Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Conquistador Discussion Thread

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Is that it? Just a bunch of crates that ''god'' drops before the battle? meh...

Well no, it's generally explained in the narrative as you having the time to prepare (Which is why it's called the preparation phase), this means you get to place the barricades where you think it makes sense. You can bring in a certain number of barricades and traps and place them during the preparition phase. During combat, if they get destroyed or your traps are sprung, they're spent and you'll have to construct new ones when you make camp.

Akarnir

Educated
Is that it? Just a bunch of crates that ''god'' drops before the battle? meh...

Well no, it's generally explained in the narrative as you having the time to prepare (Which is why it's called the preparation phase), this means you get to place the barricades where you think it makes sense. You can bring in a certain number of barricades and traps and place them during the preparition phase. During combat, if they get destroyed or your traps are sprung, they're spent and you'll have to construct new ones when you make camp.

Yeah but that still isn't as awesome as they made it sound the first time. You just adjust the obstacles at the beginning of the battle.
It would have been so much awesome if the game had a more intricate defense element. Only a few game did it.

What makes the combat stand out from the other turn based combat games? It seems pretty generic, been there done that.

I would love to be proven wrong, as I'm fairly enthusiast by the setting of the game. Not many game are set in an historic setting, which is a far superior setting to science fiction or high fantasy trash.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Yeah but that still isn't as awesome as they made it sound the first time. You just adjust the obstacles at the beginning of the battle.
It would have been so much awesome if the game had a more intricate defense element. Only a few game did it.

What makes the combat stand out from the other turn based combat games? It seems pretty generic, been there done that.

I would love to be proven wrong, as I'm fairly enthusiast by the setting of the game. Not many game are set in an historic setting, which is a far superior setting to science fiction or high fantasy trash.

What would be an example of a more intricate defence element?

The combat itself is not overly complex, I'll consent to that, but it's flexible. What sets it apart is the unique levels, which are different and varied, and the tactical choices you make before going into combat. Your choices affect how and where you start in the level, and you have to adapt to that. Using traps and barricades greatly affect how the combat plays out.

Akarnir

Educated

What would be an example of a more intricate defence element?

The combat itself is not overly complex, I'll consent to that, but it's flexible. What sets it apart is the unique levels, which are different and varied, and the tactical choices you make before going into combat. Your choices affect how and where you start in the level, and you have to adapt to that. Using traps and barricades greatly affect how the combat plays out.

You convinced me ! (or at least helped) I think I'll give this game a try when it's released. Realistic RPGs are too rare to miss.

Although, what are the different kinds of combat situation? Is is always combat in open field (with punctual obstacles) or diverse situations such as mini-fort siege (attack or defense), defense of a caravan, town siege...
And are there different kinds of traps and barricade? Some area of effect abilities? Overall stuff that forces you to use advanced ''geometrical'' thinking (apart from usual character position).

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
The battlefields are very varied. Some have you escaping angry natives along a river, others fighting in the streets of Tenochtitlan. There is a fortress that you can find and restore after taking it back from the natives who's settled there, and there comes a point where you have to defend it as well. There are battles that takes place on the road, and others that take place inside old temple ruins.

Aside from barricades, we have 3 types of traps; net trap, caltrop trap (That cover more than one hex) and spike trap. There are also torches which removes the darkness penalties inside a certain radius when fighting night battles. And then there are lanterns that when thrown spill oil and starts a fire that spreads, which can be very dangerous to your own units as well. You can also find a cannon that you can bring onto the battlefield which has a very satisfying AoE effect.

Akarnir

Educated
The battlefields are very varied. Some have you escaping angry natives along a river, others fighting in the streets of Tenochtitlan. There is a fortress that you can find and restore after taking it back from the natives who's settled there, and there comes a point where you have to defend it as well. There are battles that takes place on the road, and others that take place inside old temple ruins.

Aside from barricades, we have 3 types of traps; net trap, caltrop trap (That cover more than one hex) and spike trap. There are also torches which removes the darkness penalties inside a certain radius when fighting night battles. And then there are lanterns that when thrown spill oil and starts a fire that spreads, which can be very dangerous to your own units as well. You can also find a cannon that you can bring onto the battlefield which has a very satisfying AoE effect.

And do they have plans for even more options? What are they going to support first : more content, more combat option or both?

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

And do they have plans for even more options? What are they going to support first : more content, more combat option or both?

Unfortunatelly, we will not be releasing any DLC at this time. We appologise for that. Should you be interested in this type of electronic entertainment, please visit www.origin.com

We will make you feel LIEK IN HEAVAN!!1!!

Captain Shrek

Unfortunatelly, we will not be releasing any DLC at this time. We appologise for that. Should you be interested in this type of electronic entertainment, please visit www.origin.com

We will make you feel LIEK IN HEAVAN!!1!!

Just by the way, does anyone have any statistics on Steam vs Origin sales per unit of time?

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I HATE KICKSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 (also, indies)

Shh, honey. We know, we know.

HviiTQO.jpg

Yeah, I know, I know. By the way, try not to choke on that dick bro.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If you're implying I sucked the cocks of the fine gentlemen over at Logic Artists, then I must disappoint you. I didn't back the Kickstarter, and though I'll probably have fun playing it, ultimately it's a bit too simplistic for my tastes.

Considering the amount of trash you've been flinging at kickstarted projects though, I'm pretty surprised that you donated to fucking Thorvalla out of all things.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
If you're implying I sucked the cocks of the fine gentlemen over at Logic Artists, then I must disappoint you. I didn't back the Kickstarter, and though I'll probably have fun playing it, ultimately it's a bit too simplistic for my tastes.
'K. Then I withdrawn the dicksucking comment.
Considering the amount of trash you've been flinging at kickstarted projects though...
Wat? It was just questioning --in a shitposting way, I admit-- the decision of delaying the game because "distribution concerns", even for pledgers.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Wat? It was just questioning --in a shitposting way, I admit-- the decision of delaying the game because "distribution concerns", even for pledgers.

That was kindda my point. You've been questioning these things across multiple threads concerning different games. Pretty much all in the same shitpostingish manner. Which lead me to believe you had a curry-like distaste for Kickstarter and indies. I don't normally like the phrase, but it applies here: I just call 'em as I see 'em bro. If I've misunderstood you, there are two possibilities: I am a giant retard incapable of reading your posts correctly (@Marsal, there's a new quote for your sig!) or you've gone out of your way to make shitty posts about a bunch of games.

Both are equally viable explanations, I'm sure. A combination, perhaps?

anus_pounder

Arcane
:x I see. Well I suppose all we can do is wait. We have such great games like Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinity coming out soon and classics like Black Ops 2 to tide us over. :cry:

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
That was fast...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom