Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Inconceivable

Learned
It's like I said before, Far Harbor proves that Bethesda can write a decent plot, Nuka World proves they don't want to.

Bethesda has a history of releasing big and meaty story DLC that excels over the main game:

Oblivion - The Shivering Isles
Skyrim - Dragonborn
Fallout 4 - Far Harbor

And they have a history of releasing shitty DLC that nobody asked for.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Is there a mod that drastically reduces the number of X-01 suits in the game? Like, limits it to 1?
I really don't like that Advanced Power Armor suits are just littering the wasteland. That's the problem with Fallout 4 really, there's no real care put into it, Beth just did whatever they wanted in an attempt to appeal to the fortnite demographic with immediate gratification. The Advanced Power Armor is an iconic suit of power armor from Fallout 2, much like how the T-51 is an iconic suit of the whole fallout series. It should not be a leveled loot option.
I mean for fucks sake, even Fallout 3 did it better by making the T-51 a special suit of which you could find only two in the game, and the second one is from a DLC. Fallout New Vegas also did it right by making the APA super rare and hard to find. Finding those suits meant something.

In Fallout 4 it's like "well, there's my fourth X-01 sitting out in the middle of nowhere with no sign of Enclave presence. Another one for the collection I guess".
Shits lame man, it's as if Bethesda no longer understands the concept of rare loot.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Is there a mod that drastically reduces the number of X-01 suits in the game? Like, limits it to 1?
I really don't like that Advanced Power Armor suits are just littering the wasteland. That's the problem with Fallout 4 really, there's no real care put into it, Beth just did whatever they wanted in an attempt to appeal to the fortnite demographic with immediate gratification. The Advanced Power Armor is an iconic suit of power armor from Fallout 2, much like how the T-51 is an iconic suit of the whole fallout series. It should not be a leveled loot option.
I mean for fucks sake, even Fallout 3 did it better by making the T-51 a special suit of which you could find only two in the game, and the second one is from a DLC. Fallout New Vegas also did it right by making the APA super rare and hard to find. Finding those suits meant something.

In Fallout 4 it's like "well, there's my fourth X-01 sitting out in the middle of nowhere with no sign of Enclave presence. Another one for the collection I guess".
Shits lame man, it's as if Bethesda no longer understands the concept of rare loot.
Pretty sure the redditbrained mental gymnastics lore justifiers put the X-01 in the same category as the T-60 being yet another "super ultra secret power armor project from 2077" (how many pre-war power armors are we up to that are canonically better than the supposed military pinnacle of power armor that is the t-51b? 4 or 5?), and as far as I know Bethesda has taken that on board with it appearing in Fallout 76 (it might even be the case in 4 itself but it's been a while since I played it, Bethesda just like to have their cake and eat it too by including old Fallout iconography with absolutely no regard as to how something got where it is, the same can be seen with Jet all over 3 and 4) which is far before the Advanced Power Armor project (a post-war power armor) is meant to have taken place in Fallout 2.

The Fallout subreddits really are a hive of autistic posters bending over backwards to insert Bethesda Fallout lore into the series with more attention to detail than Bethesda ever gave their ideas, and they come up with increasingly retarded reasons for things as Bethesda keeps proving they are lazy and don't actually care that much about worldbuilding in Fallout with every entry. It's way easier to just pretend half of Bethesda Fallout doesn't exist when you look at New Vegas, or switch your brain off when playing 4.

I'm guessing we'll be seeing the pre-war mega secret T-99 power armor in Fallout 5, the prototype that was finalized and built 5 minutes before the bombs dropped, in the mega secret New York West Tek laboratory guarded by strain five(?) of conveniently placed super mutants. Then Fallout 6 will have the T-101X power armor prototype, finalized and built 2 and a half minutes before the bombs dropped that you can find in the Chicago Enclave facility.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Pretty sure the redditbrained mental gymnastics lore justifiers put the X-01 in the same category as the T-60 being yet another "super ultra secret power armor project from 2077" (how many pre-war power armors are we up to that are canonically better than the supposed military pinnacle of power armor that is the t-51b? 4 or 5?).
Is that what they actually say to justify it? That's just as asinine, because why the hell is a top secret military prototype just sitting around in some garage in the middle of nowhere where any raider could get it?
T-60 is indeed a load of bullshit that Beth pulled out of their arses. If they had only one or two, sure I can buy it, but standard issue gear for the BoS? Way to shit on the legacy of the T-51 and cheapen the value of pre-war tech.
I don't know what's worse, Bethesda or the horde of sycophants justifying their shitty writing.

It's way easier to just pretend half of Bethesda Fallout doesn't exist when you look at New Vegas, or switch your brain off when playing 4.

Sadly, its very unlikely that we'll get a FNV-level Fallout game, especially after FO76 happened. Can't even rely on modders to keep it alive, as seen by The Frontier which shits on the fluff just as much as Bethesda, except with added degeneracy. Might as well Wipe the Slate Clean at this point.

Last edited:

Razor

Arcane

Horizon unironically. You generally only find power armor frames with maybe a few pieces of rusted metal attached to it. Even the one at the roof of the museum at the beginning had like one leg and one arm piece attached to it.

To upgrade it you need to specialize in metalworks and science and then have various alloys to choose from (steel/aluminum/titanium) which give their own ups/downs.

In the base I have never assembled scavenged anything more then a full set of rusted T-45 with pieces of T-51. Far Harbor was the first time I actually saw T-51 full sets (the Vim! promotional armors) and of course, rusted (aka even weaker then some non PA armors). Never seen a Advanced Power Armor set not once.

Cant say about Nuka World because I have not played it.

Last edited:

Inconceivable

Learned
Skyrim - Dragonborn
Is it that much of an improvement over the base game's plot tho?

Yes it is. But I also think Skyrim is a great game and that Dawnguard was also a great DLC.

Of course, I'm not part of the immaculate avant-garde intelligentsia of RPG Codex that is only tolerant of either ancient-era video games played by Julius Caesar himself or very obscure games created by Russian nuclear scientists in the depths of a missile silo, so my proletarian opinions tend to be frowned upon by the herein reigning elites.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Horizons unironically. You generally only find power armor frames with maybe a few pieces of rusted metal attached to it. Even the one at the roof of the museum at the beginning had like one leg and one arm piece attached to it.

To upgrade it you need to specialize in metalworks and science and then have various alloys to choose from (steel/aluminum/titanium) which give their own ups/downs.

In the base I have never assembled anything more then a full set of rusted T-45 with pieces of T-51. Far Harbor was the first time I actually saw T-51 full sets (the Vim! promotional armors) and of course, rusted (aka even weaker then some non PA armors). Never seen a Advanced Power Armor set not once.

Cant say about Nuka World because I have not played it.
In my first playthrough I found 5 APAs.
One at some evacuation point near the South-East of the map, one at that radar array you had to go to during the Automaton questline, One in some garage at a farm in Nuka World, One at the Nuka-world power plant and one unique variant in a Display case at Nuka-Galaxy.
Maybe they only spawn when you're a high enough level, but the fact that they are even part of a leveled list isn't a good excuse.

I'll have to try Horizons then, how they handle power armor seems more proper.
What else does Horizons change?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Skyrim - Dragonborn
Is it that much of an improvement over the base game's plot tho?

Yes it is. But I also think Skyrim is a great game and that Dawnguard was also a great DLC.

Of course, I'm not part of the immaculate avant-garde intelligentsia of RPG Codex that is only tolerant of either ancient-era video games played by Julius Caesar himself or very obscure games created by Russian nuclear scientists in the depths of a missile silo, so my proletarian opinions tend to be frowned upon by the herein reigning elites.
Oi, I take offense to that.
I'll have you know that I only enjoy the finest of Babylonian RPGs that have undergone holy rituals dedicated to Marduk himself.

Last edited:

Razor

Arcane

Lol well lets put it this way. It has its own wiki and you will need it for certain aspects:

https://fo4horizon.fandom.com/wiki/Horizon_Wiki

From my experience: it brings back a crude skill system in addition to the perk tree alongside specializations that you pick two times: one at lvl 15 and the other at lvl 30. Max level is 30 and by default the perks are limited to 30 (half of original). There is a perk called VANS that allows you to gain up to 30 additional perks (total 60 like in vanilla) with the downside that you lose the passive that comes from not picking it (5% increase of global damage up to 30% max at lvl 30).

The other thing is the health system (can only regen health with special items like bandages, trauma kits for limb damage, in combat with only combat stims that are very rare and hard to make), the improved survival system (diseases, parasites, food and water requirements), the rescaled health system (enemy HP bloat gone, player HP increased significantly BUT its much harder to heal and much more expensive at the doctors. Final result is that ping-pong health bouncy is gone) and finally rebalanced ammo (ammo rare, has separate craft benches, even when speccing in ballistics I regularly have to scavenged materials and return to craft ammo since my ammo drain is net negative).

Cant comment on the revamped settlements because I have not used it.

Seems very complicated but once you start using a lot of it is pretty intuitive. The big guidelines to take away is that

a)plan your general build from the start when you are choosing your SPECIAL distribution, including looking at potential specializations, which require perk preconditions. Some of them are very powerful at lvl 10 special BUT need lvl 20 min to access. You can respec but its expensive (1k caps). Caps are a lot rarer and for example even at lvl 20 (2/3 through leveling) I have accumulated 3k max caps between expenses like buying food, ammo or getting doc to manhandle me.
b)think through the various perk systems and look for potential synergies between them.
c) dont come in expecting fallout tier roleplaying because at the end of the day this is a survival scavenger shooter first and foremost.

I went in blind and after three levels of getting used to it activated the survival difficulty from very hard (adds food water, disease and parasites). The beginning in particular is brutal with no/low ammo and nearly zero health so all the meager caps you managed to scrape together goes straight to the docs big pot of gold.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Lol well lets put it this way. It has its own wiki and you will need it for certain aspects:

https://fo4horizon.fandom.com/wiki/Horizon_Wiki

From my experience: it brings back a crude skill system in addition to the perk tree alongside specializations that you pick two times: one at lvl 15 and the other at lvl 30. Max level is 30 and by default the perks are limited to 30 (half of original). There is a perk called VANS that allows you to gain up to 30 additional perks (total 60 like in vanilla) with the downside that you lose the passive that comes from not picking it (5% increase of global damage up to 30% max at lvl 30).

The other thing is the health system (can only regen health with special items like bandages, trauma kits for limb damage, combat stims that are very rare and hard to make), the improved survival system (diseases, parasites, food and water requirements), the rescaled health system (enemy HP bloat gone, player HP increased significantly BUT its much harder to heal and much more expensive at the docs. Final result is that ping-pong health bouncy is gone) and finally rebalanced ammo (ammo rare, has separate craft benches, even when speccing in ballistics I regularly have to scavenged materials and return to craft ammo since my ammo drain is net negative).

Cant comment on the revamped settlements because I have not used it.

Seems very complicated but once you start using a lot of it is very intuitive. The big guidelines to take away is that

a)plan your general build from the start when you are choosing your SPECIAL distribution, including looking at potential specializations, which require perk preconditions. Some of them are very powerful at lvl 10 special BUT need lvl 20 min to access. You can respec but its expensive (1k caps). Caps are a lot rarer and for example even at lvl 20 (2/3 through leveling) I have accumulated 3k max caps between expenses like buying food or getting doc.
b)think through the various perk systems and look for potential synergies between them.
c) dont come in expecting fallout tier roleplaying because at the end of the day this is a survival scavenger shooter first and foremost.

I went in blind and after three levels of getting used to it activated the survival difficulty from very hard (adds food water, disease and parasited). The beginning in particular is brutal with no/low ammo and nearly zero health so all the meager caps you managed to scrape together goes straight to the docs big pot of gold.
So to use a crude analogy, it's like Stalker?
That's cool. Fallout 4 felt more like an inferior version of Stalker than Fallout anyway.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Is Far Harbor really better than or atleast as good as New Vegas DLCs?
It's much bigger, more akin to proper expansion packs of olde. I'd say the only one it's better than is Honest Hearts, but it's such a tremendous incline over the base Fallout 4 as to be noteworthy.

The Decline

Arcane

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/45665

typical user

Arbiter

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12050

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
That is just hilarious. That and the required mods (T-60 Lore Fix & X-01 Enclave Overhaul) which go out of their way to overwrite the loading screen lore for the T-60 power armor and actively rewrite the inclusion of T-60 and X-01 to make sense in universe. People go to such lengths to have Bethesda Fallout make sense that they rewrite the lore for them in mods. They put all this thought into this stuff where Bethesda has clearly shown they actually just do not care at all because what's the point in stuff making sense in a game with talking mutants and ghouls. If you're playing Fallout 4 for the lore you've already lost, it's a good looter shooter with base building and crafting but turning your brain off is basically a requirement to get enjoyment out of it if you are at all familiar with actual Fallout.

Still better than 3 though.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That is just hilarious. That and the required mods (T-60 Lore Fix & X-01 Enclave Overhaul) which go out of their way to overwrite the loading screen lore for the T-60 power armor and actively rewrite the inclusion of T-60 and X-01 to make sense in universe. People go to such lengths to have Bethesda Fallout make sense that they rewrite the lore for them in mods. They put all this thought into this stuff where Bethesda has clearly shown they actually just do not care at all because what's the point in stuff making sense in a game with talking mutants and ghouls. If you're playing Fallout 4 for the lore you've already lost, it's a good looter shooter with base building and crafting but turning your brain off is basically a requirement to get enjoyment out of it if you are at all familiar with actual Fallout.
Ah, get outta here. It's good fun to rationalize bad writing.

Red Hexapus

Learned

Here's what you're looking for, I hope.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/33094

The Decline

Arcane

Still better than 3 though.

I didn't really care that much about the lore in a Bethesda game, but not having bandits in advanced power armor everywhere is very nice.

Inconceivable

Learned

Here's what you're looking for, I hope.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/33094

Isn't the problem already with the T-51? It's been a while since I played F4, but I think I only found an X-01 pretty late into the game, whereas I always hated the fact that the game puts you in a T-51 within the first 10 minutes of gameplay. And these suits are literally spread all over the wasteland.
I guess it's not inconceivable that you would find such a suit in a crashed chopper, but still disappointing to be given so much power early on, from a game-design perspective.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom