Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Generic-Giant-Spider

Turn on pacifist(no outgoing damage to other players) mode in the game options to accidentally avoid damaging other players.

My dear Rusty, if a game offers you a choice to hunt another player down and kill them to ruin their gaming experience then by golly you take it.

I only play Double Dragon co-op Mode B, baby.

Codex Year of the Donut
Turn on pacifist(no outgoing damage to other players) mode in the game options to accidentally avoid damaging other players.

My dear Rusty, if a game offers you a choice to hunt another player down and kill them to ruin their gaming experience then by golly you take it.

You do severely reduced damage to other players until they hit you back in adventure mode.

Mud'

Scholar

Thing is, most people who are giving the game a shot will start at level 1.

Starter areas are filled with high level dudes in power armor, the moment you slap their buttcheeks with your weapons, they can literally nuke your ass into orbit.

You need to grow strong first and then you can hurt someone.

Generic-Giant-Spider

It's all mindgames. You show someone you're crazy they'll be less likely to want to fuck with you.

And with proximity voice chat just go in there screaming about Stickdeath.com and you'll ascend to legend in no time.

Cirtdear

Savant
"Heavily branching dialogue. No dialogue wheel, traditional dialogue choices like FO3/NV. Lots of SPECIAL checks."

Nice review. Still pressing X.

Child of Malkav

Erudite

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76s-new-npcs-are-stealing-weapons-from-dead-players/

Fallout 76's new NPCs are stealing weapons from dead players

Fallout 76 is much better now that the Wastelanders expansion has arrived—it populates the world with new human residents, making the game feel much more alive. These new NPCs are a welcome change and it's genuinely nice to see some friendly faces in Appalachia.

Friendly as they are, however, some of these new NPCs have been displaying a disturbing habit for thievery. Several players have reported that during events like Riding Shotgun and Radiation Rumble, NPCs have been stealing from them. Specifically, on more than one occasion when a player was killed during the event, they respawned only to find their best weapon—and all of its ammo, sometimes thousands of rounds worth—was now in the hands of an NPC.

That's right. When you die, an NPC can take your gun and ammo right off your corpse and use it themselves—which is something even other players can't do in Fallout 76.

Surprising AI behavior like this is normally pretty cool to see in games, but these NPCs are unfortunately not giving the weapons back when they're done with them. That's a big problem for players who have spent untold hours acquiring legendary gear that isn't easy to replace.

You can actually see it happen in the video below from Dani Garcia. At the 1:00 mark, the player is killed while participating in an event. After respawning, the player looks through their inventory and weapon wheel to discover that their gatling plasma gun has gone missing. Then, at 2:25 in the video, the player catches up with friendly NPC Marion Copeland, who is now using the very same gatling plasma gun, which she apparently harvested off the player's body.

That's cold, Marion. Ice cold.

And it's especially unfair since Copeland herself can't actually die during the mission, even when the player stands around letting her be overwhelmed by enemies. So, there's no way to loot her corpse and get their stuff back. Once an NPC loots your corpse, it seems, your gear is gone for good.

It's not entirely new behavior—enemies in Fallout games will often pick up and use a weapon if they find one that's better than what they have equipped. I also seem to recall NPCs in Fallout 4 would jump into a player's unequipped power armor to defend a settlement. But they'd at least return it when they were done with it, not keep it forever.

Bethesda is investigating the bug, but in the meantime, if you're heading into an event, you may not want to bring your most precious weapon with you. It could wind up in the pockets of Appalachia's newest residents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Turn on pacifist
The game even gives you a big page informing you about that once you turn lvl5 now. Back when I played it, I had some lvl200+ retard following me around at lvl4, just so he could kill me once I turn lvl5. Joke was on him, I knew about it before and toggled it on before he could react.

Also protip: don't accept group invites. Ever. Especially not from high level players on the other side of the map. It's just ye olde ganking trick.

Yeah, that happens if you just blindly copy/paste AI scripts. Haven't touched the event yet because of that, Codexia is hauling at least 7 precious health decliners around, and you die far too often in this games because dmg bypassed your armor thanks to server hickups.

Codex Year of the Donut
The good parts of FO4 -- such as heavily customizable weapon/armor -- are improved and expanded upon.
Example of what I mean
here's a single weapon(.44 caliber pistol), it has 25 modifications in total(I have 21 unlocked) between 4 mod slots.
vVueliB.png

Note that the weapon itself is a legendary weapon(a fairly weak one -- the number of stars indicate how many special properties it has AFAIK)
Nearly(?) all weapons and armor are able to be modified in a similar fashion. Even your underarmor can be modified.

Some modifications are learned by disassembling weapons of that type, other modifications are learned through plans which are consumed on use.

Codex Year of the Donut
You have to manage your hunger/thirst BTW. There's hundreds of food and drink recipes, a lot of the effects are pretty powerful. I don't have that many yet, here are a few examples.
scrwmLl.png

3FgDAQT.png

If you were curious, the CND bar means Condition: most food and drinks decay over time and become rotten. AFAIK the more decayed it is, the more likely you are to catch a disease upon consuming it. Rotten food is good for turning into fertilizer. Some foods don't decay(notably, a lot of packaged pre-war foods and honey).
The diseases you get are directly related to what caused it e.g., if you get diseases from drinking cream, you'll most likely get some sort of parasites.

Codex Year of the Donut
You have to manage your hunger/thirst BTW. T
Just happened to be dehydrated, so here's what it looks like when you're severely dehydrated(it slowly gets progressively worse)
kbKRXTk.png

Half of my AP is gone and I'm slowly losing HP.
Also, some of my armor is broken(the red icon under AP), I don't have the materials to repair it because they're rare.
Area I'm in is my new camp I've been setting up, BTW.

Hellion

Arcane
Are they useful at least? IN FO4 only a handful of modifications were actually good.

They're pretty much designed to fit specific playstyles by either giving moderate bonuses to 2-3 weapon functions or 1-2 greater bonuses and 1 penalty to something. For example one trigger mod greatly enhances accuracy and critical damage but reduces range, one other increases hip-fire accuracy and reload speed moderately, and so on and so on.

Codex Year of the Donut
You have to manage your hunger/thirst BTW. T
Just happened to be dehydrated, so here's what it looks like when you're severely dehydrated(it slowly gets progressively worse)
kbKRXTk.png

Half of my AP is gone and I'm slowly losing HP.
Also, some of my armor is broken(the red icon under AP), I don't have the materials to repair it because they're rare.
Area I'm in is my new camp I've been setting up, BTW.
Just realized being well fed/well hydrated also provides you with a bonus :M
nhDB77Y.png

Codex Year of the Donut
Got my vendors setup at my camp, time to sit back and wait for people to buy my luxurious items so I can be rich. :obviously:
IRqprlK.png

Also, had radscorpions dig into my camp and attack.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
it has 25 modifications
And most of them are the suck. Nobody needs bash dmg, recoil control or what not.
Calibrated receiver for crit dmg, true X for hip fire accuracy because of VATS.

Sure, you can "play how you want to", but trust me: when you are in your 30-40s, everything has a fuckton of hps and armor and shoots at you from 3 miles away as if you had a klaxon on your head. You will really want to switch to a silenced lever/handmade at that point. Or go Powahamoah, because repairing your normal armor requires ballistic fiber, which is pretty rare at that point. Codexia spent her 40s mostly nekkid, getting ~5 fiber from camp mcclintcock each day does not cut it. :argh:
Plus all the high level players farming will trigger spawns in the divide to be lvl50-62. Have fun with that. :hahano:

Imagine playing a Fallout game and not maxing Luck. Sad!
That's really sad, considering that Luck has all the good stuff. You need 5 to use mutations properly alone, plus 6 for the 2 vat ones.

Codex Year of the Donut
Sure, you can "play how you want to", but trust me: when you are in your 30-40s, everything has a fuckton of hps and armor and shoots at you from 3 miles away as if you had a klaxon on your head. You will really want to switch to a silenced lever/handmade at that point. Or go Powahamoah, because repairing your normal armor requires ballistic fiber, which is pretty rare at that point. Codexia spent her 40s mostly nekkid, getting ~5 fiber from camp mcclintcock each day does not cut it. :argh:
Plus all the high level players farming will trigger spawns in the divide to be lvl50-62. Have fun with that. :hahano:
I'm level 49, I've had no trouble clearing places like whitesprings ghouls since my early 30s. I've been using the same weapon since level 20, btw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom