Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Psquit

Arcane
Fallout 4, dont you want it?.

EG

Nullified
I want to believe in greater things than Bethesda's Fallout.

I just hope Bethesda manages to scrape together the few brain cells they have lying around the office and actually manage to figure out that using the Enclave again is fucking retarded, even moreso than it was when they did it in Fallout 3.

Then again, I've also been hoping for decent storytelling ever since Morrowind so yeah.
Vehicle based combat. On rails missions where you man the trunk-turret of a Highwayman or Corvega while outrunning Vertibirds manned by enclave super mutant army.
Do you seriously think that Bethesda can overhaul their POS engine enough for anything moving beyond 10 kilometers per hour to be (relativily) safe from crashing the game?

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I think it'd be really cool if they rebooted the series and decided to just call it Fallout.

Part of me wishes they did that to begin with, but then we would not have received the real Fallout 3 in New Vegas.

You couldn't do this in the main series, for obvious reasons (Americana is central to the game's identity, Bethesda would assfuck any attempt to include a new thematic component), but I think there'd be good potential for a NV style 'same universe spinoff' set concurrently with the events of FO1, but in China. It's plausible that a massively centralised government could have an extremely different reaction to, and recovery from, nuclear holocaust. I'd love to see that done, with a formerly heavily integrated society suddenly having to deal with extreme localised independence for the first time in centuries. Whereas the brotherhood of steel in FO tries to protect the tech, in FO: Shanghai you'd have similar groups trying to preserve books and pieces of centuries-old chinese culture (like the monks in real life who tried to hide, protect and smuggle out cultural artifacts and history books to hong kong as the communist cultural revolution swept in - often paying for it with their lives).

Of course, if it ever were done it would probably be a herp derp equivalent of the Chinese city in FO2. Done well, however, with cultural and history consultants helping the design, it could be awesome: I can just envisage this grey-but-possibly-necessary remnants of the old chinese bureaucracy taking over from the collapsed government, more determined to keep a national order than their US counterparts, but with a local population questioning wondering whether or not they really WANT to re-establish the meritocratic beauracy, or whether they should use this new beginning to adopt a new Chinese culture (individualism? Back to confucionism? Localised governance?). And then, of course, a whole new batch of destructive weapons and radiated horrors springing from the eastern end of the world (perhaps their focus was on genetic alteration rather than laser tech, so you've got genetically altered tigers that were once controlled via brain chips, plaguelands where viral experiments ran rampant once there was no-one left to make sure they were sealed in, etc).

You just want talking Chinese pandas in Fallout after playing Mists of Panderia. ADMIT IT!!!

The general premise sounds cool, but you have to realize that the cultural identity in eastern Asia is so focused on the group (instead of the self) that I highly doubt there would be a race for independent living.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think the American setting is pretty essential to Fallout's tone. People who say "yo set the next one in London" or whatever the fuck are missing half the symbolism and parody, in my opinion. I'm all for a post-apocalyptic RPG set in another country but call it something else, make it... *SHOCK*... a new IP. The bane of the publisher.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
It's because all they know is from Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
Which are shit.

So they want it in London and China. With supermutant invasion under the great wall of china.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Bethesda will introduce dragons and magical 'shouts' with Fallout 4. The coming of your character will fulfill the legendary Steelborn prophecy. A descendant of the mythical 'Brotherhood of Steel' who will take on a cave full of giant Orcs and evil black knights an underground super mutant breeding facility organized and monitored by the Enclave.

Sorry, but I just made myself vomit a little bit into my mouth. I will stop before I cause permanent blindness and brain damage.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
And dragons ARE NOT DRAGONS, hater. They're mutants after the nuclear war, lol! Science-fiction.

Unwanted

HardDeck

Dumbfuck!!
I won't name any names. But I have inside information from a friend who works for Obsidian. He said that Bethesda has contracted them for the next installment of Fallout. Not only that, but they have been given free reign over the entire game. Meaning they decide on the game mechanics, story, etc.
This friend of mine also let slip that Fallout 4 will be set in more than one state, and will use a node map similar to that seen in Fallout 1 & 2 to travel between points of interest.
Why so many changes from the current formula? Apparently, Bethesda Game Studios wants to focus more on The Elder Scrolls series of games and thinks Fallout is better off in Obsidian's hands whom they believe to be better suited to provide the best Fallout experience possible for fans of both the originals and newer titles.
Fallout 4 is not currently in development and isn't expected to be until Obsidian is finished with their current title, "Project Eternity" and any DLC/patches.
So, moving right along, Is there going to be a Fallout 4? We can't say for certain there will be, but I don't see any reasonable company abandoning a popular title thats had recent good sales. I have however had this screenshot apparently from a Skyrim Beta sent to me….
News20Oct1.jpg

Notice the VATS references. Now this isn't a silver bullet that says Fallout 4 is in Secret development, or that it will definitely use the creation engine - quite the opposite, it equally could just be a bit like an appendix held over from Fallout 3/NV. However I think both the creation engine and F4 being in development are likely - Bethesda spent a lot of cash on engine development, and it only makes sense to try and use it multiple times to cover the costs; plus you don't tend to have employees sit around doing nothing if you can help it.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Agent_c/Nukapedia_News_Digest_-_20_Oct_2012

Obsidian Entertainment presents:
Fallout 4

Story:
Chris Avellone, George Ziets

Mechanics:
Josh Sawyer
Tim Cain
:bounce:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Don't believe that. Bethesda wouldn't let such a chance slip to make the next big FO entry themselves, especially since Hot Rod Todd himself enjoyed working on F3 so much. Obsidian, however, is probably gonna make another spin-off/Semi-Addon again.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, not buying it. Those idiots' egos are wayyyyy too fucking big to admit to Obsidian being the better team for the title. They'll make and break Fallout once again, folks. Don't you doubt it for a single, derpy, head-in-a-bucket second.

Also: Hey we didn't pay you for NV but here's Fallout 4 entirely for you, lolz!

Harold

Arcane
Ever since the whole Ausir fiasco, the new Nukapedia is a cesspool full of social-media tards posting bullshit they 'heard from a friend' as news.
Bethesda is in fact even now doing their research in Boston for Fallout 4, recording with the highest precision-tools the day to day conversations of Bostonians, so they can make sure Ghouls of Irish descent and Supermutant MIT researchers speak with the appropiate accents.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Obsidian should approach them to do an Isometric turn-based Fallout spin-off. That is pretty much the only future Fallout I would play. NV was a GREAT game, but that fucking fucking shit engine. gawd.

Ovg

Cipher
And so ITZ is coming again.

I wonder how long will it take for loverslabs to produce a worthy dlc for the next installment in the GOTY OF ALL YEARS series original by Bethesda.

Luzur

Good Sir
some time ago i heard about someone making a Denver mod for Fallout 3.

dunno if they ever finished it, i stopped playing Fallout 3 long before.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Obsidian should approach them to do an Isometric turn-based Fallout spin-off. That is pretty much the only future Fallout I would play. NV was a GREAT game, but that fucking fucking shit engine. gawd.

Fat chance, Beth has to keep an apropriate image. The fanbase expects more of the same, so if a turn based isometric fallout ever happens, it'll be on facebook at best. And Obsidian should focus on PE, and helping with W2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom