Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout Tactics (in 2020)

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by StaticSpine, Nov 20, 2020.

1. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
    ^
    No, it's taken from the mod.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. razvedchiki Erudite Sad Loser

razvedchiki
    is high char worth it? supposedly you get better recruits and better equipment earlier, though i play with redux and dont know if they have changed how recruits work.

^ Top  
  3. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    It doesn't. But you need a Cha of about 8 at least to get it to work. It basically gives you the next tier of recruits earlier (and access to the Divine Favour perk). Generally, from a min-max point of view, you go Cha 1 or 8.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    From the effective issue, the only one worth a Charisma 8 is the main character. So you can rank up earlier thus can get more troopers easier (and maybe get some extra goods in store to buy but I am not sure and which mod). Later on you can get divine favour which push your highest stat beyond your 10 I think. Seriously, if Cha8 is not on your main character, the gain is too minimal to worth the investment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. razvedchiki Erudite Sad Loser

razvedchiki
    i played some with redux and equilibrium and with 2 char i get 6 recruits to choose in redux and around 10 in equilibrium after the first mission.

^ Top  
  6. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Yeah, one of few things I dont like about two mods. They reduce the difficulty to get recruits. In original game CHa8 has real consequence.

^ Top  
  7. daveyarsegallant Magister Wumao

daveyarsegallant
    Not being able to use melee is a big handicap. I cleared the Supermutant trenches with my melee fighter armed with a power fist. You get access to much more powerful melee weapons earlier compared to guns.

^ Top  
  8. Parsimonious cook Erudite Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In
    Melee is just fine in RT as long as you go with stealth approach (even the Supermutant trenches are doable that way), especially if you do the missions at night time.

^ Top  
  9. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    If you can't one-shot them from stealth, you will be eating a M2 burst at point blank range, probably 2.

^ Top  
  10. Parsimonious cook Erudite Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In
    IIRC if you use a fast attacking weapon (like a knife) you can basically stun-lock enemies and prevent them from fighting back.

^ Top  
  11. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Extreme Haymaker with the fast attack perk is 2 AP only and that is about as fast as you can get, plus it has a stun and knockdown effect on top of that, and it does electricity damage, not normal. Can't remember if a knife is faster than that, but the base damage of the knife is so low that supermutants just laugh at it.

^ Top  
  12. Parsimonious cook Erudite Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In
    Yeah the damage tends to be low, but I remember having a lot of success against both Deathclaws and supermutants by sneaking up on them with 2-3 characters equipped with melee weapons and keeping them knocked down/stun-locked untill they died.

^ Top  
  13. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Try with extreme haymaker. You need a hand-to-hand of about 165 and either AGI or Str 6 or 7 or so. It is by far the most effective hand-to-hand attack in the game. It even makes robots explode.

^ Top  
  14. razvedchiki Erudite Sad Loser

razvedchiki
    played untill rock falls with equilibrium and despite the ammo limitations the run goes well. started with turn based but i mostly use real time to clear trash mob, rushing small groups with melee weapons is fun and saves ammo.
    compared to redux you cant oneshot/get oneshoted as easily and actually need to waste a lot of ammo to kill one mob. in redux you could easily clear the first map solo with the starting submachine gun (with a minmax char that is).

^ Top  
  15. Uncreation Learned

Uncreation
    I remember playing this back in the day and liking it. I did use rt though, because the missions tend to drag on otherwise. Not the best squad based tactics game out there but still decent. I think they kept the Fallout combat and character systems because they didn't want to alienate fans, even though they don't fit that well to a tactics game as others have already said. Ironically, i remember a lot of people hating it back then. I think it's because they wanted Fallout 3 and this wasn't it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    yup, pretty much, and it was sad. the game was good, the combat system was an evolution of fallout's which was considered decent, despite not being jagged alliance 2. but who is?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    The combat system had a few flaws (and bugs) in it that didn't meet the expectations of the traditional Fallout players. You make a character in FT like you did in FO2, and you will be in on a hiding to nowhere. The second reason is that the Fallout style of combat doesn't translate well to RT.

The reaction to FT was what XCom Apoc went through. XCom Apoc was definitely the better game compared to TFTD, with features that no modern game has even dared to emulate, but the RT feature really got a lot of complaints and it got bad reviews.

^ Top  
  18. Jigby Augur

Jigby
    Anybody here has a bn13 account? There's a 1.55 Redux version over there -> https://cutt.ly/ajcIK74

Do we have any Chinese users on the 'Dex? What's it about?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    A few is not enough, it seems.
    :dance:

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. razvedchiki Erudite Sad Loser

razvedchiki
    mining script.

^ Top  
  21. Jigby Augur

Jigby
    Not sure how that works, aren't they checking IP address? Can you link to something specific?
    Or you mean offline hash-cracking? No idea how to go about that :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    ^ Top  
  22. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    It patched a lot of the nonsense that FO2 had, but there were still a few left (Stealth is utterly broken if you know how to abuse it in combat, for example). And the new bugs (burst bug, Sniper bug, etc.) didn't help.

^ Top  
  23. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    What stealth combat abuse? Asking because I dont remember anythin about it. Or maybe because I dont know anything about it.

^ Top  
  24. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Show Spoiler
    In TB, you can stealth if you are out of sight of all enemies AND if you are not the nearest character to ANY enemy. That means if one person hides behind a wall from the enemy, for example, he won't be able to stealth, but if the rest are positioned in such a way that he is the nearest person to all enemies (not hard), THEY can.

The enemy also does not move closer than a certain distance to the nearest person they can detect unless they are melee based. That means you can lure all the melee enemies behind the wall and murder them all while the ranged enemies stay behind the wall waiting for you to move away or around the wall yourself.

These two factors enables you to:
    1. Lure all melee units around the wall.
    2. Kill them all.
    3. Stealth all your units except the one nearest to all of the ranged enemies. Do NOT put them on overwatch.
    4. Make the one guy run away directly from the wall while remaining out of site of all ranged enemies.
    5. Ranged enemies charge around the wall to catch up to the "fleeing" guy.
    6. Ranged enemies have moved. They are not on overwatch any more.
    7. The rest of your squad is still by the wall stealthed, giving them a full round of emptying their guns at any enemy that rounds the wall at point blank range.
    8. Repeat steps 3-7 as necessary if able.

• How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.