Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Conquistador Discussion Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I imagine they wanted to capitalize on their experience and reputation from making The Nameless Mod.

I think they genuinely like these sorts of games.

Is this the thing they talked with you about some time ago, Grunker?

Sadly, yes.
Now that the cat is out of the bag, how did they explain this to you? How the fuck did they go from a nice text-heavy, isometric, TB game to this crap?

Explain? I guess they like the idea?
I guess, but it seems like a departure from their first game.

"Their" first production was The Nameless Mod for Deus Ex. Seems pretty much in the vein of that.

No story that I could divine from my 10-minute conversation with them, but I think they've wanted to make something like this.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The new gameplay element which is what they kept talking about when I met them was the assymetrical concept of one player playing the spy and one playing the handler.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
2. Give exclusive in-game content, but only for a limited time. Backers, we know you love that juicy exclusive content! But it makes everyone else sad, and a bit jealous. Ultimately what we want to avoid as devs is exclusive in-game boosts. What we have learned is that this additional content was very cool. So for Kickstarter Devs, giving backers early access instead of completely exclusive assets might be a way to keep the general gaming community (non-backers) from feeling alienated.

Yes please. One of the things that I loathe the most in KS games is in-game backer exclusives. Horrible, horrible thing, on par with distributor-specific pre-order DLC (DX:HR, Dishonored, and many more). And that's even when I am the one getting the exclusive content. I just want the game, and I like it better if everyone has the exact same thing on their drives, to the last byte.
Logic artists sent a poll to kickstarter backers asking if we were ok with the exclusive content being released to the public. From what I'm given to understand it was pretty split along the middle, with half the players thinking it was totally fine, and the other half hating the idea.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Waiting for deal on Autumn sale for E:C and meanwhile... they announce Alpha Protocol clone with more computah (no icecreams).

Not sure why but feels like they want to be Obsidian bis?

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
There will be single player, where some of the handler's mechanics will be taken over by the agent, but not all.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Ugh, Co-op. So what are we supposed to do if we don't have any friends to play with? I mean, not me, I'm just asking for my, uh... friend.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
How the fuck did they go from a nice text-heavy, isometric, TB game to this crap?

Let us forget the fact that most of the truly good games were made by developers who simply made the kind of a game that they felt like making. Not the kind of a game that they were expected to.

But clearly Iron Tower Studios can't relate to that sentiment at all, right?

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I merely hoped that they would stick with the EC concept and develop it further, adding more depth and features. It was a fairly unique game that offered what no other game did today. As a gamer I'm disappointed to see the concept abandoned in favor of a co-op game, but if EC sold poorly, it's an understandable decision.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now that's what I wanted to hear. :D

But- of course; Best of luck with Clandestine as well! I'll keep a close watch on it, even if it's not exactly up my alley.

AwesomeDude

Educated
So the guys behind The Nameless Mod made finally a game instead of crappy self-insert fanfic mod? Awesome.

We're returning to the expeditions series after Clandestine.

Yee-fucking-haw!

And hopefully this time with mod support. E:C would benefit so much from modding.

And a properly functioning travel map with clear outlines for terrain and objects + a FoW, please! The UFO beams, garble of 3D soup obstructing everything and the view distance dependence on pan distance sucked all the enjoyment out of navigating the travel map.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
That's good news indeed. Please optimize a bit this time though. All the glowing shit on screen made CPU go crazy. This should not be the case in such a game.
Otherwise, camera was a bit annoying, yes - but i can live with that. I'd prefer more class skills and options in combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom