Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Irata

Scholar
Isn't it one of Bethesda's Fallout tropes, robots carrying on their tasks/maintenance work in a world almost purged from humans.
Someone at Bethesda must have read "There Will Come Soft Rains".

Norfleet

WOHCHjk.png
I like how solving this door intellectually requires only an INT of 4, which is in SPECIAL terms is a notch below average, so like IQ 90 and up, suggesting the problem is really, really obvious.

But you can stilll chimp out anyway.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I like how solving this door intellectually requires only an INT of 4, which is in SPECIAL terms is a notch below average, so like IQ 90 and up, suggesting the problem is really, really obvious.

But you can stilll chimp out anyway.
starting from Fo4, SPECIAL's default value is 1. So INT 1 is an average person, INT 4 is a pretty clever person, INT 10 is a genius, etc.
You can't play as a stupid character in new Fallouts.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
What does that make 'dexi with her 30 INT? The Buttchild of Steven Hawkings and Einstein? :hahano:

To be fair, she does have the "Egghead" mutation, so maybe the fancy hat hides a brain that broke free from the skull.

Codex Year of the Donut
:what:

Ran past some moleminers to get into a mine
"heh I'm safe now"
they followed me inside
I wasn't even aware they were capable of doing that, wasn't that disabled for skyrim & FO4? I think oblivion had enemies that could follow you inside areas

Codex Year of the Donut
typical wastelanders quests have lots of SPECIAL checks for even simple things like shortcuts

WOHCHjk.png

(not related to the quest objective in the top right, completely different door)

How come Kicking the door open requieres Luck and not STR?
Kicking it caused the door to open properly
like hitting something when it doesn't work and it starts working

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Had a bug where the scorchbeast queen decided to follow me back to my camp
That the bestest of bugs. Try doing "Surface to Air" event. If your weapon is good, you can get 6+ sorchbeasts to spawn during that time. Then fast travel to Watoga station -> all 6 rain down on you. :hahano: Well, at least you don't miss loot that wa amirite?

Ran past some moleminers to get into a mine
"heh I'm safe now"
they followed me inside
My all time favorite moment in the game:
Went to the glassed cavern, but ignored the scorchbeast outside. Did not count on Bethesda script copy/paste laziness. The scorchbeast followed me INSIDE the cavern. But, since it obviously could not fit inside, it flew circles "above the ceiling", outside the cell. But occasionally clipped through and screamed at my face.
At the end of the dungeon, she then played pneumatic tube mail with the pond, the only hole in the map. Came out of the pond, left through the ceiling. At least 7 times per second. I couldn't stop laughing, it was really mezmerizing. Then I died. Because there was a second one I forgot about... totally worth it. :obviously:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
FO76 is superior to FO4 because killing the big bad does not remove the KKKlassic Radio from inventory. :obviously:

Would have of been pretty funny tho if that winged mudcrab queen were the radio host. DJ Kw33n Ssss. :hahano:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
People are mostly hating it because it was very hateworthy when it came out, Todd made it easy for everyone. So it was socially accepted, or even required to tell everyone to hate it.
But now it's over 1 year later and people are still making bash videos... because it still brings in the big bucks with minimal effort. Jimquisition did at least 7 videos recycling 5 mins of video over and over earning yuge amounts of money. :salute:

The game did improve in that year tho. It's still a Bethesda game, so you will find a bug every 5 meters if you play. But it is at least on par with Fallout 4 now. Even if that does not mean much.

Worth fiddy bucks? I payed 10 and got the "played for 76 hours" achievment. So if you liked FO4's gameplay, even 50$ would be okay from a $/hour perspective. +M

Myobi

Liturgist
It can't be on pair with Fallout 4, just for the simple reason you can't mod it.

Edited: Hey Rusty_sheap, I'm not really counting shit like adding NPCs, stealing other player's inventory, changing other players store prices, god mode, aim bot, radar cheats as mods, although they are, technically, I'm talking about the kind that fixes well-known bugs that have been there for over a decade that Bethesda never bothered fixing kind of mods.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
It can't be on pair with Fallout 4, just for the simple reason you can't mod it.

Edited: Hey Rusty_sheap, I'm not really counting shit like adding NPCs, stealing other player's inventory, changing other players store prices, god mode, aim bot, radar cheats as mods, although they are, technically, I'm talking about the kind that fixes well-known bugs that have been there for over a decade that Bethesda never bothered fixing kind of mods.
Not for long. Server76 is making a great deal of progress and that will essentially allow you to host your own modded servers on custom maps and everything.
Also like Elder Scrolls Online, this is a game that I can deal with being unmoddable in the meantime. Could the modding community significantly improve this? Yes, but I don't feel like 76 is unplayable without mods unlike Fallout 4 which I can't tolerate vanilla at all.

Speaking of bugs that have existed since Bethesda started using Gamebryo, I still think that people have unduly nailed this game to the fucking cross. 76 doesn't exist in a vacuum. We were clearly headed towards something like this for a long time and the bugs/engine in general have been a problem for a long time. Where the fuck were these outrage Youtuber cunts when Fallout 4 and Skyrim released?

I can at least respect someone who shit on Oblivion/Fallout 3/Skyrim/Fallout 4 but people who shit on 76 that loved Fallout 4? Especially when it comes to complaints about bugginess. The same bugs in 76 existed in Fallout 4.

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist
Not for long. Server76 is making a great deal of progress and that will essentially allow you to host your own modded servers on custom maps and everything.

They spoke about that shit early on when the game was released, still waiting on it...

Meanwhile we got a monthly shit ass subscription just to get a private session ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also like Elder Scrolls Online, this is a game that I can deal with being unmoddable in the meantime. Could the modding community significantly improve this? Yes, but I don't feel like 76 is unplayable without mods unlike Fallout 4 which I can't tolerate vanilla at all.

Speaking of bugs that have existed since Bethesda started using Gamebryo, I still think that people have unduly nailed this game to the fucking cross. 76 doesn't exist in a vacuum. We were clearly headed towards something like this for a long time and the bugs/engine in general have been a problem for a long time. Where the fuck were these outrage Youtuber cunts when Fallout 4 and Skyrim released?

I can at least respect someone who shit on Oblivion/Fallout 3/Skyrim/Fallout 4 but people who shit on 76 that loved Fallout 4? Especially when it comes to complaints about bugginess. The same bugs in 76 existed in Fallout 4.

They don't call them Bugthesda for no reason, people have been "moaning" about their bugs with every release.

People moaned more about Fallout 76 than the others because there are no mods or console to get around them.

Codex Year of the Donut

Non-plugin mods work.
It's still better than FO4 because it's an actual RPG.

Myobi

Liturgist

Mud'

Scholar
People moaned more about Fallout 76 than the others because there are no mods or console to get around them.

Counter point; console players, they cant use mods and are a big part of players of Skyrim/FO4.

As a raw game, i prefer 100% FO76 (Wastelanders) over FO4 because i played them both in PS4 and both are a shitshow, but FO76 is a better shitshow than FO4.

On PC things are different because you can polish and shape the turd that is FO4 but at the end of the day you are still working on a turd.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom