Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Yabuike

Literate
It looks like Fallout 3 with added dynamic lighting and stern warning from the boss to make it more colourful. Both things were available at the time of development.

Poly count looks similar.

Seerix

Arbiter
It's pretty obvious to me, all the drama with shitty graphics will artificially inflate the ratings and consumer's opinion of the game specifically thanks to all those downgrade hysterias. Bethesda is setting itself as vanguard of honesty and hard work. :)

Crashing, glitches, lack of many basic effects that almost every other modern game had before Skyrim and all the standard failings of gameplay will be again seen as nitpicking and being negative. Also, those "feral ghouls" move so fast and so similarily to those troglodytes from RAGE that simplification of mechanics must have occured.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Poly count looks similar.
You need glasses. Re: color, I'll take vivid over shitty drab any day. Is it as 'ATMOSPHERIC,' perhaps not but I don't play popamole for atmosphere. I play it to pop moles.

Giskard

Augur
Does anyone know if Boston (realworld) has ladders?;) What will Beths excuse be his time? "Ladders are particularly susceptible to nuclear attack, and were all destroyed in the war!"

Ladders, ladders never change!

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Re: color, I'll take vivid over shitty drab any day. Is it as 'ATMOSPHERIC,' perhaps not but I don't play popamole for atmosphere. I play it to pop moles.
I actually agree here. Since I assume we can all agree at this point that the best we can hope for is a fun amusement park that has nothing to do with Fallout, it might as well look like one and not bother preserving any of the old aesthetics.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Re: color, I'll take vivid over shitty drab any day. Is it as 'ATMOSPHERIC,' perhaps not but I don't play popamole for atmosphere. I play it to pop moles.
I actually agree here. Since I assume we can all agree at this point that the best we can hope for is a fun amusement park that has nothing to do with Fallout, it might as well look like one and not bother preserving any of the old aesthetics.

If that's the case, I'd better be able to ride horses in this game

Jozoz

Prophet
f0042437374df25564fd3225a72c7006.png

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Just to be clear, I have absolutely no doubts this game will have:

- Bad writing.
- Nothing even resembling choice and consequence except maybe factions.
- Tons of bugs/glitches.
- A fairly shallow character system.
- [Insert pretty much any other Bethesdurp sin here.]

That said, for people to complain about the graphics especially on the Codex is the height of irony. The graphics are fine. And, no, they aren't Oblivion levels of fidelity.

Increasing the color palette is a good move. There's no scientific reason why the world would looked drab and bleached after some fallout and the passage of time. Sure, colors fade, but not to the extreme point that everything is a hue of either grey or brown.

Lemming42

Arcane

It is pretty confusing that someone who - going just by what they've said in that comment - hasn't played Fo1 or Fo2 considers themselves an authority on "the feeling a Fallout game should have". It's like Fo3 is the first Fallout game and the original games exist only to be referred to when debating whether or not Fo3 is better than NV.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Exactly. The atmosphere in the first two Fallouts was a bit more lighthearted than FO3's dire... everything is grey and we're all fucked tone.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's no scientific reason why the world would looked drab and bleached after some fallout and the passage of time. Sure, colors fade, but not to the extreme point that everything is a hue of either grey or brown.
Don't be dumb. The color scheme of a video game or any other piece of visual art is not chosen for its adherence to photorealism unless that is the specific intention of the work. Fallout has a visual style and primary colors are not part of that style.

I was completely serious when I said it's fine for Fallout 4 to not look like Fallout, because it's unlikely to be Fallout in any way. But at least I recognize that bright colors are a substantial artistic departure from the original games.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There's no scientific reason why the world would looked drab and bleached after some fallout and the passage of time. Sure, colors fade, but not to the extreme point that everything is a hue of either grey or brown.
Don't be dumb. The color scheme of a video game or any other piece of visual art is not chosen for its adherence to photorealism unless that is the specific intention of the work. Fallout has a visual style and primary colors are not part of that style.

I was completely serious when I said it's fine for Fallout 4 to not look like Fallout, because it's unlikely to be Fallout in any way. But at least I recognize that bright colors are a substantial artistic departure from the original games.
FO1 and 2 were more colorful than 3.

Yabuike

Literate
That said, for people to complain about the graphics especially on the Codex is the height of irony. The graphics are fine. And, no, they aren't Oblivion levels of fidelity.

Should we take this attitude of adequacy to narrative? Where does this logic lead genuine talent working in the A/V side of video games?

It is ebullient but efficient to say that there is no additional scene complexity over previous titles except new lighting and haze. It is technical mediocrity that confirms my suspicions around artistic mediocrity.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Should we take this attitude of adequacy to narrative? Where does this logic lead genuine talent working in the A/V side of video games?

It is ebullient but efficient to say that there is no additional scene complexity over previous titles except new lighting and haze. It is technical mediocrity that confirms my suspicions around artistic mediocrity.
Trying too hard.

baturinsky

Arcane
The green filter is to blame for the faded look. With mods like Fellout it's like WHOA, did I take some Jet by mistake, what's with all the colors?
Color? What color? It's colorless even without filter. Because textures are monochromatic shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom