Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If only Obsidian was passionate about doing a 2D Isometric Turn-Based Fallout with Bethesda.... instead of using that shit garbage action game engine....
Let it go, man... let it go.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I've been wondering if a similar scenario to what happened with F3 and New Vegas is possible; if Obsidian would still jump at the opportunity of creating a follow-up game to Fallout 4, with the Metacritic mess and whatnot that they experienced with NV.
Urquhart has said they would love to do another Fallout game, and have discussed it with Bethesda. Apparently the "next gen situation" prevented them from making a deal at the time, but there's hope for the future.

Athelas

Arcane
If only Obsidian was passionate about doing a 2D Isometric Turn-Based Fallout with Bethesda.... instead of using that shit garbage action game engine....
That would assume the choice is theirs. Although who knows, plenty of companies are into making mobile spin-offs of their main titles.

Duraframe300

Arcane

That was part of the deal. Not Obsidians say.

Otherwise the game would have taken longer and Bethesda one of the main reasons Bethesda made the deal with Obsidian is because it was cheap enough to justify.

Duraframe300

Arcane
What Josh Sawyer wants to see in Fallout 4 (pinging Roguey)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...t-new-vegas-lead-designer-want-from-fallout-4

Naturally eyes then turned to 2014 and to the annual summer video game Mecca, E3. But now Bethesda has shot down rumours of a reveal there, too - company mouthpiece Pete Hines tweeting recently that "BGS will not be talking about its next game for a long time". Teasing may be another matter, however, as pictures of the entrance to Fallout's Vault 101 emerge from just-released shooter Wolfenstein: The New Order (via Reddit)."

Sulk.

Still, it brings to the surface the topic of what we'd like a new Fallout game to be. And who better to share their thoughts than Josh Sawyer, lead designer and project director of that other - and most recent - Fallout game, New Vegas.

"Ho! I don't know! My concerns are usually about a couple of things," he told me on Skype earlier this year (I've been saving the quotes for a rainy day).

"Fallout games are best when the choices are - and this applies to role-playing games in general, but Fallout is a more desperate world - more agonising. They feel more appropriate to the post-apocalyptic genre. So I hope that whatever twists and turns the story takes, it's more nuanced than a black-and-white choice."

Take the ending to Fallout 1, he said, warning of spoilers ahead.

(No really: there are Fallout 1 spoilers ahead.)

(Really.)

You save the Vault but you can't live there. "That's a very bitter-sweet type of victory," he said. "Granted, that's not really a choice that you had to make, but that's the course that the story takes.

"Also, you see that in the Road Warrior [Mad Max] films; Max, even when he wins, just goes on being a wanderer. There's that kind of bitter-sweet victory in the difficult choices that people make. Regardless of what the setting is, I would hope that that is a big part of the storytelling of it."

The same thing extends to the mechanics he'd like to see in Fallout 4.

"A lot of stuff I did in New Vegas was to try and make choices feel more impactful and meaningful and to challenge the player," he said. "Some people want to go through the wasteland like a tourist, which is fine - they don't really want it to be super-difficult. They want it to be interesting and engaging, and they want to see a lot of neat stuff and go through a cool story. And that's cool.

"Personally I like things to be a little more challenging," he added, "and there's a segment of players that also want [that]. I don't have any doubt in this."

The final thing that springs to Josh Sawyer's mind is mod support - "one of the greatest things about [Bethesda's] technology".

(Incidentally, one thing that wasn't so great about Bethesda's technology was how New Vegas and Skyrim ran on PS3 hardware - something Josh Sawyer spoke publicly about, much to Bethesda's chagrin. 'Let's hope it works with PlayStation hardware this time around,' I joked. "Yeah," Sawyer chuckled, "I think they'll make sure it does.")

On PC, The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim is a very different game than on console because of mod support. "I hope Bethesda continues to make everything very mod friendly," he said. "How they've worked with the community is... the mod community for Bethesda's games is amazing. I hope they continue to support them because it's really cool."​

In the comments

My hope for Fallout 4 is that they fully realize the quest system they designed and later crippled for Skyrim. The underlying pieces are still there in the code but they apparently tossed it due to deadlines or whatever. If they can bring about that sort of world changing stuff to Fallout, it'd be grand.

Oh yeah, and keep Obsidian away from this one. Talk about terrible villains and horrendous execution. Christ that game was terrible.

:hmmm:

Durwyn

Prophet
In the comments

My hope for Fallout 4 is that they fully realize the quest system they designed and later crippled for Skyrim. The underlying pieces are still there in the code but they apparently tossed it due to deadlines or whatever. If they can bring about that sort of world changing stuff to Fallout, it'd be grand.

Oh yeah, and keep Obsidian away from this one. Talk about terrible villains and horrendous execution. Christ that game was terrible.

:hmmm:

I stopped reading comments sections on mainstream gaming sites long time ago. Constant shifts from sadness through disbelief to pure rage were messing with my mind. Now I'm a different person and cherish this state of mind.

Lemming42

Arcane
The gameplay of New Vegas is weak, but it serves the game fine. Especially since most people spend most of the game in dialogue or travelling, neither of which are hampered by the engine or gameplay unless your computer sucks and you end up glitching out and falling off the map while travelling. You only have to engage in combat (the worst part of the gameplay by far) if you really want to:
new-vegas-messiah-6151.png

Game completed with 0 creatures or people killed. Not my screenshot because I don't have the patience.

Durwyn

Prophet
The gameplay of New Vegas is weak, but it serves the game fine. Especially since most people spend most of the game in dialogue or travelling, neither of which are hampered by the engine or gameplay unless your computer sucks and you end up glitching out and falling off the map while travelling. You only have to engage in combat (the worst part of the gameplay by far) if you really want to:

Game completed with 0 creatures or people killed. Not my screenshot because I don't have the patience.
A huge improvement over predecessors

Cazzeris

So now we can say Fallout New Vegas is like Planescape Torment. They fucked up in combat, but the game is designed to not bother you with lots of battles.

imweasel

Thing is, with exploration being the number one priority for Bethesda's games lately, difficult choices aren't exactly fitting into the picture - that's just the route they've taken.
Except Bethesda repeatedly fails to implement good exploration in their copypasta games, because there is absolutely nothing interesting to find... other than maybe a retarded dragon at the peak of a snowy mountain. If you're into that kind of thing.

Pete Hines said:
BGS will not be talking about its next game for a long time.
Best thing i've read this month. :D

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you give the gameplay format - a bandaided Shithesda design - a pass, then sure. Otherwise, I wouldn't raise it above decent (the narrative design holds it up).

What do you mean by "gameplay format?" Quest design, world design, choice and consequence, character building, faction play, etc. etc... all those are part of gameplay in an RPG, and done extremely well in New Vegas. If you just mean "the engine sucks" then yeah, it does, but there is more to gameplay than that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Fallout New Vegas combat also sucks.

I guess. I played it as a sneaky sniper both times, which really limits how much the engine gets in the way of shooting. It was actually pretty satisfying to pick off enemies, and you felt like your skills mattered because it became easier and easier to remain undetected and one-shot kill from a distance. When going into close quarters though the combat definitely suffered from the shitty engine and lack of enemy AI, and as you level up the enemy HP bloat gets ridiculous.

likaq

Arcane
Despite many problems ( shitty engine, level scaling, way too much combat, way to much hiking, crafting is pointless, combat system is so-so, most locations are full of trash mobs ) FNV is best fallout game when it comes to quest design, story, c&c,, faction play, npc ( one npc for example craig boone have more depth than all npc from fallout 2 combined). Setting wise is second only to fallout 1 imo. And it is the best fallout game graphics wise.
There, I said it.

2house2fly

Magister
I've been wondering if a similar scenario to what happened with F3 and New Vegas is possible; if Obsidian would still jump at the opportunity of creating a follow-up game to Fallout 4, with the Metacritic mess and whatnot that they experienced with NV.
Of course they'd jump at the opportunity, it'd be paying work.

Xeon

Augur
For combat I mostly just stealth. I did that in Fallout 3, NV and Skyrim. Full combat wasn't that fun in Bethesda games for me but stealthing is pretty nice IMO.

I normally wear Leather armor and go sniping and using mines to prepare ambushes after firing Gobi Sniper Rifle because of the sound, Lucky for close combat.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you give the gameplay format - a bandaided Shithesda design - a pass, then sure. Otherwise, I wouldn't raise it above decent (the narrative design holds it up).

What do you mean by "gameplay format?" Quest design, world design, choice and consequence, character building, faction play, etc. etc... all those are part of gameplay in an RPG, and done extremely well in New Vegas. If you just mean "the engine sucks" then yeah, it does, but there is more to gameplay than that.

I mean the overall hands-on gameplay design, the tired FPS combat, the compressed sandbox design (which in my opinion does a great disservice to the feel of the implied scope of the storyline and the world as there is this underlying feeling of "apocalypse in da hood" where everybody's a neighbor)... basically everything inherited from Fallout 3.

I don't know much about the engine (I don't do modding, and I stopped using mods becasue there was more trouble than worth) and frankly I'm not all that interested; but I do think - and this just a pedestrian thought - that they could've, if supported and allowed to, use the same engine and create a game that would've worked very differently (more satisfactory, and more reminiscent of the original series) from Bethesda's iteration.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom