Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Yes, since a lot of people say something it must be true!
That wasn't even your point. You were saying that people were just parroting each other's opinions, now you moved on to "if this many people say it's like that, then it's true". Two completely different things.

The two points are strongly related. The more people parroting the less likely what they're parroting is accurate, which is why you should be extremely skeptical whenever everyone agrees on something.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm not actually going to buy this game. I just know Reddit circlejerking when I see it.

"Sharing an opinion", "parroting an opinion" and "circlejerking an opinion" are all three different things.
  1. Sharing implies people have the same opinion.
  2. Parroting implies people just repeat what others say without knowing any better.
  3. Circlejerking implies people repeat the same opinion time and time again just to feel good about themselves.
The fact is that people share the opinion Fallout 76 is garbage. As if that wasn't enough, even reviewers do.

PorkBarrellGuy

I'm not actually going to buy this game. I just know Reddit circlejerking when I see it. Out of principle I refuse to pay more than $20 for a video game.

Oh my god really now. Enough people call a spade a spade, it's a circlejerk apparently. After all the whinging you have been doing about our, ahem, "circlejerk" I frankly would hope you'd at least put your money where your mouth is and dare to try and prove us wrong, but lo and behold a convenient excuse emerges.

At this point you're basically arguing that it can't possibly be true because... a lot of people say it. You've gone from playing the argumentum ad populum card to doing nothing more than playing a Bizarro World version of the very same thing.

A lot of people think the daytime sky is normally blue in appearance, too. Care to interrupt their circlejerk?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I'm not actually going to buy this game. I just know Reddit circlejerking when I see it. Out of principle I refuse to pay more than $20 for a video game.

Oh my god really now. Enough people call a spade a spade, it's a circlejerk apparently. After all the whinging you have been doing about our, ahem, "circlejerk" I frankly would hope you'd at least put your money where your mouth is and dare to try and prove us wrong, but lo and behold a convenient excuse emerges.

At this point you're basically arguing that it can't possibly be true because... a lot of people say it. You've gone from playing the argumentum ad populum card to doing nothing more than playing a Bizarro World version of the very same thing.

A lot of people think the daytime sky is normally blue in appearance, too. Care to interrupt their circlejerk?

Yes, I'm sure you're one of the two people who have actually played Fallout 76.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

I assume you must have tried to eat your shit in the past. After all, how can you judge its taste without having tried it first?

PorkBarrellGuy

Again, MSPaint comic goes here.

I watched Bethesda squat awkwardly over my plate, excrete a foul-smelling brown substance onto it from their posterior, and now you're assuring me that I need to take a bite before I can say it's shit? Thanks, I can live with the uncertainty.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

Again, MSPaint comic goes here.

I watched Bethesda squat awkwardly over my plate, excrete a foul-smelling brown substance onto it from their posterior, and now you're assuring me that I need to take a bite before I can say it's shit? Thanks, I can live with the uncertainty.

Generally you should try to experience soemthing for yourself before passing judgement on it.

I assume you must have tried to eat your shit in the past. After all, how can you judge its taste without having tried it first?

You're assuming I have an opinion on the quality of the game. I'm not retarded enough to say soemthing is good/bad without playing it. I simply made the point that I am skeptical of the quality of the game due to the massive circlejerking of people who haven't actually played the game themselves. See quoted post above.

PorkBarrellGuy

Generally you should try to experience soemthing for yourself before passing judgement on it.

I can say with a sufficient degree of certainty that I will not enjoy, say, jamming my cock into a lightbulb socket and I can say this without even seeing what happens when you insert non-lightbulbs into the damned thing. The degree of uncertainty that remains is not something that I will lose sleep over. So it is with Fallout 76.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

I can say with a sufficient degree of certainty that I will not enjoy, say, jamming my cock into a lightbulb socket and I can say this without even seeing what happens when you insert non-lightbulbs into the damned thing. The degree of uncertainty that remains is not something that I will lose sleep over. So it is with Fallout 76.

Strawman arguments aren't really helping your case.

PorkBarrellGuy

Strawman arguments aren't really helping your case.

It's only a strawman if you are focusing on the wrong part of the argument. I am comfortable with the level of uncertainty I have in regards as to whether F76 is a dumpster fire or not. I am comfortable with this because Bethesda has demonstrated a clear pattern of disappointing the hell out of me and others. I am made even MORE comfortable with this because I have observed others who DID stick their dicks into that metaphorical lightbulb-socket and were not pleased with the results. I have never seen "Bethesda" on the box and thought "Wow, maybe this might be the game where they turn it around". Bethesda has, at no point, ever given me cause to believe they were either capable or inclined to turn things around.

If I, for some reason, stumble into a candy store clearly marked as such, I am going to expect sweets. I do not go into a clearly-marked candy store hoping for a bloody-rare ribeye. Bethesda has more or less made it clear what they are in the business of selling, and I guess you could say I'm not the target audience.

Turjan

Arcane
Just watch some YouTube vids then. The general impression is that it's very similar to Fallout 4, just without any memorable NPCs. It looks a bit greener, but you could have that also in a modded Fallout 4.
If you enjoyed running around the map, shooting ghouls, super mutants and robots while collecting typewriters and aluminum cans in Fallout 4, then you should enjoy doing the same things here. Just now you are forced to collect those typewriters and aluminum cans because you have to repair your weapons.
Of course, if you have friends to play with, it might be worth a few giggles.

If that sounds enticing to you, go ahead.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
To make an argument for buru - no multiplayer survival game has gotten good scores from journalists. If it is a single-player survival game with some form of story (i.e. The Long Dark) they lap it up, but they don't really get the appeal of the others. Rust, Ark, Conan etc.

It's not a genre they understand, they are not the type of people who play these games.

I don't like Fallout 76 (and yeah I played it because work) but it's not getting low scores because mainstream sites are suddenly being canny about Bethesda's version of Fallout. It's just another game in a genre they dislike (that is also overpriced).

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After year of patches, when they add private servers, modding and the price tag goes below 10$.

I still wont buy it.

Well maybe if there are some nice loverslab mods.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
To make an argument for buru - no multiplayer survival game has gotten good scores from journalists. If it is a single-player survival game with some form of story (i.e. The Long Dark) they lap it up, but they don't really get the appeal of the others. Rust, Ark, Conan etc.

It's not a genre they understand, they are not the type of people who play these games.

I don't like Fallout 76 (and yeah I played it because work) but it's not getting low scores because mainstream sites are suddenly being canny about Bethesda's version of Fallout. It's just another game in a genre they dislike (that is also overpriced).

Conan not getting the 10/10 GOTY reviews you were hoping for?

Forget game journalists, Look at Metacritic User Score, Youtube reviews, Steam reviews and every other metric possible..
The only circle jerking going on is the kids in denial on the FO76 reddit..

This isn't media bias.. it's just a shit game.

EDIT:
Just to clarify what my point is:
Buru's logic is deeply flawed no matter how you spin it - I hope the retard buys it.

After year of patches, when they add private servers, modding and the price tag goes below 10$.

I still wont buy it.

Well maybe if there are some nice loverslab mods.

LoversLab users don't want to play online.. especially not with voice chat.. Think about it.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yes, let the downvoting commence!

hvd1uM0.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom