Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Conquistador Discussion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really enjoyed the combat in the full game. What was different in it in the beta?

This is another one of VOTS's delusions I think. He claims they "removed abilities" despite the developers denying it on this very forum. (IIRC it was one ability that they renamed or changed a bit or something.)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They just released a press release/kickstarter update.

Update Number Thirty-One!

Greetings from not-so-sunny Copenhagen Backers! We are excited to share with you here in Update #31 a general wrap-up to the project, we will post another update when everything is officially finished over here in the office, but for now, here is what’s up:
Physical Rewards:

Regarding our physical rewards, first we would like to say to our backers in the 100 dollar and above pledge brackets, thank you for your patience! It’s taken a while to get all of the physical rewards here from various parts of the world. We’ve learned a little bit about receiving international deliveries through the customs house, and a little bit more on the various methods available for shipping them out to you! It’s been an interesting series of phone calls, emails and snail letters but everything is finally ready.

We have now had all of the physical rewards delivered to the office and we’ve packed them all for shipping. Those of you receiving physical rewards should get a message to your Kickstarter inbox sometime in the next week with a confirmation number. That number will (apparently) let you monitor the physical rewards package as it is in transit to you. The packages are being delivered to the Post office tomorrow and boy are we excited to send them out to you!

bf26d1e009ed88f392738bbda3b910d7_large.JPG

Packaging up all the Physical Rewards!
Distribution Info:

Expeditions: Conquistador is now available digitally around the world via Steam, GOG, Greenman Gaming, Desura, GamersGate, and the Mac Game Store. You can pick up a physical copy in stores in select countries around the world including Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Spain, and Italy as well as many of the Spanish Speaking countries in the Americas.

Regionalization Info:

Expeditions: Conquistador is now available in a variety of languages including: English, Spanish, Italian, and German (and coming soon Russian)

Game Editor:

We have been talking for some time about the release of a game editor so that all of y’all in the modding community can go get your mod on with Ex:Con! The editor will become available via update at the same time as the new Russian language version.

New Website and Logo:

Now by popular demand (and some helpful comments by some backers) We have a brand-spanking-new website and company logo! We think it turned out quite nicely, check it out! www.logicartists.com

Things to Come:

We have been working like crazy the last couple of months on something… We wanna tell you all about it right now, but we need a bit more time with it before we release any info, we’re gonna announce it here for you guys (along with the soc.media sites) so stay tuned because exciting things are happening at the Logic Artists Studio!

Some Lessons Learned:

Regarding Kickstarter we setup our project after spending some time looking at what other game devs had done before us but nothing can compare to the lessons we learned about exclusive content when it comes to making games.

1. Give everyone a Beta Key. After reviewing our experience, and with the feedback from a number of backers, we can strongly recommend that you give all backers access to a beta key for your game. As a small team, it is difficult to get enough feedback pre-release regarding the user’s experience. We feel that you can’t have too much user feedback when it comes to making games and so for those of you out there working in small teams that are looking to kickstart a game the backers are incredibly helpful and passionate about the games they back. Let them help you!

2. Give exclusive in-game content, but only for a limited time. Backers, we know you love that juicy exclusive content! But it makes everyone else sad, and a bit jealous. Ultimately what we want to avoid as devs is exclusive in-game boosts. What we have learned is that this additional content was very cool. So for Kickstarter Devs, giving backers early access instead of completely exclusive assets might be a way to keep the general gaming community (non-backers) from feeling alienated.

3. Constant and Consistent Communication is key. We think that a bi-monthly or weekly update about the different trials of the project could be very valuable, not just to interested backers but to act as a developer diary of sorts, where we was devs can go back and be reminded of the different trials of development. We also think that this update should be performed by various members of the development team based on their role in the development.

What we have Achieved:

1. For our first PC title we are extremely proud of the current 77/100 Meta Score and user score of 8.3/10 on Meta Critic.

2. 30+ hours of Gameplay and the completion of a number of our KS stretch goals, even though we didn’t hit the stretch.

3. This has also allowed us to increase the size of the development team to 12 people which gives us a great deal more flexibility in our development process, and we have begun working on new projects. We’ve already got them in the pipeline, so you will be seeing more games released from us here at Logic Artists in the next few years.

Kudos:

Kudos to you backers! All that stuff we just wrote about in the update and more is thanks to you folks believing in our idea. We could not have done it without your support not just your donations but also all of the helpful comments and suggestions you have shared with us, both here and on the forums!

Last edited:
2. Give exclusive in-game content, but only for a limited time. Backers, we know you love that juicy exclusive content! But it makes everyone else sad, and a bit jealous. Ultimately what we want to avoid as devs is exclusive in-game boosts. What we have learned is that this additional content was very cool. So for Kickstarter Devs, giving backers early access instead of completely exclusive assets might be a way to keep the general gaming community (non-backers) from feeling alienated.

Yes please. One of the things that I loathe the most in KS games is in-game backer exclusives. Horrible, horrible thing, on par with distributor-specific pre-order DLC (DX:HR, Dishonored, and many more). And that's even when I am the one getting the exclusive content. I just want the game, and I like it better if everyone has the exact same thing on their drives, to the last byte.

I really enjoyed the combat in the full game. What was different in it in the beta?

This is another one of VOTS's delusions I think. He claims they "removed abilities" despite the developers denying it on this very forum. (IIRC it was one ability that they renamed or changed a bit or something.)

No, they outright removed it, not "renamed". "Changed" is a shitty way to call it. Let's say you're in an alternate 1994 and you are a beta tester for the original Fallout. In the beta, there is a trait called "Gifted". It does what it did in the release version in our timeline, except in this timeline, "Gifted" disappears from the release version and there is another trait in its place called "Skilled". It doesn't give +1 to all attributes like the one in our timeline does. It doesn't set all skills -10% but instead sets them all +5% and it gives 3 more skills points per level up, instead of 5 less. Somewhat similar by nature but not the same at all. Then you walk up to Tim Cain and bitch about that. You say "Too bad you removed Gifted, it was such a good trait. Skilled just isn't the same" and he explodes in your face: "What the hell are you talking about, man? We didn't remove nothing from the game. We just renamed it. You are fired, GTFO!"

I'm not even the only one to bitch about it. Others here on the forums also have. I'm sure you can find the beta somewhere and see for yourself unless perhaps you would like to stfu about things you don't know.

Some Logic Artists devs have an exceptional aversion to recognising their mistakes. Take for instance my bitching about the map and fog of war and see what shitty excuses they gave for it.

And ultimately the end result is that combat plays differently.

And now behold the console version of the game:

HXmwaMs.png

With FoW.

http://www.logicartists.com/logicartists/games.html
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/conquistador/c1ccc2cd-fde6-44f9-841c-fd89b1828a75

:rage:

I'm happy for them as things seem to be looking out but doesn't change the fact about partial dishonesty they display when cornered.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still don't understand what changed about the combat itself.

And I know that they didn't put FoW in the game map because of technical limitations. Unity is kind of a bitch to work with, they barely managed to handle it as it is.

Tigranes

Arcane
Conquistador is a game that wouldn't need to be simplified in any way by going mobile.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
The mobile game was made before we started working on Expeditions: Conquistador, and aside from the setting, they're two completely different games. As Jack mentioned, we tried implementing a fog of war system, but ran into too many problems. 2D and 3D are two completely different things, so adding fog of war, is easier said than done.
I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the way guarded changed, but it is what it is.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Perhaps we should start a new thread for this in General Gaming (before this becomes the Logic Artists megathread, heh)

Edit: Oh, there is one.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Sadly, yes.

The multiplayer concept sounds fun enough, I guess.

Ah. Oh well...
I wonder how a studio of their type can handle this kind of game. I mean, from what EC showed me, they're not exactly pros when it comes to graphics-related stuff (Which is important for this sort of game). And when these kinds of games are attempted by smaller studio, the result is just mediocre.

Still, good luck to them with it, I guess.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I imagine they wanted to capitalize on their experience and reputation from making The Nameless Mod.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
I imagine they wanted to capitalize on their experience from The Nameless Mod.
Yeah, I'd understand that, and I'd love if they made some Deus Ex\Thief-style thing. But from what I'm seeing, this seems to be a humdrum MP-focused Splinter Cell sort of deal.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Is this the thing they talked with you about some time ago, Grunker?

Sadly, yes.
Now that the cat is out of the bag, how did they explain this to you? How the fuck did they go from a nice text-heavy, isometric, TB game to this crap?

Explain? I guess they like the idea?
I guess, but it seems like a departure from their first game. One would expect them to build on and develop the original concept further (with more depth it would have been a hell of a game), not to drop it and go with stealth co-op. So, was there any story to it? Were sales/reception a factor?

PS. I really wanted to play a viking game in the style of EC. :(

Jack Dandy

Arcane
I guess so, VD. They did say sales weren't enough to justify immediate work on another Expeditions title \ DLC.

They did also remind how they'd like to revisit the series sometime, but.. I'll be blunt - if this game flops (and it most likely will), it might kill the studio. So I'm pretty worried..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom