Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Wolfe

Arbiter
kwruIew.jpg

:salute::salute::salute:

Lemming42

Arcane
I have finished the game. The best part of this entire experience was the cathartic joy of clicking "Delete local content" on Steam the instant after I quit the game.

Here's a full but brief review:
I'll look at this game in three ways. Firstly as a Fallout game, secondly as a Bethesda game (compared to Fo3 and Skyrim mainly) and finally as a standalone game. Spoilered due to length, like my dick

As a Fallout game:
It's even further away from Fallout than Fallout 3 was. This is not set in the Fallout universe by any means at all, it's set in a stupid futuristic Boston where every other person is a synth who apparently looks just like a human. Shoehorned in, we have vaults, Super Mutants and ghouls. I didn't even come across any vaults other than the home vault and one other, and they were both very boring. Super Mutants, didn't find any explanation as to why they're in Boston. Suppose it doesn't matter. 99.8% of ghouls you meet are feral ghouls who are, again, just zombies.

On the gameplay side of things, what do you expect in Fallout? Skills which determine how you interact with the world, quests that allow for multiple solutions based on your skills, things like that. This game has none. Skills are gone, and perks don't replace them at all - almost every perk is focused around dealing damage. You ARE playing this as a fighter, you don't have any choice. I avoided combat wherever possible and sneaked as much as I could and my total kill count is about 300 people and 230192830128730 ghouls/animals. Frequently, quests will not proceed until you have killed everyone in an area. If you get them to surrender with the stupid Charisma perk, the game waits until you execute them before allowing you to progress.

This is so far removed from Fallout that you really wonder why they used the Fallout license for it. Fallout 3 was desperately trying to be Fallout and failing, but this doesn't even try.

Let's talk about the amount of choice you have in the main quest, because you don't have any choice at all in all the sidequests I played.

Basically, you get strung along by the game with no agency whatsoever until you reach the institute. At this point, there are three factions: BoS, Railroad and Institute. Joining one gets you the quest to exterminate both of the others. There is no way around this. I joined the Railroad, although that was because they were closest to where I was standing when I got the choice. There is nothing compelling about any of these fucking factions and no reason at all for you to pick any over the other.

Here's how the extermination missions went:
BoS: You have to steal a vertibird and fly to their big airship to explode it. To get the vertibird, you must kill about 20 BoS soldiers. As in, you actually must, because the ship won't take off until you go back inside and kill anyone you missed the first time. When the ship takes off, you're on the minigun, in what might be the first ever turret segment without any enemies in a videogame. You just sit on the turret for a boring 3 minute flight to the airship.

Aboard the airship, you get a disguise. This works about as well as the disguise mechanic in Red Faction 1. If you haven't played Red Faction or don't remember, what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't fucking work. You plant a few charges on the ship and get back on your turret as the airship blows up. No other way to do this.

Institute: Shoot a bunch of unarmed scientists and the Railroad teleport in out of nowhere and shoot some more with you. You have to shoot a bunch of people on the way to the reactor, on which you plany a nuke or something which then cinematically blows up. No other way to do this.

The game deprives you of choice at every turn. You have no control over anything other than which explosion you get to watch at the end. It's truly, utterly pathetic.

In conclusion, this is about as much of a Fallout game as Candy Crush is. Candy Crush is probably closer to Fallout, actually.

As a Bethesda game:
All that's important in a Bethesda game is a wide open world full of dungeons to explore, loot to find and the ability to do things (roughly) your way. This game has none of these. The world feels small and cramped, and has nothing of interest. There are very few actual full-on dungeons, mostly just buildings with a single room with a few raiders inside. Shit on Fallout 3 and Skyrim all you want, but they used Bethesda's formula effectively and were engaging purely as combat-based dungeon crawlers as a result. Fallout 4 exhibits a complete lack of ability on the part of the developers to design dungeons or a fun world to explore.

In Fallout 3, Skyrim and even Oblivion you could do things the way you wanted. I refer mainly to character builds here. Let's take a very quick rundown of all the kinds of ways you could approach combat/quests/dungeons in those games:
Fallout 3 - Combat, Stealth, Speech (there were plenty of Speech checks). Important to note that stealth was viable in this game, whereas it is absolutely not in Fo4.
Skyrim - Melee, Ranged, All the schools of magic, Stealth, or some combination of all of them.

Here's the builds you can have in Fallout 4:
Shooter person

That's all. Every dungeon is navigated on Todd's terms, not yours, and Todd's terms involve lots of tedious shooting until you reach the end of the dungeon, at which there is typically no reward.

In conclusion, Fo4 lacks whatever it was that made F3/Skyrim so good at sucking you in and wasting your time.

As a standalone game:
Let's get one thing straight - you've heard people say the shooting is improved, maybe even good. It's true, the shooting is improved from Fallout 3. It's bordering on being decent. What it isn't good enough for, though, is the 20 hours of nonstop repetitive combat the game will force you in to. Boredom reigns supreme as room after room of headshots and VATS kills drags on and on into eternity. It's an absolutely dull nightmare.

This game has fuck all going for it. This section is so short because I can't write about anything other than combat because that's the entire game. I could write about the story, I suppose, so here:
The story is boring, badly paced, makes little sense and expects you to care about factions who you have little to no info on and even less reason to give a shit about.

In conclusion, honestly don't waste your time. It's a very funny game at times, a lot of the dialogue options were bad enough to make me laugh out loud along with doors that remain locked until you kill everyone in an area, things like that, but you can get that with a Let's Play.

This game is a blight on the universe, a twisted, warped, wretched abomination of a videogame, a gaping chasm of ennui, cackling dementedly as it holds up the name of Fallout. To play this game is to know true Hell. I'm convinced that many of the people defending it are currently very much wearing the Emperor's new clothes, and we can clearly see their microscopic genitals. My only wish is that Todd's castle built on sand will crumble and the force generated by the realization hitting him that he has created one of the most tedious wreckages of a videogame ever conceived will blast all evidence of his miserable wasted life out of the cosmos forevermore.

Overall, 3/10. I don't know what the 3 points are for. :3/5::0/5:

Zerginfestor

Learned
I've got my hands on an unique power fist. On a plus side I instagib everything with one punch, but its still unusable with the power armour, you can only use melee weapons like clubs etc. You can punch in power armour, but these punches are so weak that you are better off with using 10mm pistol.

I'm guessing you can't dual wield said Power Fists which to be honest, the whole "only slap one thing on your damn hand" never made much sense to me. I can understand no dual wielding in guns, or Melee weapons, but Unarmed, where it actually synergies well and provides additional benefits and no penalties? It just seems stupid to not have it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You bought it played for a-shit-ton-of-hours straight.

u loved it m8.
This. 'Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaw shitty game.' Not if you played it for 20+ hours. I uninstalled Gothic 4/Arcania after about four hours.

imweasel

All of the butthurt on Steam and Metacritic about this piece of shit is absolutely glorious. :)

:incline:

imweasel

You can technically "win", i.e. finish the main quest, in any newer Bethesda game in like 30 to 45 minutes.

Yes, it is fucking stupid. I know.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Pretty sure you can beat Fallout 3 in... five or so hours if you ignore everything but the main quest. Even less time if you head to where your dad is in the vault.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I still don't know how that Deathclaw came out of the civic access tunnel. Do they know how to use doors? Was it just hiding there under the manhole?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
But... yes... I agree the game is inexplicably underwhelming compared to Skyrim. I'd have at least expected Skyrim levels of effort into their other major brand. Most Codexers acknowledge that Skyrim was a fairly noticeable improvement over Oblivion. FO4 is a noticeable step back from FO3... and that's saying something. I have no idea what happened. It's amateur and lazy even for Todd and company. I'll go with my first hunch that the Minecraft/building elements took away from quest/encounter/location design.

Quatlo

Arcane
I fucking give up. There are only fetch quests, fetch quests and kill quests. Jesus fucking christ.
I wanted this game to be bad in hilarious way but except standard gamebryo bugs and glitches there was nothing.
Its just anti-hilariously bad, boring hollow shell of a world with randomly generated junk in every container and it buttfucks Fallout lore so hard that even Rocco would run away.

This game lets plays should be the new way to punish offenders here on Codex.
Only joy I felt in this game was sucker punching Piper because she was annoying cunt with essential tag, so even when she turned hostile all I had to do was to sucker punch her again to calm her down.

Waste of bandwith and not worth getting potential chineese botnets on your PC.

Zeriel

Arcane
ZMOcupR.jpg

The feeble mind asks: Why is there a metal pallet and a sofa floating in the air?

The brave mind asks: can we put these everywhere?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom