Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Conquistador Discussion Thread

anus_pounder

Arcane
I want it to be set in Europe during the plague. The gimmick would be that everyone in your party already has the plague and are traveling on a religious pilgrimage because they heard that there is a mystical healer several countries over who can heal them. You would have two separate skill trees: one which builds your skills and stats and another representing the plague that would force you to choose various impediments as the game progresses, so much of character building would be managing the symptoms of the disease (and your character would, theoretically, get weaker the longer you play). Likewise, each character would have a terminal point so NPCs would eventually die (and they'll die sooner if you don't manage their symptoms properly). Of course, Bubonic plague kills relatively quickly so you'd probably have to fictionalize it somewhat, but that wouldn't be too hard to fudge reality on as the plague was a mysterious force back then. Anyhow, if I were writing the game I'd have the healer turn out to be a con artist and thus the entire game would just be one long coming to terms with the inevitability of death.

I'd play the shit out of that game.

:what:

Give this man his own game design studio and team.

Name

Cipher
I want it to be set in Europe during the plague. The gimmick would be that everyone in your party already has the plague and are traveling on a religious pilgrimage because they heard that there is a mystical healer several countries over who can heal them. You would have two separate skill trees: one which builds your skills and stats and another representing the plague that would force you to choose various impediments as the game progresses, so much of character building would be managing the symptoms of the disease (and your character would, theoretically, get weaker the longer you play). Likewise, each character would have a terminal point so NPCs would eventually die (and they'll die sooner if you don't manage their symptoms properly). Of course, Bubonic plague kills relatively quickly so you'd probably have to fictionalize it somewhat, but that wouldn't be too hard to fudge reality on as the plague was a mysterious force back then. Anyhow, if I were writing the game I'd have the healer turn out to be a con artist and thus the entire game would just be one long coming to terms with the inevitability of death.

:what:

Give this man his own game design studio and team.

How about making the truth of the healer random at each start of new game...

Kz3r0

Arcane
Actually, apart deciding if inserting supernatural elements, Juan Carlo's idea can be put in historical context quite easily, make it a pilgrimage to Rome to attend the jubilee proclaimed by the Pope to ask forgiveness for mankind' sins of which the plague is a punishment, having to travel the politically instable zones, brigands, stray mercenary bands, rumors of witches spreading the plague, alchemists having found a cure, supposedly, practically a new Darklands in the making.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Or... your party thinks that they have the plague. I'd probably change the historical bubonic plague to something new that the player can't have previous knowledge of. Though in capable and knowledgeable hands the distortion that average middle-age peasant's perspective on the whole thing would probably do just as good a job. But that'd be tricky to do as well.

Kz3r0

Arcane

Or... your party thinks that they have the plague. I'd probably change the historical bubonic plague to something new that the player can't have previous knowledge of. Though in capable and knowledgeable hands the distortion that average middle-age peasant's perspective on the whole thing would probably do just as good a job. But that'd be tricky to do as well.
Many turned out to be immune or survived it, even if they were disfigured, so, what mechanism can be implemented for the PC and the party roll for immunity or survival?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Many turned out to be immune or survived it, even if they were disfigured, so, what mechanism can be implemented for the PC and the party roll for immunity or survival?

Hmmm... A party of naturally immune PCs who are also unknowingly plague carriers, travelling the world in the search of the cure, but actually being the cause. Hehe.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

Someone make this, holy shit.

Tigranes

Arcane
Best armchair design pitch I've heard in a long long time, yes. Juan_Carlo please quit job and make kickstarter

sser

Arcane
Developer

Ho'yes. Somewhat reminds me of a fairly recent movie, Black Death. And a game in Expeditions' style would suit it so well.

Darkion

Augur

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira

:bounce: Holy fucking shit. :bounce:

Severian Silk

Does the game have time limits? I.e. can I wander around indefinitely with no regard to the passing of time as long as I keep my crew healthy? Do the pigs and other goodies respawn?

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Does the game have time limits? I.e. can I wander around indefinitely with no regard to the passing of time as long as I keep my crew healthy? Do the pigs and other goodies respawn?
Few quests have time limits but there is no global limit.
Stuff respawns.

Severian Silk

This is my first time playing the game. I created an all-female party. Is that a viable build? Will it affect combat?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't see why not. All people of the same class have the same stats if I recall right, so the skills you pick would make all the difference. As long as you don't have a really schizo team of conflicting personalities, you'd be ok.

Severian Silk

As long as you don't have a really schizo team of conflicting personalities, you'd be ok.
Oops, I didn't think of that. Is there some way to tell beforehand by reading character descriptions? Or will I just have to wait and find out?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reminds me, I should finish my run. Are warriors too imbalanced for the game beginning? Cause I'm gonna mod the Capitan into one and add him to the party at the start.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom