Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Only 700GB?
Cool. Cool.

Might get the boxed version of this once the Linux patch is out and, well... the box is actually available.
But there's no way in hell I'm gonna bother with a download that big, especially via torrent :lol:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Only 700GB?
Cool. Cool.

Might get the boxed version of this once the Linux patch is out and, well... the box is actually available.
But there's no way in hell I'm gonna bother with a download that big, especially via torrent :lol:
The "boxed version" is just an empty box you can put on your shelf.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Only 700GB?
Cool. Cool.

The "boxed version" is just an empty box you can put on your shelf.
Not according to this:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RetroeXo#:~:text=NIKOLAOS-,on Sep 20, 2023,-5 out of

Looks to me like at least Version 5 (by whoever does the Etsy stuff) shipped with a 2TB drive with everything on it.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
This just might be a private seller who put together a box and the download on a stick (there's lot of stuff on etsy that's technical illegal but too small for anybody to care about), but they can't officially sell the box with the download because, at its core, it is piracy

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This just might be a private seller who put together a box and the download on a stick (there's lot of stuff on etsy that's technical illegal but too small for anybody to care about), but they can't officially sell the box with the download because, at its core, it is piracy
Exactly. eXo only sells the boxes; you need to download the pack yourself.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Well, maybe.
But that is the page the eXoDOS website sends you to for the "physical release", and the seller is literally named "RetroeXo".

So... idk, looks as official as it gets to me.
I remember getting my first MAME ROM collection the same way, years and years back. Just someone selling a DVD collection with it.
Technically illegal, but as you said, nobody really cares for small sellers related to abandonware, etc.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Reality check, guys: you're gonna get virtually all DOS games, so around 8000 of them, all preconfigured, with PDF manuals, posters, maps, extras, magazine scans, soundtracks, etc. for literally lifting your fingers a *little bit* only.

1. Buy new 2TB HDD
2. Start downloading torrent
3. Wait a few days / weeks, depending on connection

All for the price of 2 or 3 decent new games at Steam or GOG, or a few lunches... So stop whining, just do it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Which reminds me Rincewind can I use you as an intermediary to get stuff into the eXoDOS-collection?

I've found a couple of manuals in higher resolution than what's included in eXoDOS, and some people might appreciate the crisper fonts.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Which reminds me Rincewind can I use you as an intermediary to get stuff into the eXoDOS-collection?

I've found a couple of manuals in higher resolution than what's included in eXoDOS, and some people might appreciate the crisper fonts.
Sure, I can do that if you don't want to go near their Discord :)

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Which soundcard is meant to be used with Star Control 1.?
If you want the best sound, that will be the Amiga version, unironically.

Most games before about 1992 sound best on the Amiga, and many post-1992 games too.

On the Amiga you'll get PCM samples for this game, only the PC just some MIDI notes or AdLib noises.

Not sure about the backstory of this game, but if the music was originally composed as an Amiga MOD file, and then some other composer ported that to AdLib or MT-32 / General MIDI, the result often sounds like an early Kraftwerk demo or some 80s infomercial on national TV, respectively. Of course, if you never heard the Amiga original, you would not know any better...

The opposite can be true if the soundtrack was originally composed for an AdLib / MT-32, then it got ported to the Amiga. Many of those conversions are rather underwhelming.

Reality

Learned
My experience of the amiga sound is that it backports the sound effects from SC2 into SC1 (which is an improvement) but the chemjendu snd illwrath specifically cause sound clipping and looping whenever they get a kill.

Ladonna

Arcane
If you want the best sound, that will be the Amiga version, unironically.

Translation; "An Amiga pack may be surfacing eventually that has these games on it"

Anyway, unless someone is hellbent on playing all of these dos games, why wouldn't they just download the "On Demand" version of ExoDOS? That way you just get the games you want to play.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My experience of the amiga sound is that it backports the sound effects from SC2 into SC1 (which is an improvement) but the chemjendu snd illwrath specifically cause sound clipping and looping whenever they get a kill.
Star Control 1 Amiga release — 1990
Star Control 2 DOS release — 1992 (it has no Amiga port)

So, unless they're time-travellers, what happened is that they *forward ported* the samples of the original SC1 Amiga version to SC2 DOS. That fully makes sense as SC2 supports the GUS to play back MOD files in hardware. Just the fact that they use MOD files and GUS means they're at least somewhat familiar with the Amiga and the demoscene.

From Wikipedia (because I'm lazy to do proper research):
The team stretched their music budget by holding a contest to create the game's soundtrack.[13] Reiche and Ford had previously discovered the sample-based MOD file format while porting the first Star Control's music to consoles.[14] They posted the music contest to a newsgroup for Amiga users, despite the fact that the game was for PC, because Amiga hobbyists were the main community of MOD-tracker users in that time.[29] The contest attracted people from around the world, due to the popularity of the MOD format in the largely European demoscene.[14] The contest also led them to discover a teenager named Dan Nicholson, who they hired to create additional music as needed.[13] Further music came from existing team member Erol Otus, who first composed the Ur-Quan theme on a synthesizer before it was re-sampled and exported to the MOD file format.[14] The critically acclaimed soundtrack would include music from Aaron Grier, Erol Otus, Eric Berge, Riku Nuottajärvi, and Dan Nicholson.[30]

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
To be extra accurate, they re-used the music from the Amiga version of SC1, and the SFX-samples from the Genesis/Megadrive version of SC1, in Star Control 2 with the new tunes sent in via the competition.

The Ur-Quan tune in its entirety can be heard on the Amiga version of SC1 on the start-up screen.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

I email exo since I got banned on Discord. He's reachable there, only takes 4-5 days to respond. Intermediaries not necessary. retroexo@gmail.com

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Yeah, on crappier VGA monitors you'd get more blur, so there's a chance you'd effectively see no scanlines even from up close because they blend into each other.
Is this what CRT TVs exhibited as well?

I'm writing an article on NES emulation and from the pictures of CRTs I found, there's almost never any scanlines.
5b6cb62c2d8ab2694430ffdd77f011e5.jpg

dd14d2d40822e67d53337bc6a1785a45.jpg

And some Sega photos:
7c2572a35f88f57616024feb849c71d5.jpg

Although on the following picture, you can see them, especially around Sonic's mouth. But not in other parts of the screen. Curious and unexplainable.

53287d8a5b06dcdcc8cae12d74d1f0f8.jpg

Regardless, is it safe to say that most TVs didn't have them or they were so subtle, you'd have to look under a microscope to find them?

Another interesting thing is that the slot mask had large enough gaps between the vertical lines, so much that I found a thread where a guy complained that his "scanlines are vertical", mistaking the gaps for scanlines.
Particularly noticeable on the green parts of this photo:
9e26634f8cfbc952295288e6d5348e5e.jpg

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah that's all accurate what you wrote. You don't see the scanlines on CRT TVs because of interlacing, and the scanlines are much less focused than on PC monitors, so they blend into each other.

Readability of fine text was not a consideration when designing CRT TVs. But a pleasant looking image when displaying real-world footage was.

You don't see scanlines on PAL 14" Commodore monitors either. On NTSC, you see the scanlines; that's the 256 vs 200 scanline difference. They are spread further apart on NTSC.

Yeah, on low dot pitch TVs you can see those vertical black lines from up close, but those are not scanlines. I really like that effect, it increases the perceptual resolution (that how my small TV looks like that I use with my C64).

AndyS

Augur
My main problem with the way scanline shaders are implemented is that they never seem to account for the glow of the CRT, which also had the effect of blurring the image to an extent. So with the filters you get a look where the game is really dimmed compared to how it actually looked at home or in the arcade. Then you have vector games, which look absolutely horrible and inaccurate if you don't try to incorporate some kind of glow/trailing effects.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm still bothered by Yanks adding scanlines to the Amstrad CPC in emulation, especially the core-based ones.

The CPC came with its own monitor, that had no scanlines whatsoever.

No composite graphics crap, no relying upon televisions or Channel 3 or whatever.

Its. Own. Monitor.

It's bad enough when new hardware makes the original look of a game suffer, but when sheer ignorance takes the job further...

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
My main problem with the way scanline shaders are implemented is that they never seem to account for the glow of the CRT, which also had the effect of blurring the image to an extent.
But they do. You're using the wrong shaders then if you're looking for that. I'm using subtle glow emulation in my WinUAE setup too.

Having said that, glow emulation worsens the contrast, and we're not in a good spot when it comes to contrast even without glow on most flat screens such as all IPS panels.

Then for PC CRTs, the difference is minuscule (except for the crap CGA monitors, and long-phosphor persistence monochrome monitors).

Last edited:

Azdul

Magister
I wouldn't try too hard to replicate 'original' look on modern displays.

Most CRT have lots of analogue controls - and - besides arcades - you cannot tell exactly how the 'intended' picture looked like - how the author had seen it.

I believe that image size standards were set in stone only during DVD era - and when it comes to colors - even later - with Pantone Certified displays.

On platforms with long history - you can clearly see a difference between modern demos and early 80s games - in assumptions what part of the 'overscan' is visible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom