Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Good Old Games
Donate to Codex
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: Sonora - new Fallout mod from the Fallout: Nevada team - now available in Russian

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Anyway- how does Sonora's arsenal compare with Nevada's?
The biggest change is that Small Guns is now pistols and SMGs while Big Guns rifles and shotguns

Wait, what? That's one hell of a weird change.
Personally I thought a big issue with Fallout of Nevada was the fact they stuck with the clearly unbalanced SPECIAL of FO2, when current modding capabilities would easily allow them to change and rebalance it, thanks to SFALL.

But making Small guns be pistols and SMGs while Big Guns are now rifles and shotguns is rather strange and atypical.

Did they change anything else? And where the real big guns are placed now?
This comes around fine.

Sonora has more "realistic" (in classic post-apo sense of the word) roster of enemies - no supermuties, guys in PA, deathclaws and heavy robots; most enemies are rather soft. Thus, low-level guns stay valid till the end and really big guns are rare (yes, they still covered by big guns skill). The game is perfectly finishable with small guns since some pistols are really powerful.

If anything, this helps to bring more weapon variance since let's admit that, there are little reasons to use pistols in vanilla Fallouts where you can almost always be better off with a rifle. Here, you can have a proper pistol build; heh, this is what I did at my first playthrough, actually.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Well that's good to hear. So how is the game compared to Nevada honestly?

Is there an in depth Codex review for this coming anytime soon?

Anyway- how does Sonora's arsenal compare with Nevada's?
The biggest change is that Small Guns is now pistols and SMGs while Big Guns rifles and shotguns

Wait, what? That's one hell of a weird change.
Personally I thought a big issue with Fallout of Nevada was the fact they stuck with the clearly unbalanced SPECIAL of FO2, when current modding capabilities would easily allow them to change and rebalance it, thanks to SFALL.

But making Small guns be pistols and SMGs while Big Guns are now rifles and shotguns is rather strange and atypical.

Did they change anything else? And where the real big guns are placed now?
This comes around fine.

Sonora has more "realistic" (in classic post-apo sense of the word) roster of enemies - no supermuties, guys in PA, deathclaws and heavy robots; most enemies are rather soft. Thus, low-level guns stay valid till the end and really big guns are rare (yes, they still covered by big guns skill). The game is perfectly finishable with small guns since some pistols are really powerful.

If anything, this helps to bring more weapon variance since let's admit that, there are little reasons to use pistols in vanilla Fallouts where you can almost always be better off with a rifle. Here, you can have a proper pistol build; heh, this is what I did at my first playthrough, actually.

So its more of a low-level Fallout adventure? Kinda odd, but interesting. I'm game... or will be when the translation comes out.

Classic Fallouts do have some good pistols, almost ridiculously so - .44 Magnum Revolver, Needler, .223 Pistol, etc. But yeah, usually the best guns were long-range sniping rifles, SMGs or automatic shotguns, at least until the energy/BG/Gauss stuff started showing up.

I find it funny you say that there's little reason for a pistol build in the Classic Fallouts, because I pretty much finished Fallout of Nevada as a Finesse Pistoleer. Spent most of the game shooting .44 Magnum into people's eyes and limbs. Old Revolver is likely the best early game pistol, and the Magnum lasted me to the final boss himself. Hell, I fought
The Reaper using a Gauss Rifle*/Magnum kit, fucker broke my arm during the fight so I had to waste his ass with MAGNUM MIGHT. Fucking weirdass government supersoldier was no match for the power of a good high-powered six shooter.
*I got the Gauss Rifle by knocking the Sheriff out and then stealing his gun from his unconcious ass hohohohohohohohohohhohohoho.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I find it funny you say that there's little reason for a pistol build in the Classic Fallouts, because I pretty much finished Fallout of Nevada as a Finesse Pistoleer.
Well, Nevada is mostly soft as well so these builds are valid too. Kinda harder in F2 with all the endgame enemies with so much AC that they ignore any non-crit damage

I find it funny you say that there's little reason for a pistol build in the Classic Fallouts, because I pretty much finished Fallout of Nevada as a Finesse Pistoleer.
Well, Nevada is mostly soft as well so these builds are valid too. Kinda harder in F2 with all the endgame enemies with so much AC that they ignore any non-crit damage

True.

(althrough that Magnum in FO2 is good enough to last you to NCR if you do a Fast Shot build. Seriously, try it)

One issue I felt with Nevada is that there's a massive difficulty jump in the endgame. Like, even at Salt Lake you're mostly fighting random dudes in leather/metal armor and whatnot, and then when you take the train, you end up in FO2 lategame tier fights, which is just wtf. It goes from "easy peasy" to "time for the rape". Then again, maybe I spent too long levelling up in New Reno and stuff because I wanted to get the car.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well You could decide the fate of New Reno, Redding and Gecko ensuring either NCR growth or Vault City raising as its contender, of course FNV went the former route which is bit meh. What made F02 fun was that you could ignore all those politicking and take care of your people only so it was third choice Free California (Or Oregon).

Alphons

Cipher
Nevada has more content, and the quest design is more varied. But at the same time story-wise it's a jumbled mess.
Sonora is smaller, focused and cohesive. It also has almost zero zany lolrandom stuff.

What made Nevada really shine was how it used FO's entire skill system- Barter checks to get access to better stock, entire surgery quest locked behind Doctor skill, several Repair tasks in every town, heist quest locked behind Steal check, Gambling quest solutions, etc.

How does it look in Sonora?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Nevada has more content, and the quest design is more varied. But at the same time story-wise it's a jumbled mess.
Sonora is smaller, focused and cohesive. It also has almost zero zany lolrandom stuff.

What made Nevada really shine was how it used FO's entire skill system- Barter checks to get access to better stock, entire surgery quest locked behind Doctor skill, several Repair tasks in every town, heist quest locked behind Steal check, Gambling quest solutions, etc.

How does it look in Sonora?
it's slightly less ambitious and a bit formulaic.

Repair is very useful since there are plenty of places where you must repair something in order to progress, but the game gives you "spare parts" which can be used on a broken thing to lower the skillcheck difficulty. Repair can be also used to craft ammo, although i didn't find it all that useful. You can get a lot of mileage out of Doctor skill, but it's done in a rather uninventive way - each town has a token wounded guy (a villager who got shot by raiders, an injured slave, some poisoned guy, etc etc) - basically just some extra XP. Science, in addition to hacking electronic doors, can be used to get extra XP too - you can use it on environmental props (like computers or other prewar tech) to get some bits of lore. Pickpocket is useful cuz the ammo is very-very scarce and you can get some extra bullets by stealing from guards, but i didn't found any quest-related opportunities to use it. Barter - idk, i didn't level it, but Pope Amole did a video where he mentioned Barter opening you some extra possibilities.

Regarding the combat skills - all of the main quests are designed in a way so you can avoid the unneccessary bloodshed. I didn't try to be pacifist but something tells me that Sonora can be reliably beaten without killing anyone.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Regarding the combat skills - all of the main quests are designed in a way so you can avoid the unneccessary bloodshed. I didn't try to be pacifist but something tells me that Sonora can be reliably beaten without killing anyone.
Almost. I did it a way back; technically you don't have to kill anyone, but robots near ZAX, rat king and ranger in San-Bramin were to be removed.

Ranger should have a speech option: either a bug or oversight.
Rat king could be killed by dynamite or environmental traps.
But those fucking robots in the bunker... stealth doesn't help, only if you run past and soak damage.

Beans00

Augur
Has there been any update on the translation for this game?

Really enjoyed 1.5 and nevada so I've been really looking forward to this.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Has there been any update on the translation for this game?

Really enjoyed 1.5 and nevada so I've been really looking forward to this.

Was wondering exactly the same.

Seems at least there a Google translated version out, anyone tried it out?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'll ask here. If i am to play one of 1.5 or Nevada, which one i should pick? What's the Codex Consensus(tm) on them?

Beans00

Augur
I'll ask here. If i am to play one of 1.5 or Nevada, which one i should pick? What's the Codex Consensus(tm) on them?

1.5 is harder, smaller and more focused. The whole game is pretty good and I enjoyed the amped up difficulty. There's no real dip in quality throughout, iirc there's 3 major cities, 2 smaller early game cities and a few end game/bonus areas. 1.5 has companions which are pretty well done and some really good branching quest lines.

I've seen people bitch about the end game being too hard but I ripped through it at that point without much difficulty.

Nevada is very good, it's a pure solo adventure and the world feels a lot more grim. There's 3 major cities and probably a dozen minor areas. It takes much longer to get better weapons.

Nevada is fairly easy throughout with random difficulty spikes. Especially at the end sequence where I died more then the rest of the game combined.

Biggest problem with nevada is the uneven quality. New reno makes a return and is fantastic(easily as good as reno in fallout 2), as are most of the smaller areas. Salt lake city is another major location and is decent enough. Las vegas is a garbage location and was probably the last thing they did before the end game. The end game is ok(but you can tell it's pretty rushed) but very poorly translated to the point where it's hilarious.

Both add some fantastic music tracks

Nevada probably took me around 30-35 hours, 1.5 probably around 25. I did everything in both games I could.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
I'm willing to give this a shot but the installation .exe has about a dozen checkboxes still in vatnick-ese, mostly for sFall settings.. A little help from an EE codexer would be appreciated.

Alphons

Cipher
While they had some problems last year, translation leader announced on their Discord that they already translated enough, that even if he had to do it alone he'd finish before 2024.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
FEATURES OF THE ASSEMBLY:

• Official installer created for Nevada Band developers
  • Possibility to choose a clean game, without unofficial additions
  • Ability to choose the original soundtrack from Fallout 1 (at the request of the author of the game)
  • All unofficial add-ons are optional
  • sFall Extended v.4.3.3 & HiRes Patch (by Mr.Stalin). (by Mr.Stalin).
  • Inventory Filter v.2.0 (by Mr.Stalin).
  • Key Mod v.1.2.1 (by Foxx)
  • Auto-opening of doors when passing through them (by Mr.Stalin).
  • Book Seller in Phoenix v.1.5 (by Foxx)
  • A fix_black_locations has been added to the folder with the game (apply only if a black screen is used when entering the location).
From their forum.

Edit: Anything with a version # is clearly the add-ons, and the first choices are for music.
That leaves the 1st 3 boxes for sFall and the bottom one for 20/50%.

Last edited:
Top Bottom