Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout et tu (Fallout to Fallout 2 engine conversion)

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Whats with this religious zeal about playing the original? Just play the better version. Do these people also play Elder Scrolls games unmodded, because its more "authentic"? Do they replay VTMB without the unofficial patch, since its not "tournament legal" or whatever the fuck memes?
You hate to see it folks. Sad.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Do these people also play Elder Scrolls games unmodded, because its more "authentic"?

No, I don't play Elder Scrolls at all - because it's shit.

Do they replay VTMB without the unofficial patch

I've played all Interplay, Black Isle and Troika games without mods, on and off, since their inception.

I love the old games, bugs and all.

It's better than some scrub coming along 20 years later, telling me how to play. One fix-mod that I think is worthy is Temple+ (but I still recommend the original over it).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
My problem with these kinds of mods is that they change the nature of the game. When you shove Fallout and Baldur's Gate into sequel engines, thousands of things change, but the modders usually document only changes that they think are marketable to the mainstream community, such as "convenience" and "aesthetic" changes (Beamdog being the prime example). They rarely bother documenting how their mod adversely affects the original, authoritative experience. Which is where commentators/critics come in.

Why on earth would a IE veteran who is also a combatfag ever play vanilla BG again? Already in my first playthrough the game started boring me because it was too easy with no Call for Help scripts, for example.
Sword Coast Strategems elevates a mediocre game (in the opinion of this combatfag, at least) to a minor masterpiece.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
[Why on earth would a IE veteran who is also a combatfag ever play vanilla BG again? Already in my first playthrough the game started boring me because it was too easy with no Call for Help scripts, for example. Sword Coast Strategems elevates a medicore game (in the opinion of this combatfag, at least) to a minor masterpiece.

It seems you're a victim of early onset dementia? I've written what amounts to an essay on this topic.

Now, go and play IWD2. I want to read what you write about it (I enjoyed your IWD write-up).

Curratum

I don't think Lilura is capable of producing three posts in a row without the word "authoritative" in them.

The equivalent of this level of autism is telling people who don't play Doom or Quake in the DOS .exe are doing it wrong and are missing out on the "authoritative" experience of those games.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I don't think Lilura is capable of producing three posts in a row without the word "authoritative" in them.

The equivalent of this level of autism is telling people who don't play Doom or Quake in the DOS .exe are doing it wrong and are missing out on the "authoritative" experience of those games.

You're overlooking that both Doom and Quake are open-sourced

Last edited:

Curratum

Are you implying that Beamdog did not have access to Baldur's Gate source code, because they did...

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

So is Jagged Alliance 2. It doesn't seem to matter. :M

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Are you implying that Beamdog did not have access to Baldur's Gate source code, because they did...

more like vultures picking apart corpses than proper open source ports

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Can it really be an authoritative experience if you don't have an old CRT monitor, a mechanical ball mouse, and homework to do instead of playing?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

And for the last six months, you haven't been able to post three times in a row without mentioning me.

This topic was on-topic before the troll-'tards dropped in.

Also, to the 'tard who sarcastically asked if I play on cathode raytube, I actually do. From my blog:

sony%2Btrinitron%2Bcrt.jpg

jaydee2k

Savant
HERESY! Who needs something like this. Fallout is fine how it is.
Playing as a bald-headed vault dweller? Ah come on...
Same counts for extra weapons etc...

EDIT: NOT TO MENTION THE PUNK GIRL :lol:

And don't get me started on Fallout Fixt you morons. When youre in the desperate need to tweak Fallout
a little bit do it by yourselfs. Isn't that difficult to install team x patches or sfall.
But stay away from Fixt. Broken crap!

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Can it really be an authoritative experience if you don't have an old CRT monitor, a mechanical ball mouse, and homework to do instead of playing?
Implying the homework mattered.

Lexx

Cipher
Party members doing their own thing is the better experience, imo. However, being able to set combat distance, preferred weapon, the amount of burst to apply, etc. is an improvement I don't want to miss anymore.

I fail to see the appeal of making the first game like Fallout 2. Fallout 1 was a amazing game, with memorable characters, quests, combats and a very interesting world. Fallout 2 cut out almost everything of interest: The game is wildly unbalanced, so boring and repetitive and lacking in interesting quests and characters and a horrible slog whose only appeal is the combat and the endgame, which is the only exciting part.

Lexx

Cipher
I fail to see the appeal of making the first game like Fallout 2. Fallout 1 was a amazing game, with memorable characters, quests, combats and a very interesting world. Fallout 2 cut out almost everything of interest: The game is wildly unbalanced, so boring and repetitive and lacking in interesting quests and characters and a horrible slog whose only appeal is the combat and the endgame, which is the only exciting part.

Ok but nothing of that was changed. Do you think we added trashmob dungeons to Fo1, cut interesting quest and replaced existing characters with boring ones?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom