Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mods can't fix the worst thing about his game: The UI.
The whole 'pipboy' thing should be classed as a crime against humanity.
And so much else from hacking terminals, to picking perks, to talking to NPCs, to inventory management are not just "Console UIs", but ones even console peasants would detest.
Even the best mods that attempt to deal with any of it are but band aids at best.

Starfield in its current state genuinely has far better building blocks for a decent UI than Fallout 4 has after 8 years of extensive modding.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fuck this game. It's a dog turd and you can smother it in liquid gold, even decorate it with diamonds before the gold hardens. It's still shit at it's core, and if it wasn't for the one game/dev who I promised to never speak of again, Bethesda would be at the top of my shitlist. There is no excuse for these assholes existing when we have From Software around. These other devs are an embarassment to put it lightly.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I hope you are joking, playing FO4 vanilla when there are so many mods out there that improve the game

I'm not joking. I play Beth games specifically because they're broken messes and, consequently, funny. Moreover, a lot of the mods I've seen that "fix" these games are uncreative and just try to shape them into something else altogether. Why do I need a middleman to turn Fallout 4 into CoD when I already have Modern Warfare sitting on the shelf?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The UI wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't because the game showers you in pointless shit, be it armor, weapons, aid items, clutter, trash, etc etc.

I haven't played any game whose UI wouldn't be turned to trash if you suddenly had to sort through 100 items in every category.
As Yosharian said, the game's awful nature is a combination of the trash writing and quests, pointless locations, as well as broken leveling.

The latter is not a matter "you can get perfect at everything", because it's not true (it would take ages to unlock every single Perk). It's a matter of "you can get competent at everything", which is the real issue in a game with lackluster difficulty. Even Survival mode is a fairly easy mode to play, only interrupted by the ocassional bullishit molotovs, grenades, and missile launchers.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I mean for fuck's sake, you can already kill Super Mutants when you are at level 10. In a game where you can easily get to level 50 during a normal playthrough, this is a massive issue.

mold

Novice
Finished my first playthrough of Fallout 4 (no mods, about 160 hours) and I fucking love the game. Never been a fan of Beth stuff so didn't expect that at all. Some thoughts...

- Combat is very fun even if simple and the enemy variety lacking. The movement and weapons feel good. Never liked magical items in non-fantasy settings, but it's a minor annoyance. Still wish they'd gone for something more realistic. Also sad about the lack of different types of ammo. A lot of the gear also looks hideous. I don't use VATS, so too many of the perks seem like useless nonsense. Otherwise I don't hate the perk system even though character building options are very limited.

- Exploration is also fun even though there's not a lot to most of the locations. Some more horror-leaning setups like in Dunwich Borers and the Museum of Witchcraft are pretty cool. But my favorite location in the entire game is Corvega. Really well designed combat area with multiple approaches.

- Not much here for people looking for good stories, but I read books for stories and weak storytelling in games has never bothered me. If I stumble upon something good, then that's just a pleasant surprise. Lore butchery or inaccuracies aren't a big deal either (I love Fallout Tactics, too, btw). Some of the companions here seemed pretty well done. I mostly went around with Danse and really liked what they did with him. It's easier to write more colorful or loud personalities, but I think they got it just right with Danse who's a more grounded character and I feel like he breaks a few molds, too. They could have gone for the stiff moralism of a knight/paladin type character but he's just a good guy with some personal biases and a healthy but not completely inflexible respect for rules. Could have gone for the brash hypermasculine super soldier type but he's not that either. There's a good mix of professionalism and friendliness, toughness and vulnerability, a good depth of characterization achieved with fairly small amount of dialogue and some non-verbal reactions. He's a tragic character but not really defined by tragedy. (Contrast this with someone like Boone from New Vegas - there's barely any character there beyond his loss and trauma and desire for vengeance.)

- Most people seem to consider Far Harbor the best this game has to offer, but while I enjoyed it, I kinda prefer the main game. The quest design is a little better in Far Harbor but the constant fog is somewhat annoying and the limited visibility makes some of the exploration more about following compass markers or map instead of checking out anything interesting actually seen. The inclusion of puzzles was interesting, but that section goes on way too long.

- Nuka World was fine. Siding with raiders didn't really fit my character so I just ended up killing them all. Too bad Gage is tied to that storyline because he seems kind of fun. The park was still decently enjoyable to go through but it also included some of the most extreme unfun I've had in a game (the Fun House in the Kiddie Kingdom).

- Settlement building I first hated, but then sort of started liking at some point. It's clunky as hell and the settlers are fucking useless, but it's okay. Shouldn't have forced it on some quests, though.

- Was unable to complete the Automatron stuff because it kept crashing in the Mechanist's Lair. Other than that I had only two crashes and one case of audio breaking (playing on Linux).

- Didn't try survival mode yet, but it sounds exciting except for the saving restrictions. I wish games just let us customize difficulty.

- I thought I'd hate the voiced protag, but I don't. Limits role playing and too bad if one happens to dislike the acting, but I thought the guy did a decent to good job most of the time and is pleasant to listen to.

- The worst things about this game are the main plot (could have been decent I guess, but it's just never gonna work in a game like this and it was very poorly done) and the inventory system (FFS).

Absolute heresy, I know, but I'd say this is a solid 8/10, even 9/10. Just a thoroughly comfy and fun gaming experience.

Gargaune

Magister
I mostly went around with Danse and really liked what they did with him. It's easier to write more colorful or loud personalities, but I think they got it just right with Danse who's a more grounded character and I feel like he breaks a few molds, too. They could have gone for the stiff moralism of a knight/paladin type character but he's just a good guy with some personal biases and a healthy but not completely inflexible respect for rules. Could have gone for the brash hypermasculine super soldier type but he's not that either. There's a good mix of professionalism and friendliness, toughness and vulnerability, a good depth of characterization achieved with fairly small amount of dialogue and some non-verbal reactions.
Because whoever wrote him decided to lean into the whole Paladin Danse thing. If you stop to think about it, his mannerisms are actually quite close to Keldorn's in BG2 - a compassionate zealot, he's patient with and supportive of his companions, and at the same time he kills "evil" without so much as a second thought. Obviously, Keldorn's an older and wiser figure, but they have the same temperament and inclinations. I've got a slew of problems with Fo4's writing, but Danse's behaviour works well and it's a character archetype I haven't seen too often in recent gaming.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished my first playthrough of Fallout 4 (no mods, about 160 hours) and I fucking love the game. Never been a fan of Beth stuff so didn't expect that at all. Some thoughts...

- Combat is very fun even if simple and the enemy variety lacking. The movement and weapons feel good. Never liked magical items in non-fantasy settings, but it's a minor annoyance. Still wish they'd gone for something more realistic. Also sad about the lack of different types of ammo. A lot of the gear also looks hideous. I don't use VATS, so too many of the perks seem like useless nonsense. Otherwise I don't hate the perk system even though character building options are very limited.

- Exploration is also fun even though there's not a lot to most of the locations. Some more horror-leaning setups like in Dunwich Borers and the Museum of Witchcraft are pretty cool. But my favorite location in the entire game is Corvega. Really well designed combat area with multiple approaches.

- Not much here for people looking for good stories, but I read books for stories and weak storytelling in games has never bothered me. If I stumble upon something good, then that's just a pleasant surprise. Lore butchery or inaccuracies aren't a big deal either (I love Fallout Tactics, too, btw). Some of the companions here seemed pretty well done. I mostly went around with Danse and really liked what they did with him. It's easier to write more colorful or loud personalities, but I think they got it just right with Danse who's a more grounded character and I feel like he breaks a few molds, too. They could have gone for the stiff moralism of a knight/paladin type character but he's just a good guy with some personal biases and a healthy but not completely inflexible respect for rules. Could have gone for the brash hypermasculine super soldier type but he's not that either. There's a good mix of professionalism and friendliness, toughness and vulnerability, a good depth of characterization achieved with fairly small amount of dialogue and some non-verbal reactions. He's a tragic character but not really defined by tragedy. (Contrast this with someone like Boone from New Vegas - there's barely any character there beyond his loss and trauma and desire for vengeance.)

- Most people seem to consider Far Harbor the best this game has to offer, but while I enjoyed it, I kinda prefer the main game. The quest design is a little better in Far Harbor but the constant fog is somewhat annoying and the limited visibility makes some of the exploration more about following compass markers or map instead of checking out anything interesting actually seen. The inclusion of puzzles was interesting, but that section goes on way too long.

- Nuka World was fine. Siding with raiders didn't really fit my character so I just ended up killing them all. Too bad Gage is tied to that storyline because he seems kind of fun. The park was still decently enjoyable to go through but it also included some of the most extreme unfun I've had in a game (the Fun House in the Kiddie Kingdom).

- Settlement building I first hated, but then sort of started liking at some point. It's clunky as hell and the settlers are fucking useless, but it's okay. Shouldn't have forced it on some quests, though.

- Was unable to complete the Automatron stuff because it kept crashing in the Mechanist's Lair. Other than that I had only two crashes and one case of audio breaking (playing on Linux).

- Didn't try survival mode yet, but it sounds exciting except for the saving restrictions. I wish games just let us customize difficulty.

- I thought I'd hate the voiced protag, but I don't. Limits role playing and too bad if one happens to dislike the acting, but I thought the guy did a decent to good job most of the time and is pleasant to listen to.

- The worst things about this game are the main plot (could have been decent I guess, but it's just never gonna work in a game like this and it was very poorly done) and the inventory system (FFS).

Absolute heresy, I know, but I'd say this is a solid 8/10, even 9/10. Just a thoroughly comfy and fun gaming experience.
I rate this :kingcomrade: out of 10

Mitleser2020

Scholar
So this is a thing now. As i said in skyrim topic, thanks to voice ai now modders can replace women,woke and cringy characters with some more grounded up choices.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/grounded-commonwealth/#8602723

This mod is such a thoughtcrime that this Fallout mod reviewer did not dare to name the mod despite covering it.
Many commenters like it, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FESPMrtZG-w

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom