Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kalasanty11

Learned
I wonder what will happen with New Vegas tho? Will it become non-canon? New Vegas was all a dream?
One of the things (well, maybe the only thing) I liked about this trailer. Bethesda staying the fuck away from west coast, maybe just leaving it for better developers. There were some theories that F4 is going to take place in Montana or even Seattle, that got me worried that Beth could be going to fuck up lore of the west. Decent lore and quest design are basically only things I hope for after turning franchise into hiking sim and popamole.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm, you're right, I forgot that the rewards are piecemeal. Still, I think that was their rationale. Didn't want to have you do the first couple chapters and then lose the rest.
More like didn't want to let 14 year olds playing on their xbawks get locked out of their achievements.
Seriously what the fuck is wrong with you, defending bethesda?

There's a difference between explaining a rationale and defending it. Jaesun said "for whatever reason", implying that there was no substantial reason for Moira to survive the bomb. I saw an obvious reason and explained it. That's it.

What, you think Todd Howard and Bethesda are pure, satanic, anti-paladin eeeevil? You're no better than the designers who give you the "choices" of puppy kicking and kitten saving. There's room for thoughtful discussion about their stupid designs, even on the Codex.

uaciaut

Augur
When did I ever say shit about C&C? Is C&C the only thing that creates replay value? Multiple quest resolutions, open world structure, different character builds.

Consequence is kind of the main thing that builds replay value, yes. Whether i kill the humans in tenpenny tower for the ghouls to come in or not doesn't really make any difference, and aside from 3dog's comments on the radio and some karma gain/loss it's a pointless decision.

It's hard to explain but i truely believe Bethesda are completely autistic when it comes to creating a game from a story-telling perspective, it just feels that whatever they try to do is barren.
I mean i can actually imagine their dev meetings going something like
"- So we're building an open world but we have to have these things called quests so the person playing doesn't just throw the game away when he's bored of exploring, so these quests how do we do them?
- Oh we can make something about vampires in, throw a romanian refference, some uber items and make maybe a dramatic buildup or something?
- Maybe a quest about robots with souls and how they're being oppressed but there's a hipster group that wants to protect them, it's like terminator meets the iron giant".

I never felt any of the "factions", characters, etc, maybe some quest ideas were good at the start but hardly any are memorable or interesting and most of the time the choice you do make to bring an end to a quest simply falls down to whether bethesda wants to make you rp someone good (positive karma) or bad (negative karma).

It doesn't even compare to New Vegas, i remember finishing Dead Money actually made me sad and i found all the characters therein to be fucking great. NV had things that irked me as well - HH being kind of soulless (i presume it's Sawyer's hand though i actually think highly of Sawyer as a game dev on some aspects), not really being able to empathize with Ulysses - whom i suspect the devs wanted to seem a lot more complex than he actually is as well, OWB going a bit too dumb with their humour (which i enjoyed up to a point), etc.

Idk how you find F3 to be replayable once you get bored of exploring unless you really want to roleplay somone bad after roleplaying someone good.

Blow up Megaton and then proceed with the main quest until you meet Liam Neeson at the purifier for one of the most pants-shittingly Tommy Wiseau-style terrible scenes in videogame history.

Link me.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Man those bethesda elbows

2ekj14x.jpg

pippin

When I saw that I started noticing all the deformed bodies in NV as well.

I mean, look at this

newvegas_0001.jpg

Lemming42

Arcane
The best part is Liam Neeson's completely bewildered delivery. He must have thought he was in some kind of magnificently-orchestrated prank show where the aim was to get him to read the stupidest lines ever written.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Typical Fallout 3
You found 2 crates, one opened, another with medium lock.
Opened contains 5 mines, closed one is filled with 3 mines.
Because Bethesda.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Consequence is kind of the main thing that builds replay value, yes.
Horsefeathers. There are dozens of reasons to want to replay a game. C&C certainly is one, but not the only one. You want me to list some?

How about you think about the last 5 games you replayed? RPGs or not? Maybe you could link your Steam library so we can see how many hours you've put in on games without C&C. Money, mouth.

Whether i kill the humans in tenpenny tower for the ghouls to come in or not doesn't really make any difference, and aside from 3dog's comments on the radio and some karma gain/loss it's a pointless decision.
Agreed. Remember ... I never said Fallout 3 has substantial C&C. It seems you are hung up on this as the only thing that makes any game replayable. It's possible that that's true for you, but frankly that makes you a weirdo.

Let me interject a personal question, if I may: I notice you have a Wizardry 8 avatar. Great game! I've played it through at least three times. How about you? Did you make one party, stick with it to the end, and then never play it again?

It's hard to explain but i truely believe Bethesda are completely autistic when it comes to creating a game from a story-telling perspective, it just feels that whatever they try to do is barren.
No argument here. Don't make the same mistake others have made and think I'm a Bethesda fanboy who believes Fallout 3 is pure gold.

But this has nothing to do with the subject at hand. Good writing would certainly help, but bad writing doesn't mean the game isn't replayable.

Idk how you find F3 to be replayable once you get bored of exploring unless you really want to roleplay somone bad after roleplaying someone good.
Ah! So there is replay value if you like role-playing in role-playing games. I think the point is made.

And incidentally, the stupid ass karma meter is not the only thing that provides roleplay opportunities in that game. In fact I pretty much ignored it. I didn't play through with a "lawful stupid" character and then a "chaotic stupid" character, or ride the Paragon/Renegade meter for the bonuses. That's not roleplaying.

I'll also repeat that different character builds make for a very different experience. (As one example, I completed the game with only two kills using a stealth character.)

Last edited:

pippin

Many people find FO3 replayable because they find stuff they missed on their previous playthrough(s). This is actually not that rare or even easily avoidable since most stuff is *way* out of your path. I found the Republic of Dave only because 3 Dog talked about it. The building with the Lincoln worshippers, I found that by accident. Which is weird because the first time I played it I missed the GNR bulding because I never managed to find my way through the Metro system, reaching Rivet City first (the wiki states you can visit the Tranquility Lane vault without even going to GNR or Rivet City :retarded:).

Granted, in New Vegas you can skip many paths as well, but at least when you talk to NPCs they reveal important locations. In FO3, you'll find Canterbury Commons and the Oasis through this method, and I don't think those are absolutely important for the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom