Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Quatlo

Arcane
I'm not an expert on nukes, but the nuke that goes off at the beginning of the game should've been close enough to kill the main character and their family via shockwave alone at the beginning, shouldn't it?

I know I'm being pedantic, but I'm legitimately curious.
Should have blinded them at least, especially since they were staring right at it.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
/wonders why he's still bearing the Bethestard tag when all of these other Bethestards without tags are actually playing the game... for... 'research purposes of course...

I've discovered most of the biggest bethestards were the ones shitting up the thread with how bad everything looked. The steam group proved it.

Beastro

Arcane
I'm not an expert on nukes, but the nuke that goes off at the beginning of the game should've been close enough to kill the main character and their family via shockwave alone at the beginning, shouldn't it?

Blinded.

Killed by pressure wave. Doesn't matter if they "ducked" down below into the vault, it would have rushed down and fucked their internal organs. This is basically a twist on movies where people just away from a flame on their ass without their lungs being turned to a crisp.

Clothes and top layer of skin burned by heat flash.

Adon

Arcane

I think it also might've been close enough to blow down all the houses nearby, but they're still standing.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I touch a nerve somewhere?
I have no nerves to touch. I don't think this game is particularly good but the tryhards like you who have around half their posts in this thread are pretty entertaining. You've got your Kodex Kredz, bro. No need to keep blathering on. Thread is a magnet for 2015 newfags to try to 'establish' their e-cred here.

Beastro

Arcane
I have no nerves to touch. I don't think this game is particularly good but the tryhards like you who have around half their posts in this thread are pretty entertaining. You've got your Kodex Kredz, bro. No need to keep blathering on. Thread is a magnet for 2015 newfags to try to 'establish' their e-cred here.

You assume that posting on a forum requires much brain power.

I've been busy doing other shit today and found this thread and the steam reviews amusing enough to add to here and there between idle moments.

Also what cred is there with this forum when, as much as it's informative and amusing, still reeks of snobbery and a bazaar confrontational attitude expressed by most veterans of it, you included in your replies to me.

I don't care, but I've been burned (Actually no. That's far, far too strong a word. Simple disappointment does the job. The same kind of casual frustration I have with my cat still not learning to use her paw well enough to open doors on her own without meowing at me to help. It's not a big deal but she and Bethesda should be making some progress) enough by Bethesda's declining quality enough to get a big kick of schadenfreude out of this release and the mainstream reaction.

Last edited:

rado907

Savant
Oh, man, what a turkey! Fallout 4 feels like a decent tech demo pretending to be a game...
I find the game extremely frustrating in two ways - first, Bethesda clearly didn't learn from their mistakes in Fallout 3; and second, the game is just a pain to play.
- The game defaults to the controller if you have one and doesn't even respond to the keyboard & mouse... WTF?
- Like in Fallout 3, the interface is absolutely abysmal. I dread opening any menu.
- The HUD is hideous beyond belief... Even the main menu of the game is spectacularly ugly.
- The main plot is again dumb and tries too hard to give you feelz.
- Combat is retarded and consists of VATS -> headshot -> wait for action points -> repeat. There is no reason to do anything else. If I want to play a shooter I'll go to the Steam library and load up a read shooter. So just like in Fallout 3.
- Aiming in VATS is annoying and difficult. Fair enough. But VATS is only a slow and not a pause, and so I frequently suffer damage while merely trying to aim at the proper body part... WTF?
- Sometimes VATS give me a high change-to-hit, but the PC just empties his magazine into a wall once I click "shoot".
- It takes a few seconds between switching screens on computer consoles. This is incredibly frustrating and makes me avoid consoles like the plague.
- Worse, consoles tend to be infodumps. The developer has voiced every single line in the game - why torture us with printed infodumps? Can't we just have tapes lying on the floor like in other modern games? If I want to read a story I'll go read a book.
- Inventory management is a huge pain and I didn't see a vendor in three hours of play.
- The city-building mini-game is retarded and scavenging is extra dull.
- The NPCs are all wooden and boring. No Sulik here.
- The dog breaks the immersion completely. It constantly eats up mininukes, hails of bullets, and severe mauling - without as much as wincing.
- Progression is completely fucked. A couple of hours into the game I was assaulted by a raider clad in power armor and armed with a mininuke. I shot him to death with my popgun. This was an encounter next to a dungeon that I had to clear for an early quest. The dungeon itself was trivial. At least the Deathclaw at the Museum was a quest encounter...
- Speaking of which, what's this mininuke weapon? A nuke - even a mininuke - would wipe out an entire neighborhood. Why am I being shot at with mininukes?
- There are no cities. In Skyrim, within ten minutes of leaving the intro you enter a real little hamlet. And within the first two hours of gameplay you reach a proper city - one of many. In Fallout 4 the wasteland truly is a wasteland.
- The RPG system is incomprehensible. You have two builds - you can either put points into Perception and Agility and take %dmg perks, or you can put points into Perception and Agility and take %dmg perks. Most stats and perks are useless. The perks menu is gorgeous, though, a work of art.

The only good things about the game are the graphics (quite nice) and the attention to detail poured into the construction of the game-world.

Skyrim was a good game, but this one isn't. For that matter, Fallout 4 is basically Fallout 3 redux. It's the same thing with improved graphics. And that's the problem. There were only two things we could realistically ask for - a game which fixes Fallout 3's problems (like New Vegas) or at least a good Bethesda game (like Skyrim). But Bethesda gave us neither of those two things.

Lesson learned, then - no more preorders. I'll beat this title out of habit and principle... But yeah, in the grander scheme of things Fallout 4 is a failure.

Beastro

Arcane
- Aiming in VATS is annoying and difficult. Fair enough. But VATS is only a slow and not a pause, and so I frequently suffer damage while merely trying to aim at the proper body part... WTF?

That came from peple bitching about it being a pause button in combat giving you an unfair break. There's no ideal solution to VATS, though, beyond removing it.

- Sometimes VATS give me a high change-to-hit, but the PC just empties his magazine into a wall once I click "shoot".

Were the mobs close to you? That happened in the previous games. The calculation doesn't factor in if the mobs underneath your barrel and the model can't bend enough to line it up with the gun.

rado907

Savant
Were the mobs close to you? That happened in the previous games. The calculation doesn't factor in if the mobs underneath your barrel and the model can't bend enough to line it up with the gun.
The problem is that VATS isn't a true pause anymore. So now by the time I shoot, sometimes the enemy has hidden behind cover.
I'm with you, they should have either removed VATS and turned the game into a shooter like Mass Effect or whatever, or implemented true turn based combat. They tried to get the best of both worlds and got the worst of both worlds.

Gerrard

Arcane

And completely destroy all of the houses made out of cardboard.

Zerginfestor

Learned
That came from peple bitching about it being a pause button in combat giving you an unfair break. There's no ideal solution to VATS, though, beyond removing it.

I think they should tweak the VATS to be a scanning system to show the player (provided they have enough time to complete the scan or something) to figure out the best spot for a critical hit, or where to specifically hit for a critical shot. I don't know, just thinking of how to make it seem more 'interesting' besides "lolslowmo, bro"

Zerginfestor

Learned

to be honest, they seem to be so damn close, the very initial blast (I think they're in the Ground Zero blast zone) would've instantly disintegrated them, or melted their skin off and burn their eyeballs to the point they would evaporate from the sockets before dropping dead.

If that wouldn't somehow kill them, the shockwave would flatten their organs, splinter bone from the inside, and they would look like gelatin when the wave hits before going back to their normal-looking form.

Establish E-cred? What the fuck? I logged on after years of lurking because I felt like it would be nice to chat with people on here. What, is this some sort of gang shit now? I'm sure others here also have the same reasoning.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

And not a single post in anything but FO4 threads.

You assume that posting on a forum requires much brain power.
You're certainly proof that isn't the case.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I don't think this game is particularly good but the tryhards like you who have around half their posts in this thread are pretty entertaining. You've got your Kodex Kredz, bro. No need to keep blathering on. Thread is a magnet for 2015 newfags to try to 'establish' their e-cred here.
:butthurt:
What kind of loser actually cares about codex "cred"? It's just bros laughing at a train wreck. Any way you can extract enjoyment out of a bad game is fine. No need to be a snob and ascribe motives based on join dates.

btw, half the reason we started talking about join dates on this forum was because of newfags like you coming over in the oblivion and fallout 3 hype days. thinblood complains about thinbloods. news at 8pm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom