Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

SymbolicFrank

Magister
I really hate it when, after you kill a nest of baddies and are all alone, all their stuff is red and you lose karma when you take it, because everyone in the whole world instantly knows you just stole it.

I remember reading about some of the stuff you could do with Tenpenny and his henchman Mister Burke after destroying Megaton that sounded kinda cool.

IIRC there's a thing where a female PC can seduce Burke or something and cause him to leave? Bethesda sometimes surprises, putting a clump of a unique scripted stuff where you don't expect it. But it never comes together into a coherent whole like in FO:NV.

I actually believe, there is like one or maybe two creative people hidden inside Bethesda on some minor positions. Their voice is tiny, but sometimes heard. If you look closely you can see some of their ideas scattered or mutilated. Even in Oblivion we had a painting quest(execution was reversely correlated to the greatness of idea, sadly ), a quest with demons following player around or with invisible village(for those I forgot the quality of execution).
Obviously I may be making shit up. Even a total moron, sometimes can have a good idea.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I remember reading about some of the stuff you could do with Tenpenny and his henchman Mister Burke after destroying Megaton that sounded kinda cool.

IIRC there's a thing where a female PC can seduce Burke or something and cause him to leave? Bethesda sometimes surprises, putting a clump of a unique scripted stuff where you don't expect it. But it never comes together into a coherent whole like in FO:NV.

I actually believe, there is like one or maybe two creative people hidden inside Bethesda on some minor positions. Their voice is tiny, but sometimes heard. If you look closely you can see some of their ideas scattered or mutilated. Even in Oblivion we had a painting quest(execution was reversely correlated to the greatness of idea, sadly ), a quest with demons following player around or with invisible village(for those I forgot the quality of execution).
Obviously I may be making shit up. Even a total moron, sometimes can have a good idea.
Being a creative game dev and working at Bethesda - I can't imagine how depressive that must be.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Being a creative game dev and working at Bethesda - I can't imagine how depressive that must be.

It's not depressive if it pays the bills and then some.

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
Only quests I remember in Fallout 3 looking like something that you would see in the original Fallouts are You Gotta Shoot 'Em In the Head - the one with the ghoul, the multiple mercs and the base with Power Armor. There's also Tenpenny Towers, which was a good quest as well. Outside of that, nothing interesting comes to mind.

Yeah, that was actually quite a good quest even if it was basically a film plot rip off.

Multiple solutions, some non-violent. More than one outcome. Someone must have slipped that in to the finished design while the Shitting Things Up Department were on holiday.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
You could listen to some guy in Tenpenny Tower talk about how he used to travel around, fighting crime, with a ghoul companion (I think there was a radio show in the game about this), and that this companion of his ended up dying in some cave; he mentions this stuff in an off-handed way, and it doesn't start a quest, but you can actually find the cave where the companion died and there is some decent environmental story telling. I thought that was interesting, since it was completely unmarked and you have to keep your eyes peeled to find the location - rather than just following the quest compass like every other fucking quest in the game. I believe there was an unmarked quest or two in Oblivion like this, as well. Maybe the games would be worth playing if every quest were like that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
DARING DASHWOOD! There are actually quite a few of these 'unmarked quests' in FO3. They don't reward experience or anything but they do make for nice set pieces. Other examples:

- the radio broadcast towers you find where you track the strength of the signal to a somewhat hidden sewer entrance (not that far from the tower)
- audio logs of a family that got separated, each has one digit of a code to the entrance to a fortified bunker and the logs are spread across the wasteland at random/obscure locations
- Nuka-cola clear formula 'quest' you find when you stumble on to a corpse in the Nuka-cola plant (there's no breadcrumb or trigger to the quest)
- the non-storyline vaults don't have quests, either, but most tell stories similar to the ones you find in New Vegas
- finding Sydney's (girl who does the Stealing Independence quest with you) father's corpse in a hotel and giving her his final message to her will cause her to give you her modified 10mm machine gun (you can probably just kill her to get it)

Last edited:

<creative-young-intern> We could do so many interesting things with Tamriel, there could be many opposing factions fighting for the throne, similar to the War of the Roses in England, with lots of political intrigue and Byzantine backstabbing and major plot twists around every bend. People love that sort of stuff, just look at Game of Thrones!
<Todd Howard> Don't be silly, young whippersnapper! If we had that kind of plot complexity, it would confuse most of our customers, the kids, the pregnant women, the tired professionals, let's face it, people play games to get away from that kind of stuff! They just want to sit down on their couch, shut their brain off, and BE IN THE TV! Besides, such plot shenanigans might prevent us from doing the things that people expect from a proper Bethesda game, like saving the world, joining every faction in the game with one character, and starting out in prison.
<creative-young-intern> But that's my point, every Bethesda game doesn't have to be like that! We could try something new!
<Todd Howard> ... starts looking off into the distance with a cloudy look in his eyes... Interns, filthy creatures...
<creative-young-intern> ... walks off dejectedly...
<Todd Howard> ... turns to writing team... Say, guys, just in case that naive retard is onto something, let's implement a simple faction system into out next game, say some kind of civil war, where you can only join one side and not both like usually. But, make sure it doesn't get in the way of the good stuff, the dragon fightin' and saving the world!

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Man those bethesda elbows

2ekj14x.jpg
I thought it was a butt.

Harold may have been turned into a tree and/or killed, but at least we'll see some of the classic Fallout 3 characters make a cameo in the sequel!

Who knows...? We could see Moira Brown, Three Dog or the Republic of Dave's triumphant return! Maybe even one of the Little Lamplight kids grown-up? Hopefully the kid with a speech impediment, just imagine if he still has one! Would Liberty Prime be too much to ask? XD

Oh man, I can't wait to see what they've got up their sleeves this time.

Maybe the dog is one of Dogmeat's puppies...?

:desu:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Dive_Rock

this is the unmarked quest I was thinking of. I wonder if it is the same guy who makes all this interesting stuff while the other designers are not looking.

When you search for "unmarked" on the wiki you find a bunch of interesting little things like that. One I liked was a burnt down Alchemist shop south of the imperial city, with some resist fire potions among the loot suggesting it's less of a tragedy and more about the owner being a dumbass. If you pay attention to the sign out front, you'll later recognize the same store in Skingrad, owned by the Hlaalu alchemist that fled to Cyrodiil to avoid being arrested for necrophilia.

I really hate it when, after you kill a nest of baddies and are all alone, all their stuff is red and you lose karma when you take it, because everyone in the whole world instantly knows you just stole it.

Karma is supposed to be your character's overall "morality", so it makes sense that you're judged even if no one saw you. It's messed up because it's tied to your reputation (stuff you did that others should know about) but characters like Lucas Simms or Dad will comment on getting a "bad feeling" about you, which means they don't necessarily know what you did. What doesn't make sense is that taking their stuff is considered a bad thing after killing them (though I suppose that's just the game neglecting to set their objects to "not owned" status, which is what also causes people to recognize random stolen property on sight in the TES games).

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
WAAAAAAAAAAZUP WAAAAAAAAZLANDUUUUUUUUUHS! During the trailer there's a banner for Galaxy News Network. Of course, that could simply be referring to the old pre-war network. Possibly the revived one and 3dog has gotten more radio stations to sign on including the one in Boston. If that's the case hopefully there's someone else who is the main 'DJ' and 3dog just has an occasional promo cut or something.

So Three Dog's hosting a radio show in Boston now? Hmm, maybe they can dig up the Master to be his co-host... then they could have more super mutants.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom