one's ass as it were facts, because why not.
Well, to be fair, the one sum that got disclosed - the payout to Control worth approximately 200k copies in guaranteed sales - shows that they are very conservative in predicting the sales amount. And given that indies are probably getting far smaller sums, likely by an order of magnitude or so, a game has to flop hard like TToN for them to lose money on such deals.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Posting complete and utter bs pulled out of one's ass as it were facts, because why not.
Well, to be fair, the one sum that got disclosed - the payout to Control worth approximately 200k copies in guaranteed sales - shows that they are very conservative in predicting the sales amount. And given that indies are probably getting far smaller sums, likely by an order of magnitude or so, a game has to flop hard like TToN for them to lose money on such deals.

Probably a better example would be whatever they paid for 6 months of Borderlands 3 exclusivity, because Control has bombed pretty hard on consoles and it's doubtful the same crowd that uses EGS to play Fortnight and streamer meme games are buying it either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom