Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Conquistador Discussion Thread

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Just tried all the end game paths and have to say - i liked adventuring events and story/combat the most. Would ditch all the riding by clicking and use map travel with random encounters like in Fallout.

JrK

Prophet
I'd ditch the riding by clicking and use map travel with automatic camping checks and random encounters ala Darklands. The camp micromanagement is fun but happens a bit too often compared to how far you can travel.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You don't "own" a GOG game anymore than people torrenting it.

BS you can and should DL DRM FREI copy and make a backup.... the Steam or Origin on the other hand... :roll:

GOG torrents = my Steam backup copies.:smug:
Man, GOG games come so organized on a neat installer.I almost feel guilty in doing the same thing . Sometimes I feel so lazy in dragging and droping those cracks and messing with dosbox, I almost wished someone to do that work for me but charging me 5 to10 kwans for a few minutes of work is too much . I felt tempted in buying System Shock 2 on GOG one time but then I remembered that I would only give money to EA, the horror in thinking that EA would get more than 0 kwans from me made me desist and I never opened the GOG page again.

EA gets no money from people buying SS2. They don't own the rights.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I got dicked over by that stupid ambush during the prologue chapter. My team is too weak to fight the enemies off/survive for 10 rounds and I have few enough resources that I have no choice but to try to head back to town ASAP. Not sure if I should just start over at this point, the thought of losing is too much to bear.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Eheheh. Glad I could make a difference, small as it was. :oops:

Anyway Sea, don't be so worried. The devs specifically made the game so it can keep going even if you lose battles. Don't lose heart just yet.

FuelBlooded

Scholar
Just finished this side quest. Awesome dialog. :D
AEkX8sn.jpg

almondblight

Arcane
Anyway Sea, don't be so worried. The devs specifically made the game so it can keep going even if you lose battles. Don't lose heart just yet.

Interesting failure states are one of the things I really liked. There are actually a number of things in the game that other RPGs could learn from.

Name

Cipher
Finally finished the Mexican Campaign (on second highest difficulty), great game except some gripes:

Unintuitive desicion to make some calculations based on leader's stat instead of party's aggregated stat, for example hunting for meat and number of items for use per battle. All in the name of balance.
No way to dismiss members. You get a fortress! You have a barrack! Your expedition members like to sleep in those beds! But you just can't do that. The only way to decrease your party size is sacraficing them or letting them died of wound?
Invisible barriers in the form of mountains and dense forests.
Scaling in the amount of stolen resources, with no way to prevent it even if you have 95% guarding.
Native classes are too awesome. Amazon's Deft Strike, Warrior's Taunt usually can kill one unit per use. Trapper's Hailstorm is like mobile cannon.
Camping frequency.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
I eventually got this one since I asked about it in August. I had fun with it and I think it's a good game, though it did not live up to my (unrealistic?) expectations of a game more solidly grounded in history. Also, despite the fact most of them were acceptable, I just couldn't look over some of the goofier faux-Spanish follower names that were just completely improbable for the period. Still, the whole conquest of the new world is a tricky subject which most developers simply choose to avoid, so props to the team for producing this. Loved the classic feel, game mechanics and overall challenge, was disappointed by the semi-historical setting.

Name

Cipher
I eventually got this one since I asked about it in August. I had fun with it and I think it's a good game, though it did not live up to my (unrealistic?) expectations of a game more solidly grounded in history. Also, despite the fact most of them were acceptable, I just couldn't look over some of the goofier faux-Spanish follower names that were just completely improbable for the period. Still, the whole conquest of the new world is a tricky subject which most developers simply choose to avoid, so props to the team for producing this. Loved the classic feel, game mechanics and overall challenge, was disappointed by the semi-historical setting.

Yeah, also there are those two gods... and magical artifacts... I completely forgot its historic premise in Mexico Campaign.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Too bad the sales are mediocre and any kind of sequel is unlikely at this point, could have developed into a great series with some tweaking here and there.
Kind of like a more mature version of King's Bounty (remake).

Jack Dandy

Arcane
There have just been too many factors working against this game's success,

1. "Unusual setting", not big on most RPG fans.
2. Terrible release date (Right around E3 and The Last of Us' release- most gaming sites didn't even bother reviewing it)
3. Partnering up with Shitcomposer which blocked it's Steam sales for a good while in a bunch of Euro countries. And naturally, having to split ever Steam sell with them means Logic Artists get even less.

It really tears me up since I enjoyed this kind of gameplay a whole lot.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, do we know anything about them and how they're doing? It wasn't the perfect game but they tried and it was a very good first job. I'd hate to see them stop.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, do we know anything about them and how they're doing? It wasn't the perfect game but they tried and it was a very good first job. I'd hate to see them stop.
It didn't sell well enough for them to make an Inca dlc. They made some statement about the next game they're working on. I forget the specifics, but I remember it was not an isometric rpg.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Last time I heard, I think it was Grunker who talked with them in some conference. They gave him some super-secret info about the new game (Apparently a "Hybrid" RPG. Something like Deus Ex maybe?), and that they were looking for publishing deals.

It's pretty silly imo.. they say the whole Kickstarter was more trouble than it's worth, but that was from BEFORE they released their game. I'm sure if they try another one, they'll definitely make at least a sweet 100K.

Mortmal

Arcane
100K ? Not so so sure , i will only give money for a true rpg, and even those have much troubles reaching their goals, look at deathfire failing. I hope that by hybrid rpg they dont mean another action rpg, steam greenlight is already flooded with oblivion clones.They could have told everyone what their super secret project is, their game is only discussed here and on their official forums, no risk for it to spread too much.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Heh- when I was talking about them attempting another KS, I meant if it was for another Expeditions-style game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Last time I heard, I think it was Grunker who talked with them in some conference. They gave him some super-secret info about the new game (Apparently a "Hybrid" RPG. Something like Deus Ex maybe?), and that they were looking for publishing deals.

It's pretty silly imo.. they say the whole Kickstarter was more trouble than it's worth, but that was from BEFORE they released their game. I'm sure if they try another one, they'll definitely make at least a sweet 100K.

Pretty accurate, for the most part. They said they might consider Kickstarter in the future, but not for the next game.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Well, it could be cool. Some of the LA guys worked on The Nameless Mod for the original Deus Ex, which I understand was pretty fucking good.

They should never have partnered with bitComposer. Those guys are practically doing nothing to promote the game. They only had it placed on Steam sooner which was absolutely redundant, and are possibly getting a huge cut out of sales.

And they should have listened to sound advice on some of the less than impressive design elements instead of defending them with poor excuses and immature remarks. Combat in Beta was more interesting, fun and tactical, for instance. I can understand if anyone that didn't back the KS but somehow played the Beta or relied on others' impressions of Beta, bought the game and was disappointed.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
I really enjoyed the combat in the full game. What was different in it in the beta?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom