Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
There were no actual real consequences for Megaton, at all in the game. Just some dialogue text.

iirc, you miss out on the local quests you didn't complete (except for Moira's), the town facilities like doctor and merchants (Tenpenny tower has substitutes), and the karma drop will make Regulator parties hunt you down (as opposed to Talon Company parties). Oh, and your dad will say he's disappointed with you later on. Since a good character can still enter Tenpenny tower, there's no real reason to nuke the town other than seeing what happens. If they made it so the guards wouldn't even open the gate unless you already planted the detonator device, it would be better because then you'd be doing it for access to a new town and quests.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
iirc, you miss out on the local quests you didn't complete (except for Moira's),

Yeah for whatever reason Bethesda was like OMG!!!!1111 YOU MUST GET MOIRA'S QUEST. EVEN IF YOU NUKE THE TOWN WE WILL BRING HER MAGICALLY BACK TO LIFE!!!!111 OMG! DON'T MISS OUR AWESUM QUEST!

the town facilities like doctor and merchants (Tenpenny tower has substitutes),

Yep, typical console dumbed down garbage. Don't want to *inconvenience* our retarded console gamers.

and the karma drop will make Regulator parties hunt you down (as opposed to Talon Company parties).

So.... basically nothing changes except a *different* monster now hunts you, that is going to hunt you anyways?

pippin

Doing Moira's quest is more important than blowing up an entire city. This is a very fucked up notion.

At least you can continue the main quest without ever talking to Moriarty (almost wrote Moirarty) or peeking into his computer. My nephew blew up the city as soon as Burke asked him to and then couldn't figure out where to go. :M

Me: "You were supposed to ask around for your dad there. Now you'll have to search blindly."

Him: "uh..."

I didn't stay to see if he found Galaxy News Radio or Rivet City randomly. I know kingcomrade had trouble...

BRING HER MAGICALLY BACK TO LIFE

Ghouls aren't zombies! :cry:

She says she was "out of town". No idea where she went, the closest settlement is Big Town which is too far to be affected and they don't even have traders there. I hope she doesn't mean she was meeting the traveling merchants in front of Megaton's gate, they are just a few steps away...

So.... basically nothing changes except a *different* monster now hunts you, that is going to hunt you anyways?

Regulators are actually a bit easier & more lucrative since they wear dusters (+energy weapons), while Talons wear combat armor (+small and big guns), so from a pragmatic point of view it's better to fight the former. You can avoid either if you stay on Neutral karma, but that's harder than it sounds since the game distributes karma points like candy.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No matter what arguments you can bring for/against Fallout 3 you can't say it's a replayable game
Eh, gonna have to call you on that. Multiple quest resolutions, open world structure, different character builds. I played through three times from beginning to end and had a completely different experience each time.
Is this trolling? You blow up Megaton or you don't, that's it that's the only thing that actually affects the world at all as a real consequence to what you do.
When did I ever say shit about C&C? Is C&C the only thing that creates replay value? Multiple quest resolutions, open world structure, different character builds.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm glad Jaesun let us know FO3 had no C&C. We were all thinking there was some for a minute there. Seriously, bud, relax. Too much tension is bad for the anus. No one here thinks this is a true crpg.

Bethesda developed games boil down to this:

"Oh cool, a cave, wonder what's in it."

And that's all I expect and I'm sure exactly what will be delivered. I don't even think Todd Howard has the pretense that he's making true rpgs.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
iirc, you miss out on the local quests you didn't complete (except for Moira's),
Yeah for whatever reason Bethesda was like OMG!!!!1111 YOU MUST GET MOIRA'S QUEST. EVEN IF YOU NUKE THE TOWN WE WILL BRING HER MAGICALLY BACK TO LIFE!!!!111 OMG! DON'T MISS OUR AWESUM QUEST!

There is a clear rationale behind this, by the way ... unlike everything else in Megaton, Moira's deal is a long-term mission with several "chapters" (as I remember). So if you did 2/3 of it and then wanted to decide the Megaton question, you would have a pretty heavy metagame reason to not blow it up ... all that effort wasted. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it does make sense.

You get a reward for every mission you finish for her, not just the whole quest. So stopping halfway is not a complete loss. You can also end the quest before it even begins by convincing her it's a dumb idea (she goes full depressed aspie and gets a bonus to her Repair, and you get an alternate version of the perk you get for finishing the quest). But it's not even a metagame question - if your character is interested in blowing up the town, it's logical to assume he doesn't care about helping her or anyone else there, or what they could offer him. Same goes for the player, unless you're a mondblut who is just interested in squeezing the maximum amount of EXP from the questgivers before killing them.

So, since it doesn't make much sense to give the player a second chance at completing a quest he's clearly not interested in, I think it's really more of a crutch for the sort of player that has to be protected from himself. Like that intellectual giant that killed Joe Cobb while he was drinking at the bar in Goodsprings only to get pissed at the "Quest Failed: Helping the Powder Gangers" prompt. This is part of the reason we now get "X was knocked unconscious" instead of "THE THREAD OF PROPHECY HAS BEEN SEVERED. PROCEED TO LIVE IN THE WORLD YOU HAVE CONDEMNED TO DESTRUCTION, YOU GODDAMN PSYCHO" (the other part is wandering NPCs being mauled by fauna). Funny thing is that Moira is not even tagged as an Essential character, which means you can murder her just fine if you want to. Just...not with the bomb.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Hmm, you're right, I forgot that the rewards are piecemeal. Still, I think that was their rationale. Didn't want to have you do the first couple chapters and then lose the rest.

Lemming42

Arcane
Is this trolling? You blow up Megaton or you don't, that's it that's the only thing that actually affects the world at all as a real consequence to what you do.

Fallout 3 barely has any consequences but there's multiple paths for most, if not all sidequests. They're often done quite badly but there are obvious branches for each quest. There are some superficial consequences, too - Tenpenny Tower is the one that leaps straight to mind. That one where the ghoul guy wants you to assassinate a bunch of people for their keys plays out reasonably differently depending on what you do too.

Blowing up Megaton also has the consequence of unlocking by far the funniest scene in a game already loaded with hilarity. Blow up Megaton and then proceed with the main quest until you meet Liam Neeson at the purifier for one of the most pants-shittingly Tommy Wiseau-style terrible scenes in videogame history.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I know this is a thread about decline but there is way too apologetic tone regarding fo3 in the last few pages. The first few quests post-goodsprings has more c&c and branching than the entirety of bethesdas efforts.

Cthulhu_is_love

I know this is a thread about decline but there is way too apologetic tone regarding fo3 in the last few pages. The first few quests post-goodsprings has more c&c and branching than the entirety of bethesdas efforts.

No, you misunderstood it. The decline tag should indicate the decline of the whole codex.

Lemming42

Arcane

I don't think anyone denied that or argued otherwise, it's just disingenuous to say that Fallout 3 had no branching at all in its quests.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember reading about some of the stuff you could do with Tenpenny and his henchman Mister Burke after destroying Megaton that sounded kinda cool.

IIRC there's a thing where a female PC can seduce Burke or something and cause him to leave? Bethesda sometimes surprises, putting a clump of a unique scripted stuff where you don't expect it. But it never comes together into a coherent whole like in FO:NV.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Fallout 4 might surprise everyone with its choices and consequences.

imweasel

Bethesda developed games boil down to this:

"Oh cool, a cave, wonder what's in it."
I know what you'll find. Fresh tomatoes, cabbages, potatoes and a bunch of other shit that you don't need because you have enough of everything anyway.

Oh wait, this is Skyrim with guns, so you'll find fancy lad-cakes, iguanas on a stick, beef jerky and noodles.

And that's all I expect and I'm sure exactly what will be delivered. I don't even think Todd Howard has the pretense that he's making true rpgs.
You seem to hate everything other than Todd Howard's garbage, so i'd say that this is pretty hard proof that you don't like RPGs.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Hmm, you're right, I forgot that the rewards are piecemeal. Still, I think that was their rationale. Didn't want to have you do the first couple chapters and then lose the rest.

More like didn't want to let 14 year olds playing on their xbawks get locked out of their achievements.

Seriously what the fuck is wrong with you, defending bethesda?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Also Fallout 3 was clearly the superior experience compared to New Vegas, proof:

2jajn06.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Fallout 4 might surprise everyone with its choices and consequences.

Sure. I might also train my cat to solve quintic equations. I'd say both are about just as likely to happen given the nature of Bethesda and cats.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom