Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Conquistador Discussion Thread

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
GOG, what's that? Some kind of a retail store or...?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Started playing this game yesterday after finishing Shadowrun. Already I like it more. Gameplay is pretty interesting and fun, reminds me of Heroes of Might & Magic but in a more "PvE" configuration. There seem to be metric tons of random events that can happen and there is a surprising amount of depth and strategy in playing - not so much in the individual elements themselves but in how they all combine together. Combat is satisfyingly tactical though I have a feeling it might get a bit easy to exploit the enemy AI scripts after some practice. Definitely recalls games like Sid Meier's Pirates, or even Storm of Zehir.

Bland visuals and as some have said the camera can be a little awkward at times given the overland map design, but other than that the writing is really entertaining and evocative, it touches on interesting social and historical issues without imposing too much modern idealism onto it (i.e. many people are racist, but seeing them get into philosophical debates with each other almost makes their perspectives justified given the time period), and so on. It's not the most complex game I've ever played, but it's definitely very enjoyable and easy worth the price.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I played a bit, finished some quests. I like almost everything. Party building, fresh setting, serious non-wacky writing, fine combat, choice and consequences and carefully hand made unique events. The world feels dangerous and unpredictable, and I love exploration. I even somewhat like the goddamn huge trees, since you never know what you can stumble upon. Game is addictive as hell. I already had some true bro events which beat any biowarian dialogue easy, but came just from mechanics. Like my little nun Valiente with eyes of a Bamby getting arqebuse and shooting pagan priest with it, who cried curses on us, and then she drank from some well and got sick with jungle fever. But we were all safe cause my soldier had a tasty sausage when we ran out of supplies which he shared with the party. Thanks "Maestro" Artego :bro:

Shooting seriously sucks in the beginning, any advice on combat? I seriously struggle when there are no choking points. And it seems whoever runs into melee first and gets first hit wins. I can't find any way to prevent first strike on my guys, no overwatch or anything.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Make sure to bring traps and barricades with you if you have a preparation phase, or lanterns when you get those. Also, be sure to kit out your followers with your equipment. Unassigned equipment can be stolen, but assigned equipment can't.

I'm happy to hear you like the game :)

Shadenuat

Arcane
Oh my god game tries to marry me to Pocahontas, what do I do I don't even :lol: It must be a trick, if it was AoD then in the end we both would be shot by fellow spaniards and excommunicated from church... no, first excommunicated, then shot

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anyone with a ranged weapon can be set to overwatch. You have to switch them to using the ranged weapon first.

The craftable items help a *lot* and you find almost all the stuff you need to make them. You should always have 1 guy making stuff until you have loads of everything. I found caltrops and torches to be the most useful because they covered a wide area. Also the AI is too dumb to avoid the fire (and will even walk back and forth through it sometimes).

As for your problem with first strike wins, you need to leave bait out and then counter attack. Put a soldier or two with the defense ability on out in the open, and then use your scouts' abilities to move around pretty much anywhere to get flanking attacks.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lanterns are fucking mass murder machines if you manage to defend a chokepoint with two soldiers and then throw a lantern on the enemies that are held there.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I just ran a bit too far and got stuck in combat with canoe murderers without any preparation or actual knowledge about combat and items. I don't have any problems now, except that game tries to bioware me. Well, not yet.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lanterns are fucking mass murder machines if you manage to defend a chokepoint with two soldiers and then throw a lantern on the enemies that are held there.
Luckily they nerfed item use with the new patch. Lanterns really broke the game before it, but now you really have to only use them was necessary.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They're still really, really powerful in that battle where you have to defend your fortress against the Aztecs (if you side with the Totonacs).
Just place two or three barricades to block off the entrance to the fort, once they break use two soldiers to hold it, all the while shooting at the enemy with your hunters. When they crowd in front of the gates - throw a lantern. And use the cannon.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Finished the game. Decided to preserve Aztec empire and, while king wasn't pleased with that, Moctezuma was too much of a bro to betray him.
I'd take half of kickstarter money from Shadowrun and gave it to this game with easy heart. Yeah, game has ton of balance issues (bullets pathetically dancing off shields glued from branches and grass with "blocked!" flying off made me rage so much), graphics could be better, Heroes bird-eye view would fit game more, and two dozen more landmarks, wells, caves, castles, strategic points would help it hold up till endgame a lot. As well as some closing dialogue with all your companions. But to make something so large, multi-dimensional on strategy and tactical levels with so little money and experience probably required tremendous passion and talent.
Greeeat little big game
:bravo:

I would like to see more games in that style using same engine, but with new settings (medieval, or more historical fiction maybe). Would be nice to have an add-on or two, too

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why suck GOG's cock when I don't have to?
DRM free games, cheaper (at leas in europe) - how is this comparable to cock sucking?

I see you're relatively new -- most people here aren't rabidly anti-DRM like they are on the GOG forums. And, at least in American dollars (and rubles!) Steam sales are almost always cheaper/better than GOG sales. DRM free = I'll torrent the game without moral reservation if Steam ever shuts down/deprives me of my copy.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I don't have anything to do with gog forums, but yes I think that DRM is the work of Satan. Any sort of deal where I pay the full price and don't own the game is evil and disgusting to me. I'd rather not pay a company that does that unless there is no other way to buy the game.

deuxhero

Arcane
I buy off Steam instead of GoG because my bank (otherwise sensibly, though why I can't get them to approve for JUST GoG perpetually is beyond me. Something tells me government regulations is behind it though.) requires me to call ahead before making purchases outside of the US and with their sales on weekends, I have less than a day to decide if I want to buy something (non-automated phone systems are closed on the weekeneds).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom