Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I ended up dropping the game again.

It's clear the Codex review of Fallout 4 was on point, and I quote:

It's a 100+ hour shooter, with all that entails

I was very surprised when yesterday, almost past the 80 hour mark (!!!), I got a Steam achievement telling me I had completed 10 sidequests.
10 sidequests.
...in almost 80 hours.

What. the. FUCK? That's an average of one sidequest every 8 hours. I don't need statistics to tell me most of the time I spent playing Fallout 4 was killing Raiders and Super Mutants, as well as looting "abandoned" buildings (populated by Raiders). But you do need statistics to know that, in 80 hours, I killed 420 human enemies. And the only reason the numbers aren't any higher was because early in the game I avoided combat as Survival makes it very easy for the player to die by bullshit means.

Yesterday I struck me, after I looted my 40th generic store, that the thing I disliked so much about Fallout: New Vegas -the generic assets and locations- was amplified in Fallout 4. Bethesda thought they could get away with reusing assets to create different locations and hoping the amount of enemies could distract you from this. But if you don't fill these locations with compelling stories and NPCs, they are virtually indistinguishable from one another. Yes, I can tell this is a hospital, as much as I can tell this is hardware store and that is a bakery. But it doesn't really matter. Having played Fallout 3 years ago, I couldn't help but notice the similarities between both games. It's as if FO3 was a prototype for Fallout 4. It's not fair to say Fallout 3 was better than Fallout 4, because the truth is anything better about Fallout 3 was an accident: Fallout 4 was the game Bethesda wanted to make all along.

Fallout was a franchise about finding new locations, meeting new people, and doing quests that involved interacting with them and your environment. Fallout 4 is a game about finding new places to loot, meeting new enemies to kill, and no quests to speak of because every quest you are given is an excuse to go somewhere, kill twenty raiders and acquire 1,000 caps just from looting garbage bins, and getting a 200 cap reward for being such a good boy.

Fallout 4 is a game you truly have to play because reading about how bad the game is isn't the same as experiencing it first hand.
No amount of reading could prepare me to bear the awful dialogue, the annoying accents everywhere, the lack of meaningful choices, the repetitive gameplay, the lack of a clear goal whenever you did anything for anyone. I used to frown upon the "kill these Ants" quest in New Vegas, which is one of the lamest in the game. But at least you got a decent REWARD from it. Fallout 4 has never given me something worth calling a reward. Only sound and visual cues that signify something cool or good has happened, but Bethesda forgot to implement it as part of the gameplay.

It's quite telling that of everything Fallout 4 changed in regarding to New Vegas, the only things I genuinely liked were:
  1. The improved gunplay. Which is still lacking.
  2. The improved graphics. Which still look off.
Everything, and I mean everything else.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
There are 191 quests in the base game.

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_4_quests

You're assement is more of a reflection on you as a player than it is the game. With that in mind, you found Fallout 4 to be shit and devoid of interesting things.
Many of which are Radiant quests or part of the Main quest.
Side Quests, there are 35. Which I completed 10 of. And those that weren't a few lines of dialogue, had to do with me going to a location to shoot up a bunch of Raiders.

Isn't it a problem of the game that exploring only leads to more and more combat? I didn't have this problem with other Fallout titles. Hell, I didn't have this problem with The Witcher III, and that game also had plenty of combat.

Silverfish

Arbiter
The improved gunplay. Which is still lacking.

Yeah, F4 gunplay is pretty awful. The pace of combat is weird, everybody's faster and more active than in F3, but the player still feels comparatively sluggish when enemies dart around like mosquitoes on a coke bender. Iron sights are shit on 95% of the guns, with aiming taking up large portions of the screen (try using an Institute weapon and recoil as nearly half your display is taken up by the butt of the gun), which would be fine, except hip firing inexplicably requires perks and weapon mods to be effective. Apparently Doomguy would get his shit pushed in were he to visit Boston. Funny enough, the most enjoyable time I ever had with F4's guns, was when I gave up on shooting, slapped on a bayonet and ran around spearing everything.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Yeah, F4 gunplay is pretty awful. The pace of combat is weird, everybody's faster and more active than in F3, but the player still feels comparatively sluggish when enemies dart around like mosquitoes on a coke bender. Iron sights are shit on 95% of the guns, with aiming taking up large portions of the screen (try using an Institute weapon and recoil as nearly half your display is taken up by the butt of the gun), which would be fine, except hip firing inexplicably requires perks and weapon mods to be effective. Apparently Doomguy would get his shit pushed in were he to visit Boston. Funny enough, the most enjoyable time I ever had with F4's guns, was when I gave up on shooting, slapped on a bayonet and ran around spearing everything.
What's worse is how easy it is to aim in this game.
Now, I didn't like magical bullet spread in F:NV that made you miss shots even if your aim was on point. But FO4 simply shows that without a serious overhaul, FPS gunplay will never be fit for an RPG. My character, a lawyer fresh off the Vault, can easily snipe a Raider without investing a single Perk into weapons... I miss when being bad at firearms truly meant being BAD at firearms.

But what put me off from the game, and caused me to remove it from my Steam library altogether (because refunding wasn't an option and hiding the game wasn't enough) was the fact I didn't care for any character in this game. Not one of them. Which is a complete failure from the writers. Having finished The Witcher III recently, the comparison couldn't be more stark. I cared about virtually every NPC in that game. Even creatures, at times. I never had anything similar happen to me in Fallout 4.

Clearly there was no point in playing the game any further, if it feels I'm just playing it to say I beat it.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
You're assement is more of a reflection on you as a player than it is the game. With that in mind, you found Fallout 4 to be shit and devoid of interesting things.

But what put me off from the game, and caused me to remove it from my Steam library altogether (because refunding wasn't an option and hiding the game wasn't enough)

You are unstable. That is just an overdramatic thing to do.

Silverfish

Arbiter
But what put me off from the game, and caused me to remove it from my Steam library altogether (because refunding wasn't an option and hiding the game wasn't enough) was the fact I didn't care for any character in this game. Not one of them.

The only characters I liked at all were the Bobrovs, since their odd couple act was actually pretty funny.

Just Locus

Educated

Yeah, F4 gunplay is pretty awful.

I love having enemies scale to my level so that by the time I'm at level 90 every enemy takes 4 full magazines to get rid of half of their health bar.
I love having legendary enemies that are already bullet-spongy regenerate their entire health right when it's about to fully drain.
I love how the game lacks a level cap so you can fulfill every single build in a single playthrough.
I love how they neutered the Melee Attack speed which makes it so any melee build eventually turns into a weapons build because any melee fight turns into a slog of rinse and repeating left-click and right-click when the enemy is attacking, with never being able to power attack because it gives the enemy enough time to parry and stagger you.
I love how the weapons view models take up 60% of your screen and your FOV is so restrictive it can damn near cause nausea.
I love how the legendary effects 9 times out of 10 give you some shit MMO-tier item of "10% resistant to [insert commonly spawned enemy]"
I love how the weapons all sound wimpy and the enemies have zero feedback in terms of animations so the gunplay feels about as stimulating as receiving a lobotomy.
I love how most of the perks are just stat increases which is what skills should've done had they not removed it.

I ended up dropping the game again.

It's clear the Codex review of Fallout 4 was on point, and I quote:

It's a 100+ hour shooter, with all that entails

I was very surprised when yesterday, almost past the 80 hour mark (!!!), I got a Steam achievement telling me I had completed 10 sidequests.
10 sidequests.
...in almost 80 hours.

What. the. FUCK? That's an average of one sidequest every 8 hours. I don't need statistics to tell me most of the time I spent playing Fallout 4 was killing Raiders and Super Mutants, as well as looting "abandoned" buildings (populated by Raiders). But you do need statistics to know that, in 80 hours, I killed 420 human enemies. And the only reason the numbers aren't any higher was because early in the game I avoided combat as Survival makes it very easy for the player to die by bullshit means.

Yesterday I struck me, after I looted my 40th generic store, that the thing I disliked so much about Fallout: New Vegas -the generic assets and locations- was amplified in Fallout 4. Bethesda thought they could get away with reusing assets to create different locations and hoping the amount of enemies could distract you from this. But if you don't fill these locations with compelling stories and NPCs, they are virtually indistinguishable from one another. Yes, I can tell this is a hospital, as much as I can tell this is hardware store and that is a bakery. But it doesn't really matter. Having played Fallout 3 years ago, I couldn't help but notice the similarities between both games. It's as if FO3 was a prototype for Fallout 4. It's not fair to say Fallout 3 was better than Fallout 4, because the truth is anything better about Fallout 3 was an accident: Fallout 4 was the game Bethesda wanted to make all along.

Fallout was a franchise about finding new locations, meeting new people, and doing quests that involved interacting with them and your environment. Fallout 4 is a game about finding new places to loot, meeting new enemies to kill, and no quests to speak of because every quest you are given is an excuse to go somewhere, kill twenty raiders and acquire 1,000 caps just from looting garbage bins, and getting a 200 cap reward for being such a good boy.

Fallout 4 is a game you truly have to play because reading about how bad the game is isn't the same as experiencing it first hand.
No amount of reading could prepare me to bear the awful dialogue, the annoying accents everywhere, the lack of meaningful choices, the repetitive gameplay, the lack of a clear goal whenever you did anything for anyone. I used to frown upon the "kill these Ants" quest in New Vegas, which is one of the lamest in the game. But at least you got a decent REWARD from it. Fallout 4 has never given me something worth calling a reward. Only sound and visual cues that signify something cool or good has happened, but Bethesda forgot to implement it as part of the gameplay.

It's quite telling that of everything Fallout 4 changed in regarding to New Vegas, the only things I genuinely liked were:
  1. The improved gunplay. Which is still lacking.
  2. The improved graphics. Which still look off.
Everything, and I mean everything else.

What's worse is how easy it is to aim in this game.
Now, I didn't like magical bullet spread in F:NV that made you miss shots even if your aim was on point. But FO4 simply shows that without a serious overhaul, FPS gunplay will never be fit for an RPG. My character, a lawyer fresh off the Vault, can easily snipe a Raider without investing a single Perk into weapons... I miss when being bad at firearms truly meant being BAD at firearms.

But what put me off from the game, and caused me to remove it from my Steam library altogether (because refunding wasn't an option and hiding the game wasn't enough) was the fact I didn't care for any character in this game. Not one of them. Which is a complete failure from the writers. Having finished The Witcher III recently, the comparison couldn't be more stark. I cared about virtually every NPC in that game. Even creatures, at times. I never had anything similar happen to me in Fallout 4.

Clearly there was no point in playing the game any further, if it feels I'm just playing it to say I beat it.
By the way, I've heard of a settlement that needs our help. I've marked it on your map.

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout 4 is fun to play. Nuff said
Yeah, I agree. Maybe if it wasn't called Fallout people would like it more.
There is a total conversion project that ignore/drop every reference to Fallout universe
Obscurum IV Statesec
You could try it and see if you like F4 gameplay better without preconditioned "it's a Fallout game" expectation of writings and quests.
Be warned that O4S developers are troll writers who really, really like to troll players with reference to communists' terms. I mean, I am not sure if they are communists (from my POV as been living in communist country and favor the idea) but I am damn sure they are trolling you.

Yosharian

Arcane
Fallout 4 is fun to play. Nuff said
Yeah, I agree. Maybe if it wasn't called Fallout people would like it more.
There is a total conversion project that ignore/drop every reference to Fallout universe
Obscurum IV Statesec
You could try it and see if you like F4 gameplay better without preconditioned "it's a Fallout game" expectation of writings and quests.
Be warned that O4S developers are troll writers who really, really like to troll players with reference to communists' terms. I mean, I am not sure if they are communists (from my POV as been living in communist country and favor the idea) but I am damn sure they are trolling you.
Wow that's pretty interesting.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
What's the best anti-level-scaling mod now?

I am not aware of any, but am willing to look into it. What type of anti-level scaling are you looking for? As it stands now, the further south you go, the higher level the enemies will be. It's more area levels really. Maybe you are talking about the gear that drops?

deuxhero

Arcane
What's the best anti-level-scaling mod now?

I am not aware of any, but am willing to look into it. What type of anti-level scaling are you looking for?
All of it. I understand that enemy level is so linked to player level and totally uncapped it will continue to bloat HP even after the PC can no longer increase their damage output. General balance fixes also welcome.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
It should be noted that I actually like level scaling. So there may be other F4 fans better suited than I with this. The bolded mod names are links.

I had a great playthrough with this mod. Perhaps you would too.

Immersive Gameplay
There are no artificial difficulties in Immersive gameplay, there is no illogical and secret empowerment to your enemies, the world is consistent, the world makes sense. And by making the world fair, consistent the gameplay has improved

I had quite a bit of fun with this one. It is immensely popular.

Horizon v1.9
Horizon is a very large full-scale overhaul of Fallout 4 that rebalances and expands the gameplay from the ground up.
It contains thousands of changes, redesigned systems, and new additions to very carefully balance everything together.

This is one I found that seems like it may fit the bill, but I have no experience with.

Fallout 4 Realism Mod
This mod was made with the purpose of dragging every living person, including the player down to the same level. The stats and effects of nearly everything have been changed to make game-play more convincing, brutal, and intense.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
So this is a thing now. As i said in skyrim topic, thanks to voice ai now modders can replace women,woke and cringy characters with some more grounded up choices.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/grounded-commonwealth/#8602723
So basically replace all the women and non-white people with the same white guy? Lmao

Nope its not just the same white guy, they are specifically replaced with your trans father.

Is it that hard to read readme? The mod tries to recreate demographics of 1950s america(which fallout is thematically set in), before hart celler act of non white immigration came to force in the 60s. Not every fantasy piece of art or game has to arrive to the same conclusion of multicultural dystopia.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
it being on moddb is a bit of a stress test - it was already banned on the nexus
moddb kings stay winning!

ind33d

Educated
It's very interesting that Fallout 4 VR is terrible not for technical reasons but because using motion controls to shoot guns with large bullet spread due to them being made of duct tape causes motion sickness. I would have thought Nu-Fallout would be ideal for virtual reality compared to something like Doom

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
So this is a thing now. As i said in skyrim topic, thanks to voice ai now modders can replace women,woke and cringy characters with some more grounded up choices.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/grounded-commonwealth/#8602723
photo_2023-08-14_03-17-14.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom