Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Frozen

Arcane
It looks like public toilet in 3rd world countries.

AatqkNE.jpg
Some kind of a lost (and crappy) Daemon Weapon of Slaanesh? Pink-violet color scheme fits the theory.

Beastro

Arcane
Found some Jet laid out on a platter in an old folks home, next to the skeleton of some bed-ridden woman.

Myron was a time traveler. :hmmm:

NV's guilty of that too finding Jet in the vault where everyone was sacrificed.

You can't even say it was left by someone who wandered in there because it was a largely untouched vault and was tucked away.

Some kind of a lost (and crappy) Daemon Weapon of Slaanesh? Pink-violet color scheme fits the theory.

It's one of the UI colour themes, like how the default is Green.

pippin

In NV at least you had an established drug trade with the Great Khans and the Vault 3 Raiders.
You see, everything in NV had an explanation, even if it wasn't in the lore already. In Beth's games everything is so confusing...

NV's guilty of that too finding Jet in the vault where everyone was sacrificed.

You can't even say it was left by someone who wandered in there because it was a largely untouched vault and was tucked away.

Eh, same as finding Septims in tombs that have been untouched since long before Tiber Septim was born I suppose.

Beastro

Arcane
Whenever you get on low health or get a crippled limb the game pauses and a pop up appears that tells you that you need to use a Stimpak. This often happens while someone is shooting at you. So now you have to go press "OK" in the middle of a firefight, and as the game resumes there is a very brief moment where the game doesn't properly record your inputs, which means you often die before you can do anything. This often happens even though you could easily have won if the popup hadn't been there. 95% of all my deaths are because of this. This forces me to constantly quicksave to avoid losing progress. Add this to the loading time and I probably spend more time in loading screens that actual combat.

:hearnoevil:

Also note every bad review mentions NV usually asking why Bethesda didn't take it as a standard and work to improve upon what Obsidian did.

ALOT of them also resent the RPG aspects being gutted, mostly over the central plot of being a parent and how that robs you of any chance of roleplaying anything but a parent.

Last edited:

rado907

Savant
Wow, loaded up the game for the first time, and the mouse + keyboard wouldn't work because the game defaults to my XBox1 controller that I bought to play PES and console ports of action games.

I'm beginning to see what all the whining is about.

Veelq

Augur
Maybe they should have made the main character immortal, just like a dog, to use player's time efficiently ( less reloads ) :smug:

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Yes it fits very poorly with the Super Mutant mentality.

The fact that some of them have suicide bombs hint to the fact that they're organized somehow. Otherwise what would they gain from suicide if not giving their life for whatever organization they're part of.

Small terrorist groups do suicide bombs exactly because they're small and it's how they can get the biggest impact, but the Super Mutant mentality doesn't fit with this. They think themselves better/stronger and just in general superior to humans.

It's not thought out at all. They just thought it would be cool, so they went with it.
We need a mod that that adds ALLAHU AKBARS to suicide bombers. For the sake of more immersun ofc.:lol:

Renegen

Arcane
The dog should aggro and cc everyone so that you have the time to carefully land a few ranged attacks, oh and they should change the name to simply Single Player WoW Ranger 4.

Beastro

Arcane
Posting this review just to show some of the comments to it:

As a huge fan of the Fallout series, I was extremely excited to get this game. I have them all, even Fallout Tactics. As much as I want to love this game, as much as I want it to be an awesome step forward for the series, the truth is: this game is a massive letdown.

The game immediately dips you headfirst into one of the basic flaws of the game: your character is already decided for you. Want to be the empitome of evil that clears out entire towns for caps? Nope, you're a concerned father. Want freedom in dialogue choices? Nope, you're just allowed to straddle shades of being a concerned father. There is literally no room for roleplaying with the choice of a voiced protagonist. Within the opening minutes, the heart of a Role Playing Game is taken from you and never given back. You cannot be a character of your own creation, you just get to change what your concerned daddy looks like. That's it.

The second glaring abortion of this game: skills are gone entirely. Just let that sink in a bit, we're talking what's supposed to be an rpg here and an established system from 5 previous games. Bethesda decided to trash it quite literally. No more intelligence beefing up your skill point gain each level, no more needing to tag skills or focus on what you want to be. Instead it's just completely gone, with tiny slices of it shoe horned into the perks system. You get a perk every level instead, and spend it on the new perks sheet. Perks even feel that much more watered down because of it. It's the only slice left of character specialization in the game, and it doesn't do nearly enough. It's cute looking, but also hides the ridiculous nature of leveling in this game.

Leveling up makes character building pointless anyways. In all past Fallout games, your starting attributes were absolutely vital. It was who you were going to be. Melee oriented? Here comes the strength + endurance. Sneaky sniper? Grab that perception & agility. Then Fallout 4 comes in, and lets you learn that attributes are now nearly pointless from a build standpoint. You can add a stat literally each level, until you're perfect. Gaining stats in previous games was like a holy grail, extremely rare to find, expensive to do, but dear goodness you raised that 1 point in agility. Now you can just eat up extra attributes like popcorn, until you're a jack of all trades and builds.

Another glaring thing that bothered me 8 and a half hours in: I'd already explored half the map quite literally. And I play this game slow, with a terrible side of being a pack rat. I take my time and pick up everything. Heck, I spent an hour and 10 minutes in the tiny Vault 111, just making sure I didn't miss anything. And that's my biggest issue with this game so far: it's absolutely tiny. I later looked back at the map and realized most of the rest I haven't explored was the ocean. You will discover all the locations in the game absurdly quickly, and getting to them is fast. I personally liked the massive empty spaces of Fallout 3. If that's not your cup of tea, New Vegas did a more compact map extremely well. It felt more like an unpopulated wasteland, not to mention journeying there was half the fun. Now you can get anywhere with no planning, and do so in seconds. The worst part? This tiny space is pretty empty. Random encounters are very rare in the time I've played. There's not much of a sense of danger or worry, you'll get there in one piece and most likely never run into anything on the way.

One last tidbit, companions are all in god-mode. They cannot die, ever :/ They also join you with zero effort or next to no dialogue. The game washes your face with this too, 3 minutes into it you're probably already the new general of the Minutemen. You almost never took charge of a faction at all in the previous games, much less this easily.

The 3 things that have changed the most in terms of additions: are gunplay, settlement building, and weapon modification. Let's take a look at them.

Gunplay is most definitely the best improvement 4 has to offer. And when it really comes down to it, that's what this series has now become. It's barely an rpg anymore, it's much more of an action fps now. The controls are tight, the action in shootouts is intense, and vats is no longer a pause button. Bethesda made some right moves here, but even so missed a few basic things. The ai also isn't terribly suited to the new gunplay either, you'll either be up against someone firing out in the open, or have to chase enemies behind a slice of cover. Once in a while they will crouch behind sandbags, or lean from a corner. On the plus side, enemies on the whole are much tougher, especially the legendary ones. There are some great fights to be had, some can last minutes and require you to pull out the last bits of melon or stab a stimpak in while you run away. It's sad, there was some serious potential here.

The weapons look much more like what you'd expect in a post apocalyptic wasteland. The vast majority are put together from pieces of pipe, springs, anything you could grab. I like this compared to the mysterious numbers of pristine pre-war weapons in previous games. The modification system is pretty fun, and it's nice you can tailor guns to whatever you need from them. The same pipe rifle you use to snipe from a distance can totally be remade to churn out armor piercing rounds automatically. Unfortunately, there's 2 big downsides to this new system. First, you can usually find better modified weapons off of enemies than the ones you can make. Secondly, you will have the most powerful weapons early in the game. There's no sense of scaling here, everything you can ever operate is there from the get-go.

Finally, let's talk about settlement building. You can finally manage and run settlements in the wasteland, not to mention build them to the smallest minutia. I've spent hours into this alone, just building up the right amount of crops, beds, etc. It adds some serious meat to an otherwise bare game, and in my mind is the 2nd best change this game did. But even so, it was rather poorly explained to the player. Trying to figure out supply lines, looking around on foot for your workers so you can re-assign them jobs... there's just far too much frustration and wasted time figuring this out. Not to mention the entire mechanic would have benefitted immensely from a freaking menu. How is everything else in the game viewable from your pip-boy, and yet you can't look up what your workers are doing & where? It's really rough around the edges the way it's implemented, I'm hoping modders fix this up, because it has extreme potential for fun.

So when it comes down to it, Fallout 4 is not the masterpiece the hype would have us believe. It's pretty stripped down, well past the point of being an rpg. The game can still be good fun, but I can't honestly recommend it at full price as it is right now. Down the road when it's on sale, and modders have saved Bethesda's butt it could turn into the experience it should have been initially.

*Edit - snap, you can lean! Thanks guys*

BendicoJust now
Wow, what a whiney review. Holy shit. I'm sure Bethesda is very sorry they didn't tailor the game to your every need and expectation. Either a game is fun or not. This game is a shit ton of fun.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Demotay
Critzlez29 minutes ago
Holy shit your expectations are high. And why are you whining about no RPG? Its a game. Fucking play it not because of it being an RPG or not anymore.

ya lookin' at my gut fer?28 minutes ago
@Critzlez, That's pretty much why HL3 can never be released. It could be the concentrated shit of god and people would find something wrong with it, then proceed to sperg over it.

ya lookin' at my gut fer?31 minutes ago
All Bethesda really did was release a video. The 'fans' did their own hype. If you can't control yourself and not handle seeing a game trailer without flipping out and making the game to be bigger than it can ever be, the game is fine. Otherwise, you'll probably never really enjoy anything you get excited for.

"Oh man, I was so hyped for that handjob but all I could think of was the way she wasn't cupping the balls properly and then I went soft"

Emmy_Fackin171 hour ago
wtf are you talking about you can make your OWN character. Dumbass doesnt know how to follow directions.

Zeromus2 hours ago
And here we have the classic definition of Over Hyped kid being disappointed by a very good game.

What you wrote isn't a review. Its your personal, biased, salted.... Very salted point of view. Like 90% of all bad reviews; Mad cuz he didn't get what he wanted...

F off seriously.

TYRONE BIGGUMS3 hours ago
The exploring half the map part is a flat out lie, same with the this not being an rpg anymore, but I like the rest of it.

DeadLock3 hours ago
Why does everyone compare fallout 4 to New vegas and fallout 3? fallout 4 is a good game as it is. Just like battlefront is alright, but if you compare it to battlefield, it isnt much better. Review the game with a bias, not on your own expectations.

Faile5 hours ago
Okay, so I'm a female and am super disappointed that I have to be a father. Fml. What about being a chick? I HATE that.

Beastro

Arcane
Gotta love people's mentality.

Play it for -8 hours: "You can't criticise the game, you haven't played it enough!"

Play it got 8+ hours: "If you hate the game so much why are you playing it so much????"

Shammy

Learned
Sad that people don't realize he is being pretty objective about it, weird that people are just blinded by hype/brand loyalty to see the game for what it is. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering this isn't a new thing at all. :p

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://www.nma-fallout.com/showthread.php?204318-Cabot-House-(SPOILERS)
Wanted to post this for anyone who's completed the Cabot House quest and would like to comment on the content contained within. Total plot spoilers behind the tag so don't read unless you don't care.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Lorenzo Cabot discovered an ancient alien artefact in the Middle-East (think he said Syria or Sumeria or something) that grants him psychic abilities and the rest of the Cabots have been drawing blood from him to use in a serum to keep make them young... for over 400 years.

I literally don't know what to think, I was just sat there dumbfounded as the quest continued at what I was hearing. What has this got to do with Fallout honestly, that ancient aliens created the human race is now a thing apparently. The artefact does exist and it does grant him so weird blast attack thing so it's true to that extant. Possibly the most inane thing that they've ever added. Anyone else played this shit.

It is literally the most retarded shit I have seen played out thus far.

And I honestly thought that the resolution with the quest with Brian Virgil was probably the most egregious thing that occured in-game.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Super Mutant gets cured back to human.

Sorry, forgot to mention that the aliens created the human race. According to these people, but then they have a magic helmet and survive on an immortals blood. Lorenzo was imprisoned for 400 years and says to have studied the sciences, philosophies and arts of the ancient people through a psychic connexion via the helmet.

Last edited:

Alfons

Prophet

1:13- Always nice to see the modders have their priorities straight. Grab it before it costs 5$ gentlemen.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Horse genitals are a niche product and don't have any competition, they can name their price. Market pressures would force the price of nude human mods much lower.

Quatlo

Arcane
Remember guys, enough radiation turns anyone into a ghoul in the bethpizda universe, even when you literally eat a nuke in the face.
5zLdHSE.jpg

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I'm not an expert on nukes, but the nuke that goes off at the beginning of the game should've been close enough to kill the main character and their family via shockwave alone at the beginning, shouldn't it?

I know I'm being pedantic, but I'm legitimately curious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom