Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

ind33d

Educated
I already have 50 hours of Fallout 4 under my belt. It's weird, I didn't expect these many hours compared to The Witcher III (200 hours, still haven't finished Blood and Wine).

My opinion is as follows:
  • The writing is god awful. The dialogue "choices" are unexisting. The latter can also be said for The Witcher III dialogue, but to that game's credit, at least we are talking literally: CDPR didn't give you the illusion of choice, at worst they had you decide in which order you wanted to ask your questions. In FO4, and after installing the Extended Dialogue mod, you see just how empty your options are. This is arguably the worst thing about this game.
  • The Perk system is a travesty. It's not that skills needed replacing: it's that skills needed to be toned down (did players notice any difference between 30 Guns and 31 Guns skills?). Plus, Beth sure made sure that choosing your next Perk was a pain in the ass. I miss the old Perk system so much, there was nothing like quickly browsing your available options on a list.
  • The combat is much improved from New Vegas. I want to say the exploration is much better, but it has its tradeoffs: it's more about finding "nice" locations than it is about finding good stuff.
  • Whereas The Witcher III had too much dialogue and cutscenes, Fallout 4 has too much combat. But fittingly, because TW3's weakest aspect is the combat, and FO4's weakest aspect is the dialogue, so maybe it is a blessing in disguise?
  • So much emphasis on the whole crafting and settlement building, goddamn...
  • The weapons look invariably like shit.
  • And so do many characters.
Now I'm officially qualified to say FO4 is not an RPG. Hurray.
fallout 4 is a 9.5/10 minecraft mod

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Isn't that what we all ask ourselves?

377160_20230708135803_1.png

377160_20230708131622_1.png

377160_20230708225944_1.png

377160_20230708233150_1.png

377160_20230708233847_1.png

377160_20230709000015_1.png

377160_20230709000130_1.png

377160_20230709121005_1.png

377160_20230709160430_1.png

377160_20230709155359_1.png

377160_20230709160128_1.png

377160_20230709160703_1.png

377160_20230709163843_1.png

377160_20230709190238_1.png

"I killed your husband in cold blood, it was a regrettable accident."

377160_20230709192329_1.png

377160_20230709210435_1.png
This exact question is why I only play with SIM settlements.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Anyone tried the Welcopme to Paradise modlist ? I'm looking for a lightweight list that improves aspects of the game without adding much to the original content. Was also thinking about Frost but it might be too survivalish for me, depends of the atmosphere.
Idk about Welcome to Paradise, but FROST is definitely harder core survival (there’s a main plot line but you get no actual quests for it and the main gameplay is being able to move farther and farther out while still surviving) and it’s also not lightweight at all, requiring like five ESPs to function at a basic level and making the overworld run slower. It’s a lot of fun but not what you’re looking for rn.
After checking both modlists size, I saw FROST was weighting only half WtP's size and since I have a very bad internet connection atm I opted for it despite my initial aversion for the survival stuff.

It's true that it's quite hardcore but mostly, lot's of fun. Atmosphere is incredible. It doesn't try to add too much and everything is very well done.

First 2 hours were super frustrating though. Had to start over a few times. Oddly its my fourth char, a total imbecile with 2 int and the idiot savant perk that survived the longest. He's level 6 now, but hum, he's now completely irradiated with an infection and insomnia on top, I don't think he will survive another day lol

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I ended up dropping this thing because titty and ass mods aside, there's not much to the game other than running around a city and shooting raiders/super mutants/ghouls.
It's pretty baffling how Bethesda made a game centered around this and scavenging, and people have the nerve to say it belongs to the same genre as Fallout does. It isn't even the same genre New Vegas is.

Wayward Son

Anyone tried the Welcopme to Paradise modlist ? I'm looking for a lightweight list that improves aspects of the game without adding much to the original content. Was also thinking about Frost but it might be too survivalish for me, depends of the atmosphere.
Idk about Welcome to Paradise, but FROST is definitely harder core survival (there’s a main plot line but you get no actual quests for it and the main gameplay is being able to move farther and farther out while still surviving) and it’s also not lightweight at all, requiring like five ESPs to function at a basic level and making the overworld run slower. It’s a lot of fun but not what you’re looking for rn.
After checking both modlists size, I saw FROST was weighting only half WtP's size and since I have a very bad internet connection atm I opted for it despite my initial aversion for the survival stuff.

It's true that it's quite hardcore but mostly, lot's of fun. Atmosphere is incredible. It doesn't try to add too much and everything is very well done.

First 2 hours were super frustrating though. Had to start over a few times. Oddly its my fourth char, a total imbecile with 2 int and the idiot savant perk that survived the longest. He's level 6 now, but hum, he's now completely irradiated with an infection and insomnia on top, I don't think he will survive another day lol
Yeahhh one of the mods I recommend for FROST is Unlimited Survival to allow you to save without a bed. I know it kinda lowers the hardcoreness but it makes it a lot less frustrating.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, that whole thing where you can only save if you find a bed to sleep in turned me off survival.
Such a mechanic doesn't work too well in a game with such a huge world full of long stretches of nothing and instant-kill enemies.
You might as well just have perma-death with a single save file.

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Yeah, that whole you can only save if you find a bed to sleep in turned me off survival.
Such a mechanic doesn't work too well in a game with such a huge world full of long stretches of nothing and instant-kill enemies.
You might as well just have perma-death with a single save file.
It’s not just that, but the game isn’t really designed around it. If there was a crafted consumable to save or more availability of sleeping spaces it wouldn’t be as bad.
Edit: I really like survival otherwise. With the ability to save it feels like the most proper way to play the game.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I originally played with Unlimited Survival, but then decided to go for the bed system.
Honestly it's not as hard as one would expect, as you can find beds very often. But it's very easy to die out of nothing, i.e. you are handling your own very well until a random mini-nuke/molotov cocktail hits your face, or you accidentally step near a mine.

thesecret1

Arcane
Alright, I gave this piece of shit a solid chance. I forced myself to play as long as I could and reached around 50 hours, using Horizon overhaul (ended up with that after a lot of trial and error with other things. It's far from the best when it comes to combat, but all the other shit it does makes it worth it, imo). Dropping the playthrough now due to being bored out of my skull.
Pros:
- Bethesda finally learned how to level design. Most dungeons had non-linear layout and were fun to navigate
- guns feel better than in their other games
- overworld is filled with content. Maybe too densely, even, especially in the wilderness, but the cities feel great, it's a true warzone
- crafting system is the best of any of their games (changing it to work on base components rather than asking for specific items was the right idea)
- the new power armor system is pretty cool
- some quests have cool structure with multiple outcomes

Cons:
- the removal of skills is decline of enormous proportions (Horizon re-adds them and is worth installing for that alone)
- world building is demented. The entire commonwealth looks like nobody had set foot in there for 200 years and everyone only arrived half a year back and barely had the time to unpack.
- Beth evidently gives zero shit about lore, and frequently contradicts itself. Nothing like hearing a farmer complain about his potatoes not growing, only to later read a terminal stating potatoes have long since gone extinct. There's bucketloads of shit like this, it's like the game had a dozen writers that didn't coordinate whatsoever and had a free hand to make shit up
- all writing in the game is retarded. All of it. Spend 10 seconds thinking about what that NPC told you and you'll find a plothole or other retardation. Nothing ever makes sense, which is a major reason for why quests suck dick. They're all terrible garbage. The better ones send you somewhere that's fun to explore, at least, but none are interesting or fun by their own merits. Which is sad because mechanically, many of them are sound – it's just that they're written by people who seem unable to hold a coherent thought, so it all comes off as "stupid people do stupid things and pay you to be their errand boy".
- factions may as well not exist, they've been gutted so hard it's difficult to even call them that
- the number of settlements (as in actual settlements, not the garbage you build yourself) is tiny, and they contain few NPCs with few quests or dialogue. This isn't a game where you're gonna chat up the NPCs, learn something in town, or do fun quests. This is a game where a gang of 50 sadistic raiders brutally opresses a "settlement" of two people, who ask you to genocide them, and never talk to you afterwards.
- the settlement building is absolute cancer. It doesn't matter how much you mod it – Sim Settlements, Architect, etc. it all merely mitigates the damage. If you choose to engage with this feature at all, you will be rewarded with extreme tedium for no real reward. I built up one (ONE!) settlement, and the prospect of having to do it again (let alone like 20 times, or however many of these spots there are in the game) made me wanna kill myself

The game's a looter shooter with a thin RPG paintjob. As far as gameplay loop goes, it probably has more in common with Borderlands than with other Fallouts (save perhaps Fallout 3, that one was similarly dogshit, but didn't go as far with the retardification as this one did).

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
The game's a looter shooter with a thin RPG paintjob. As far as gameplay loop goes, it probably has more in common with Borderlands than with other Fallouts (save perhaps Fallout 3, that one was similarly dogshit, but didn't go as far with the retardification as this one did).

And yet somehow Beth made 76 even worse, and made a point to expound on the dogshittiest elements of 4.
:negative:

thesecret1

Arcane

And yet somehow Beth made 76 even worse, and made a point to expound on the dogshittiest elements of 4.
:negative:
I thought they outsourced 76 to some random studio?

Silverfish

Arbiter
Bethesda finally learned how to level design. Most dungeons had non-linear layout and were fun to navigate

This was easily the most pleasant surprise in 4. For whatever else I may say about Beth, the Corvega plant is one of the best combat arenas I've seen in any game.

all writing in the game is retarded. All of it. Spend 10 seconds thinking about what that NPC told you and you'll find a plothole or other retardation. Nothing ever makes sense, which is a major reason for why quests suck dick.

The secret to Fallout 4's longevity is replaying every now and then to find stupid shit you missed previously. I maintain that Fallout 3 remains the Plan 9 of gaming, but 4 isn't far behind.

Robotigan

Learned
The game's a looter shooter with a thin RPG paintjob
The next time someone tries to pretend there's any real distinction between these two, I am going to gut them with a spoon. Looting and shooting/stabbing has always been the genre's bread and butter from table top to vidya. Without it, most of these games would be visual novels and walking sims. But CHA players play games exactly like that and--unfortunately for the rest of us--because they love to talk so much, they tend to monopolize all discussion of these games.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
The next time someone tries to pretend there's any real distinction between these two, I am going to gut them with a spoon. Looting and shooting/stabbing has always been the genre's bread and butter from table top to vidya. Without it, most of these games would be visual novels and walking sims. But then a bunch of CHA players who played games exactly like that started acting like they owned the place.
The distinction is that an RPG has more to it than just looting and shooting, a looter shooter does not. There is a pretty big difference between Borderlands and PS:T

Robotigan

Learned
The next time someone tries to pretend there's any real distinction between these two, I am going to gut them with a spoon. Looting and shooting/stabbing has always been the genre's bread and butter from table top to vidya. Without it, most of these games would be visual novels and walking sims. But then a bunch of CHA players who played games exactly like that started acting like they owned the place.
The distinction is that an RPG has more to it than just looting and shooting, a looter shooter does not. There is a pretty big difference between Borderlands and PS:T
PS:T has a uniquely dialogue heavy focus. You know what else it has? Looting and combat.

thesecret1

Arcane
PS:T has a uniquely dialogue heavy focus. You know what else it has? Looting and combat.
Yeah. That's what I've just said, dude.

Wayward Son

I originally played with Unlimited Survival, but then decided to go for the bed system.
Honestly it's not as hard as one would expect, as you can find beds very often. But it's very easy to die out of nothing, i.e. you are handling your own very well until a random mini-nuke/molotov cocktail hits your face, or you accidentally step near a mine.
Yeah but that’s just frustrating and very time wasting especially when you consider that even basic bitch raiders can one tap you in early fallout 4 on survival

Dwarvophile

Liturgist

Yeahhh one of the mods I recommend for FROST is Unlimited Survival to allow you to save without a bed. I know it kinda lowers the hardcoreness but it makes it a lot less frustrating.
It's already part of the Stay Frosty modlist and I activated it with my last character. Only reason why he survived a few levels really.

I really like the atmosphere in Frost, but I do miss the chaotic combats in the more crowded original.

Robotigan

Learned
The point I'm getting at is this isn't new territory for RPGs, it's only a change within the Fallout franchise specifically. Bethesda has never done many branching questlines, in fact FO4 is the closest they've gotten. If this stuff is intrinsic to RPGs, you'd have to throw out a lot of games including Bethesda's entire catalog.

No one hates Fallout 4 for the same reasons. What Bethesda fans, new and old school alike, hate about it are mostly the voiced protagonist and preset character background. These are incredibly common in branching narrative RPGs. To use your example, even something like PS:T--while intentional playing on classic tropes--is still rather heavy-handed relative to Bethesda's usual affair. So this is clearly not the core problem for these types of RPG fans. They dislike it for the same reasons they've always disliked Bethesda's titles. Fallout 4 tried to straddle the line and it didn't pay off.

What convinces me that Fallout fans aren't acting in good faith is that they're very clearly coopting whatever criticisms they can get their hands on even if they're coming from disparate groups who want contradictory things. They're not actually trying to construct what an alternative game might look like because otherwise this strategy of incorporating every possible critique is incoherent.

This is basically just politics (in gaming). Attack your opponent from every possible angle to destroy their reputation. Then use that as leverage to elevate your own candidate. Now luckily, the New Vegas leads themselves don't see it this way. Because usually what follows a populist uprising installing their ideologue into power over the old, technocratic administration isn't very good.

thesecret1

Arcane
The point I'm getting at is this isn't new territory for RPGs, it's only a change within the Fallout franchise specifically. Bethesda has never done many branching questlines, in fact FO4 is the closest they've gotten. If this stuff is intrinsic to RPGs, you'd have to throw out a lot of games including Bethesda's entire catalog.

No one hates Fallout 4 for the same reasons. What Bethesda fans, new and old school alike, hate about it are mostly the voiced protagonist and preset character background. These are incredibly common in branching narrative RPGs. To use your example, even something like PS:T--while intentional playing on classic tropes--is still rather heavy-handed relative to Bethesda's usual affair. So this is clearly not the core problem for these types of RPG fans. They dislike it for the same reasons they've always disliked Bethesda's titles. Fallout 4 tried to straddle the line and it didn't pay off.
Dude, what? Who gives a shit about the voiced protag or his background? The problem is that looting and shooting is the only thing it has to offer! Quests are shit because the writing is shit, 95% of the map is just "Go there and shoot shit up, lmao", there's almost no dialogues (and the ones that are there are shit), and even character development got dumbed down with the cutting of skills! Bethesda's catalog is full of games with shitloads of NPCs to chat up (think of Morrowind, for heaven's sake!), shitload of quests that are sometimes even pretty fun, factions and world building to get immersed in, and of course character development.

What convinces me that Fallout fans aren't acting in good faith is that they're very clearly coopting whatever criticisms they can get their hands on even if they're coming from disparate groups who want contradictory things. They're not actually trying to construct what an alternative game might look like because otherwise this strategy of incorporating every possible critique is incoherent.

This is basically just politics (in gaming). Attack your opponent from every possible angle to destroy their reputation. Then use that as leverage to elevate your own candidate. Now luckily, the New Vegas leads themselves don't see it this way. Because usually what follows a populist uprising installing their ideologue into power over the old, technocratic administration isn't very good.
Are you retarded? What "my own candidate"? You think I have a dude in Bethesda that's primed and ready to take charge right after Todd commits seppuku because people shat on Fallout 4? What populist uprising – interns eating Pete Hines alive and appointing Chris Avellone as the God-Emperor of Bethesda? What the hell am I even reading? Take your pills, schizo.

I think the analogy got a little confusing with the last bit about Sawyer making the next Elder Scrolls announcement wearing Todd's torn leather jacket over his shoulders like a wolf pelt, but he means people will handwave faults in the games they like and magnify faults in the games they don't like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom