Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Gnj01Ju.png
New Vegas with mods looks more next-gen than this. It's a trailer so all i can really comment on is the graphics and they're pretty bad for a supposed PS4/PC/Xbone title. If you compare it to Witcher 3, it really stinks.
American Sniper had better baby tech.

ADQLxFG.gif

Nas92

Augur
So, we all know it's going to be F03 level shit. And yet the whole Codex gonna play the fuck out of it, posting how shit it is over and over again, until the next TES comes around.
Looking at this crappy trailer, this game will make Fallout 3 look like Planescape Torment in comparison.
This trailer is surprisingly shitty, how is this possible? The Skyrim trailer - including the trailers for the Skyrim DLCs - were a million times better than this. I don't understand how you can downgrade this much.

Monkeysattva

Cipher
I don't get people who say it looks OK. To me it looks like Team Fortress 2. And those towns look like they are props. Like someone made them in Roller-coaster Tycoon 3.

pippin

Looks like Bethesda still has a hard-on for the Brotherhood of Steel, eh? Can't wait to see how they fuck with the lore this time around and what shitty excuse they end up using, only to have millions of fanboys fellating them because they don't know any better.

I am really confused, though. In the FO Bible it says there were some FEV experiments before the war, but I think ghouls and deathclaws are a little bit too "after the fact" to be included in a game where it's hinted to be set in the day after the war. People going to vaults and stuff like that. If it's this setting, then the Brotherhood should be seen as "not really good guys".
It's obviously meant to create hype, but I do wish they released at least some general line of the game's plot.
Also, while it hurts to see how FO's name is treated like this, sometimes I wish they just made it into an action game instead of pretending it's an rpg. Make Bethesda release the popamoles and let Obsidian make the occasional FO rpg that I can play for years.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Trailer kind of sucks but some of those city shots look good. I don't get any sense of atmosphere though. Everything's a little too colorful, the music is off, there doesn't seem to be any cohesive art direction.

Lemming42

Arcane
That looked well and truly fucking terrible. The graphics look like a shitty cross betwen Skyrim with a shit ENB and Team Fortress 2.

Is the guy with the hilarious standard-issue American Hero Man voice ("LETS GO PAL") supposed to be the player? If we have a voiced protagonist the comedy value of the shitty dialogue is going up by about 300%.

Quigs

Magister
Looks like Bethesda still has a hard-on for the Brotherhood of Steel, eh? Can't wait to see how they fuck with the lore this time around and what shitty excuse they end up using, only to have millions of fanboys fellating them because they don't know any better.

Fallout 2 hit when I was 14. I loved the Brotherhood of Steel, and figured I'd get their logo as my first tattoo when I hit 25. (Supposedly that's when your skin has settled well enough). FO3 hit when I was 24, and made them out to be a bunch of faggots, so there went that. (Oddly enough, whenever I see someone with a video game tattoo, I feel both embarrassment and disgust for the person. Todd Howard probably helped me look like less of a cunt. So the man isn't a total loss.)

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I have a feeling it won't be set 200 years after the war though.
Yeah, the focus between before and after the nuclear war makes me think this might be a soft reboot, a revisiting of the causes of the war.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
I don't get people who say it looks OK. To me it looks like Team Fortress 2. And those towns look like they are props. Like someone made them in Roller-coaster Tycoon 3.

That's literally it, Team Fortress 2.

Mind status: blown.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The Mad max fury road vibe is very strong with this game. It looks extremely colorful for a Fallout game IMO.
I am not sure why you guys keep referencing Fury Road. I don't get that vibe at all. Where are the allusions to mythology? Where is the severely low-tech society barely scraping by? The repurposing of pre-war tech for new uses?

Fallout 4 looks like it's leaning into more Cyberpunk territory with stuff like MEMORY DEN (you guys don't think those old world snippets were just for the trailer, right?).

I mean the aesthetic only, specifically colors. Fury road changed the dry colors for colorful ones in the final version of the film (A great change IMO). And now Bethesda does the same with a franchise which always had off colors with high contrast letters in green. Coincidence?

mad-max-destacada-2.png

mad-max-fury-road-poster2.jpg

furiosa-cover.jpg

Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Imperator-Furiosa-Wallpaper.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/606105492641841152
"i actually *think* there is, and a fine lad, too, but have left Obsidian to do so"

Whom does he mean?
"i actually *think* there is, and a fine lad, too, but have left Obsidian to do so"

Whom does he mean? It can't be Ferret, because he left Obsidian before F:NV.

Roguey Duraframe300
Jon Burke?
https://twitter.com/IridiumGameDev
"Programmer @BethesdaStudios [????]. Formerly @Obsidian[#FalloutNewVegas, #StickOfTruth, etc.]. Astronomy enthusiast. I rant a lot. Opinions are my own."

pippin

Fallout 2 hit when I was 14. I loved the Brotherhood of Steel, and figured I'd get their logo as my first tattoo when I hit 25. (Supposedly that's when your skin has settled well enough). FO3 hit when I was 24, and made them out to be a bunch of faggots, so there went that. (Oddly enough, whenever I see someone with a video game tattoo, I feel both embarrassment and disgust for the person. Todd Howard probably helped me look like less of a cunt. So the man isn't a total loss.)

Video game tattoos are total cringe. Especially if someone asks you where did you get this idea. However PST tattoos would look cool and are obscure enough for you to create some bullshit story about it instead of saying it's from a video game.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Whom does he mean?

Whom does he mean? It can't be Ferret, because he left Obsidian before F:NV.

Roguey Duraframe300
Jon Burke?
https://twitter.com/IridiumGameDev
"Programmer @BethesdaStudios [????]. Formerly @Obsidian[#FalloutNewVegas, #StickOfTruth, etc.]. Astronomy enthusiast. I rant a lot. Opinions are my own."

Sup Cadius?

uaciaut

Augur
Actually seems to be missing the fallout atmosphere; granted 3 managed to create it mostly via green-tinted filter visual effect but still it's p amazing they actually made it look even more soulless than the previous one, that's one thing i can eternally count on with Bethesda.

Hopefully they'll let Obsidian make a sequel/side-project this time as well, specially with Cain there.
Cain doesn't have to fucking taint his ass with this. He has to take the reigns of Obsidian before they completely fall apart and start to release Kickstarters to fund sequels of every single Troika game & cancelled project that has ever been.

I highly doubt Cain has any interest in taking the reign of any game dev company after what he's been through and would rather just do his shit in a less stressful way.

Also note that you're talking about inexile, Obsidian didn't do a direct sequel of anything yet and even if they did it would still be a better game than anything inexile made. Maybe Torment will prove me wrong though, i hope it will.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks like some combination of Borderlands and Rage graphics, way too much contrast. Trailer is so bad it makes me long for the pissfilter from 3.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How can someone make a trailer so uninteresting? Even the war, war never changes slogen is just puked there between 2 sentences.

SwiftCrack

Arcane

Video game tattoos are total cringe. Especially if someone asks you where did you get this idea. However PST tattoos would look cool and are obscure enough for you to create some bullshit story about it instead of saying it's from a video game.

"Wanna see my Triforce tat, bro?"

Zeronet

Learned

My feels are hurt, as i have a mirrors edge inspired tattoo. :(

On topic, i wonder if there was some fuckup somewhere, they must realise how outdated the graphics look already, especially with Witcher 3's next generation ugly nose tech.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer

I wore a Rune of Torment earring in my ear for, like, 6 years or so (until it got broken). Wasn't the most convenient thing ever as it was pretty big, heavy and got a disposition towards anchoring to different things (who could've guessed), but no one ever recognized it and it got complimented often enough.

pippin

75%-80% of the kids are saying "hey, it's an alpha/beta, it's supposed to look bad"
the rest are complaining about Bioshock vibes.

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
So that's it then. More of the same enclave/brotherhood/supermutants/bethesda-ghouls nonsense in a whole new place. You start in a vault again, and probably have to foil some evil the enclave are cooking up. These people have no idea how to script a bloody fallout game, even after Obsidian gave them a hint.

I'll bet they're even going to have ditched SPECIAL/skill points in favour of some RPG-lite progression system. Can't let the consoletards' minds be overtaxed with too much reading or numbers after all. VATS will probably stay, because that's a nice nod to people who like turn based games, right?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Looks like some combination of Borderlands and Rage graphics, way too much contrast. Trailer is so bad it makes me long for the pissfilter from 3.

The pre-war sequence (that they'll likely use as the intro/tutorial part) is overly colorful on purpose, you can't be subtle when it comes to the mass market.

oipkjt.jpg

llcaed.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom