Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Conquistador Discussion Thread

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Soo... Is the second campaign any good? Also, is it harder?
It's good, the map is bigger, it has a lot of stuff to do, even some secret places to discover and you can build your own fort. So if you like the game - try it. As for the difficulty, I think it's pretty much the same as Hispaniola.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Play it on a harder difficulty if you find it too easy. It makes the AI a bit smarter, too.

Also, I found the tutorial to be really great, actually. What didn't it explain to you?

7/10

Learned
For example, the fact that you can really screw yourself over, if you don't gather a large supply of medicine in case you have to treat several followers at the same time, which is pretty likely, given the fact that the game likes to throw random encounters at you.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
"Screw yourself over"?
The first time one of my guys died because we ran outta herbs, I simply made sure to always have a good amount on me. And that was on Ironman Hard.

Did you let half your crew die before thinking that it would be a good idea to conserve medicine?

7/10

Learned
The thing is, you probably won't have enough herbs if you never get off the road, since they mostly spawn in the jungle. Once you have 3 wounded guys and not enough medicine, it's usually too late to gather more. So the solution is: gather herbs beforehand or don't let your guys get wounded.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
So the solution is: gather herbs beforehand or don't let your guys get wounded.

I fail to see the problem here. They explain about injuries quite clearly and precisely in the tutorial, let you know the percentages of a wound deteriorating overnight...
Even if you get 3 of your guys wounded at once, I find it hard to believe you wouldn't make it to town and then sell your stuff for some medicine or find some herbs and make them yourself.

Especially in the beginning of the game.

Severian Silk

Is there a way to turn off autosaving? It causes an annoying stutter at the beginning of each day.

Severian Silk

Also, is there a penalty when wearing armor for ranged attacks? My units are missing with bows and muskets about half the time, whereas the enemy is more successful.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, is there a penalty when wearing armor for ranged attacks? My units are missing with bows and muskets about half the time, whereas the enemy is more successful.
I don't think so. I do think the natives have more classes which are skilled with ranged weapons. There is pretty much no reason to use one with a non-hunter as a Spaniard. I think they've patched in higher chance to hit since the last time I played though.

The only time I used ranged attacks with soldiers was setting them into overwatch mode (don't remember what it's called now) right as I reached engagement rage. Just because it gave a ~30 chance at doing some damage compared to nothing.

Actually, sometimes I would screw up with a bottleneck and have to shoot or do nothing with soldiers.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Pretty sure armor doesn't effect it. You simply have to give about 2 level ups to your ranged guys before they become useful in combat. (Don't forget to take the walk your shots perk, it's basically mandatory for them)

Severian Silk

OK, I switched my hunters for some scouts and I had a much easier time fighting some Aztecs in a 'burned out village'. Thanks.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
The thing is, you probably won't have enough herbs if you never get off the road, since they mostly spawn in the jungle. Once you have 3 wounded guys and not enough medicine, it's usually too late to gather more. So the solution is: gather herbs beforehand or don't let your guys get wounded.
What part of preparing for emergencies in case of .... an emergency, seems like bad gameplay to you? Fucking need a compass to point you to those herbs or else you can't figure it out?

7/10

Learned
What part of preparing for emergencies in case of .... an emergency, seems like bad gameplay to you? Fucking need a compass to point you to those herbs or else you can't figure it out?

What part of getting owned by a mechanic you had no prior experience with, can't you figure out?

Severian Silk

What part of getting owned by a mechanic you had no prior experience with, can't you figure out?
The part where you say you aren't an idiot.

deuxhero

Arcane
During my game I got loads of herbs and, because medicine was low in town I sold a lot of them and made a hefty profit.

Then I somehow ate nearly all the rations on the island...

7/10

Learned
^ That's called gameplay.

That's called shit design. The point you're gonna find out, how much medicine you need to treat a critically injured follower is the point where you end up with one. This is oftentimes a scripted or random occurence, like the time Isabella gets kidnapped. As deuxhero said, if you find a lot of herbs, you may be inclined to sell most of them.

While you should be able to handle having one guy require treatment, two or three will make you run out of medicine pretty quickly, unless you hoarded a TON of herbs.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
It's not like the second somebody gets injured, he dies IMMIDIATELY if you don't have medicine. Usually there's a town nearby where you can buy medicine, and by the time you reach one you should also find a bunch of herbs as well.

The spanish town also has a healer, so you don't have to heal them yourself either

Severian Silk

OK, so I finished my first playthrough.

1. The central storyline is nice and well written, though it felt kind of short.
2. The combat is kind of hard in the beginning if you're unfortunate enough to have taken any hunters with you into battle.
3. The game could have used more unit types in combat besides just the basic natives and Spanish. A giant jaguar for example for that one quest.
4. I didn't like the world map and exploration. It's similar to Mount&Blade's world map and HoMM, which I also didn't like. It just looks goofy.
5. Exploring and farming the countryside felt kind of tedious. Maybe because of #4, above.

Overall I give the game a 7/10. I enjoyed Blackguards more.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
^ That's called gameplay.

That's called shit design. The point you're gonna find out, how much medicine you need to treat a critically injured follower is the point where you end up with one. This is oftentimes a scripted or random occurence, like the time Isabella gets kidnapped. As deuxhero said, if you find a lot of herbs, you may be inclined to sell most of them.

While you should be able to handle having one guy require treatment, two or three will make you run out of medicine pretty quickly, unless you hoarded a TON of herbs.
I think being caught of guard and in a bad situation is the point of a "random" occurrence.... I still fail to see what your complaint is. Even if one of those three injured party member's dies, you don't lose or have to reload, unless you are desperate for a perfect play through or something. You are essentially complaining that the game throws unexpected challenges at you, which is a good thing, not a bad thing. It's like the "I can't find Caius Coscades" bullshit.

deuxhero

Arcane
As deuxhero said, if you find a lot of herbs, you may be inclined to sell most of them.

I didn't spend anywhere NEAR close to all of what I found, both for the economy (they lose value when you sell too many) and to keep them for my own use.

BobtheTree

Savant
Played a few hours of this. Thoughts so far:

-Like the party management stuff. It's not that hard, but it gives a bit more purpose and intent to exploration and means you've got to keep in mind whether or not you might be overextending.
-I also really like the gear stuff being tied to equipment and something you can easily swap in and out from character to character. Sure, it's not the same as actual proper inventory and gear, but it's a system that means if you end up losing one character, you can switch to another character at a loss of skill, but still have good enough gear they can use to make them viable.
-Combat feels like it's missing one layer of depth. I like the attack of opportunity/flanking, but I wish that maybe each class had a couple of unique abilities, something to make combat a bit dynamic. Right now it just feels purely about positioning and finding that one gap where I can gang up on an enemy or two, kill them, and then roll the rest of the enemies. It's still good, but it also means that some encounters almost feel like I've lost them from the onset because I don't have any sort of crowd control option or special abilities. I know traps are sorta supposed to be this, but it's not quite the same.
-Story is surprisingly well-written so far. Nothing astounding, but a lot of interesting encounters filled with text I want to read instead of just stuff I want to skip so I can go kill more things.
-I like the random encounters. It could use a few more skill checks, but overall it keeps traveling between places interesting and I've yet to feel like I'm wasting time when I have to backtrack for a quest.

Overall, liking it. Could use some more depth, but for a first effort it's good. Also, the atypical setting is a nice change from the overabundance of high-fantasy CRPGS.

:necro:ing this since I have a question for Avonaeon:

What's up with the Gamersgate version of Conquistador? I bought it there quite some time ago but haven't played it yet, since I wanted to wait for the latest patch to arrive. So I checked the game's page today and it is still listed as 1.5. What happen?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most people would have this by now, it has been on innumerable sales.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom